• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is the first-ever game on Steam to exceed one million concurrent players every day for an entire year.

Despite a marked decline in popularity with the rise of Fortnite, PUBG remains a phenomenally successful game.

As reported by PCGamesN, tracking site SteamDBconfirmed that PUBG has maintained a year-long streak of one million or more concurrent players every day since September 2017

It was a close call however, as PUBG came within just 5,000 players of falling below the one million mark on September 5.

For the most part, PUBG appears to have stabilised where it is, and remains the most popular game on Steam, ahead of DOTA 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...llion-concurrent-players-every-day-for-a-year

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Era told me PUBG was dead! /s

Incredible success, and while the numbers are going down, that can be said for most games. Still, a year in, it has numbers that make a lot of triple-A games look like indies in comparison. Now imagine if it wasn't janky, hah.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This drop in concurrent users isn't thát bad is it? I think most games would be jealous of these numbers.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Now it shows that there's only 595,895 players.

Don't know what's more impressive, maintaining such player count or getting so close to falling short.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's still huge. some people wanted to downplay it for an obvious reason, but that won't make the game become less popular.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Now it shows that there's only 595,895 players.

Don't know what's more impressive, maintaining such player count or getting so close to falling short.

Presume this is tracking its peak concurrent players every day. Not necessarily that it hasn't ever dipped below 1,000,000 (because a network/server outage would do that at any time).

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess PUBG is also first game in steam to lose 2mil peak users in 9 months.
Sad to see so huge potential wasted by incompetent devs.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Average players for COD WW2 on Steam in the last 30 days was 2,600 players.

COD Blackout is gonna steal all the PUBG players!

/more s

roguebubble

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 8, 2018
Definitely impressive, although it'll probably not be repeated without a major shake up of the game. It's already in decline due to Fortnite and with CoD and Battlefield entering the battle royale genre PUBG is going to find it hard to stay relevant.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess PUBG is also first game in steam to lose 2mil peak users in 9 months.
Sad to see so huge potential wasted by incompetent devs.
Yes. It is the first Steam game to lose 2 million peak users in 9 months.

No other game on Steam could have ever managed that.

Because no other game in the history of Steam ever surpassed 2 million peak users to begin with. It is kind of wild.

hivycox

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice! The game runs now very good and had man content updates. I didn't even encounter a cheater in the last couple months (EU servers).

Congratulations and kudos to the devs who listened to the user base!

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
PUBG will still be huge in a year. It's being improved, updated and getting new content every month.

BF or COD BR will never reach 1 million concurrent users on PC. Even 200,000 would surprise me.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Are they ever doing cross play with Xbox?

They're (currently) two different versions of the game. Xbox just hit 1.0 last week whereas Steam version hit 1.0 back in December. Ignoring any player ability/performance differences, they're just two different versions of the game. It couldn't work.

Xbox is at 1.0 as of this week.
PC is 20 updates beyond that.

And they're not equal updates either. They're two different shards. Xbox version launched with vaulting before the PC aversion implemented it, despite the Xbox version launching without the Miramar map that the PC got at 1.0. They're different and they update at a different rate.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Amazing achievement!

It's still going strong but it has fallen by quite a lot, from 2+mil peak day CCU to 1mil peak day CCU on steam. But there mobile version is just dominating.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely impressive, although it'll probably not be repeated without a major shake up of the game. It's already in decline due to Fortnite and with CoD and Battlefield entering the battle royale genre PUBG is going to find it hard to stay relevant.
Lmao
CoD and Battlefield will never even reach the sales of PUBG PC. They won't ever be as popular or have as many total players either.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao
CoD and Battlefield will never even reach the sales of PUBG PC. They won't ever be as popular or have as many total players either.

Big time. PUBG has sold twice as many copies in a year as the most popular COD game (MW3) has in seven years. It would be a miracle if a COD or Battlefield game in 2018 did those numbers. Black Ops 4 would have to sell twice as many copies as Black Ops 1 or 2.

PUBG has outsold every game in existence apart from Tetris, Minecraft, Wii Sports and GTAV.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not related to Steam obviously but the Xbox version has also been in the UK all formats charts for 39 weeks now (which I think is every week since it came out?). It's number 9 for this week. Number 7 last week. Selling gang busters.

Cr7dyPB.jpg

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I stopped playing this on Xbox a month ago, but got back in because of the 1.0 release/ new map update and I'm completely hooked again, Sanghok is such a different experience compared to the other two maps and it wouldn't surprise me if it's brought a lot of players back to both PC and Xbox.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That meme of Era believing that Dark Souls is more popular than PUBG or LoL is so real

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Congrats! Battle Royale games aren't really my cup of tea. And it's undeniable that PUBG was and still is huge, no need to downplay it just because Fortnite is bigger name now. PUBG is still one of the biggest.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is at 1.0 as of this week.
PC is 20 updates beyond that.

my dude, that's not true

Xbox is 2 updates behind

except for the update that added the beryl into live servers Xbox is right there with feature parity.

they said in their roadmap they are currently 6-8 weeks out and want to close the gap to 2-4 weeks.

and fwiw the Xbox version is worth on update 19 or 20 since launch also.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It's in a great place now on Xbox too. I honestly don't see even call of duty taking away from that on consoles if fortnite can't. The game is just flat out good. Battlefield could've copied it and been a better running better looking version of pubg but I don't think they're going that route.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
my dude, that's not true

Xbox is 2 updates behind

except for the update that added the beryl into live servers Xbox is right there with feature parity.

they said in their roadmap they are currently 6-8 weeks out and want to close the gap to 2-4 weeks.

Oh that's good! Thanks for the clarification. I just know that PC is on Update 20 since 1.0 so took that as '20 updates ahead'. I guess all updates aren't made equally though are they?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Because they both have BR modes and unlike Fortinte, they're have similarities to PUBG because they're both 1st person and have a military setting.

I think there are bigger differences that will keep them apart than FPP and military. You might be right but, as a big fan of both Fortnite and PUBG, I see COD (particularly) appealing to the Fortnite crowd much more than the PUBG crowd.

Not to mention that both games (COD and BF) won't be on Steam, traditionally have sold far, far, far fewer copies than PUBG and that a large portion of PUBGs crowd is in Asia were COD and BF mean a lot less.

I guess you're right, it will be interesting. I'm fascinated. Can't wait to play the COD Blackout beta today!

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's good! Thanks for the clarification. I just know that PC is on Update 20 since 1.0 so took that as '20 updates ahead'. I guess all updates aren't made equally though are they?

yeah and they have been catching up very quickly, i edited into my post if you didn't know "and fwiw the Xbox version is on update 19 or 20 since launch also."

i think by the time we get to snow map they will be nearly merged if not simultaneous

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
yeah and they have been catching up very quickly, i edited into my post if you didn't know "and fwiw the Xbox version is worth on update 19 or 20 since launch also."

i think by the time we get to snow map they will be nearly merged if not simultaneous

Fuuuuuck I forgot about the snow map coming.