IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
When does this start? because they currently have planes in the air with people who haven't even been tested, never mind vaccinated.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is this will be required if you want to travel to Japan for the Olympics also. Probably will be issued a card of some kind.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
When does this start? because they currently have planes in the air with people who haven't even been tested, never mind vaccinated.
Qantas has pretty much ceased all international travel as of right now, they're operating repatriation flights pretty much exclusively (citizens and permanents residents cannot leave Australia unless they have an application for exemption).

They've already said it's unlikely they'll resume normal operations to places like North America until 2022.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Sounds good to me hope Air NZ and others follow suit

Man, that hurts, but I get it.
I'm an Australian living in Canada. Trust me, I know the pain. It's brutal knowing I can't even get home if I need to for another year. Really hoping these vaccines pan out and they manage to roll out quickly, I sure wish I was facing Australian like daily case numbers instead of Canadian ones right now.

Duck

Oct 25, 2017
I may as well latch on to this question since I have a similar one, some vaccines are made in eggs and I have a severe allergy to those which means I absolutely cannot have them, are any of the Covid ones a problem for me?
The vaccines being publicized in the news (the mRNA ones) aren't egg-based.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I know's it's from a film (Contagion), but a bracelet like this with a unique barcode could work.

Immunity-Passport-explainer.jpg
That'll amuse the "Mark of the Beast" freaks!
Hehe

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Most vaccination cards apply a printed label from the vial, certainly for kids vaccines (not the flu shot). It'll likely be similar, guaranteed most governments around the world will want to keep track of and have proof of vaccination.
Oh interesting, assuming there's a database that you can scan a barcode or something to check against, then at least it could prevent counterfeiting.

I'm just looking at all those fake "mask exemption" cards people are using to get around wearing a mask, so I know people will fake them.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Show my papers, huh? Where am I, NAZI GERMANY?

I expect to hear that sentence screeched a million times in the near future.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia

Currently, anybody who lands in Australia on an international flight must undergo a mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine. My guess is once most of Australia is vaccinated, mandatory vaccination checks for incoming travellers will probably replace this.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I'm an Australian living in Canada. Trust me, I know the pain. It's brutal knowing I can't even get home if I need to for another year. Really hoping these vaccines pan out and they manage to roll out quickly, I sure wish I was facing Australian like daily case numbers instead of Canadian ones right now.

You can return to Australia if you're a permanent resident/citizen, but there is a small asterisk in that not all states are covering the costs of the mandatory quarantine period.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
How would this work with international travelers? How would people from other countries prove that they have the vaccine? With documents in their own language that no one else can read?
Honestly it's not that hard... passports too are written in several languages to avoid this problem... they can do the same for this vaccine passport

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds good but will they keep it if profits go down?

Qantas has been crippled by Covid. Australia has grounded all international flights except a few for returning citizens. Even interstate travel has grinded to a halt and only now is starting to pick up for holiday travelers. Business trips are nearly gone.

Qantas cannot afford to be the cause of an outbreak that shuts down the country again. Some profit is better than a 500 million in loss.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Or you could be, like, a little less distopyan and have an email from your doctor on your phone.
I wanted that barcode written in the back of my neck against my will and having armed soldiers with hazmat suits yelling my CITIZEN ID for me to remember, but sure, let's go with your boring alternative.

Seriously though, I could imagine you have to get an appointment for the vaccine on some website, get a check-in/out on your phone and keep it as a QR code. I know that in Mexico you can check some of your social data with basic info like day/place of birth and your full name, so if you're doing international travel chances are you can get your way around getting that proof from the health department.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
You can return to Australia if you're a permanent resident/citizen, but there is a small asterisk in that not all states are covering the costs of the mandatory quarantine period.
My wife and child are Canadian, they cannot enter. Besides that, actually getting flights is the bigger issue, they basically don't exist.

With that said, this whole pandemic has made me question moving all of us back over once it's over. It has been a stark contrast in how much better the Australian population and government has taken what measures have been required. I'm pretty disgusted with what is going on here right now, it shares way more similarities to American politics than many would like to admit.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
My wife and child are Canadian, they cannot enter. Besides that, actually getting flights is the bigger issue, they basically don't exist.

With that said, this whole pandemic has made me question moving all of us back over once it's over. It has been a stark contrast in how much better the Australian population and government has taken what measures have been required. I'm pretty disgusted with what is going on here right now.

Ah, right. My sincere condolences; that's quite the tough situation. :(

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yep best way to do it and countries should also deny entry if people can't verify it

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Good for those security measures.
I'm afraid there will be forgeries again, just like there were people who forged authorizations not to wear masks.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Ah, right. My sincere condolences; that's quite the tough situation. :(
Thanks, we're not doing too bad but the outlook over the next few months sure does make Australia look like a holiday.

I'd love to move back home once this is over, spending $1M+ on a basic home to be closer to family, less so hah.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

With that said, this whole pandemic has made me question moving all of us back over once it's over. It has been a stark contrast in how much better the Australian population and government has taken what measures have been required. I'm pretty disgusted with what is going on here right now, it shares way more similarities to American politics than many would like to admit.
Am I misunderstanding that link or do they not fall under the exemptions list because they're immediate family?

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I want ALL other industries to follow suit! I want a societal shift away from tolerating anti-vaxxers!

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Am I misunderstanding that link or do they not fall under the exemptions list because they're immediate family?
You're misunderstanding unfortunately. You have to normally reside in Australia to qualify, I haven't lived there for years.

-- EDIT --
Actually it appears it was me who was misunderstanding, that rule only applies to NZ citizens.

Last edited:

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait to be able to travel again without worrying about antivaxx plague rats

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
showing emails and letters is way too slow once airport gets packed again. Something scannable or verified pre-flight printed on your ticket sounds more reasonable

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Anti vaxxers will just forge the documents. I wish there was a better way for proof. Should be tied to your ID or something.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Currently, anybody* who lands in Australia on an international flight must undergo a mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine. My guess is once most of Australia is vaccinated, mandatory vaccination checks for incoming travellers will probably replace this.
* Except NZers. :P

This makes perfect sense, hopefully it can be enforced well. Implementing something like this years ago would've saved a lot of lives from anti-vaxxer stupidity, like the Samoan measles outbreak last year.