• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Fraser Gilbert said:
If you're an avid Fortnite player, you may be interested to know that the game added gyro controls to more platforms earlier this week in the form of PS4, PS5 and PC, which now makes Xbox the only platform not to support the feature.

Of course, there's a very good reason for this - Xbox controllers don't have motion sensors, so there's literally no way of implementing gyro aiming with the current Xbox controller design. And that's left some Fortnite fans very disappointed.

Ultimately, there's just no way around this for the team at Epic Games right now, and it doesn't look like gyro controls are going to be implemented in Xbox controllers at any point in the near future — maybe with the next console revision?

It's a real shame to sit on the sidelines as everyone else gets the feature, but that's the way it is for the time being.
It's a funny twist of fate that it took Fortnite full-on embracing gyro & flick stick for Xbox players to start asking for gyro. Better late than never, I suppose. Hopefully this leads to Microsoft adding a gyroscope (& an accelerometer) to a revision of the Xbox Series controller.

Source(s): Pure Xbox (& various other Twitter accounts)

Last edited:

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I like it, hopefully pushes for them to react. I have never used gyro but you can't hold out on a key feature that everyone else has

Jul 1, 2020
If there is a revision 2 of the Xbox controller this generation I'd like to see the better rumble that Switch controllers and DualSense has added as well as a motion sensor suite. Those are really the only things missing from it.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Really think we're due for the DualSense Xbox controller. Hopefully with better battery life than the DualSense though.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It is kinda outstanding how many people are ignorant about gyro and who offers it.

Good implementation will hopefully allow for more consumers to request such options for other types of games as well.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been asking for gyro and paddles standard since I first played splatoon. Sometimes people gotta get their ass beat by it till they realize it's better than just analog.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gyro in Xbox controllers hopefully means gyro as part of XInput's API, meaning native gyro in PC games without Steam Input workarounds. That's gonna be amazing.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I mean realistically, what is going to happen?

Phil has commented about wanting to also adopt DualSense features in its next controller, but when will that arrive? Probably a good few years away. It's kinda unfortunate to see all these features like Gyro and VR hit the sideline when they have such robust consumer options elsewhere.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Now show the tweets 12 months ago from these same people saying gyro is overrated gimmick crap that no one wants

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I don't mind MS keeping it simple with the controller but gyro did feel like one of those things that maybe would have been worth to pack in since it is pretty great. I'd be surprised if it's not in a controller revision coming up, but hopefully not a too expensive one.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Two things I'd love for the Xbox controller:

1) gyro
2) no batteries
The batteries are a better option, not sure why people can't see this, but every controller having a play and charge kit seems like a compromise.
I mean realistically, what is going to happen?

Phil has commented about wanting to also adopt DualSense features in its next controller, but when will that arrive? Probably a good few years away.
Just the haptics please. That trigger nonsense can stay. I'd rather have adjustable triggers like the elite as standard over the other stuff.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Nooooooo! It's bad enough that my controller vibrates without me having to turn it off.

This is inevitable isn't it? God damn it.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If they include gyro, I'll seriously consider an xbox.
It's not like I can get a ps5 anyway.
If your game has aiming of any sort and doesn't provide gyro aiming, I don't think I would play it more than 2 hours anyway.
Pokemon Legends showed that for me already.
I barely played it before learning they hid the gyro in the menus.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Gyro and no batteries would make the Xbox controller perfect for me. Wouldn´t mind a touchpad either on the back or front.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Two things I'd love for the Xbox controller:

1) gyro
2) no batteries
Normal batteries is something I actually like about the Xbox controller and want to see in every other controller…
I mean it's not too expensive to get a charger and rechargeable batteries, and they can be used with pretty much anything.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck would anyone be against gyro. Like holy shit it is so much better than regular analogue sticks.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
I hope they do. The Xbox controller is pretty much the perfect shape imo so it's a shame that it's lacking something as basic as gyro.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox really needs the gryo in their controllers. It's a big omission at this point.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Just the haptics please. That trigger nonsense can stay. I'd rather have adjustable triggers like the elite as standard over the other stuff.
Attitude like this is why perhaps some of these features aren't there in the first place. It's an option which you can turn off. Based off this thread, the majority of people appreciate the feature and don't won't it to be turned off or removed. I'm sure the number would be similar if it were an Xbox controller feature.

Nooooooo! It's bad enough that my controller vibrates without me having to turn it off.
So people are against options that improve the gameplay experience now?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite really gonna have MS finally move forward from their functionally 3 generation old controller. You love to see it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As long as controllers don't get more expensive because of it, do whatever you want

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I love the Xbox controller but honestly think they should have done more with it. Gyro is one thing, but they still should had included wi-fi capabilities like the stadia controller has for better X-cloud integration above all.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I don't miss gyro that much. The little speaker on the controller though. I though that was soo cool! The radio messages coming through the controller when playing Dying Light was cool asf!

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Gyro for more precise aiming is better than sticks alone and it's not up for debate. I'd happily buy a new Series controller with gyro added and nothing else.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
If you don't like gyro, just turn/leave it off. Nothing wrong with having more options.

I look forward to the future when players also demand VR compatibility so that they can strafe as well, putting the gyro players at a disadvantage, furthermore splitting the community with annoying, though sometimes advantageous, "gimmicks".

As long as I can use my Maverick 2 joystick, that's fine.

1f7017372a4476f1a960b813045e38ac.jpg

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
gyro is a consequence of dual analogs being shit for shooting
it's a band-aid on a broken leg
But gyro actually addresses the issue, more so if you throw in flick stick. I was able to hold my own against mouse & keyboard players thanks to G/FS.

More options are never a bad thing.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It absolutely does need it. It's holding back other games from adding gyro support, or now, the Xbox version is just missing it completely.

Would like to see Cod have it one day.