• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Good to see! Hopefully they're free upgrades. Now the question is if Meta will allow Beat Saber on PSVR2?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Makes sense.

VR games are limited by the hardware requirements so it makes a tonne of sense for smaller/mid studios to adapt their older games to get some extra revenue.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Any day now with the Showcase Sony....Maybe they can right the ship of this slow moving car crash leading up to the launch of PSVR2.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I would expect as much given the news PSVR2 isn't compatible. I'll reserve judgement on the games being remade until it's known if they're free upgrades, have an upgrade path, or will be full priced new releases.

Probably a game by game basis but just wild if people end up having to pay full RRP again on top of expensive hardware, even for a luxury product.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome, and hopefully they will come free for people that already own them for the og PSVR.

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
A lot does not mean all, so what's the point?

Pretty sure the more niche and indie games are all being left behind as well.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
  • Tetris Effect
  • Polybius
  • Thumper
  • SUPERHYPERCUBE
  • Superhot
Need to be on there with HDR support, thanks.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
When I got an email about Windlands 2 coverage, they mentioned specifically doing a PSVR2 update.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Good to see! Hopefully they're free upgrades.

serious-laugh-harder.gif

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Probably easier for Valve since they already have to deal with so many variables in terms of hardware etc.

But different for something like a console.
And development of games on PC are not as low a level you can get on console and I'm sure all the complicated stuff for PSVR just connect up it was also part of how their API was first done.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
The control and tracking mechanics are totally different to each other so it would make sense that they would need to be patched instead of a blanket solution.

well yeah… they have to…

I know.

Pretty sure the more niche and indie games are all being left behind as well.
Which is why I'll probably have to keep my old PSVR.

EDIT:

Oh, hadn't seen the other thread where no backwards compatibility was confirmed. :(

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm skeptical. Seems like exactly the game that they'd want to keep on Meta Quest. Also, have we had any experience with them releasing any of their other games on PSVR?
Don't think so. Oculus' other games like Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath are exclusive to Oculus platforms.

I can see them maybe working on a PSVR2 version of Beat Saber, but based on their track record, that's a big maybe. I think they probably won't.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll give people free updates or if you have to double dip, I guess this does confirm the compatibility thing for sure, unless that was already noted.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful.

Sony will surely let the devs/pubs decide whether these games are free upgrades or not. As for the first-party stuff, well… they offered some free upgrades for PS4 games on PS5 so there is a chance they will do the same here as a good will measure early on. For now, wonderful news.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Depends on how the systems are designed. From what I understand, SteamVR allows for games to work with all types of different tracking methods.

I don't have a PSVR but as it's console-tethered, I assume the game version is built to the platform specifications, whereas on Steam - like with all PC games - it comes with a variety of settings/inputs, making it easier to encompass multiple tracking methods. In that case, I'd imagine any PSVR game that also has a PC port, would need to patch it for PSVR2, and it should be relatively easy as they've already done it for PC?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
These will be new games to >75% of PSVR2 owners I'd bet. And the PSVR owners they aren't new to are hardcore users that will gladly double-dip.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The exclusives are most important but I'm sure not all will make it. Hate having games stuck on an older platform.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
You two are kidding, but I'd totally pay full price for a well-made port of Skyrim VR taking advantage of the hardware of PSVR2. Make it happen, Todd Howard.

It's the one thing I'm bummed about with Bethesda being under MS, not sure if there will be efforts for a PSVR2 version.

Oct 26, 2017
You just know we will get a full price psvr 2 version of skyrim.

I don't know if Bethesda will do that now that MS owns them. But even if they did, it'd be worth it to get a version that is not heavily restricted by the PS4 hardware and the Move wands. I very much doubt it will get a free upgrade though.

In most cases though, for high profile evergreens like Superhot, Moss, Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, Job Simulator and Keep Talking, I expect devs will want to upgrade just so they can keep selling on the new platform, just like they've been making new editions of games across at least three different VR platforms already (PCVR, PSVR and Oculus standalones), so it wouldn't make sense to be greedy and charge a fee for their early adopters. And I expect Sony to take care of games like Astro Bot, Iron Man and Wipeout. Surely some games here and there will be left behind, but I expect most notable games are going to be fine.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
PSVR Without Parole crew mentioned on recent stream that hey collected info about ~40 games currently in development for PSVR2 [mostly ports of quest2 games and older PSVR1 games].