• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
RTINGS updated their review since the latest FW update.

As others have already said, local dimming is disabled in Enhanced Format (VRR) mode and the blur at 4k/120 Hz is still present.

VRR minimum coverage is at 48 Hz.

3.png

Input lag at 4k with VRR seems to be 13.3 ms.

4.png

Last edited:

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if the minimum rate will go down with the final update? 48 seems... a little high for a minimum, doesn't it?

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I'm glad I haven't installed that update yet and turned off auto updates.

Speaking of that update, does anyone know if Sony fixed the bug when displaying 720p content in Game mode? There would be a portion at the top of the screen that would be messed up.

Nov 14, 2017
wtf? has anyone in this thread that has the update installed noticed any issues watching movies or shows? this is probably what happens on our tv ~ 75% of the time so I don't want to ruin it...
Is it just from the internal apps or external sources too? I watch most if not all my content via my PS5/XSS and I haven't noticed anything weird since the update.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, so for example playing a 4K blu-ray via Xbox Series X would now have stutters with the update? How is it always 1 step forward 1 step back with Sony on this damn TV?

yrcmlived

Jan 29, 2020
But in the end, do you think that the last firwmare improve the HDR peak?
Old firmwares decreased this aspected

arnes91

Oct 1, 2021
wtf? has anyone in this thread that has the update installed noticed any issues watching movies or shows? this is probably what happens on our tv ~ 75% of the time so I don't want to ruin it...
People on another forum are reporting stuttering issues. I am using the latest FW but have not such issues, it may be that the US model has the issue while the EU does not.

I also do not use the TV as a standard TV with channels, but watch movies and other content via apps like kodi, plex and similar. Maybe the issue is not present via apps and only if watching channel TV?

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone refresh my memory? Is the Wi-Fi not working half the time an old bug or a new one. This fucking TV man…

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
How much latency does dolby vision game add on xh90? I'm on series x here. And I gotta say the colours do look prettier when using DV, but I heard it had latency?

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
RTINGS updated their review since the latest FW update.

As others have already said, local dimming is disabled in Enhanced Format (VRR) mode and the blur at 4k/120 Hz is still present.

VRR minimum coverage is at 48 Hz.

3.png

Input lag at 4k with VRR seems to be 13.3 ms.

4.png
What do they mean it doesn't support G-SYNC? Anyone with an NVIDIA GPU is screwed?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Did the local dimming get worse with this update? (not using VRR, just normal game mode)
I am on Medium/Medium with local dimming and x-tendet light and I notice a lot more blooming :(

yrcmlived

Jan 29, 2020
Did the local dimming get worse with this update? (not using VRR, just normal game mode)
I am on Medium/Medium with local dimming and x-tendet light and I notice a lot more blooming :(

I'm in high/high and I'm fine, in any case it's not sure at 100% but this 6.1288 rises the brightness up, so more light more blooming
Some useres on other forum did rework the hdr brightness setting

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I don't like high local dimming as it ovetbrightens details. I wish contrast enhancer would not be trash on this TV, there is constant flickering in moving or fading poctures. Even my cheap Samsung has a better contrast enhancer...

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
lol fucking hell, so it's like putting the TV on cinema mode? That feels like shit. Can you still use HDR without dolby vision on Xbox or are people just fucked?
Why wouldn't you be able to use HDR? Just disable Dolby Vision in the Xbox settings.
And yeah, it looks better but it feels god-awful, lol. Gone back to game mode immediately.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't you be able to use HDR? Just disable Dolby Vision in the Xbox settings.
And yeah, it looks better but it feels god-awful, lol. Gone back to game mode immediately.
Just asking, don't know how these Xbox settings work.

My experience watching movies is that there's virtually no discernible difference whatsoever between HDR10 and DV on this TV anyway.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Just asking, don't know how these Xbox settings work.

My experience watching movies is that there's virtually no discernible difference whatsoever between HDR10 and DV on this TV anyway.
Ah alright, sorry.
HDR Game mode is a little bit more washed-out and depending on the game you can't really tweak it. DV HDR with games that already support it look much more vivid (also the image in general is nicer). Shame about the lag....

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I had so many wifi issues with the update before the most recent one, that I ended up running ethernet to my tv. I'd highly suggest it if you can.
same, I ended up getting tired of turning the TV on and being greeted by "no internet connection" so I ran ethernet to it. Not sure if it ever got fixed in an update after that, but it was very annoying

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Ah alright, sorry.
HDR Game mode is a little bit more washed-out and depending on the game you can't really tweak it. DV HDR with games that already support it look much more vivid (also the image in general is nicer). Shame about the lag....

they really need a DV game mode which I believe some TVs have

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ah alright, sorry.
Don't see the point of Dolby Vision in games frankly if we have to sacrifice input lag.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
What are the best Xbox settings for this TV? Leave "Dolby Vision for Gaming" off but leave on regular "Dolby Vision" for the media apps?
I set the external connection settings of the TV for HDMI3 where my Xbox is connected to Optimized to get the 120hz if I want, but I set my Series X to 60hz/UHD and only disabled Dolby Vision for Gaming in the Video modes screen.

Don't see the point of Dolby Vision in games frankly if we have to sacrifice input lag.
Yeah it's a bummer.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else seeing a weird visual glitch when using streaming apps now? It's like about every 15 or 20 seconds it's like a completely different image shows for like a millisecond or something. I've seen it on Netflix and my HBO app.

HDTVTest/Vincent's latest video on v6.1288's VRR implementation and bugs
OP
OP

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017

According to Vincent/HDTVTest's testing, the VRR implementation in v6.1288 is pretty awful (refresh rate is stuck at 60hz leading to motion blur/smearing, higher input lag, and disabled local dimming).

Vincent also talks about the stuttering with 23.976fps content and a potential workaround.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017

According to Vincent/HDTVTest's testing, the VRR implementation in v6.1288 is pretty awful (refresh rate is stuck at 60hz leading to motion blur/smearing, higher input lag, and disabled local dimming).

Vincent also talks about the stuttering with 23.976fps content and a potential workaround.

I could not really see what he was talking about with the stuttering. I guess I could tell the one image didn't look as perfectly smooth as the other, but how does that translate to an actual movie? what will I notice?

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
You can't judge stutter from a YouTube video. I trust Vincent when he says it is an issue, but I'm not sure what the point was of putting that in there.

Jun 10, 2018
yeah I just need it dumbed down for me. Like what does it look like in practice? Is it super noticeable when watching a movie?
It's basically a single frame skip, so it will look like a slight stutter. It may not sound like much, but when a movie is shot at 24fps and one frame skips it can be quite noticeable.

And I am not quite sure if Vincent is correct about the smearing being the result of it displaying at 60hz with VRR on. I have had the TV for a year and have never seen the kind of smearing that I experienced with VRR on. I played a lot of 60hz (and 120hz) games with my Series X on this TV. It almost seems like any kind of pixel overdrive is either being disabled or significantly reduced when VRR is on.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically a single frame skip, so it will look like a slight stutter. It may not sound like much, but when a movie is shot at 24fps and one frame skips it can be quite noticeable.

And I am not quite sure if Vincent is correct about the smearing being the result of it displaying at 60hz with VRR on. I have had the TV for a year and have never seen the kind of smearing that I experienced with VRR on. I played a lot of 60hz (and 120hz) games with my Series X on this TV. It almost seems like any kind of pixel overdrive is either being disabled or significantly reduced when VRR is on.

my tv literally just got pushed the update so I'm wavering on if I install or not. I've been plagued with eArc problems and hope that this update fixes them. But if it means that watching a 4K blu ray is gonna be F'd now…. I don't know what to do.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
my tv literally just got pushed the update so I'm wavering on if I install or not. I've been plagued with eArc problems and hope that this update fixes them. But if it means that watching a 4K blu ray is gonna be F'd now…. I don't know what to do.

Personally I would wait. My A90J is due the VRR update later in the year so you might see a better version then. You won't want to even use VRR the way it is implemented now so I don't see the point updating.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would wait. My A90J is due the VRR update later in the year so you might see a better version then. You won't want to even use VRR the way it is implemented now so I don't see the point updating.

yeah I won't use the VRR function as it is currently. I just want the eArc dropouts to be fixed

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
A fun thing that's been happening since the latest update: the tv no longer reads the HDMI input my Switch is connected to. I need to switch HDMI ports every time I want to play Switch.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA