• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KHlover

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is not what the other user was even talking about. A case is always recommended but not neccsssary for a handheld. Unless uou mean an actual fucking bag?

Also earphones? Is a TV an accessory for a console too? Someone get that crystal chronicles jpg please.

You seem unable to remove your own personal context to see why others have different experiences. The fact you need personal advise about using one ear phone is woeful.
215471989_GKZWD-2100x20000.jpg

;)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm aware of the solutions to my issues, but as I stated before it's kinda annoying that it's essential to spend additional cash to get the better (if not the only) way to play in handheld mode. The Switch is advertised without the accessories.
It's advertised without a TV/TV stand and WiFi etc too, and despite having a tabletop mode it doesn't come with a table. They are just things a customer is presumed to either have, find or splash out for if they want to use a games console in those modes. Same goes for headphones and a suitable case if you want to get the most out of a portable. If you've owned other portables before, they didn't come with a case and headphones either.

It's hybrid design makes including everything possibly needed for each mode in the case a bit prohibitive price-wise- I would have been perfectly happy if it didn't come with a dock which is a useless bit of plastic to me, but then home console gamers would be complaining that wasn't included either. I don't blame them for including it even when a pair of headphones/case would have been a better option for me, but having everything would have seen the price soar for accessories not everyone wants when they already decided to cover as many bases as possible and include two in the dock and joycon grip. You could equally argue that the Pro controller is a better option for those preferring home console mode than the included compromise that is the joycons and grip, but ultimately they decided that, if you want to focus on one particular way of playing, it's up to you to buy the accessories rather than make everyone pay for them.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a version of this thread that I would agree with. I have actually long agreed since handhelds have become true console substitutions (PSP + DS?) that I don't enjoy the experience of playing immersive audio-visual experiences in public. I still love playing games with beautiful visuals and music on a big TV. The experience of playing the same thing on a train with bright sunlight shining on the screen is dismal.

But the thread has kind of been derailed with the OP's sound comments. That's pretty much the one area that totally works on mobile. I can put my headphones on full blast in any public setting and feel great.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
There's a good argument to be made that the Switch is too big for traditional portable play (it will pretty much always lose out to a phone for quick plays) and that performance differences can sometimes be too much

But the OP kind of played himself by wanting to bolster his argument with the most clownshoes complaints so the good points were ruined by needing a laundry list

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Your sound complaint is kind of ridiculous, OP. Surely, surely, surely you have headphones. Don't you listen to music on your phone?

As for the unwieldiness of the thing, I'll agree it's marginally less convenient than the 3DS small (clamshell meant you didn't need a case, and you could throw it in a pocket). But putting on the joycons every time? How have you managed to find a case which doesn't fit the switch in handheld mode? I've never even seen one of those...

The point is, you've kind of gone out of your way to make it difficult for yourself. I'm sure it's not intentional, but man, get headphones, get ANY other case, and watch everything get better.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's a version of this thread that I would agree with. I have actually long agreed since handhelds have become true console substitutions (PSP + DS?) that I don't enjoy the experience of playing immersive audio-visual experiences in public. I still love playing games with beautiful visuals and music on a big TV. The experience of playing the same thing on a train with bright sunlight shining on the screen is dismal.

But the thread has kind of been derailed with the OP's sound comments. That's pretty much the one area that totally works on mobile. I can put my headphones on full blast in any public setting and feel great.
Depends what trains you travel on. My trains heading north and south in the UK are fine in terms of sunlight at rush hour, as is (obviously) the underground, whereas playing at home is distinctly sub-optimal for various reasons. Takes all sorts. That's what I like about the Switch, it can be used in whatever setup people prefer or that fits into their lifestyle- for me that's portable gaming or no gaming at all. It doesn't make much sense to tear into a hybrid for the modes that don't fit into your lifestyle as well as the others, or that require relatively cheap accessories to make the most of when you don't blink at the extra stuff required to make the most of playing at home. I spend a lot of time travelling and listening to music at work or on the commute so headphones is something I just see as a multi-purpose piece of kit.

Last edited:

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
All the things that you listed are common to handheld gaming in general, except the game's performance and Xenoblade not being its best in handheld mode is a pretty well known thing. The issue of having to detach and reattach the Joy-Cons is easily solved by using a case that fits the Switch with the Joy-Cons attached, i.e., practically any Switch case on the market?

Love it or hate it, the Switch does stir some pretty curious discussions, huh.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I can't imagine anyone around here using a Switch in public places. It would be robbed before the battery runs out. So, in my situation, I'd rarely have the need to play Switch games on the go.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The switches built in speakers are just as good if not better than my iPhone/iPad. True you get some earphones with an iPhone, so is the complaint here that Nintendo didn't bundle in some headphones? As in 'questioning the value of switch on the go because there's no headphones included'? Sorry man that's cray
Yeah, it's my bad that I got carried away a bit there. My original intention was that playing the Switch in undocked 'on the go' mode is an inferior experience compared to docked for me, and I couldn't relate to all the clamorings. There's also another factor that I'm kinda pissed that I bought the wrong traveling case and not the long one. It's basically that I chose the wrong title.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depends what trains you travel on. My trains heading north and south in the UK are fine in terms of sunlight, and playing at home distinctly sub-optimal for various reasons. Takes all sorts.
Well that makes sense, the UK doesn't have any sunlight....

(I'm in Vancouver so I can't cast stones lol)

But I see your point in your comment about your home being a lesser experience than what you'd get on the go. Maybe the train is superior for you in your living situation. For me, I have a home theatre that I have sovereignty over, so whatever distractions might be on a train are a lesser experience... but good point that not everyone is in my position. The great thing about the Switch is that we have choice.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well that makes sense, the UK doesn't have any sunlight....

(I'm in Vancouver so I can't cast stones lol)

But I see your point in your comment about your home being a lesser experience than what you'd get on the go. Maybe the train is superior for you in your living situation. For me, I have a home theatre that I have sovereignty over, so whatever distractions might be on a train are a lesser experience... but good point that not everyone is in my position. The great thing about the Switch is that we have choice.
Yeah, I agree entirely- I've got young children, the idea of a home cinema system with hours to play at home and indulge my hobbies is a distant memory! :D The commute is my 'me time' where I do most of my reading, gaming and watch TV.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
I agree so much with point 3. My hands go numb for some reason when I play with the Switch for like an hour. The 3DS and Vita are waaay more comfortable.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Yeah, it's my bad that I got carried away a bit there. My original intention was that playing the Switch in undocked 'on the go' mode is an inferior experience compared to docked for me, and I couldn't relate to all the clamorings. There's also another factor that I'm kinda pissed that I bought the wrong traveling case and not the long one. It's basically that I chose the wrong title.

Ah I get ya. Well I think the good news is things are gonna get better: a different case and a different game where docked/undocked performance is less different and switch might really open up for you

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Earphones and traveling bag.

Now your just bending over backwards to defend your original points.

Sorry OP, but your complaints sound pretty ridiculous.

How are these a "problem" exclusively on the Switch? Did you play your 3DS and Vita with the sound blasting off.
Do you hear loud music on your phone in public transport and don't you use any kind of protection case for it?

Next time you complain that you need a TV to play on a console?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I play it at work everyday. Sound is loud enough, obviously not as immersive as playing with headphones or a proper TV etc.

The joy con complaint is on you dude, you don't have to play it that way. Just use it like a 3DS or Vita and use the controls that way.

Your opinion is that it's not good for quick bursts, but conversely, I think it's such a good system for that, I'm often playing a couple of rooms on Celeste, putting it down, carrying on etc.

And this handheld has the unique advantage that no other has. I get home, slip it into a dock and that's it charging AND beaming up to the TV for full use.

It's a big bigger and more unwieldy than the other handheld systems, but that's about the only complaint. Trade off for that is a much nicer and bigger screen. For me that's worth holding my hands an extra inch or two wider.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's much bigger than Vita. Vita fit comfortably in my pocket. Switch does not.
Ya'll got some big ass pockets.

My 3DS, PSP and switch have to live in my backpack if I'm traveling with them. None of them have a truly portable form factor. Like, I don't imagine how women could carry any one of them around without the use of a large purse.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Being able to play in bed/on the treadmill/on the couch while my wife plays overwatch is invaluable.

It's the same reason why 90%+ of my ps4 playtime has been via my vita with remote play.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh. Honestly can't really agree with this tbh. Like someone else in here said, the point about comfort and the lack of pocketability is a fair one, but it's the price to be paid for such a large (and nice) screen. No other system would be as seamless in switching around from the same game, and while I do wish it was more pocketable, again, it's understandable as to why it would be that big and there are payoffs to making it so big and reducing the pocketability.

For point one, earphones would solve this, easily.

For two, yes it is on the go. Not sure where you found a case that can't accommodate the Joy-Cons attached, but many cases do so without an issue, and you do have the ability to take off the Joy-Cons which is flexibility no other portable has.

For three - yes it isn't as comfortable as other portables. I don't deny this.

For four - Eh. That's one game, and you've picked one of the worst portable ones out of all the ones available to make your judgments on the whole system. I also only have XC2 and do wish the lip syncing was better (fine with the framerates / performance tbh) but it's not enough to make a judgment on the portable experience the Switch provides.

If you're not a fan of portable gaming, that's fine: just put it in the dock and leave it there, but honestly the thread comes off as unnecessarily hyperbolic, without trying to make a balanced assessment.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why are you detaching the joycons in that situation? Sounds like the kind of time you need to have them on the system and holding it as you play.

You also need headphones if you're going to be using it in a noisy public place, come on. That's like saying your phone is rubbish for music because you can't hear music very loud in public places. You need headphones.

Also I got a padded travel case that you just unzip and put the Switch in then zip back up. Takes seconds. You'd make it much easier on yourself if you hadn't detached the joycons too.

I actually disagree with the poster above and the OP. The Switch is the contest handheld I've ever owned. I have big hands and the 3DS, the GBA and the PSP all gave me cramp. The Switch is actually comfy to hold for extended play sessions.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You should have wait a few more months for a patch for handheld Xeno 2

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
The flaw is there if you don't buy the supposedly optional accessories.

Thanks for the suggestion, this may be the fix for my sound issue.

Though the crowds noise would still hamper my gaming experience. I still prefer playing at home.
You dislike gaming on the go and blame the switch for not making you like it?

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally lost why OP decided to deattach the Joycons everytime he had to stop playing. Just leave them connected to the Switch wasn't an option? I figure OP bought a case that can't house both?

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Any portable experience that isn't built around using social interaction or AR features will almost always be inferior to a fixed experience.

This is why most handheld games have historically been viewed with the caveat of "...for a handheld game" appended to reviews and the like.

That said, the Switch offers the closest to a fixed home console experience on the go available at present, and a lot of the issues raised in the OP are easily avoided or just a part of portable gaming.

Headphones are essential for any aurally rich portable experience. I completely understand where the OP is coming from on this as there have been a multitude of times where I didn't play something on my Vita because I didn't have headphones. Hell, depending on the Vita game and how much I dig the music I might not play it because I don't have good enough headphones. Far less of an issue with 3DS generally, though a few games here and there warrant meaningful sound appreciation on that system as well. That said, this is a problem easily remedied by hardware anyone who is serious about portable gaming should already have.

The setup process is entirely self inflicted as well. A larger case is the obvious answer and they aren't particularly expensive.

neck strain is part of handheld gaming on any system, in some ways I find the Switch to reduce my neck strain as the larger form factor allows for easier view from distance.

And lastly performance is conditional to the game. Most games do just fine undocked.

I would also add that I don't see the portability aspect of the Switch to be directly comparable to the 3DS or Vita (or NDS and PSP before that). The market has spoken on that level of pick up and play gaming when the 3DS is just now reaching PSP lifetime hardware numbers and adding both the 3DS and Vita together aren't remotely in the same world of hardware sales as the NDS alone. Smartphones have devoured the quick play gaming market.

The Switch serves a different angle of portability though. Playing around the house when someone else is using the TV or in another room from the TV is an obvious application. Playing on flights, long public transit commutes, or extended delays between event A and event B (classes for college students as one example) is another. And while it might seem impractical at first glance the ability to set the screen up on a table top and have two player gaming on the go is actually a really good feature. I never figured I'd use it but when the wife and I were getting some work done on our car it worked quite well in the dealership's waiting area.

Those are the kinds of portable experiences the Switch is most focused on serving up. The traditional handheld role of 5-15 minute bursts simply doesn't have enough market viability to build a system around. The system still works ok for that but the real value in its portability comes through in the scenarios above.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bizarre thread. The OP's complaints all have such wildly simple and obvious solutions that it makes me question why they even posted this.

1. Sound
Headphones. NOBODY should be using any kind of media / entertainment device in public without using headphones. It's annoying on laptops, phones, tablets and handhelds. They don't advertise iPhones with accessories either but people don't complain that the sound quality on them isn't good enough to be able to listen to music easily on a train. Seriously, this is a mad complaint.

2. Detaching joycon issues
Just don't detach the joycons? Seriously tabletop mode is great, but the core handheld experience on Switch is with the joycons attached. Just get a case which can hold the Switch with the JCs attached - which is most of them - and bingo. The joy of the Switch is that you can use it in so many ways. I use it docked at home, in handheld when I'm travelling / away and in bed and in tabletop when I'm away but have access to a chair and convenient table.

3. Switch is heavy for a handheld
It's no heavier than an iPad with a protective case on is it?

4. Performance
You simply chose the wrong game for portable play. No arguments here - XBC2 does not run well enough in portable mode. However plenty of other games do. Just like plenty of games don't run very well on PS4 / Xbox One either.

It just sounds like the OP doesn't really like handheld gaming.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
OP... I was waiting for your Xenoblade 2 impression thread in the steam thread, did not expect you to put out these arguments...

Anyway, I will only reply to the last point regarding the game run badly. Yes, Xenoblade 2 is the game which is long criticised for its bad performance on Switch. Playing it in handheld mode is a complete waste as I find it to be one of the best JRPG in recent years. On the other hand, many Switch titles such as Zelda run fine in handheld mode. I was blown away by Zelda on Day 1 (bought the hardware on launch day) as I couldn't believe I am playing a AAA game on the go. I am still amazed by the performance even today.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
It's going to be a case by case thing. Just being able to play the Switch during breaks at work has made my brother obsessed with the Switch. It's how he clocked over 200 hours in Breath of the Wild and and it's why he constantly gushes about Celeste despite being somewhat new to the "tough as nails" 2D platformer genre.

The Switch's versatility is certainly what makes it special but YMMV.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Ya'll got some big ass pockets.

My 3DS, PSP and switch have to live in my backpack if I'm traveling with them. None of them have a truly portable form factor. Like, I don't imagine how women could carry any one of them around without the use of a large purse.
You're the one with small pockets if you can't fit a 3ds or psp in them

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
i use it on the train daily. yes games performance is not the same as docked it is to be expected. I used over the ear headphones and they block out most of the noises.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, you don't like to play it on portable mode.

Lucky for you there's an awesome docked mode. Enjoy it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
90% of normal pants don't have pockets that can fit a Vita or 3DS in them comfortably. Even if they should walking around with a bulge that size is ridiculous.

Guess I don't have normal pants then because I can put my psp on all of them, even my working ones

Looking ridiculous or not is besides the point

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
I would appreciate a Switch mini that had the 3DS form factor, even if it meant foregoing the joypads

it'd be ok if it was a little fatter to accomplish this, but right now the system isn't as portable as the DS and 3DS were

I still carry it around but it is no longer something I can play in the subway

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I rather bring my 3ds out if I'm taking a handheld out, i mean it fits in my pocket and I don't have to worry about the screen getting scratched

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the case in question:

eTKIPl.jpg

Oh, I will. I'm loving it outside the pandering. I'm not sure if posting in the Steam thread is appropriate though.
So you bought a case for your switch without thinking about what you need it for or which case would meet your needs best and now you complain that you purchased the wrong accessoiries to fully enjoy switch on the go?

At the same time you refuse to use accessoiries you already have at your disposal to improve your portable experience such as earbuds...

I mean there might be reasonable critique somewhere behind these thoughts, but such arguments ruin it.

At the same time I wonder: Do you really sit in public and play with sound? https://www.resetera.com/threads/bad-public-smartphone-etiquette.18557/

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Am not rich so a nearly £300 console plus £50 games are not about to be taken out of the house, with potential to lose or break it, thats what my 3DS is for.

so I feel like I cant compare fairly but the only niggle I find in handheld mode is my hands ache cos they are small, but I have bought gel joy con grips in the hope to solve that problem

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Locket is a counter.

I've had an NDS and Vita before, it's not like this is my first time using a handheld system.
Judging from your complaints, it kinda of sounds like it is dude.

I mean, if you are expecting an experience as good as playing in the confort of your home, of course you will be disappointed.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean Xenoblade 2 is probably the worst docked to undocked game on the Switch. Buy headphones. Just get a carry case so you can quickly throw it in the bag to move. Play other games.

Like it sounds like you want this for short bursts, it doesn't sound like you want to play a story intensive game. Get something like Gungeon or something that can be played in short intervals.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
- I can barely hear anything
Like in any public place, there are lots of people and noise around me, and I'm not that comfortable maxing out the sound in such situation. Playing games with no sound is an immensely inferior experience for me. I had to rewatch the cutscenes I watched there on my TV earlier.

- It's not exactly on the go
The whole process today consisted of moving from one locket to the next one, so I had to pull out and put my Switch to my bag multiple times. Unlike 3DS or Vita which you can simply pull out of your bag and play, I needed additional steps to play my Switch each time, namely attaching and deattaching the joycons as well as putting them in the bag. It's quite a hassle and kinda put me into panic when I get called to the locket.

- It's not comfortable
My neck hurt and I didn't even play for that long. The longest session was around 30 minutes because I had to move to another locket, and it's already not comfortable. I kept changing my position but couldn't find the perfect one. The Switch is also rather heavy for a handheld.

- It runs badly
Unlike the seemingly general consensus, I have no issue with the visuals of the game in undocked mode. But the framerates, man. It slows down a lot in both exploration and combat. This is maybe my least important issue compared to the previous ones, but it's still annoying and made the whole experience inferior.
  1. Buy some headphones, playing sound in public is annoying anyway
  2. that's a you problem, my case allows me to pull my switch out, joy cons attached, literally in about 5 seconds
  3. there's more than one way to play portable, it has a stand, detach the joy cons or buy a pro controller and use it on a table
  4. That varies game to game, most are actually great in portable, XB2 is notorious for undocked performance
TL:DR version:

Stop whining about problems that can be rectified with basic level googling ffs