• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
As long as Sony allow them to release games on PC I have no problem with this. Whatever it takes for Alan Wake 2!

If Sony would make them exclusive to the Playstation family, well... Control will be my last remedy game i guess.

After seeing their godlike implementation of RTX in Control it would be a disaster for them to go console exclusive.

Sony would release games on PC if they had a PSN client, but why would they support Windows for free?

Nov 21, 2017
I don't know if Sony will acquire Remedy as in the history of SIE they have never acquired a studio they had not previously worked it.

Though many signs certainly suggest SIE are partnering up with Remedy on a new game for next generation:

1. Control was announced during Sony's E3 2018 Press Conference

2. Sony has a marketing deal and timed exclusive content for Control

3. In a financial statement, Remedy's future plans included multiple partnerships.(So far 2 partnerships have been revealed with 505 Games publishing Control and Remedy collaborating with Smilegate on the single player portion of Crossfire X. Perhaps SIE is another partnership) https://2qyvea42zlxl2lzrbajpdvgw-wp.../2017/04/Remedy-2018-financial-statements.pdf

4. Kojima visited Remedy back in January.

5. Shuhei visited Remedy back in May. Shuhei only visits either first party studios or other Worldwide Studios they collaborate with SIE on games

6. Remedy visited both Naughty Dog and Insomniac last month

7. Lastly in this Gameinformer video in which Sam Lake discusses Kojima's studio visit he mentions the two compared notes and specifically says one of the notes they discussed was Publishers.(around the 30 second mark) Other than SIE, Konami is the only publisher Kojima has worked with when it comes to publishing his games. Ain't no way Kojima going to talk positively about Konami after they way the ousted him.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Zhuge said here that Sony really tried, but the outcome is unknown
here is something thats been on my mind after zhuge's posts.
jim ryan saying in interviews that they are looking for acquisitions. now we have this rumor that sony were exploring the acquisition of remedy but later backtracks and says he doesnt think it will happen.
does that mean he knows of a more likely acquisition?

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Compulsion is a small team that's still relatively new to the industry. Most of MS's acquisitions are small teams that rarely get a chance to make a big budget game. Even if the game bombs it's not gonna be costly compared to maintaining a huge studio like Remedy.
Compulsion is newer, much smaller, had much smaller budgets, and is not valued at 112+ million Euro.
Obviously yeah, the operating cost isn't the same and it might not have been worth it for Microsoft. I'm just saying dismissing Remedy because of their porfolio of games is not a good argument.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
jim ryan saying in interviews that they are looking for acquisitions. now we have this rumor that sony were exploring the acquisition of remedy but later backtracks and says he doesnt think it will happen.
Insomniac here we go haha

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just to be 100% clear here, I think you should quote the full Remedy section of the article.

I have heard from a few sources that Sony is looking to acquire Remedy. But as I say later in the article, I think things like the Alan Wake buyback cast doubt on it.

My personal opinion is that Sony will probably publish Remedy's next game, and that's where the speculation is coming from.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer, as I don't want people to be misled.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Jesus....sony really have brainwashed y'all into buying remasters. How about just being able to play the original game upscaled for free.....

And spend +400€ euros just for 1 game?

hurry.gif

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just to be 100% clear here, I think you should quote the full Remedy section of the article.

I have heard from a few sources that Sony is looking to acquire Remedy. But as I say later in the article, I think things like the Alan Wake buyback cast doubt on it.

My personal opinion is that Sony will probably publish Remedy's next game, and that's where the speculation is coming from.

Thanks for clarification .

Yea their next game is probably ps5 AAA exclusive . No buyouts

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quote the part were I talked about backlash.u can't cause those are ur interpretation of what i said.i never talked about backlash .
I LOVE how MS buying these guys is the worst move ever and typical MS bullshit, yet once Sony have a shot, its the best thing in the world and such a good move... Those goal posts man, we just cant lock them down...

That's a weird take .MS has acquired 6 studios in 12 months and everyone was fine with it .Sony has not done even one in 7 years .
This implies that there was no backlash. If everyone was fine with it there would be no backlash.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't see it happening even if it's just because of the fact that we're talking about spending over $100mil to buy a studio which is just more of the same. For that kinda money they'd be better off buying some smaller studios like Housemarque, IllFonic and Arrowhead in my opinion.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Bet Sony are more interested now that Remedy bought Alan Wake publishing rights back from Microsoft. Would be hilarious to see Alan Wake 2 on PS5 only when Alan Wake 1 was Xbox 360 exclusive hahaha

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Remedy didn't 'buyback' Alan Wake.

Geez, not a good look for y'all over at Push Square when you get something so simple so wrong.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck? Just buy a Playstation. Remedy has had huge issues with funding their games this would resolve that and put them with a pool of teams that make single player narrative experiences.

I own a PlayStation, I own all platforms. But hey fuck me for wanting them to be able to be still published on all platforms? They make good use of the PC.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I LOVE how MS buying these guys is the worst move ever and typical MS bullshit, yet once Sony have a shot, its the best thing in the world and such a good move... Those goal posts man, we just cant lock them down...
Exactly. Why can't people stop bullying Microsoft. It's not fair

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

You missed this post too, as it seems so did many others...

And can we get that source for the 12m budget for Control you keep posting?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This implies that there was no backlash. If everyone was fine with it there would be no backlash.
Everyone was fine with it . That's my opinion.ofcourse few hard core fans were not happy but it was overall positive .backlash would have been having non stop threads about it and complaining or attacking these developers Twitter like hardcore fans did for TR which thankfully didn't happen.

So overall positive imo.

Anyways let's not derail the thread

Facts:

Ms acquired 6 studios in 12 months
Sony acquired zero studios in 7 years .

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not how a platform holder operates (well outside of Xbox now), maximum sales at the cost of the platform, isn't worth it.

I just hope we don't lose Remedy's PC ports. They are always top tier and I consider them a PC developer since the original Max Payne. I bought a new GPU for that game!

I own a PlayStation, I own all platforms. But hey fuck me for wanting them to be able to be still published on all platforms? They make good use of the PC.

I agree, great PC Devs. Would really suck to see them locked down to a console environment.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if them getting back alan wake ip has anything to do with this

In any case, im excited for a possible aw ps4 remaster

Oct 25, 2017
If that's what it takes for Alan Wake 2, i'm in. I do find it weird that there was a lot of backlash against Ms's first party acquisitions but a lot of people now seem weirdly happy about this.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I wonder if them getting back alan wake ip has anything to do with this

In any case, im excited for a possible aw ps4 remaster
Remedy has always owned the Alan Wake IP, Microsoft just held the publishing rights to the first game. Remedy even confirmed that all the way back in 2015 that they pitched Alan Wake 2 to multiple publishers, but once they pitched it to Microsoft it turned into Quantum Break instead https://www.polygon.com/features/2015/4/20/8450329/alan-wake-2-prototype-video-interview

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You missed this post too, as it seems so did many others...

And can we get that source for the 12m budget for Control you keep posting?
I did see zhuge saying that "but later backtracks and says he doesnt think it will happen. "

and i already said that i cant find it, which is why i stopped mentioning it, but i explained that the source is from their presentation 2 months ago and it was in one of the slides i am 100% certain of it. if you want you can try looking for it, but for some reason i cant seem to find it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Everyone was fine with it . That's my opinion.ofcourse few hard core fans were not happy but it was overall positive .backlash would have been having non stop threads about it and complaining or attacking these developers Twitter like hardcore fans did for TR which thankfully didn't happen.

So overall positive imo.

Facts:

Microsoft is a PC publisher and a platform holder. Hopefully Sony will be a PC publisher too if they purchase Remedy.

or Is the Spin that it's OK now, because MS did it first?

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So overall positive imo.

Facts:

Just because you say something is your opinion doesn't mean it overrules the facts. The fact of the matter was that there was a backlash, so not everyone was fine with it. PERIOD.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just because you say something is your opinion doesn't mean it overrules the facts. The fact of the matter was that there was a backlash, so not everyone was fine with it. PERIOD.
Sure if it makes u happy, backlash was there . And we r seeing a backlash for rumor right here in this very thread so ur point is mute .

To other point , can u refute this :

Why shouldn't Sony acquire more studios ? Can you naswer that ?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that's what it takes for Alan Wake 2, i'm in. I do find it weird that there was a lot of backlash against Ms's first party acquisitions but a lot of people now seem weirdly happy about this.

Its not weird, in the sense that playstation will almost always be given the benefit of the doubt by a quite vocal group. Probably has to do with their resounding success this generation. But a lot of people see xbox buys studio=bad sony buys studio=more god of war/uncharted level products. Ms still has to prove themselves, but for some people who have already made up their mind, they will never prove themselves enough and that goal
Post will keep on moving

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I just hope we don't lose Remedy's PC ports. They are always top tier and I consider them a PC developer since the original Max Payne. I bought a new GPU for that game!

I agree, great PC Devs. Would really suck to see them locked down to a console environment.
I think that's very reasonable stance, they are definitely more a PC dev than PlayStation one. But I don't think Sony will buy Remedy personally, just doesn't fit their past buys. I think it's very possible Remedy are making a PS5 exclusive though.
I'm pretty sad I won't get Double Fine games on PlayStation anymore, it's shit, but better than the alternative, so I'm happy for DF, despite that.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure if it makes u happy, backlash was there . And we r seeing a backlash for rumor right here in this very thread so ur point is mute .

I wasn't arguing about that. I was arguing the portion I bolded.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I don't understand what your point is in this. MS got ripped for 5 years for not having strong enough first party studios and output, Sony didn't. MS probably saved the studio's they purchased and we can 100 percent confirm that these games will be coming to PC. giving the customers choice on where to purchase.

Like I said, I have no problem with Sony buying anyone if they would support Devs in releasing PC versions of games, Saving a studio like remedy and securing Jobs. Especially Devs who are renowned PC developers. Literally WHATEVER it takes for Alan Wake 2. - just release it on PC please.

Just don't cut me out of a RTX version please.

Feb 26, 2018
Its not weird, in the sense that playstation will almost always be given the benefit of the doubt by a quite vocal group. Probably has to do with their resounding success this generation. But a lot of people see xbox buys studio=bad sony buys studio=more god of war/uncharted level products. Ms still has to prove themselves, but for some people who have already made up their mind, they will never prove themselves enough and that goal
Post will keep on moving
Same goes for fanboys with persecution complex

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Both fanbases engage in this behavior tbh. Like we can see from your post.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wasn't arguing about that. I was arguing the portion I bolded.
So u had issue with tiny part of my sentence but not the main point of my post lol.talk about missing the point. Thanks anyways .

Point is Sony hasn't acquired anyone in 7 years . It is time to do so if the want to stay relevant in AAA content .

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Will the salt over AW2's exclusivity be bigger than Bayonetta 2 in this town? I kinda wanna see it.

Like some people aid, i'm expecting Sony to fund a game at best. Won't buy them.

Why is it that I can't help but feel like this is some fairy tale bullshit and no such acquisition is happening at all.

I love Remedy by the way. Have done since the Max Payne days. But does Sony really need another cinematic, third-person shooter dev under its belt?

Cinematic
Third person
Realistic graphics
Over the shoulder camera most likely

Sony's favorite first party ingredients

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Nobody buys any of their games though. Watch control sell one million. Nobody cares about it. Nobody is talking about it. It's sad. Most people are just waiting on bl3. This is a huge AAA game. They have rtx. And nobody cares about it.

I'm going to get criticized for saying that on here. Because, strangely, lots of people are supportive on this site. But I just don't hear it talked about on Reddit or twitter

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody buys any of their games though. Watch control sell one million. Nobody cares about it. Nobody is talking about it. It's sad. Most people are just waiting on bl3. This is a huge AAA game. They have rtx. And nobody cares about it.

I'm going to get criticized for saying that on here. Because, strangely, lots of people are supportive on this site. But I just don't hear it talked about on Reddit or twitter
With Sony marketing they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.