ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
0*uk0r5BNTrCjIxFhK.JPG
0*-Msu5BEQGrABOT6B.JPG

More examples are in the links below:

This week, Black Twitter has been having a heated conversation about a phenomenon that's been hiding in plain sight on the internet for a while now: blackface thots.

What are blackface thots? They are regular thots — to clarify, "thot" is not being used in a derogatory sense here; I love thots — but with an extra side of racism. And they are everywhere.

Twitter users @WannasWorld and @yeahboutella (who, to clarify, did not coin and disapprove of the term "blackface thot") began the conversation earlier this week with threads calling out white women online darkening their skin to look black or racially ambiguous.

While several of these influencers have been doing this for years at this point, in the last few months people on the internet have been documenting these in tweets and other ways in mass. And while the girls and women doing this do not technically identify as black the same way Rachel Dolezal did, they are still appropriating black culture and reaping the rewards of deals such as free items and endorsements.

BuzzFeed reached out to Emma Hallberg and she responded:
Hallberg told BuzzFeed News the accusations have distressed and confused her.

"It made me sad that some of my natural features are hurting and upsetting people. It also made me upset and scared that I can't look the way I look naturally, without receiving false accusations, hate, and threats," she said.

"I do not have any specific intentions other than [to] show my passion for makeup and fashion."
Looking at her Instagram, you can see that a lot of the clothing, accessories, and hairstyles she has in the pictures are more associated with African American women than Sweedish white women. That holds true for many of the women discussed in the articles and tweets.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy SHIT

I think its interesting culture has shifted so much that black features are the "ideal" in culture but...holy shot at this. That first image.

Wonder if their is a male equlivent.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like to be hated so much by a group of people that wants all that you have, that make you who you are.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And how is THOT not being used in a derogatory manner here?

Respectfully wearing clothing associated with other cultures I'm fine with, literal blackface is a no no.

Deleted member 49757

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 19, 2018
I hope their employers catch wind of this. Disgusting.

How about no, doxxing people and making them lose their jobs and livelihoods because of shit like this is wrong, they didn't kill anyone, hurt anyone, or do anything illegal. Your moral compass no matter how correct it might be cannot be used to hurt other people based on shit like this.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I saw something about this last week and some "influencers" darkening their skin tone for whatever reason, I kind of stopped reading. I think the subject was from Sweden or Switzerland or some shit.

EDIT: Yeah, it was about the woman there on the left.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This may be an ignorant question but here we go. Where do we draw the line on cultural appropriation? To be honest all fashion comes from black people (in American at least). Nobody seems to be upset when literally every other race steals their fashion tends. Cultural appropriation is not a concept I really understand.

Now, blackface, I understand.

HarshSalad

Alt-account
Nov 26, 2018
Still, blackface hasn't been taboo for that long.

I'm assuming these girls live out in the sticks and still find Dan Aykroyd's blackface hilarious.

HarshSalad

Alt-account
Nov 26, 2018
How about no, doxxing people and making them lose their jobs and livelihoods because of shit like this is wrong, they didn't kill anyone, hurt anyone, or do anything illegal. Your moral compass no matter how correct it might be cannot be used to hurt other people based on shit like this.

Yeah, perpetrating stereotypes hurts no one. Give me a break. The only way these racists learn is when you shame them.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Good makeup I guess. They should maybe apply that skill and just leave out the whole blackface thing. Weirdos.

Deleted member 49757

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Yeah, perpetrating stereotypes hurts no one. Give me a break. The only way these racists learn is when you shame them.

I ain't going against what you're saying, I agree even, I'm just saying that doxxing her and finding her employer to make him fire her is immoral in this particular situation. There are ways to shame her and change her mind without getting her fired and socially ostracized from her real life circles.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This may be an ignorant question but here we go. Where do we draw the line on cultural appropriation? To be honest all fashion comes from black people (in American at least). Nobody seems to be upset when literally every other race steals their fashion tends. Cultural appropriation is not a concept I really understand.

Now, blackface, I understand.

Building on this, would African Americans in this thread say that there's a difference in a New York-influencer and a Danish influencer doing this?

Not even actual blackface has permeated as being unacceptable in large parts of the world outside the US, so this feels even more in a "well we don't know your history of it"-area.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insta was a mistake.

-Insert obligatory Paul Mooney quote here

Building on this, would African Americans in this thread say that there's a difference in a New York-influencer and a Danish influencer doing this?

Not even actual blackface has permeated as being unacceptable in large parts of the world outside the US, so this feels even more in a "well we don't know your history of it"-area.
Come on now. People know enough to know that trying to co-opt a persons skin color is wrong.

Don't need minstrel shows to know that this:
Dg8fTHgVQAAilod.jpg

Ain't cool.

HarshSalad

Alt-account
Nov 26, 2018
I ain't going against what you're saying, I agree even, I'm just saying that doxxing her and finding her employer to make him fire her is immoral in this particular situation. There are ways to shame her and change her mind without getting her fired and socially ostracized from her real life circles.

What would you do? Wag your finger at them? These people don't give a fuck. We're at the point where fucking BLACKFACE is back. What else can we do?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
so the key to instagram is either smear brown vaseline on your face or dress up like an it's always sunny caricature?