Oct 25, 2017
So many people are using Zoom with open meeting links. Put a password on it and that prevents a lot of this. Same goes for open anonymous links that you can create with Onedrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc.
Because the vast majority of people that are using this have never once in their life done a virtual conference. I'm one of them, its a 15 minute meeting and its hard enough to get 50% attendance with constant questions of what to do, I cannot join, etc. Its crap I know, but when you reach for the lowest form of entry this is no surprise. Not gonna lie, I'll still use it till my school jumps ship.

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
So many people are using Zoom with open meeting links. Put a password on it and that prevents a lot of this. Same goes for open anonymous links that you can create with Onedrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc.
The problem is the default setting.

Onedrive default to share files is via email so only the person with that email can get it. You have to manually switch to an open link.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
my company (with over 150,000 employees) just switched over to Zoom. 🤔

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This has been blowing up a bit on infosec Twitter.

The general feeling among security professionals is that it's "good enough" for most people.

When it comes to security you can't let perfect be the enemy of good. The fact is Zoom is a triumph of usability and UX design, and orgs are flocking to.it on droves given the unprecedented demand for remote working and communication solutions.

Some of the common issues highlighted can be mitigated by changing default settings on meetings (the zoombombing issue) and others have to be accepted as a known risk.

Tl:dr - with a google and some setting changes zoom is good enough for.most people.

For people asking for alternatives, Jitsi was a name I've seen banded about in the security twittersphere.

Hopey

Nov 18, 2019
My whole college is switching to zoom, not sure how they'll see this. Probably wont do a thing

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
I had been using Zoom until last summer for work and am absolutely baffled it made a resurgence.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
This has been blowing up a bit on infosec Twitter.

The general feeling among security professionals is that it's "good enough" for most people.

When it comes to security you can't let perfect be the enemy of good. The fact is Zoom is a triumph of usability and UX design, and orgs are flocking to.it on droves given the unprecedented demand for remote working and communication solutions.

Some of the common issues highlighted can be mitigated by changing default settings on meetings (the zoombombing issue) and others have to be accepted as a known risk.

Tl:dr - with a google and some setting changes zoom is good enough for.most people.

For people asking for alternatives, Jitsi was a name I've seen banded about in the security twittersphere.

Same and the sentiment largely ranges from "y'all good quit freaking the fuck out" to "omg privacy nightmare." I mean, Teams (which I use daily at this point) is ran by Microsoft who has designed W10 to ingest so much of your private data it's absurd. Their Edge updates are causing concern, too. Most everyone in this thread is probably posting on a Google browser. And I have a feeling Jitsi will take off in the mainstream about as much as Qubes OS.

I'm not saying people shouldn't care, but these complaints are pretty common across tech.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
When something like this kicks off, something ubiquitious and popular has security issues unearthed it really highlights the value of threat modelling. Not every security issue poses a threat to every user, and it's useful to try and understand how something might be used, and if that would in fact affect your use-case for using a product or service.

But in the public consciousness X program is now insecure, full stop. Which is understandable when you're seeing headlines about new security vulnerabilities but I'd always encourage people to try and understand how they apply to their particular use case and make personal assessments accordingly.

Zoom doesn't just have to be abandoned now.

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
When something like this kicks off, something ubiquitious and popular has security issues unearthed it really highlights the value of threat modelling. Not every security issue poses a threat to every user, and it's useful to try and understand how something might be used, and if that would in fact affect your use-case for using a product or service.

But in the public consciousness X program is now insecure, full stop. Which is understandable when you're seeing headlines about new security vulnerabilities but I'd always encourage people to try and understand how they apply to their particular use case and make personal assessments accordingly.

People are trying to make this argument. That some of the vulnerabilities are low value. While true it downplays the larger issue.

The problem on this case is the long history of doing shady things, not caring about users data or privacy AND security vulnerabilities

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Our school decided not to use Google Meet, as it's easy for people to get into that weren't invited. Zoom apparently has protections against that, but there's all these issues too...
Google quickly fixed the issues Meets had last week. Hosts can now lock rooms, and ended meetings now actually end them. Very surprised google allowed a host to leave and it didn't end the meeting. All meetings could never end because anyone who was in one could just join back into them when they want as long as they had the meeting link.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
People are trying to make this argument. That some of the vulnerabilities are low value. While true it downplays the larger issue.

The problem on this case is the long history of doing shady things, not caring about users data or privacy AND security vulnerabilities

There definitely needs to be a balance. I am in no way suggesting that these things should be played down, the developers should indeed to held to account to do better, security researchers should continue to do their work. But at the same time, a headline like "Zoom is insecure" is a binary trigger to many of the wider public who will then consider the tool a total lost cause because it's insecure, without any understanding of what exactly the problem is, or how it may or may not apply to them.

Every user of Zoom is obviously not going to be a security expert, and thus headlines end up shaping that public perception. It's harder to say "You can still use Zoom reasonably safely if you do these things" than "Zoom is an insecure PoS that's stealing your data".

Arguably both things need to be said, but one seems to heard far more easily than the other.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Same happened at my job. WebEx and Teams enterprise accounts but everyone wants to use Zoom. It does seem to have far superior video quality and stability. It's just insane that Microsoft, Cisco and Google don't have better servers. Between this and the shady Zoom practices, it's like real life Pied Piper.
Skype had such a huge headstart over a lot of these companies, and with MS owning them, they really should be the GOAT. Weird how they just dropped the ball.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Skype had such a huge headstart over a lot of these companies, and with MS owning them, they really should be the GOAT. Weird how they just dropped the ball.
There were a few solid decades where Microsoft was The Devil and anything they touched had to be evil. That tends to slow down adoption and let other companies (google, apple, facebook, etc) get pretty strong footholds.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I don't quite get this vulnerability. I understand that the vulnerability is Zoom converting those to links. I don't understand how or why windows would send your unencrypted username/password just from clicking on that share. Unless we're talking someone capable of breaking that hash. Plus I wasn't even aware the firewall wouldn't block an outgoing connection to a remote windows share that you had never heard of before.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i got zoom bombed on my first attempt this week.

it hasnt been an official mandate that we do these in our district but there does seem to be a lot of pressure - wonder if these stories will have them relax that a bit (or find an alternative)

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.bleepingcomputer.com

Zoom Lets Attackers Steal Windows Credentials, Run Programs via UNC Links

The Zoom Windows client is vulnerable to UNC path injection in the client's chat feature that could allow attackers to steal the Windows credentials of users who click on the link.

Honestly, i'm reading this and all i'm thinking is WHAT THE FUCK, WINDOWS?
Click on any UNC link and you attempt a SMB connection.. ok.
Just attempting any SMB connection exposes windows credentials?! Username AND password?

Daily reminder that windows is, from a security standpoint, a complete and utter shitshow.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This is what I'm trying to parse from this thread... as someone who ONLY uses zoom for video chat with friends (no confidential/sensitive meetings) and uses password meetings, I'm likely OK? The odds of me convincing my friends to swap to a different app are slim to none.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I don't quite get this vulnerability. I understand that the vulnerability is Zoom converting those to links. I don't understand how or why windows would send your unencrypted username/password just from clicking on that share. Unless we're talking someone capable of breaking that hash. Plus I wasn't even aware the firewall wouldn't block an outgoing connection to a remote windows share that you had never heard of before.

It sends your username and the NTLM hash of your password. The hash can be used as-is in some instances to access different restricted network shares and such by an attacker, the pass-the-hash attack. It could also be potentially taken and cracked offline.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean as much as I like teams it's seriously useless for things like this. It's just not well built at all.
Every Teams call I've had within my organization has been by far the best among the available solutions (the others being Zoom and Webex). Call quality has consistently been te best in my experience.

are you referring to handling large conference calls with 6+ people?
Yeah I'm wondering what they meant too. Teams has been the best for us.

Last edited:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Yeah, I'm glad I only heard of it last week and in the same day saw an article about how it was giving info to facebook. So while me and my friends were looking for a video chat program I kept insisting not that one.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This sums my thoughts up reasonably well in general

This is what I'm trying to parse from this thread... as someone who ONLY uses zoom for video chat with friends (no confidential/sensitive meetings) and uses password meetings, I'm likely OK? The odds of me convincing my friends to swap to a different app are slim to none.

It's a fair question. Nearly all of the vulnerabilities found thus far would be considered medium-low risk. The UNC path issue requires someone in your meeting to post a UNC path, someone else in your meeting to click it and then for them to go away and abuse that information. If you secure and password your calls you are generally speaking safe to use it, yes.

If you were particularly security conscious you could also look in to blocking outbound SMB traffic from your machine.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty obvious Zoom wasn't prepared for this, and never thought about doing anything but making it easy for people to set up meetings.
Wonder if these security issues brought to light will end up hurting them more, after all this is over, then if they had stayed a somewhat obscure video conferencing tool

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I use it for friends and my primary school uses it to keep in contact with the kids. I don't mind data leaks there. The university I work for quickly shut it down though, and rightfully so, way more sensitive data goes through there.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It sends your username and the NTLM hash of your password. The hash can be used as-is in some instances to access different restricted network shares and such by an attacker, the pass-the-hash attack. It could also be potentially taken and cracked offline.

That seems really dumb from a Windows standpoint, why would that be allowed? I assume it's mainly for people who just open up sharing everywhere for convenience or something?

From a user standpoint, though, if you're going to fall for that you'll basically fall for any phishing attempt/malicious url that's posted in chat, and I don't see them turning off all links. They should still absolutely restrict what gets turned into links, though.

As I said before, from a personal use standpoint, say you want to get 20 people together on a web chat and you don't want to bother with registering 20 users, zoom is fine. Put a password on your meeting, be careful who gets in there and who puts what in chat, etc., and you should be fine. Use the web client if you're extra paranoid about spyware (though if you're that paranoid I don't know why you'd have a facebook account or use things like google). Performance-wise and ease-of-setup, it works great. If you're a company or you're sharing private or privileged information, probably look elsewhere.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Pretty obvious Zoom wasn't prepared for this, and never thought about doing anything but making it easy for people to set up meetings.
Wonder if these security issues brought to light will end up hurting them more, after all this is over, then if they had stayed a somewhat obscure video conferencing tool
they were not obscure before this.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
This has happened multiple times already.

Today our work sent a wide message to everyone prohibiting Zoom and reinforcing we should use Webex plus guidance on how to use it appropriately. A few days ago the kids school sent a message they will continue to use Zoom for now because it's free, but they gave guidance on password pretecting meetings and whatnot.
That's fucked up. Wouldn't using teams be better for something like this? My local school gave my kid a laptop with office and quite a good amount of software.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I had heard about pretty much of all video conference software before the quarantine without using anything but skype but then suddenly it's Zoom, here, there and everywhere.
It was even limited to 40 minutes in the free version.
What is the appeal?
The 40 minutes free and every platform availability is huge. Most others don't do that without paid subscriptions.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I had heard about pretty much of all video conference software before the quarantine without using anything but skype but then suddenly it's Zoom, here, there and everywhere.
It was even limited to 40 minutes in the free version.
What is the appeal?

It has a slick UI, works very well and can scale to larger calls easily. It just works well, and as more people use it word of mouth increases etc.

Teams will end up being the defacto solution for enterprise because of O365, but there is absolutely an appeal of a simple and usable program like Zoom to the consumer.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Isn't that something every platform has? I have certainly conducted longer meetings on skype and google hangouts.
I am not aware of the free usage and how that pertains to corporate entities (or how zoom's does, to be honest).

But when you are deciding on a corporate choice of teleconferencing software you tend to need to be VERY aware of licensing and the like which is why webex and teams and the like are still the gold standard for what you are actually allowed to use

But with the sudden mass migration to WFH a lot of people who have never even thought about what a VTC is are outright defining corporate policy for schools and the like. And in that case

It has a slick UI, works very well and can scale to larger calls easily. It just works well, and as more people use it word of mouth increases etc.

Zoom got that marketing down tight.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Are there people in white collar jobs that regularly do work team meetings who have never done video conferencing before until now? I figured if you work at a job where there are business meetings, especially with diverse or global teams, that there's always somebody video/calling in through Skype or Teams or Zoom or Google Hangouts. Hell I used to even meet by calling in (audio only) through my car phone while stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic. My directors used to have WFH days 1-2x a week and they'd video call in to the meeting. I guess I'm just surprised that there's a substantial amount of business people who have never video conferenced before.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Good response, it's a start. They should have a bug bounty program if they want to get serious about patching their software.

+bounties are in it appears. good good

Last edited: