ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I just had a random urge to play the original Kingdom Hearts.

And I forgot that I would be asked the mind-numbing question of which damn piece of equipment to pick and drop.

Help me, Era. Which one should I pick up? Which should I drop? And why?

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry about it, pick the one your heart desires!

(Staff because wizards are bomb, drop shield because shields are Goofy)

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Grab Shield drop Sword for skill reasons (really depends on difficulty and what you're going for in your run)

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Staff =D

IIRC Staff is the only choice that gives you an extra something... overall, but I forgot what it was about.

I suggest going staff, rough time at first, but strongest by the end.

brotz

Oct 27, 2017
go staff if you're good, shield if you want an easier time, but always drop sword

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
If you're a beginner: pick shield, drop sword. You'll receive good skills like Second Chance early.
If you're an expert: pick staff, drop sword. You'll have 1 extra MP that you cannot gain any other way which increases your magic power and gives you an extra cast.

Always drop sword.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Proud mode basically required you to grab shield drop sword because of the skills you need so early on that are crucial for an easier time.

It's overall a good beginner and veteran move to grab shield and drop sword

If you want advice on what to choose regarding abilities, that's completely your own personal decision. No matter what, you'll always have the same abilities by the time you reach level 100. As for stats, the choice should be between choosing the shield and staff. If you choose the shield, you will have 2 more item slots by level 100, whereas with the staff, you will have 2 extra MP. (The sword gives you more strength, but that's not necessarily important as you can easily get a Strength boost item and get maximum strength either way). However, of course, the ultimate choice is up to you.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Take staff for the extra MP. Shield is the second best option, but only if you're seriously worried about dying. Always drop sword.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pick up Shield, drop Sword. This will allow you to have the most item slots, something all the other combinations won't allow. You can make up any of the stat differences synthesizing stat boosters.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm leaning towards shield as I've never been too big on magic. Sounds like either way, sword is the one to drop.

But now I had completely forgotten about dawn / dusk / midday. Dusk, I think?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm leaning towards shield as I've never been too big on magic. Sounds like either way, sword is the one to drop.

But now I had completely forgotten about dawn / dusk / midday. Dusk, I think?

Tidus, Wakka, and Selphie will each ask you one question, with three responses available per question - the answers you give affect the rate at which Sora will level up throughout the game. If you choose the first options, your journey will begin at dawn; Sora will level up "fast" from levels 1 to 50 but will level up "slow" from levels 51 to 99. If you choose the middle options you will begin at midday, meaning you will level up at a consistent pace all the way. If you choose the third options Sora will begin his journey at midnight, meaning he will level up slowly from levels 1 to 50 but quickly from levels 51 to 99.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomHea...is_there_a_table_of_xp_needed_for_each_level/

Dusk is usually the good choice to pick since early levels have such low xp requirements anyways....but look at the difference in overall xp by the end, its insane.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I followed online advice during my recent replay and dropped sword. Had a lovely time taking twice as long killing everything remotely strong, the fucking behemoths in the final world were particularly entertaining, I'm telling you.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I followed online advice during my recent replay and dropped sword. Had a lovely time taking twice as long killing everything remotely strong, the fucking behemoths in the final world were particularly entertaining, I'm telling you.

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like you may have hit the final world at a lower level?

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Grab Staff, drop Sword, go at Dusk.

Beginner or no, this is pretty much the best way to tackle the game. You simply cannot replace those two extra magic points, and being able to (ab)use Aero longer is always a plus. (Except when fighting the Ice Titan. Never use Aero on that fight.)

If you're worried about not getting Second Chance until Lvl 90, use the Zero EXP, which works like Second Chance anyway. LOL

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not completely sure but I just assumed it was the lower STR. It wasn't even that they were hard, but I did too little damage, it was noticeably bad against Cerberus, Jafar and Ursula too... Then I watched my sister play the game for the first time, she picked sword and effectively killed all those bosses in half my time, I dunno, maybe the difference wasn't that big and I'm just impatient, but I'm dropping shield from now on.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not completely sure but I just assumed it was the lower STR. It wasn't even that they were hard, but I did too little damage, it was noticeably bad against Cerberus, Jafar and Ursula too... Then I watched my sister play the game for the first time, she picked sword and effectively killed all those bosses in half my time, I dunno, maybe the difference wasn't that big and I'm just impatient, but I'm dropping shield from now on.

I think you're overestimating the sword. It gives you like, one or two extra points of strength, but that's not nearly as important as abilities like dodge roll, guard, and second chance, and it's not as important as having more magic. There are items in the game too that raise strength so it's kind of a waste to go with the sword.

Oct 27, 2017
Always drop Sword. The strength boost is negligible and can be covered with stat boosts. What you get from Staff or Shield can not be made up for by Sword.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
For optimal play pick Staff. Extra MP. Drop sword because the damage increase won't matter much in the end.

Really just never pick sword unless you really want the early abilities it gets. Shield if you want second chance and stuff early.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Pick up shield. Fuck the usual offense-oriented heroes. Captain America that shit. Drop... Well, it depends if you want to use magic a lot, I guess? Just pick up shield.

Also, good luck with that godforsaken camera.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pick the shield, Second Chance is a must If you're playing on proud.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Shield. Want them Once more and Second chance quick. That is if you're playing on Proud.

Otherwise just pick whatever you feel like. Staff give you one extra MP bar so that's nice.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I take shield and drop sword because I always want to learn Guard as soon as possible in that game.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
*Raises hand* This is Off yet on topic.

How was this supposed to be obviously related to Kingdom Hearts? The thread title before going in that is.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How was this supposed to be obviously related to Kingdom Hearts? The thread title before going in that is.

It's a decision you have to make at the start of Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, both games that have been played by millions of people. Chances are the posters here would recognize it.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

It's like if the thread title was "Should I pick Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle? (Pokémon obviously)
Maybe those completely unfamiliar with the game might not understand but if you've played the game you'd know because it's a memorable moment.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the explanation. Somehow to this day I never played much of KH so I was just wondering why.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Aero and Gravity absolutely murder Behemoths. Stop as well.