Status
Not open for further replies.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
That's what Remedy needs: big budget, good management, great marketing, people who enjoy sp story games. Exactly what Sony can provide .

Hear me out now.... That can all happen without being owned by a first-party publisher. And Remedy doesn't exactly need a blockbuster budget to make quality single player experiences. See: Alan Wake, Quantum Break.

Does every game need to be a gangbuster selling title? The AA space and indie developers making titles like that are already few and far between.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playstation exclusives have been marriages of technical prowess and story telling. Remedy being acquired by Playstation could help insure funding, budget, resources, and time are alloted to truly flex their muscle.

In that sense, if Playstation can be a force to help facilitate growth, ambition, and a greater scope for a future Remedy game - than fuck yes I want them to be exclusive.

Ah yes, in The Order's case they got to flex their sphincter muscles in particular.

Now to log on and try the online features in Gravity Rush 2 to see the benefits of additional budget, time and resources afforded to Sony first party development!

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
If we see it, it's not too far off from last gen when they spent lots of money getting some exclusivity on (xbox centric Bungie's) Destiny last gen, trying to keep and woo in xbox fans to their platform. They figure the PlayStation fans are already with them, this move really is targeted mostly at gaining xbox players. Won't be surprised if Alan Wake 2 is their next game after control either.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out now.... That can all happen without being owned by a first-party publisher. And Remedy doesn't exactly need a blockbuster budget to make quality single player experiences. See: Alan Wake, Quantum Break.

Does every game need to be a gangbuster selling title? The AA space and indie developers making titles like that are already few and far between.
You're missing out a key factor. Marketing. Look at how at Sony markets their games everywhere.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Speculation I guess? I can't imagine those games had something like what a Spider-Man or a God of War had and that's not a knock on the games themselves because they're better than far larger games.

AW was in development for a long, long time. Remedy was fairly small at the time IIRC but their previous game (Max Payne 2) was released in 2003 so AW still had seven years of dev time behind it. QB also had a long dev time and then the multimedia aspect couldn't have been cheap. Even a low budget SyFy channel show with that cast and similar production values would cost millions for the amount of footage produced for the game.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Hear me out now.... That can all happen without being owned by a first-party publisher.
It can happen, but at least Sony gives it's studios the money and freedom they need. Not every publisher can do this.

Would SM PS4 not have sold more copies if it was the exact same game but multiplatform? 🤔
2 things: great game quality and big marketing budget. Activision, despite being one of the biggest publisher in the world, cound not provide the same for the ip.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Not every game needs to be that, sure, but maybe Remedy want to make, and enjoy making those types of big AAA blockbuster narrative based titles? If they do, development costs for those types of games by Remedy's own admission, are ever increasing, so higher sales in some ways is indeed necessary. Not to mention they're a business so they'll want to make as much money doing what they love as possible.

I'm not saying I agree with this acquisition (I don't know Remedy's financial situation), but I can see why it might make sense for them. Quantum Break didn't exactly set the world on fire with sales, so perhaps they believe that with Sony's experience, consumer demographic and marketing, they can make the kind of game they want (eg have the budget for it) whilst simultaneously having greater financial success?

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out. I'm personally not expecting Control to sell particularly well. The viewing and interest metrics for it have been pretty low.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Sure, like how multiplat Arkham games all sold as well as Spidey too. The secret is just be multiplat, the publisher is irrelevant. Ignore the fact the multiplat publisher's Spidey games never sold as well too.

Again, the Arkham games didn't release on the back of one of if not the highest grossing movie properties ever at its peak. Of course that isn't the sole reason Spider-Man sold well but it is a major factor.

Not every game needs to be that, sure, but maybe Remedy want to make, and enjoy making those types of big AAA blockbuster narrative based titles? If they do, development costs for those types of games by Remedy's own admission, are ever increasing, so higher sales in some ways is indeed necessary. Not to mention they're a business so they'll want to make as much money doing what they love as possible.

I'm not saying I agree with this acquisition (I don't know Remedy's financial situation), but I can see why it might make sense for them. Quantum Break didn't exactly set the world on fire with sales, so perhaps they believe that with Sony's experience, consumer demographic and marketing, they can make the kind of game they want (eg have the budget for it) whilst simultaneously having greater financial success?

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out. I'm personally not expecting Control to sell particularly well. The viewing and interest metrics for it have been pretty low.

I don't take issue with Remedy potentially doing what they feel is best for them. My issue is with the near celebratory tone of this possible acquisition as if it isn't symptomatic of larger issue with the industry.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Again, the Arkham games didn't release on the back of one of if not the highest grossing movie properties ever at its peak. Of course that isn't the sole reason Spider-Man sold well but it is a major factor.

Um you may want to check out a little known movie called The Dark Knight that launched a year before AA. A movie that outgrossed every single Spider-man movie up to Homecoming.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Remedy is a good studio, but their last few games always lacked something.
The games looked good and the gameplay was solid, but the worlds they created in their games never really stood out imo.

I think Remedy is one of those studios that could really benefit from working on licensed games. So if Sony is planning to acquire or partner with Remedy to develop more Marvel Games or let them work on other popular IPs (MIB, Ghost Busters, ...), that could be a really great thing for Remedy.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You all need to remember that Sony doesn't acquire a studio simply for their games, but for their technical abilities and development knowledge. This is why Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, and Media Molecule were purchased.

Remedy fits that bill with how technically impressive their games tend to be. They could potentially add a lot to SIE in that area

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It wouldn't have been the exact same game. Insomniac have been very clear on just how helpful Sony was with helping them make the best game it could possibly be. A publishers job isn't always to just supply the cash, despite what some think.
Would it be exactly the same game as released if it was intended as a multi-platform game? 🤔
I think the point probably is that it wouldn't have been the exact same game if it was multiplatform. As someone posted earlier, Sony gave the game great support. It isn't a coincidence that Sony's first party games keep turning out so well.
Your basic assumption is flawed, it wouldn't have been the same game with a multi platform publisher
2 things: great game quality and big marketing budget. Activision, despite being one of the biggest publisher in the world, cound not provide the same for the ip.
Compare the IP during the Amazing Spiderman days vs the MCU days and you'd see why a publisher would be willing to invest a lot more into the project instead of just being a standard movie tie in game.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Remedy is a good studio, but their last few games always lacked something.
The games looked good and the gameplay was solid, but the worlds they created in their games never really stood out imo.

I think Remedy is one of those studios that could really benefit from working on licensed games. So if Sony is planning to acquire or partner with Remedy to develop more Marvel Games or let them work on other popular IPs (MIB, Ghost Busters, ...), that could be a really great thing for Remedy.
I'd really like to see them make a Doctor Strange game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

I don't take issue with Remedy potentially doing what they feel is best for them. My issue is with the near celebratory tone of this possible acquisition as if it isn't symptomatic of larger issue with the industry.
They did release alongside 1 of the biggest Superhero trilogies ever though. The Dark Knight trilogy was no Avengers, sure, but it's no slouch either.
The biggest factor was the quality, we have no way to know how it turns out under a different publisher.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying this as mostly an Xbox guy but also a big remedy fan but I think this is a really good match.

Sony does a great job marketing and selling single player games like what remedy makes. I think Sony could do wonders for a studio like remedy. I think Alan Wake or Quantam Break would have done much better if it was under the SIE umbrella and sold to that audience.

I'd of course be disappointed that I couldn't play these games on Xbox but I think it would be a good play for both Remedy and Sony.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Compare the IP during the Amazing Spiderman days vs the MCU days and you'd see why a publisher would be willing to invest a lot more into the project instead of just being a standard movie tie in game.

But there were countless spiderman games being released during the MCU? Amazing Spiderman and amazing spiderman 2 were released during this time-frame. 2012-2014.

Spiderman needed a reboot badly in both movies and games. ANd Sony's/Insomniac spiderman game is not like its connected to the MCU. It might of had a big impact because of the re insurgence of the character in past years.

The spiderman brand needed a reboot plain and simple and no one for a while wanted to touch it, not even activision. Activision moved on to deadpool which seemed to actually sell well.

Like others have said Marvel approached SOny not the other way around. Marvel has had enough of shitty spiderman games, and shitty movie tie in's done by sega, activision.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Would rather see Sony do what they doing with Kojima Production. A close partnership without need to purchase the studio. And spend the aquisition cash in a japanese jrpg dev.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Um you may want to check out a little known movie called The Dark Knight that launched a year before AA. A movie that outgrossed every single Spider-man movie up to Homecoming.

Are you comparing one trilogy to an entire connected universe franchise? Even when Spider-Man wasn't connected to the MCU, it was still benefiting from being a marvel property

And honestly, if we're keeping it a buck, Batman walked so Spider-Man could run because those game revitalized interest in licensed titles.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
"Holding back" might be the wrong phrase. But it's really obvious that companies can win big by working with Sony. Just look at Insomniac: Their previous game, Sunset Overdrive wasn't that successful. Then Sony approached them, gave them the fucking Spider-Man IP, tons of support with resources and technology and the result was one of the best games of this generation. Insomniac's creative director said it himself: "Sony's support during development was second to none."

So yes, that makes it pretty exciting to imagine what a Sony-owned Remedy could do. Because we've seen what other studios have achieved with Sony's support.

We also shouldn't ignore aspects like Spiderman releasing years into the generation, which meant a larger install base along with a much bigger marketing campaign than SSO ever got.

SSO suffered because it launched on a console that was still going through substantial negative press at the time, it's a shame but it is what it is. I hope Insomniac don't become a Spiderman factory so we can see them explore SSO more and see more of their unique ideas in other games.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Or, as is more likely, Sony leveraged their ownership of the Spiderman movie rights to make an exclusive Spiderman game.

According to Insomniac/Jstevenson, that is not the case. Marvel supposedly picked Sony and gave them the option to make any Marvel IP, Sony picked Insomniac and told them they could pick whatever Marvel IP they wanted, and Insomniac picked Spider-Man because they felt it best suited their aspirations and studio strengths.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Or, as is more likely, Sony leveraged their ownership of the Spiderman movie rights to make an exclusive Spiderman game.
That's completely not true, as we've heard multiple times from everyone involved, movie right had nothing to do with it. Marvel went to Sony, wanting them to give 1 of their I.P the "1st party treatment". Sony went to Insomniac and let them pick which Marvel character they wanted. Insomniac picked Spider-Man.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That would be a great acquisition. They fit Sony's narrative driven single player games very well.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
But it has nothing to do with the films? And Marvel owns the rights for video games and what not not Sony. So marvel went to Sony just like they went to Crystal Dynamics for Avengers.

Yes, Marvel has the rights to the game, but that doesn't mean Sony couldn't leverage their movie rights to get the game rights, for at least one game as I'm sure Marvel saw what the first game sold and must be wondering how much more they could sell across more platforms.

We also shouldn't forget that Spiderman as a game IP wasn't in the best place when Activision lost their exclusive rights to make games. Sony grabbing the exclusive rights probably wasn't that difficult at the time.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
According to Insomniac/Jstevenson, that is not the case. Marvel supposedly picked Sony and gave them the option to make any Marvel IP, Sony picked Insomniac and told them they could pick whatever Marvel IP they wanted, and Insomniac picked Spider-Man because they felt it best suited their aspirations and studio strengths.

My bad, I missed that part of the story.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Are you comparing one trilogy to an entire connected universe franchise? Even when Spider-Man wasn't connected to the MCU, it was still benefiting from being a marvel property

No I'm comparing the games released one year after the same character starred in a high profile solo movie. Insomniac's Spider-Man is not part of the MCU. Arkham Asylum, released one year after the $1 billion worldwide gross for The Dark Knight is a fine comparison to Insomniac's Spider-Man released one year after the $880 million grossing Homecoming.

And the current highest grossing Spider-Man movie isn't even part of the MCU. Spider-Man 3 holds that crown for a couple more weeks and it's $890 million worldwide gross is crazy impressive for 2007. I love MCU Spider-Man but the character never needed the MCU. The overwhelming success of the Raimi trilogy proves that.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
We also shouldn't ignore aspects like Spiderman releasing years into the generation, which meant a larger install base along with a much bigger marketing campaign than SSO ever got.

SSO suffered because it launched on a console that was still going through substantial negative press at the time, it's a shame but it is what it is. I hope Insomniac don't become a Spiderman factory so we can see them explore SSO more and see more of their unique ideas in other games.

It's on PC and not selling gangbusters. A lot of their first party games even including Ratchet and clank in the PS4's third year sold really well. Sony's exclusives minus a few this entire gen have done really well. I mean shit look at how well infamous second son did compared to Infamous 2 which was an pretty large install base at the time.

Their first party just sells really well, and their collaborated games do well too. It has more to do with a combination of having the stronger brand, and their relationships with these developers/studios on top of having a crazy good PR/Ad agency.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, Marvel has the rights to the game, but that doesn't mean Sony couldn't leverage their movie rights to get the game rights, for at least one game as I'm sure Marvel saw what the first game sold and must be wondering how much more they could sell across more platforms.

We also shouldn't forget that Spiderman as a game IP wasn't in the best place when Activision lost their exclusive rights to make games. Sony grabbing the exclusive rights probably wasn't that difficult at the time.

Marvel already confirmed that "the future of Spiderman is on PlayStation" or something along those lines

Status
Not open for further replies.