community-ken-jeong.gif
CsQCSTnVUAAmp0y.jpg

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Arent steam games updated at 13h00 pm est time? Where is it :(

edit: Oh nvm its the old steam entry just updated

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on how this compares to Quake 2 RTX?

This looks closer to a remaster still going for the original art style, so it doesn't particularly look like RTX. This one has updated models and shadow-cast lighting, but it's not as technically "fancy" as the actual RT version. That said, this has waaay more presentation options (i.e., motion-blur, texture filtering options, and a CRT filter built in).

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Ok this runs way better on deck than the Quake remaster does. Vulkan renderer is nice and frame pacing seems lovely and smooth.

Looks great too.

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Nightdive continuing to do the work of champions. So glad this is a free update to the steam version though as my pockets are tight this month!

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Yessssss.

Ok this runs way better on deck than the Quake remaster does. Vulkan renderer is nice and frame pacing seems lovely and smooth.

Looks great too.
The Quake remaster needs the frame rate limiter set to 59hz on Deck iirc. Works for a lot of games that have frame pacing issues on Deck.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The remaster removes the excessive recoil on the Machine Gun - that is a nice change.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
I'm playing the steam version at 4k with an RTX 4080 and the framerate seems very inconsistant at times.

It's extremely smooth and then it tanks for a couple of seconds before it gets back to normal. I haven't measured it but it happened 2 or 3 times in the second Quake 64 level.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, remember when MS were updating Quake 4 on the MS Store to basically fix bugs? Did they ever release those fixes on Steam?

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Quake 2 is, other than 4, the Quake I played least, but I have some very fond memories of playing CTF over a LAN in Stronghold (I think that's the map name?). It's also the game that made me fall in love with grappling hooks in games. $10 is an easy ask for the nostalgia value alone, and the extra content and split-screen multiplayer is just icing on the cake. Insta-bought.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
My first impressions of this are that is is definitely the definitive way to play Quake 2. I'd argue the source ports for Quake 1 using the remastered content are the way to go for the original, but this is basically perfect - I assume we'll be able to mod the health cross back to red fairly easily.

Jul 1, 2020
Nice
I'll replay it. Is the N64 version that different? I know it's not a doom 64 case

By the way, why are they drip feeding the Quake games when they dropped all the Doom games relatively quickly?
The Doom games (with the exception of 64) were already available on console at that point. The Quake games are all new to modern consoles.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Quake 1 & 2 were technologically impressive games, but they were also fugly as hell due to the art. Like, they definitely ran circles around the consoles, but the drab looking environments just didn't do it for me. I ended up finding games like Goldeneye and Turok to be better looking. I actually experienced the 2 Quakes games in the early 2000s where 3D accelerators were more common. They were a lot of fun.

Did they fix the weird model wrapping problem with Q2? There was this strange thing where the models in Q2 wrapped and twist.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone bought on Switch, and how is it?

Quake 1 got updated pretty early on to be a stellar experience on Switch and hoping the same is true here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Physical editions aren't really my thing but want to say mad respect to LRG for keeping the box design exactly the same.