• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
An update on the digital download adoption for PSN was given in the latest Sony Corp. financial report for Q1 FY18 (Apr18 - Jun18).

It's up 4% from same quarter last year. God of War effect?

20mJ9xa.png

The foot note here specifies that only games sold are included, so no free downloads.

EB8vwVT.png

Source (p.8): https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q1_supplement.pdf

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
An update on the digital download adoption for PSN was given in the latest Sony Corp. financial report for Q1 FY18 (Apr18 - Jun18).

It's up 4% from same quarter last year. God of War effect?

20mJ9xa.png

The foot note here specifies that only games sold are included, so no free downloads.

EB8vwVT.png

Source (p.8): https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q1_supplement.pdf

I wouldn't say GoW effect, just the sign of the times. It will go up slowly but steadly

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Starting to fall into this more and more. Physical deals on games I want just haven't been hot. GCU is going away. Digital is convenient. :|

Mar 17, 2018
I collect music and film, but I just cannot collect games anymore. I sold most of what I have bar the stuff that wasn't worth much. I had some nice games, but far from anywhere near a decent collection of older stuff before PS1 era. It just doesn't appeal to me. Especially with all the bad boxart. I only have film because I still value the best quality, and music because I do both CD/DVD/Bluray and digital. Games was just the one thing that became too hard to handle and required too much space for no gain as I don't actually use old games or any games by disc.

Nice big collections are still impressive though, and I do miss some of my mint RPGs on PS1.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yup digital is taking over, another reason for the PS4D.

I'm part of that percentile that has gone fully digital with PS4, never looked back.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising the ratio is going up. I'm still buying physical games this gen but I plan to go full digital next gen.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
It just means no DLC add-ons included. The price of the included games can be anything, just not free. All physical game sales are also not only happening at $60.
I didn't ask whether all digital game sales are happening at $60, just whether Sony only includes this category of games in their number, whether at full price or at discount. So Sony's numbers include any game at any price point, even $1 games?

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I hate swapping discs more than I enjoy all the benefits of physical games. My first few games on switch and Ps4 were physical and then I went full digital.

OP
OP
bombshell

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I didn't ask whether all digital game sales are happening at $60, just whether Sony only includes this category of games in their number, whether at full price or at discount. So Sony's numbers include any game at any price point, even $1 games?
A full game is a full game, price doesn't matter as long as money changed hands. You can buy very cheap physical games in clearance sales too and those would also be included on the physical side of the equation.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, nowadays almost everything I play is digital, it's just more convenient. Also keep in mind how in most countries you still have shops treating videogames as random items, so their price often doesn't go down even after years. Go around Italy and find chains where they sell you, say, FIFA 16 for 69,99 Euros. Digital is the most convenient option right now, hands down, bar the occasional great deal on Amazon or Unieuro. Especially if you're a budget, it's the way it goes.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's the PSN sales. There's been at least three or four really good ones this year already.
Yeah man m I bought games that I had no plans on buying .I got Bioshock collection for 14$ And three Dishonored game collection for 19$ .such good prices .

By the time ps5 launches we will be looking at around 55% digital sales .

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah man m I bought games that I had no plans on buying .I got Bioshock collection for 14$ And three Dishonored game collection for 19$ .such good prices .

By the time ps5 launches we will be looking at around 55% digital sales .
And Mass Effect Andromeda for less than a large big mac meal. Marginally healthier for you too.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
That number is beyond impressive. PSN essentially represents the total console games market (meaning all publishers are represented).

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
It's the PSN sales. There's been at least three or four really good ones this year already.

Agreed with this.
PSN sales the last couple years have been ridiculously good value and near constant.
Pushes you straight into impulse buy territory.

Really has helped swell the coffers.
Now Sony just keep re-investing in games, games and more games as well as good hardware for PS5.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I wish digital games had 10% to 20% preorder discount via PS+. I'm pro digital but some preorder deals for physical games are tempting.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yup digital is taking over, another reason for the PS4D.

I'm part of that percentile that has gone fully digital with PS4, never looked back.

I find the resistance in that thread pretty funny considering the data in the OP

It's 43% today but you'd have to be crazy to think it will go down and not up, give it 5 years and it will probably be over 75% digital

I'm not 100% digital on PS4 but I'll generally only buy a game on disc if I find a great deal for it

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
So I guess digital prices of new games will stay like that for a while, they don't have a reason to lower them to physical prices :/

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I guess digital prices of new games will stay like that for a while, they don't have a reason to lower them to physical prices :/

Probably, but at least PSN sales tend to be pretty good

I only got a PS4 in 2017 and I've managed to pick up a load of AAA games for ÂŁ4-12

Granted these tend to be older games, but at least they do drop in price eventually

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I use digital when the store has a sale on older games, usually every couple of weeks on the PS lately, but still buy every new release physical.

I use ShopTo, Simplygames or Game Collection so I get games cheaper than the store and most of the time a day early.

Can't see myself ever changing to full digital. Changing a disc isn't that tough.

Jul 24, 2018
I have not gone fully digital myself but in the last few months I have picked up games from the PS Store off the back of a sale. The Summer Sale for instance I picked up; Dark Souls 3, Surviving Mars, and Nioh. Probably won't go for new releases digitally just yet but will certainly be more inclined to wait on some games.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I use the digital store for every title that's a few months old. The sales have been great for the past 2 years and I've bought loads of games. It doesn't makes that much sense for brand new titles yet since they are full price with no option to resell, unless we are talking about multiplayer titles that people plan to keep forever.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Besides the four games I've bought with PS4 itself all my PS4 library is digital. It's just too convenient, especially after I've swapped the HDD for a 2TB model.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm almost all digital this gen and going to full digital with PS5.

I wish digital games had 10% to 20% preorder discount via PS+. I'm pro digital but some preorder deals for physical games are tempting.
Tbh I think any game should have 10% pre order discount. We give away ours money before any reviews after all.

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to fall into this more and more. Physical deals on games I want just haven't been hot. GCU is going away. Digital is convenient. :|
Yup, Amazon been slacking for me big time. No stock and dropping the pre order discount.

Unfortunately, I'll have to go digital more times than not now.

..I guess I am to blame for telling you all about them discounts.

You're welcome Sony

giphy.gif
lol

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Probably, but at least PSN sales tend to be pretty good

I only got a PS4 in 2017 and I've managed to pick up a load of AAA games for ÂŁ4-12

Granted these tend to be older games, but at least they do drop in price eventually

Yea, I like the PSN sales but it sucks if I have to wait months before the digital price is the same as physical (used copies).
That's why I hope physical isn't going to disappear soon. I'm enjoying the best of both world and it's cool like that.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yea, I like the PSN sales but it sucks if I have to wait months before the digital price is the same as physical (used copies).
That's why I hope physical isn't going to disappear soon. I'm enjoying the best of both world and it's cool like that.

Yeah I'm doing the same, I tend to buy digital but if a disc version is cheaper I'll get that (picked up a cheap copy of Advanced Warfare for ÂŁ4 this week)

I also like knowing I can buy a game and not support a company of cause or person I don't like. So for the above I'm happy Kevin Spacey won't somehow profit from me playing a game he is in, and I tend to buy anything from EA second hand too

Discs won't be going away for a while as not everyone has good internet and there will always be people who prefer them

Even at 43% digital there are still more people buying physical, though I imagine that will swing in digitals favour by the start of next gen

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have numbers to compare? I think MS would be a bit higher while Nintendo significantly lower?

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The deals online are getting better and with PS+ even more so. It's pushing me to get more and more titles digitally as well.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I have bought every game digital since MLB The Show 2016 and Ratchet & Clank. Don't have a single regret about it.