• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is a new one for me. My RE4 game crashed and I loaded the game to find out my saves were gone

OXjMIaJ.png

I was telling myself there's no way my saves are gone, so I check the save folder and fair enough they're still there

5og8uu0.png

so i relaunch the game and find this:

w7FWrYT.png

RE4 literally orders you to delete your saves if you want to keep playing the game. If you do not delete your saves, you can literally start a new game, save that new game, and the game will refuse to load that save unless you delete everything that you have ever accomplished, period.

If this isn't bad enough, you cannot even easily delete your save because Steam has cloud saves, meaning that the saves will be downloaded from the cloud if you delete them. This means that the average user will be stuck in a perpetual loop of not being able to delete their saves like Capcom orders them to. Keep in mind at this point that these saves exist and are perfectly usable, the game just flat-out refuses to recognize them.

So Capcom's answer for the average user is to disable steam cloud, delete your saves, close steam, restart steam, , launch the game, play the game until you can save, then close the game, re-activate steam cloud, choose local cloud to overwrite, and then you are allowed to play the game. And also your old saves are gone, and all your challenges are gone too. You are back to 0.

This steam thread features an involved to-do to trick RE4R into recognizing your saves again: https://steamcommunity.com/app/2050650/discussions/0/3827536762637806204/
but you will still lose all your challenge points and have to replay the game again to get those challenge points back

this also means that if you ever have a save issue, you will always be fucked out of your challenge points and they will go back to zero

who is this helping? this is a singleplayer game going scorched earth about saves that still exist and work. Actual always-online multiplayer games don't eveb do this shit because they have an actual cloud backup plan so you don't lose everything you have because of a crash. But RE4 Remake does. This is ridiculous

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. If the game says the save files are corrupted, how do you know they're "perfectly usable"?

Obviously it's still a huge problem if an RE4 crash corrupts your save files, but it sounds like the damage is already done.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. RE4 needs to keep a rolling backup of your old saves to prevent this sort of thing.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I would refuse that order! Can't tell me what to do. Hopefully capcom fixes this, though.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I have gotten into the habit of backing up my saves for every game I play regularly because of absolutely bizarre stuff like this. I think the game that actually got me to start doing it was Metro Exodus though I don't remember what the reason was there.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. If the game says the save files are corrupted, how do you know they're "perfectly usable"?
Yeah, I doubt that the backed up saves are actually OK unless you recovered your saves that were made BEFORE the crash. And since the corruption apparently happened as the game crashed, Steam uploaded the corrupted files immediately after they were created and overwrote your working saves.

Unfortunately, Steam Cloud doesn't keep old versions of your save files on hand like dedicated cloud storage apps, so it sounds like you're screwed.

The only way to mitigate the damage would be to occasionally back up your save files manually, which is a pretty lousy solution. Capcom needs to add some kind of save recovery function to the game.

edit: It also sounds like the save files work in conjunction with each other. One or two system save files hold the data about unlocked bonus stuff (costumes, models, weapons, etc), and then there are the individual save files that are created each time you save your game. You were apparently able to restore the second kind of save, but your system save file was busted so you lost the unlock data.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Obviously it's still a huge problem if an RE4 crash corrupts your save files, but it sounds like the damage is already done.
my 3 manual saves are pristine, the date on them is from before the crash happened. only one "save" was really corrupted and it's the system data, and that system data being corrupted means capcom will force you to delete your actual *game* saves that haven't been touched.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
my 3 manual saves are pristine, the date on them is from before the crash happened except for the autosave (data00-1.bin). only one "save" was really corrupted and it's the system data, and that system data being corrupted means capcom will force you to delete your actual *game* saves that haven't been touched.

Ah, got it. I also went back and read that Steam thread you posted (apologies for not understanding what this was about before) and now I get it. The steps it suggests roughly match what I was going to suggest: move the save files that weren't touched out of the save folder, delete the other corrupted save, and basically reset the game to a clean install (including Steam Cloud) before moving the working old save files back in.

That actually seems good to me because it means your saves are actually (mostly) fine once you can convince the game to actually use them. But yeah, there's still the core problem of data loss on game crash because of the challenge points issue (and I'm guessing it also loses your game settings and whatnot), and ideally Capcom would just make it so either a) the system save gets backed up in some way or b) it finds a better way to recover from corrupted system saves.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Coincidentally, I made a sys link to the RE4 save location into its install directory two days ago to have easier access to the game saves. Time to do a backup.

Oct 25, 2017
I have gotten into the habit of backing up my saves for every game I play regularly because of absolutely bizarre stuff like this. I think the game that actually got me to start doing it was Metro Exodus though I don't remember what the reason was there.

Could be related to how it autosaves, and there are a few annoying bugs not fixed, like how a spider crawling on you animation can get 'stuck' permanently with the spider sound playing in your rear channel for the rest of your game unless some random other action might remove it.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Yeah, I doubt that the backed up saves are actually OK unless you recovered your saves that were made BEFORE the crash. And since the corruption apparently happened as the game crashed, Steam uploaded the corrupted files immediately after they were created and overwrote your working saves.

Unfortunately, Steam Cloud doesn't keep old versions of your save files on hand like dedicated cloud storage apps, so it sounds like you're screwed.

The only way to mitigate the damage would be to occasionally back up your save files manually, which is a pretty lousy solution. Capcom needs to add some kind of save recovery function to the game.

edit: It also sounds like the save files work in conjunction with each other. One or two system save files hold the data about unlocked bonus stuff (costumes, models, weapons, etc), and then there are the individual save files that are created each time you save your game. You were apparently able to restore the second kind of save, but your system save file was busted so you lost the unlock data.
Oh wow, so I guess I will now create backups for my saves just in case just like I ended up doing with Elden Ring, as I experience that same issue, luckily the first time I started the game, but it happened more times after that, but I was already prepared by keeping various backups of the saves.
GameSave Manager, here I go I again (As soon as RE4 Remake is supported)

Well, I guess that would be using that when is ready.

Edit: They have a similar tool on Nexus Mods called EZ Auto Backup.

Last edited:

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
That's spooky. I'd be very disappointed if my file were to get corrupted. :(

What's the best way to prevent this?
Would a backup work?

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
REmake 4 adopting some of the wilder Eternal Darkness features.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
There's another problem.

If you fill the slots on RE4 PC, the game takes 5 minutes to boot up ...

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh, time to set up Syncthing to version backup my saves and profile data to protect myself on this.

PC ports are really testing me these days, it's like they want me to go back to console only gaming.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, time to set up Syncthing to version backup my saves and profile data to protect myself on this.

PC ports are really testing me these days, it's like they want me to go back to console only gaming.
this isnt a pc only problem, i had my ff15 ps4 save corrupt after a power outage, if a game autosaves data, there will always be a risk of save corruption durring unexpected crashes no matter the platform

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
this isnt a pc only problem, i had my ff15 ps4 save corrupt after a power outage, if a game autosaves data, there will always be a risk of save corruption durring unexpected crashes no matter the platform

You're right, and at least the PC platform affords me the option to setup a backup solution to make sure nothing is irreversibly lost.

Now I'm thinking of getting a UPS for my consoles so this doesn't happen, the worry is now lodged in my head šŸ˜…

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Welp time to make a manual back right now! Thanks for the heads up OP