• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Despite gloomy predictions that PC compatibility will likely take years if ever, it seems that many of the worries about protections blocking PC compatibility have been unwarranted.
According to various Twitter posts today and a youtube video, people have confirmed that plugging the headset into a PC with VirtualLink port(or using a correct adapter) allows the headset to be used as a virtual desktop monitor with 3dof movement(equivalent to Cinema Mode on PS5).

View: https://twitter.com/Thrilluwu/status/1635374573368778752

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBHNQ_0mEC4

So rush out and buy an old GPU with your PSVR2? Hold on!

View: https://twitter.com/Thrilluwu/status/1635378103802552326?s=20
But this inspires more hope that we'll see PCVR capabilities sooner than previously claimed.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The issue is that VirtualLink isnt supported on RTX 30 and 40 series cards (they were on the 20 series), and last i heard the alternative adapters are extremely expensive ($350 from what I can find).

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Fantastic news. Don't have PSVR2 yet, but as someone who fully intends to get it further down the line I can't wait to see further developments.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
There were a lot of arguments of if Sony allowed the PS VR2 headset to work with PC that it would be much more expensive. What if they just sold a proprietary VirtualLink hub for $100/$150 to give it PC support while keeping the base headset a "reasonable" price for console users? 🤔

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
Is it possible that this was only meant to be used for testing purposes and they didn't intend on this feature to work for consumers?

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Woo. Hope they can get it to work on a 30xx series sooner than later. I wonder if it supports some laptop models. I'll try it on my two gaming laptops tomorrow.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
There were a lot of arguments of if Sony allowed the PS VR2 headset to work with PC that it would be much more expensive. What if they just sold a proprietary VirtualLink hub for $100/$150 to give it PC support while keeping the base headset a "reasonable" price for console users? 🤔

Adapter and official drivers for that price range sounds good to me.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Kinda misleading title imo

'Just works' sound more like you plug it in (with or without adapter) and you have working VR headset for VR games on your PC. This isn't the case at all.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
The issue is that VirtualLink isnt supported on RTX 30 and 40 series cards (they were on the 20 series), and last i heard the alternative adapters are extremely expensive ($350 from what I can find).

Guess Nvidia couldn't fit one after supporting 3 displayports and 2 HDMI ports.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
No it doesn't "just work" thats misleading. You can use it as a monitor w/head tracking. No hand tracking no VR titles.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

'Just works' sound more like you plug it in (with or without adapter) and you have working VR headset for VR games on your PC. This isn't the case at all.
No it doesn't "just work" thats misleading. You can use it as a monitor w/head tracking. No hand tracking no VR titles.
Yea, per iVRy PSVR1v2 was also """easy""" to use as a second monitor like that, but without needing the adapter. The rest of the roadmap is still very long.

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible that this was only meant to be used for testing purposes and they didn't intend on this feature to work for consumers?
If I had to guess, they used standards wherever possible to aid in development and didn't waste time trying to block it being used with anything else. That said, it definitely doesn't "just work" right now and it may never happen.

OP
OP
foolishoptimist
Oct 25, 2017

That it does anything is a big deal.

The person who developed PC support for original PSVR feared that without standard HDMI signal, getting it working in any capacity could take years. And to be fair, it was possible Sony could have their own signal format or the whole transmission could have been encrypted.

It was also feared that tracking would need to be replicated by homebrew devs, and while we don't know about controllers yet, we at least know the headset is taking care of some of that with no intervention required.

Oct 26, 2017
When I plugged my Sense controllers into my PC to charge them, they were recognized as speakers and took over the sound output. That had me confused for a bit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
3dof is interesting - is that just the built in gyro rather than any kind of self tracking though? So assumption is still the camera tracking will need the host to handle? Wonder if they've been able to extract video coming down the pipe for the camera feeds

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
That is interesting! If it does end up working correctly I'll probably be the final push I'd need to end up buying the headset and the ps5.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Still expecting official PC support in about 6 months.

They won't release DualSense drivers for PC and you expect them to release drivers for headset that they are selling with minimal margin and hope that they will earn enough money from store purchases to justify it?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I would want that, they don't care about recouping the cost of the headset by making you buy an adapter that enables you to buy and play games from an ecosystem where they will never make another dime off of you.

OP
OP
foolishoptimist
Oct 25, 2017
They won't release DualSense drivers for PC and you expect them to release drivers for headset that they are selling with minimal margin and hope that they will earn enough money from store purchases to justify it?
I might be overly optimistic, but this article suggests that it just works - and the haptics and adaptive triggers even work in Spider-Man on PC.
www.pcgamer.com

How to use a PS5 DualSense controller on PC

Hooking up Sony's PlayStation 5 controller to your PC is a cinch. Here's how to do it.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
So I have a 6900xt but it doesn't hava a USB-C port. That means I can't try my PSVR2 on it? Or it can work as in the OP with an adapter?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
DualSense works with a ton of games that have native DualSense features.
Generally you just have to turn off Steam Input and the controller works just fine (USB only though).

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I wonder if it works on my 7900XTX. I have a PS5, but it working on both PC (at some point) and PS5 would be the thing that pushes me over the edge to pick one up.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
wait I'm sure Dualsense is fine over bluetooth. Is USB just to get things like haptic feedback and the adaptive triggers?

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wait I'm sure Dualsense is fine over bluetooth. Is USB just to get things like haptic feedback and the adaptive triggers?
I wouldn't call main features not working 'fine', but yeah, you can use the DSense via Bluetooth without haptics and triggers, unless you use third party software with custom settings. Games with official DSense support require the cable to work.

While I don't think DSense is popular enough on PC for Sony to bother releasing a dongle just yet, and they sell the controllers automatically with every console + people buy more for muiltiplayer so Sony doesn't need the extra sales, with PSVR2 they could very well decide to create a peripheral specifically for PC if the sales on PS5 turn out to be underwhelming.

On the other hand, they're probably selling PSVR2 at a loss and aim to recuperate it with software sales, and on PC they would lose a significant chunk of that, if not outright everything. I would trust modders to figure this crap out before Sony decides to bless PC users with official support.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
If PSVR2 PC compat version was released for even $800 i would buy it, tis a lovely headset indeed. It's frustrating how many exclusives are on a niche genre like VR. GT7 VR? PSVR2, RE4 VR? Quest 2, Alyx? PCVR. If i could get one for PC and PS5 it would be a good compromise, shame about Meta but they have the weakest exclusives anyway.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I would want that, they don't care about recouping the cost of the headset by making you buy an adapter that enables you to buy and play games from an ecosystem where they will never make another dime off of you.
Sony puts games out on PC now so they could put out some of their VR titles on PC. Currently, there's only one notable Sony exclusive for PSVR2 so I would not expect this to happen for maybe another year or two until they have a slate of PSVR2 games they could bring to PC but if they think there's money to be made, I see no reason they wouldn't do it. The questions are: will PSVR2 matter in 1 to 2 years and where will PCVR be then?

I could also see people working on getting PSVR2 working on PC perhaps motivating Sony to put out official drivers. Maybe they go the other way with it and roll out updates to block it, but I don't see what Sony gains by keeping the headset exclusive to PS5. Exclusive games will do far more to drive people to buying PSVR2 than the headset itself will. Don't get me wrong, it's a great headset which is why people want it for PCVR use but big exclusive games are what get people to invest in a platform. Obviously, you get early adopters who buy new tech based on the promise of the tech but PSVR2 has launched so we're now past that point. They need big exclusives to sell people on that platform and opening PSVR2 to being usable on PC doesn't impact that. If anything, it opens a door for potentially getting some PC folks to invest in a PS5 IF Sony puts out big PS5 PSVR2 exclusives.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Sony puts games out on PC now so they could put out some of their VR titles on PC. Currently, there's only one notable Sony exclusive for PSVR2 so I would not expect this to happen for maybe another year or two until they have a slate of PSVR2 games they could bring to PC but if they think there's money to be made, I see no reason they wouldn't do it. The questions are: will PSVR2 matter in 1 to 2 years and where will PCVR be then?

I could also see people working on getting PSVR2 working on PC perhaps motivating Sony to put out official drivers. Maybe they go the other way with it and roll out updates to block it, but I don't see what Sony gains by keeping the headset exclusive to PS5. Exclusive games will do far more to drive people to buying PSVR2 than the headset itself will. Don't get me wrong, it's a great headset which is why people want it for PCVR use but big exclusive games are what get people to invest in a platform. Obviously, you get early adopters who buy new tech based on the promise of the tech but PSVR2 has launched so we're now past that point. They need big exclusives to sell people on that hardware and opening PSVR2 to being usable on PC doesn't impact that. If anything, it opens a door for potentially getting some PC folks to invest in a PS5 IF Sony puts out big PS5 PSVR2 exclusives.
I'd give that a 0% chance of happening without using their own store / launcher.
They're not banking on selling a few high profile first party VR games on Steam for a 70% cut. They want to sell a ton of third party games on their store for that 30% cut.
They're not in such a position on PC so there's no incentive for them to make the headset work there so people can buy VR games via Steam.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'd give that a 0% chance of happening without using their own store / launcher.
They're not banking on selling a few high profile first party VR games on Steam for a 70% cut. They want to sell a ton of third party games on their store for that 30% cut.
They're not in such a position on PC so there's no incentive for them to make the headset work there so people can buy VR games via Steam.
Again, making that headset usable on PC changes none of that. Unless Sony locks down big third party exclusives on the level of something like a Half Life Alyx nobody is buying that headset for third party games. If people are just going to do the work themselves to getting the headset working on a PC they have no reason not to just lean into that, even without their own store or launcher. That said, as we've seen with Sony putting their games out on PC I don't see this happening immediately and maybe by the time they would do something like consider putting out official drivers, VR will be in such a place that putting out official drivers truly wouldn't be worthwhile.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying you're wrong, Sony may very well believe what you're saying. I'm saying, if that's the case, then Sony is wrong. Just straight up. If they think putting out official PSVR2 PC drivers right now would somehow get in the way of them making money through their storefront, they're wrong. I say that as the VAST majority of the people who want PSVR2 to work on PC are people who never would invest in that marketplace whether that headset works on PC or not. So, making that headset compatible on PC would mean making money off of people they otherwise wouldn't and potentially getting them to invest in Sony's PS5 storefront because if they put out a big PS5 PSVR2 exclusive the PCVR PSVR2 users would already be halfway into the investment needed for them to play that game. That's my point.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's biggest mistake with this headset is tha thy ddn't make it work with PC. Why shut out the biggest VR market from using your VR headset? Shit makes no sense.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
Sony's biggest mistake with this headset is tha thy ddn't make it work with PC. Why shut out the biggest VR market from using your VR headset? Shit makes no sense.

I used to think the exact same thing, and I still want/hope (and believe tbh) we'll see it on PC eventually.

Still, I believe - due to replies by some people here on Era as well - this might simply be because they're selling at a loss. For now they might simply want to sell units as long as they drive more PS5 and PS5 game purchases, rather than also (I suspect) a truckload of them for PC users that would be pure loss at this point. I'm thinking as soon as they drive cost down enough they'll add PC support.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think there's a side benefit to Sony supporting PS VR2 on PC (even if they charge more for PC compatibility) and that's more people using the headset. It would lead to more high end games being developed rather what PS VR2 is now of a bunch of upscaled Quest 2 games, which will become an even bigger thing once Valve releases the Deckard.

Blargh

Banned
Mar 9, 2023

It doesn't make them much money, there's never much profit in the hardware, but the subsequent software sales.

Why sell a copy RE8VR on Steam and get nothing but sell it on the PS Store and get a far bigger chunk?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think there's a side benefit to Sony supporting PS VR2 on PC (even if they charge more for PC compatibility) and that's more people using the headset. It would lead to more high end games being developed rather what PS VR2 is now of a bunch of upscaled Quest 2 games, which will become an even bigger thing once Valve releases the Deckard.
I bet they will release it in a year for PC after Quest 3 and Deckard comes out, like clowns. If they released it now on PC it would be a huge hit, there isn't any affordable headsets on PC with OLED, HDR and of course secret sauce foveated rendering. Index is too expensive and now outdated anyway, Quest 3 is around the corner and 2 got a fucking price increase.
They could probably even ask Valve for a HL Alyx port if they did SteamVR drivers.