Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
After almost 7 months, The House in Fata Morgana is finally on sale once again so I thought I'd make this thread in case anyone else has been hoping to get this game digitally a little bit cheaper.

www.nintendo.com

The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

View: https://youtu.be/vv91ls_nUA0?si=6Ec-3830R44VABa_
The trailer song:

View: https://youtu.be/CD3iNmxkpNM?si=DAAWbKJwXYyv7myD

Even though I bought it, the timing is just a bit off for me since I just started playing Witch on the Holy Night a couple of days ago, but can't wait to eventually get to this one as well, since I've heard so many amazing things about it.

If you are into VNs, this game sounds like a must play, so get it while it's discounted.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Good deal just in terms of the amount of content you get. And yeah, it's an essential read if you're interested in visual novels. Hope you enjoy it -- just go in as blind as possible!

Timodus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing A Requiem for Innocence on PS4 right now, and yes, this is a must play.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I never did actually play it on Switch despite buying it. I guess it doesn't hit quite the same the second time despite still being very good. Never did play the Switch additions though.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is an essential VN for anybody into this sort of game. There's so much I want to say about the game, but all of it would be spoilers. Just get it, read it, and trust that it's going to take you somewhere real.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Best VN ever made IMO, everyone should buy it! Reminds me that I should download the unofficial patch to make the Steam version into the Dreams of the Revevants edition soon.

Read it blind and enjoy!

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Is there any spoiler-ish "hook" to this story that anyone can share? I don't the time or motivation to dive into a 40+ hour visual novel completely blind. For comparison, I read Umineko after learning about the Red Truth, which I thought was an interesting gimmick for a mystery novel.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Is there any spoiler-ish "hook" to this story that anyone can share? I don't the time or motivation to dive into a 40+ hour visual novel completely blind. For comparison, I read Umineko after learning about the Red Truth, which I thought was an interesting gimmick for a mystery novel.

Wouldn't want to give anything away, but you could say there's the hook of stories that seem connected and yet separate and trying to figure out how exactly they're related to one another. Might sound like a familiar enough premise, but the story really does go places.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

it makes you want to stick hot pokers into your soul.

is that a selling point?

what about "it's the videogame version of Requiem for a Dream", is that a selling point?

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Man I've still not started this despite making a US PSN account and getting PSN credit (from Play-Asia 🤮) to buy it a few years ago.

Still waiting on Famicom Detective to go on sale.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on Famicom Detective to go on sale.
Isn't that part of a double deal thingy on eShop where if you buy one the other one is cheaper? I think Bayonetta 2 had a similar deal with Bayonetta 1 and it never went on sale digitally on Switch, so I wouldn't hold my breath for those games to go on sale either if I were you :(
Not on sale in the UK eshop btw
Damn, sorry to hear that.

I'll ask a mod to add "NA" to the title of the thread.

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
Ahh I really need to go and finish the other content for this outside of the main game, heard that it's also really good.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's amazing

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite piece of media ever.

Same. Nothing will ever beat it. It's been my GOTY for two years, I've given the PlayStation port a 100 score on the website I write for, I've bought the physical limited edition for the Vita back then. It's just untouchable and I'm just dying to play it for the third time. Maybe in a few months.

Mar 25, 2019
This might be an odd question but I can't say I engage much with more traditional visual novels, so if I'm currently really liking 1000xResist would I like this? I'm guessing this is a lot more 2D art and text boxes which I would be fine with

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
No PSN discount? Booo. I have it on Switch already, damnit!
For some reason VNs don't go on sale on PSN as much as they do on Switch.

A while back I bought Witch on the Holy Night on Switch in another discount (been playing it in the past few days, very good VN, would recommend), and back then that game wasn't on sale on PSN either.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It presents itself as a gothic horror that eventually spirals into a tale of pain begetting pain and the ugliness and beauty of human nature. I wouldn't say there's a gimmick, though there is suspense and dread abundant. You'll feel it in your chest.

This might be an odd question but I can't say I engage much with more traditional visual novels, so if I'm currently really liking 1000xResist would I like this? I'm guessing this is a lot more 2D art and text boxes which I would be fine with
I'm on ch4 of 1000xResist now. It's that, with text and art and no exploration.

I'd say both tread similar paths. Both are about being placed in a defined world and trying to figure out what happened in the past. Differences would be that Fata Morgana is more gothic horror/suspense, and it is a much more visceral game. I still have to finish 1000xResist, but the level of "ugliness" seems pretty in line with what I expect. If you cut the exploration portions of Resist, it's a fairly snappy tale. Fata Morgana is a slower burn, but since it's an anthology, you do get the classical story structure a few times without it being 20hrs of setup or whatever.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
My favourite piece of media ever.
I must be absolutely crazy.... I thought this game was really meh.

The writing was way to verboise for me. And the music and atmosphere was really unimpressive. And honestly the story was kinda, whatever.

I feel like I'm literally the only person on the Internet who didn't think this game was amazing.

That said I fully recommend it to everyone. It just wasn't for me.

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022

The writing was way to verboise for me. And the music and atmosphere was really unimpressive. And honestly the story was kinda, whatever.

I feel like I'm literally the only person on the Internet who didn't think this game was amazing.

It definitely isn't for everyone, nothing is. There's a few other VNs out there that are considered "kamige" or some of the best of the genre that I generally wasn't a massive fan of, or actually found really boring and ended up dropping (first and one of the very few VNs I've ever dropped) fairly late in in the case of one of them because I just couldn't handle how boring it was any more. Same goes for some other games in other genres as well.

Actually dropped Otogi pretty early in just yesterday because it just wasn't fun at all, despite generally loving most other FromSoft games. I looked up impressions of the game online and just about everyone seemed to love it. Made me feel like I was taking crazy pills for finding the game so meh and boring, lol. Only impressive thing it had going for it imho were the destructible environments, which were pretty cool for a 2002 game.

It's a pity to hear you didn't have a great time with Fata Morgana, but at least you gave it a shot. It's one of those games that's sometimes hard to recommend because it's a VN.

Last edited:

RelaxedSun

Oct 31, 2017
I got this on the Vita in my backlog that I really need to get to. I hear nothing but good things about it.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I got this the other night on sale. It's my first VN on the Switch, and I didn't realize how great the Switch is for VNs. Being able to use a joycon as like a Powerpoint clicker while you prop the tablet onto a pillow and read in bed, is awesome.

I'm about 2 hours in and so far it's fine. Just a regular ol story, nothing fancy (yet?).

Last edited:

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Still need to play Requiem for Innocence and Reincarnation (and anything else). The main game was really strong. Went through lots of emotions and was drained out by the end so I ended up taking a long break

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Grabbed it when it was 50% off (19.99) on the eShop last November, but it's worth this price too. Great VN.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan

I don't like it either really. I didn't go very deep on different endings so it might be a skill issue.

On sale on PSN as well New

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Currently $19.99 with ps+ discount (25.99 without) on PS Store.

The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition

A gothic suspense tale set in a cursed mansion. The House in Fata Morgana is a full-length visual novel spanning nearly a millennium that deals in tragedy, human nature, and insanity. This version includes three games and more 1 The House in Fata Morgana the main storyline. 2 A Requiem for...

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was a read that definitely had ups and downs for me while reading, but then I thought on it so much more after the fact. Wouldn't say it's the pinnacle of the genre, or that it's my favorite thing ever, but it was real good and with time away from it has become real great.

One of the things that still sticks with me most is just how powerful text change can be. seeing text without any punctuation in lowercase doesnt seem so powerful but here we are.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017

A gothic suspense tale set in a cursed mansion. The House in Fata Morgana is a full-length visual novel spanning nearly a millennium that deals in tragedy, human nature, and insanity. This version includes three games and more 1 The House in Fata Morgana the main storyline. 2 A Requiem for...
Nice.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Threadmarked the post.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

Yooooo

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
That's a shame it's only on sale in NA. Just checked the AUS store and it's full price.

I'll wait for a sale.

I only want to buy this on Switch because it's got the other 2 games as part of the package. Epilogue is missing on Steam, so that ruled it out instantly despite being cheaper than the Switch version.