• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was planning to change mine to a sad Daisy reading that Uncle amiibo in Odyssey recognises her but doesn't bother to give a costume.

X3khOd2.gif

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
I didn't even know this was briefly a thing here. Missed it.

I might have made my avatar raise his claws or wink or something. Oh well. I guess it makes sense that it might ruin the experience for non-members because they'd be unable to turn the animations off.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Kinda bummed they squashed the poll thread like that without letting the discussion continue. I hope they think about letting people have an option. If they could explain a definitive technical reason I'd be down, but they could even make it something off by default, and on for those who wanted it (if it could be designed that way).

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised given that community was more toward not having animated avatars. Probably in future maybe.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
We didn't even get to see girllooksupatcameraandthensmilesatcoachellawhenbeinginterviewedforalatenighshowwhichithinkwasconanbutimightberememberingwrongalsoshehadlikeahippieflowercrownorsomethingyeahilikethatone.gif

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Wow, that was fast. Everything is lightning fast on ResetEra.

Probably for the best though. They divert one's attention away far too often. I know some of them were (or still are) iconic to specific members. I was actually surprised to see them in the first place the other day.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
They should allow them, but before you upload it, you must present it to the Gif Avatar Approval Committee. They will decide whether your animated avatar is up to scratch or not.

MASTER MENACE

Oct 25, 2017
In A State Of Trance
Why can't there be a user option to disable animated avatars. You can please everyone by having the user upload 2 avatars, 1 animated and 1 non-animated avatar. The one that shows is up to the user settings for every individual. No one loses.

GeeDuhb

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They are fun at first, but when everyone starts using them they become annoying real fast and with 50 posts per page, the data/load times also start to take a hit when there are a lot of them, especially on mobile.

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, it would be nice if there was a site option to enable or disable the viewing of animated avatars, so people who want the experience of seeing animated avatars can have that experience if they choose to, but the default option should be disabled.

Maybe that makes policing bad avatars difficult though.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't there be a user option to disable animated avatars. You can please everyone by having the user upload 2 avatars, 1 animated and 1 non-animated avatar. The one that shows is up to the user settings for every individual. No one loses.
Because that would require someone to work out how to code all that.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Good.
I'm old, I can't process all this shit.

Also I don't think there are any Kabukiman gifs that I could use and I dont know how to create those myself.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why they're banned but the reason used is eh

''they're distracting'' Really? It's not that hard to ignore an avatar, and you can just ban those super flashy ones that were made to troll. Oh well

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
We didn't ever have them here, did we? And we didn't have them for years at our old home...

Status
Not open for further replies.