• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Source

Quake Champions, the arena shooter from id Software that's been in early access since 2017, will be permanently free to play, id and Bethesda Softworks announced at QuakeCon today.

Free-to-play has been part of id Software's plan for a long time, and the developer has offered a free-to-play version of Quake Champions, as well as paid Starter Pack and Champions Pack options, during early access. The developer will continue to offer that Champions Pack (which is currently on sale as part of Bethesda's QuakeCon sales).

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I'll just jump in with an opinion. I was skeptical to jump in for months because the idea of my beloved Quake getting the hero shooter treatment didn't fill me with excitement, but after playing for some time I've found the powers generally just add variety and a layer of strategy on top of an incredibly sturdy bedrock of aim, movement, awareness, and map control that the series has traditionally been about. It's definitely still Quake. I think it's worth trying.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Had a few games, quite impressed. It's not as bad looking as I thought from glancing at a few youtube videos. You start out with a pretty wide FOV too.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played in a while but I hope the game can start getting some traction with people now cause it's super fun. Just wish they'd gone free with it sooner since it's been pretty obvious most people weren't too interested in buying it and having your game sit around with low player counts for such a long time doesn't seem too healthy.

OP
OP
Kayant

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yh they have made so much great improvements since beta when online was just a laggy mess. The recent update adding instagib playlist was welcomed.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The game is great. Would be even better if it wasn't a hero shooter. Give me pure Quake 3 with modern tech.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying what I've played so far. I wish it had more modes like Capture the Flag but I'm sure that'll come eventually.