• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looked on US PSN and don't think any PS1 Classic games I owned are out yet. Checked JP PSN and one was (Jumping Flash) but they wanted 100 yen from me to download it. Not sure if that is just that game or if others are the same.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Looking back at what Sony said when the new service was announced, they clearly said that you will be able to download all the games you already own, but not all classic games will be available for individual purchase.

It's bullshit that they're blocking me from downloading the games I own.

Also, players who have previously purchased the digital version of select games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5. When these titles are released for PS4 and PS5, players can head to PlayStation Store and download a version for the consoles at no extra cost if they already own the digital version of the title. Some of the titles will also be available for individual purchase.

blog.playstation.com

All-new PlayStation Plus game lineup: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Demon’s Souls, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut, NBA 2K22, and more join the service

Ape Escape, Super Stardust Portable,Syphon Filter, and Tekken 2, are among the classic games with a new user experience.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
And RE:DC isn't the infamous DualShock version with the awful music! It's the good version!

Come on, Capcom...let me give you my money!

OP
OP

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I don't know why I thought this might change if I waited, but with the games launching in Europe today I still can't buy Resident Evil or Tekken 2.

Interestingly Super Stardust, a Sony game, also isn't available.

This is such a frustration. So many great games will be locked behind a subscription.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Bizarre and annoying. One of the things I was afraid of making games only accessible through a subscription. Weird its capcom/namco doing it though. You'd think Sony would be more inclined to do it for their games rather than 3rd parties.
I guess it's some legal issue because I don't see how it benefits 3rd parties to do it, but still annoying/sad its an issue regardless.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Probably there's some legal reason why they can't sell these games, but can put on a subscription service.

I think it's good that games like this can still be released.

Tho RE was available to buy on ps3/vita
So was Tekken 2+RRT4 as a bundle. I purchased Kurushi but I can't add it to my library on ps5.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There was a bug that Sony fixed where REDC had a price of £9.50 when it was uploaded to the UK store last night, it also allowed you to download it if you owned it on PS3. It seems that even if Capcom games will be exclusive to Premium it might not be a permanent thing considering they went through the trouble of linking up REDC to the original PS3 purchase.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
So was Tekken 2+RRT4 as a bundle. I purchased Kurushi but I can't add it to my library on ps5.
Yeah, the same issue with Kurushi, it shows at full price (even checked purchase history – it shows that I bought it in 2012). On other hand, I was able to add RE1:DC and Wild Arms.

Edit: perhaps the reason is that on PS3/Vita it was Kurushi Final, but on PS4/PS5 og Kurushi.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Looking back at what Sony said when the new service was announced, they clearly said that you will be able to download all the games you already own, but not all classic games will be available for individual purchase.

It's bullshit that they're blocking me from downloading the games I own.

In the very first line of the announcement you quoted it says 'of select games'. Not all games. The line you bolded is in reference to those select games.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
My one hope with this is that Sony is still sorting out negotiations and that these games will be purchasable once that's done. But honestly the most realistic thing is that both Capcom and Namco are taking a hard 'we want control over our legacy titles release strategy' line and are blocking purchases as a result.
I don't know about that. Why wouldn't they want to sell the games on their own if they're bringing them back anyway? If anything, I think it's more likely Sony paid a little extra to keep some of these games exclusive to the service to give a bit more value. Hopefully only for a time, though.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just went on my PS5 now and I can download and play RE Director's Cut because I owned it on PS3/P/Vita as a PS1 classic? I don't have any of the higher tier PS+ subs fwiw, so I thought I wouldn't have been able to play it despite that. Apologies if this was known already but it caught me off guard lol.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the same issue with Kurushi, it shows at full price (even checked purchase history – it shows that I bought it in 2012). On other hand, I was able to add RE1:DC and Wild Arms.

Edit: perhaps the reason is that on PS3/Vita it was Kurushi Final, but on PS4/PS5 og Kurushi.
IIRC resident evil on Vita was not DC and yet I've now got DC on my PS5. I'm confused.

OP
OP

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Is the only way to buy Resident Evil DC through a PS3 then? There's no other way of buying the old version?

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
It's Square Enix...they just won't support it lol
It's cool that Wild Arms is actually one of the few games with trophies!

But Final Fantasy? The rereleases are all on the sub so no way they are making the PS1 versions available. I'm personally really hoping for Xenogears to finally get a release in Europe.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So I just went on my PS5 now and I can download and play RE Director's Cut because I owned it on PS3/P/Vita as a PS1 classic? I don't have any of the higher tier PS+ subs fwiw, so I thought I wouldn't have been able to play it despite that. Apologies if this was known already but it caught me off guard lol.
Yeah, I think it's on game per game basis, but the two games I already owned back on PS3, so RE DC and Abe's Oddysee, are available to download for free for me on PS4, even without any PS Plus sub whatsoever.

What I'm not sure about is what happens if you buy a game from the PS4/Vita store now. Toy Story 2 is only £1.60 on the old store, but £4.99 on the PS4. Like I don't know if that'd let you upgrade for free, or if that one even supports this cross gen upgrade or what lol.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just bought Resident Evil on the EU PS3 store and it let me download on PS5.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So, I get we can't get RE: DC for free here in the US, because it's different from the DualShock edition on PS3, but why can't we buy it?

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW:

Super Stardust Portable (a Sony-published game) does NOT allow you to download without a sub, even if you previously purchased it (USA).

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
It's the Dualshock version on PS3. The one on PS+ is regular DC. They're different games.
Depends on store I guess. In UK PS Store it should be DC on PS3, I remember I bought it separately in 2012

L8zxSwL.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
So I got hold of a PS3 and bought Resi1-3 so hopefully I should be sorted for those games should they all come to PS4/5. Resi 1 for sure does work which is nice (I'm EU).

But I wasn't able to buy Tekken 2 which has been de-listed and it looks like we never got Dino Crisis 1&2 so I expect I'll be locked out from those games too which I'm very angry about.

I do have Ridge Racer Type 4 though and that's one of the games I most want.

This whole situation is terrible.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Access through subscription is one of the reasons I never dabbled in MMORPGs. Make these games for sale.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
So I got hold of a PS3 and bought Resi1-3 so hopefully I should be sorted for those games should they all come to PS4/5. Resi 1 for sure does work which is nice (I'm EU).

But I wasn't able to buy Tekken 2 which has been de-listed and it looks like we never got Dino Crisis 1&2 so I expect I'll be locked out from those games too which I'm very angry about.

I think Re doesn't work because the PS3 one is a different version from the one available on Plus. It shouldn't recognize the purchase you did on PS3.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think Re doesn't work because the PS3 one is a different version from the one available on Plus. It shouldn't recognize the purchase you did on PS3.

We didn't get Dual Shock in Europe, so both versions on PS3 and PS4/5 are the same game in EU.

I think we can infer from the EU version that the reason it doesn't work in the US is because the US version on PS3 was Dual Shock and the one on PS4/5 is the original Directors Cut version.

As for Tekken 2, that is undoubtedly Namco refusing to link up Tekken 2 from PS3 and PS4/5. I do worry for Dino Crisis now, actually. At least I got them on the US store.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Ridge Racers 2 I'm worried about - I don't think it was released digitally in Europe, only the first game. I'd love for that to come to the service.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
We didn't get Dual Shock in Europe, so both versions on PS3 and PS4/5 are the same game in EU.

I think we can infer from the EU version that the reason it doesn't work in the US is because the US version on PS3 was Dual Shock and the one on PS4/5 is the original Directors Cut version.

As for Tekken 2, that is undoubtedly Namco refusing to link up Tekken 2 from PS3 and PS4/5. I do worry for Dino Crisis now, actually. At least I got them on the US store.
So if I purchase Re 1 from my PS3 it will be available on PS4 and PS5?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
But the big question for me is why aren't they allowing purchases in the first place? What do Namco and Capcom gain from that?

OP
OP

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
So if I purchase Re 1 from my PS3 it will be available on PS4 and PS5?
I am in the U.K. I bought it on PS3 and it is now available on PS4/5.

The main issue is not being able to buy Capcom games on PS4/5. It's really aggravating as those are some of the best classics on the PS1 system.

Side point: i bought Resi 2 and Resi 3 in anticipation, but I'm worried those purchases won't be honoured when they eventually come to PS+ because technically the EU versions of those games are NTSC 'imports'.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
But the big question for me is why aren't they allowing purchases in the first place? What do Namco and Capcom gain from that?

They probably got a bigger payout from Sony for making them exclusive to Premium so Sony could sell subscriptions.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The funniest part is having them exclusive but with no trophies I feel makes it easier to "ignore" for most.
We all want classic games at the end of the day but I feel having trophies "locked" behind a sub would entice more people than without.

Thankfully we're not dealing with that yet.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
They probably got a bigger payout from Sony for making them exclusive to Premium so Sony could sell subscriptions.
Could they be "timed" exclusive then, and eventually become available to purchase? My worry is that when the sub exclusive games like RE1 inevitably get cycled out of the sub (which I imagine would happen eventually as they are third-party games that Sony would only be able to add the sub for a limited time), there just isn't going to be any way to play them on PS4/5 at that point.