Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I like open world games... Sometimes. I love RDR 2 story and characters, but the structure of the game got a little bit tiring after 30 hours. I have not finished ACO yet because of the huge world. Spider-Man has great movement at least so I guess I'll finish that.

But I cust CAN'T WAIT for Jan/Feb/March of next year.

- Kingdom Hearts 3. Huge game but not open world!
- RE2 Remake. Linear horror/TPS.
- Metro Exodus. Hub-based world, again, not open world.
- DMC5. Linear character-action game.
- Sekiro. Linear character-action game with souls-like feel.

My wallet will suffer but holy crap, it's the first time I'm hyped for so many games coming out in such short time period. Sure, I will probably also play Division 2 which is MMO-like open world, but that's mostly to play with friends.

Amazing anti-open world time ahead of us. Who else is excited?

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been excited at any line up this entire gen up until 2019. I hope they all perform well

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad someone other than me feels this way, I'm playing Spyro right now and seeing such a small scale down with levels you can beat in 5 minutes and platinum in less than 10 hours is such a nice change of pace, open world fatigue is real.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Yep. I really hope this is not just a one time co-incidence and we see more of this.
I am probably not buying a game for a while if it is open world . Hell I am so burnt out by them that I haven't even bought rdr2 yet. I just can't get myself to play them anymore. Very few exceptions like yakuza games hold my interest nowadays when it comes to open world.
So hyped for Sekiro , dmc5 and metro.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
I'm tired of all the open world games, so Q1 2019 is gonna be amazing.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's certainly open world-ish. The Metro games used to be linear shooters, Exodus seems like a departure from the established style towards current gaming trends.
Yep. Metro: Exodus is basically cut from the same cloth as STALKER: Call of Pripyat, and Homefront: The Revolution. Basically a more constrained version of an open world where you explore a series of moderate sized zones, with transitions between them. The distinction between something like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and something like Homefront: The Revolution comes down to scale, I think. There's a fuzzy area where it's too big to be reasonably called a hub but isn't quite large enough to be categorized easily as an open world.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's looking preeeetty good. Lots of that top notch Japanese singleplayer action that Daddy likes.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Big time open world naysayer here. I looked over my top 10 most anticipated games of 2019 list the other day and found a small sense of comfort in the amount of linear and not-traditionally-open-world games I have to look forward to in the coming year.

Exist 2 Inspire

Powered by Friendship™
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
And i was wondering why 2019 seems so quiet for me from a games perspective, that must be it!

Also isn't Anthem a open-world game?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Sekiro isn't a linear character action game (definitely not in the same vein as DMC).

https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/24/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-length-playtime-dark-souls-3-bloodborne/

"We can't give a specific number of hours right now, but we think in terms of game volume, it's probably not going to be too different from our recent titles.

"Play-time is very nebulous, it varies from player to player with our old titles as well. Again with this game, in terms of development scope and what we're trying to create in terms of the world and variety – it's not going to differ too much."

When I asked if that meant Sekiro was specifically similar to Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, he replied, again via a translator: "Yes, that's correct."

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
That's certainly open world-ish. The Metro games used to be linear shooters, Exodus seems like a departure from the established style towards current gaming trends.

Too be fair metro last light had a few open ended levels mixed with linear ones and exodus is more of an evolution of that and it's still not an open world game sins it's divided in zones and some are bigger than other. it's probably closer to god of war 2018 than AC odyssey or RDR 2 or any other "true" open world games.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Re2, Sekiro, and dmc5 all the way. Seems like q1 is the best time of the year for me lately

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only interested in one of those games. Maaaybe Kingdom Hearts too if it's newcomer friendly. So it's just plain bad and not exciting to me. Resident Evil looks ace though.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Open world's broke me this year with AC and Red Dead in quick succession. So happy for some more linear games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
- Kingdom Hearts 3. Huge game but not open world!
- RE2 Remake. Linear horror/TPS.
- DMC5. Linear character-action game.
- Sekiro. Linear character-action game with souls-like feel.

All these are games I'll be grabbing. Cannot wait especially for RE2 and DMC5. Only other games I'll be grabbing day 1 next Jan are Mario U and RGG4 (import). So only one open world (ish) game in the bunch.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
I also hope they are more focused. I remember when I was looking to get a break with short linear games like Gravity Rush 2 and Nioh in 2017, but then they turned out to be 50 hour long titles again. RE7 was just right, so I hope the Capcom games are again 10-15 hours (and then decent postgame features). Sekiro I hope for a decent 20 hours with no padding.

Oct 27, 2017
Only interested in Sekiro from that list, and am not at all tired of open world games. More open world games please.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You can have your little victory, people who are tired of open world games.

But open world games will be back in no time!

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I also hope they are more focused. I remember when I was looking to get a break with short linear games like Gravity Rush 2 and Nioh in 2017, but then they turned out to be 50 hour long titles again. RE7 was just right, so I hope the Capcom games are again 10-15 hours (and then decent postgame features). Sekiro I hope for a decent 20 hours with no padding.
Nothing wrong with NiOh. Still playing today since release and the online community is pretty active. No way Sekiro will be 20 hours lol

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
I guess that's why 2019 is looking so dire on my end. Only interested in Anthem, Ori 2 and expansions of AC: Odyssey for now.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
2018 wasn't big on open worlds either tbf. Red Dead, Assassins Creed, and Spider-Man are three that stick out (and even then with the latter you move around so quickly and the world is small enough to where it doesn't feel too open) but otherwise there wasn't as much as there has been in recent years.

Nintendo didn't have a single open world game out of their dozen or so exclusives. Most Sony games were limited in scope, and even big third party games like FighterZ, MonHun, Hitman, NNK2, Yakuza, etc all went agaknst the flood of open worlds.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And there's more after: Ori, Control, MK 11, Ace Combat 7, Pokemon, Jump Force, Shenmue 3, The Sinking City, Code Vein, CTR, Fire Emblem, Town, Psychonauts 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Dreams, Luigi's Mansion, Yo-Kai Watch, maybe TLOU 2.

I love open worlds, but it's refreshing.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And there's more after: Ori, Control, MK 11, Ace Combat 7, Pokemon, Jump Force, Shenmue 3, The Sinking City, Code Vein, CTR, Fire Emblem, Town, Psychonauts 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Dreams, Luigi's Mansion, Yo-Kai Watch, maybe TLOU 2.

I love open worlds, but it's refreshing.

Technically the outer worlds isn't open world either it's a few large-ish hub zones so add that to the list too. I mean if we're counting metro as not open world then this has to count too.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very excited for three of these games.

That being said, I played tons of games this year and none of them were open world. There are great non-open world games all over the place, all the time.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
More like hell for my wallet. RE2, Metro Exodus, Sekiro and DMCV and then MK11 in April are must gets for me.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
After googling 2018s games, there were plenty of non open world games. Yall just weren't interested in them.

I dont have this hang up so I'll be looking forward to games, linear or open world.

2019 does look great so far.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Metro: Exodus is basically cut from the same cloth as STALKER: Call of Pripyat, and Homefront: The Revolution. Basically a more constrained version of an open world where you explore a series of moderate sized zones, with transitions between them. The distinction between something like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and something like Homefront: The Revolution comes down to scale, I think. There's a fuzzy area where it's too big to be reasonably called a hub but isn't quite large enough to be categorized easily as an open world.
A hub is a central area that leads to more linear spokes. A game made entirely out of "hubs" is just a segmented open world, functionally it's no different from an open world that separates distinct areas with mountains or rivers.