Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Why? This is about revenue. MS still has the bigger install base with a huge share paying for their services and royalties from 3rd parties. In 2019 I think we'll see that change in Nintendo's favour tho.

Yeah, the xbox userbase is still bigger. Although hardware is not a big portion of revenue, Microsoft's average hardware selling price is, I imagine, substantially higher also at the moment (I'm guessing X is dominant in XB1 sales now, although admittedly that is a guess).

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Why? This is about revenue. MS still has the bigger install base with a huge share paying for their services. In 2019 I think we'll see that change in Nintendo's favour tho.
Nintendo has 3DS + Switch install bases, Switch is selling like hotcakes, humongous first party software sales, S/NES classic console sales, and a very strong mobile presence. That's why I'm surprised. And all the merchandising and licensing revenue too.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Unless there is concrete data, that is nothing but an anectode.

Anecdotal evidence is still evidence.

If every single Facebook post about PS+ games has hundreds of people stating they do not download PS+ games because they suck, then you can reasonably assume there are thousands more NOT posting on Facebook that they don't download PS+ games.

Just because someone hasn't taken a surveymonkey poll doesn't mean it's not relevant.

Oct 25, 2017
The result of a very strong worldwide brand.

They have worked hard over the years getting their brand in countries with low/very low gaming adoption. Years later, they are getting rewarded for it.

It would be incredibly good for gaming as a whole if MS and Nintendo could reach a similar slate worldwide.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what Sony's gaming division operating income and profit are in comparison to MS and Nintendo?

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's incredible. 94 million units sold and big games like God of War doing so well in 2018 probably contributed a lot to PSN game sales. Their flash sales are pretty good too.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
PSN vs Nintendo's Online:

DyTULz1X4AEK71x.jpg:large

Source:

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the xbox userbase is still bigger. Although hardware is not a big portion of revenue, Microsoft's average hardware selling price is, I imagine, substantially higher also at the moment (I'm guessing X is dominant in XB1 sales now, although admittedly that is a guess).
Doubt that's the case when that isn't happening in the States in Xbox One strongest territory. That's according to our very own MatPiscatella.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's incredible. 94 million units sold and big games like God of War doing so well in 2018 probably contributed a lot to PSN game sales. Their flash sales are pretty good too.
Over 94.2 million and when The Last of Us 2 hits, it will be over 100 million. Crazy if you think about it ;)

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Oct 27, 2017

No chance, I would be surprised if it's above 35% for X1. Does anyone have numbers? Light the Zhuge signal!!!

Nintendo has 3DS + Switch install bases, Switch is selling like hotcakes, humongous first party software sales, S/NES classic console sales, and a very strong mobile presence. That's why I'm surprised. And all the merchandising and licensing revenue too.

3DS is doing nothing compared to the amount of $$$ MS is getting through all those games (BO4, FC5, AC:O, RDR2,....) sold on their plattform in 2018.
I'm guessing here, but MS is making roughly a third of their revenue through Gold, Game Pass, storefront (music, movies, etc.) alone.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
guess it goes to show just how useful locking multiplayer behind a paywall is. even nintendo saw very noticeable growth year over year even if they can't compete against sony's userbase.

it would be neat if sony could invest that money into ps now and start integrating it into ps plus, or make it part of ps superplus or something.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can bet Nintendo see this and are already thinking of upping prices and pushing their service way more.

They need to have a competent service first and not charge money for the absolute bare minimum. After seeing how well PSN does for Sony they must be kicking themselves over their very poor efforts.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
In terms of 2018 revenue yes but not as a total business I don't think.

You weren't at the "Other Place" and reading the predictions for this gen then.

I remember various forums saying it was the end of consoles and the need to have a box under the TV and also how nobody wanted their consoles online. How times change... eh

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
They need to have a competent service first and not charge money for the absolute bare minimum. After seeing how well PSN does for Sony they must be kicking themselves over their very poor efforts.

Doubt they are kicking themselves when NSO is already at 8 million subs a few months after launch and they are seeing big growth in digital revenue all across the board.

NSO had a very strong start in terms of numbers - obviously this says nothing of the quality of the service

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
On the other hand Nintendo's Online Service has so much room to grow since it literally started from nothing, we don't know how far they will go with it, but they said they want to invest on it.
Of course you're going to have a lot of room to grow when your service is worse than even your previous offerings. Nintendo isn't allowed to get a pass after so many years of not getting it. The fact that they still use freaking friend codes and there isn't a basic messaging system for users in the console says as much, they're behind what others (not only Sony and MS) were doing more than 10 years ago.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

nintendo's really had online systems in games since... 2005 or so? the ds let you play animal crossing and mario kart ds through online multiplayer. you could even use the ds's built-in microphone for voice chat.

then they were the first to offer legacy titles through a digital platform on the wii.

all of it got rebooted for 3ds, and then again for switch (basically killing off vc so they could do mini consoles and their new online service). they go from friend codes to accounts and then regress online communication to what is the akin of picking up a telephone and talking with your friends while you play games against them online. ds had built-in voice chat on games.

they do some positive stuff - including nes titles like a limited gaming netflix as part of the online service is unique to them. their idea of miiverse was neat and generally well-implemented. but it just seems like there's a constant string of managers behind the scenes getting promoted into positions and then starting from scratch. i really don't get them. for a company that's been in the online space for 12-13 years, they sure don't act like it.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Sony doesn't deserve a 30% cut of every digital sale when their servers are generally awful. I wish there was competition in this space, but with closed gardens it's no wonder Sony is making this much profit.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
That said, I'm probably in the minority of people who bought into PS+ mainly for the monthly games.

I dont play games online at all and I do the same thing you do. With just 1-3 games a year worth the play through and the + discounts on top of normal sales it's still a good value.

I think the last time I played online was maybe TLoU Remastered is Uncharted 4 for a few hours. Sometimes I'm Diablo 3 if I accidentally do an open game.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
This is why Sony doesn't want crossplay with other consoles.
Sony doesn't deserve a 30% cut of every digital sale when their servers are generally awful. I wish there was competition in this space, but with closed gardens it's no wonder Sony is making this much profit.
revenue is not profit

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt they are kicking themselves when NSO is already at 8 million subs a few months after launch and they are seeing big growth in digital revenue all across the board.

NSO had a very strong start in terms of numbers - obviously this says nothing of the quality of the service

They may be doing ok but launching such a poor service in 2018 in comparison to the competition was a poor strategy and is likely to have a knock on effect - they had the potential to sell the service to the masses of Switch users but the quality of it is so poor. I do hope they look at PSN and get back to the drawing board but I doubt they will.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Wondering where Sony sees their growth chances. I'd say they are in mobile, cloud and PC gaming. But maybe they still have a long time to go to hit their 'console gaming ceiling'

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
The result of a very strong worldwide brand.

They have worked hard over the years getting their brand in countries with low/very low gaming adoption. Years later, they are getting rewarded for it.

It would be incredibly good for gaming as a whole if MS and Nintendo could reach a similar slate worldwide.

I know Microsoft consoles haven't been as popular in Japan and Europe ( I think) but is this true for Nintendo as well?

I thought Nintendo was fairly popular worldwide. Given that its been around from the NES to now.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
April-Dec 2018

Sony
Revenue : ÂĄ1812.8bn / $16.26B
Operating Profit : ÂĄ247.2bn / $2.23B

Nintendo
Revenue : ÂĄ997.3bn / $9.17B
Operating Profit : ÂĄ220bn / $2.02B

We'll never know Operating Profit for Gaming for MS
Huh, that's closer than I would've expected based on the revenue difference. Thanks for the data!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wondering where Sony sees their growth chances. I'd say they are in mobile, cloud and PC gaming. But maybe they still have a long time to go to hit their 'console gaming ceiling'
They seem to be focusing on growing the PlayStation brand in the Middle East and South Asia at the moment as well as growing PSNow.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
They may be doing ok but launching such a poor service in 2018 in comparison to the competition was a poor strategy and is likely to have a knock on effect - they had the potential to sell the service to the masses of Switch users but the quality of it is so poor. I do hope they look at PSN and get back to the drawing board but I doubt they will.

But they are selling it to masses of Switch users - 8 million of them or 25% of the user base. Not sure why you think thats a bad number when its not

Yes the service leaves a lot to be desired and hopefully they can see now that more work needs to go into it because it is a potential huge revenue stream for them to cultivate and grow

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Huh, that's closer than I would've expected based on the revenue difference. Thanks for the data!

Nintendo rely a lot on its first-party contents, so they earn more for each product sold
On the contrary, Sony rely a lot on third-party content (games, dlc, add-on) and earn less profits (while having a lot more revenues due to third-party content sold and bigger user base though)

Oct 25, 2017
I know Microsoft consoles haven't been as popular in Japan and Europe ( I think) but is this true for Nintendo as well?

I thought Nintendo was fairly popular worldwide. Given that its been around from the NES to now.
That is true. I was just saying they could be even stronger in some of those even smaller markets where it is basically just PS.

Basically, if all 3 had outreach practically everywhere.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is what people forget in the speculation of next gen threads/Microsoft going to win next gen articles. Gaming is Sony now. Not tvs or other consumer electronics. The PlayStation brand is such a pillar of what keeps the doors at Sony open that they know it needs to succeed. They are going to do everything in their power to not fuck it up. That means games, partnerships with third parties, making a box that people want to buy and they market in some way that beats their competition.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
People need to do exchange rates more accurately.
Sony's G&NS division did not make $20.72bn in CY2018.
It was more like $20.1bn $2.35bn

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Nintendo have been pretty hit or miss in Europe. The Switch will probably be a massive hit though, doing amazing in France and the UK. They dominant Japan, but I don't think they do amazing in the rest of Asia, could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.