• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Semi-related because it doesn't seem that'd what they sued over. But isnt there law in the US against photographing minors without permission?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Can you really blame people for getting pissed that some racist piece of shit kid is now going to be set for life over this mess while we have stories flooding the front page right now of all the terrible things that are about to happen with the $600 unemployment ending and the eviction moratorium ending? It's fucking bullshit
I literally wrote further down below that I completely agree with people being angry about the absurdity and injustice of the situation.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't have caved. This will only reinforce his shitty behavior and unfortunately I wouldn't be too surprised if we haven't heard the last of him.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
They shouldn't have caved. This will only reinforce his shitty behavior and unfortunately I wouldn't be too surprised if we haven't heard the last of him.

This.

The kid should have been thrown into prison for life, not getting paid a settlement from CNN. What the fuck is happening? Racist white supremacists are getting pay outs for being evil Nazi scum??

*smh* Stop the world because I want to get off. I'm done with humanity.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The kid should have been thrown into prison for life, not getting paid a settlement from CNN. What the fuck is happening? Racist white supremacists are getting pay outs for being evil Nazi scum??
You are confirming why he is getting paid with your reaction. What is the action for which he should get prison?

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You are confirming why he is getting paid with your reaction. What is the action for which he should get prison?

Being a racist, MAGA, POS is good enough for me. I'm so sick of racists and bigots in general being portrayed as victims here. This kid knew what he was doing and has been rewarded for it. Scum like that should rot in jail.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Being a racist, MAGA, POS is good enough for me. I'm so sick of racists and bigots in general being portrayed as victims here. This kid knew what he was doing and has been rewarded for it. Scum like that should rot in jail.
And for the moment, that is still protected under the first amendment so it is not going to happen. Why not aim the outrage at the people that organized an anti-abortion march? As in, why is a school participating in this?

they best not see any tourist pictures around famous landmarks!
There is a difference between allowed to take a picture, publish it for private purposes (like Facebook) and publish it for commercial purposes. And of course, if people are easily identifiable or not. Like in this case, it was published for commercial purposes and focused on one person. Tourist pictures don't focus on unknown people.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Settling is usually a result of financial issues in persuing the case to verdict.. Just because a case doesn't get outright thrown out doesn't mean the plaintiff would win. It's a pointless thing to extrapolate from. Go look up SLAPP lawsuits if you're so convinced that having a case not outright thrown out lends some sort of credence whatsoever.

These were massive companies that had no pressure to settle and easily could have gone to trial so what you're saying is incorrect.

This.

Prison for life for disagreeing with you seems rather draconian.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These were massive companies that had no pressure to settle and easily could have gone to trial so what you're saying is incorrect.

Prison for life for disagreeing with you seems rather draconian.
The cost of a trial, in real dollars (legal fees) and intangible costs (exposure, any potential for bad PR), is often greater than what these settlements are for.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If ever there was a moment where I wished someone had a bully, this is it.

He is the bully, that entire school is filled with bullies! It is part of the entire culture! They raise people to be self absorbed arrogant bullies! There are so many scandals from that school, and the amouunt of harassment (Sexual as well) that it's insane how ANY parent would send their kids there. I guess it's a "legacy" thing, and that almost all get a scholarship into a college as well :(.

Maddening.

I also find it aggravating how the alumni of that school and the right act like victims and go "they did nothing wrong normal teenage behavior! Those are rambunctious. As you know the moment we are talking about black teens doing that, they'll go "OMG SUCH CRIMINALS!". Even on this forum you see people falling for that line, when any other minority or social class (especially those of color) would have been dragged through the mud!

And let's not act like this is a first, that school is known for being racist fuckheads with their "famous cheer squad!" that they also claimed was what they did here. They also got permission to do this "cheer", so it is far from just this Nick fella, there were teachers that allowed this and instigated it.

This is a school for bullies! And bullies will do anything to get away from consequences and then blame their victims for it on top of it. From "they were asking for it" until :"We are the victim, as the guy was banging a drum in my face" (when really he was walking back and forth drumming and this Nick fella stepped closer every time.

Trigger warning: Blackface
eu.cincinnati.com

Chants, cheers and the question of insensitivity: The culture of CovCath

Past students at Covington Catholic painted their faces and bodies black for sporting events. Alumni point to school spirit. Others were made uncomfortable.
www.snopes.com

Is This Picture from a Covington Catholic High School Basketball Game?

Covington Catholic’s students have a history of donning black body paint during their “black out” basketball games.

That part about "Village people night" or "Black out night!" (as they knew Black Night would be too obvious of course), is such huge appropriation and hateful. Making people of color and the LGBTQ+ community not just into caricatures but being hateful fucks in their chants. (Trigger Warning, some of the photos can be ... really offensive. Think 1930's racist blackface, and you wonder why the referee didn't stop this game! I'd have stopped it!)

But rather than to focus on the actual article, I'm sure people in this thread will go to defend this school and these students. When the behaviour is really poisonous and a big problem that should be dealth with.

Last edited:

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not to mention the kid didn't do anything. Having stupid smirk on your face isn't crime.
Oh trust me he did plenty. If he were black and the other fella was a "MAGAHAT" he'd be shot, in jail, or financially ruined by the media. Do I think he should be i Prison? No. But do I think he didn't do anything? OOH HELL NOW!

That cheer time for instance trains on being right on the line of what is acceptable and often goes past it. And the way that crowd and him as a face of it acted was just..... awful. He could just have taken a step back seeing an old man approach, or just let him pass. He became the face of this crowd willingly, as he was proud of their behavior.

Now should his teacher/adult responsible have stopped this? And are they far more responsible for this crap? OH HELL YES!

But ANYBODY that has been on the other end of discrimination knows that this "stupid smirk" as you call it... is one you grow to hate. It is very recognizable of those knowing they are trying to harm you or hurt you.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Oh trust me he did plenty. If he were black and the other fella was a "MAGAHAT" he'd be shot, in jail, or financially ruined by the media. Do I think he should be i Prison? No. But do I think he didn't do anything? OOH HELL NOW!

That cheer time for instance trains on being right on the line of what is acceptable and often goes past it. And the way that crowd and him as a face of it acted was just..... awful. He could just have taken a step back seeing an old man approach, or just let him pass. He became the face of this crowd willingly, as he was proud of their behavior.

Now should his teacher/adult responsible have stopped this? And are they far more responsible for this crap? OH HELL YES!

But ANYBODY that has been on the other end of discrimination knows that this "stupid smirk" as you call it... is one you grow to hate. It is very recognizable of those knowing they are trying to harm you or hurt you.
I was speaking strickly legal sense, since some people were talking about prison time.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Jesus H. Christ

Dude deserves mockery and no money, not to decompose in a cell.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus some of you posters are insane. He's an asshat that didn't deserve any money but some of you are out for blood.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
Is it wrong to wish something bad to happen to this ass? Like an accident that leaves him paralyzed or something? I feel bad for thinking it, I hate what politics has done to me, making me think evil thoughts, but I wish something bad would happen to him and it makes me feel bad.

Yes it's wrong. The fact you had to ask that question is very serious...

Just because he's not a good person doesn't mean you should wish paralysis on them

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
This.

One of the stupidest things I've read here, kid deserves no money and to be ridiculed , but going to prison for smirking?...

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
The news companies are settling because they were wrong and misrepresented the entire interaction. From the longer video you can see that the Native American fellow walks up to the MAGA kid when initially it was spun as the opposite.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This.

The kid is a racist piece of shit, but prison for life is a laughable thing to say. You can't send people to jail for life because they are assholes.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
The news companies are settling because they were wrong and misrepresented the entire interaction. From the longer video you can see that the Native American fellow walks up to the MAGA kid when initially it was spun as the opposite.
If you read the twitter thread posted here you'll see that their reporting didn't do anything legally wrong. Except on three accounts but even in thoses cases the MAGA kid had to prove the papers were knowingly reporting "false" information.

They probably paid because it was still bad PR. And there is some ethical questions that can be brought up. But legally, WAPO probably would have won the case, had they continued.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
How hard is it to just side with the powerless person? Who cares how it started.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
How hard is it to just side with the powerless person? Who cares how it started.

I understand where you are coming from, but CNN and others quickly put out a story that defamed the kid. Was he an asshole for buying a MAGA hat? Yes. However, he didn't walk up to anyone they came to him.
We should all care how the news is actually reported otherwise when someone you like is on the receiving end we would want them to be treated fairly.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was speaking strickly legal sense, since some people were talking about prison time.
OH yeah, like said I don't think Prison is at all realistic (and shouldn't be our goal, we should get people OUT of prison not into it). But I do think that school is very vile in what morals they teach their students, and I hold the caretakers/teachers/adults in charge very much responsible for what happened that day.

Any other school, that has a working faculty at least, would have told their students to "BEHAVE!", as it is very toxic behavior.

I just wished to point out that it might be that for some here that smirk is a known one. And that they thus might react strongly to it.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Prison for life for something he did at age 16. Come on now.
... And he didn't even do anything beside stand there and smirk. He's a POS for donning a MAGA hat, but c'mon people.

We should all care about facts. The Native American activist didn't do anything wrong, but neither did the kid when all he did was stand there and smirk. I get that the optics are upsetting, but that's no excuse to throw all logic out the window.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
They selectively edited video?
Did you know Black Hebrew Israelites were shouting things like "Before you started worshiping totem poles, you was worshiping the true and living God. Before you became an idol worshiper, you was worshiping the true and living God. This is the reason why this land was taken away from you! Because you worship everything except the most high. You worship every creation except the Creator—and that's what we are here to tell you to do." at Native Americans prior to the infamous picture of the Covington kid smirking at the Native American protester?

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far in this thread we've had someone wish he was paralysed for life, and another person say he deserves life imprisonment for being a Trump supporter. Like, literal rapists and murderers don't get life prison sentences in many instances but this dumb kid should be put in prison for life.

Principles are not principles if you throw them away because they may benefit someone not on your side, or disadvantage someone on your side.

Blame the media for their crappy reporting which allowed this kid (I repeat, he's a 16 year old) to make some money off it.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you know Black Hebrew Israelites were shouting things like "Before you started worshiping totem poles, you was worshiping the true and living God. Before you became an idol worshiper, you was worshiping the true and living God. This is the reason why this land was taken away from you! Because you worship everything except the most high. You worship every creation except the Creator—and that's what we are here to tell you to do." at Native Americans prior to the infamous picture of the Covington kid smirking at the Native American protester?
Did you mean to reply to somebody else?

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
So you're fine with how the media handled this? How they misinterpreted facts and selectivitly edited video in order to defame a 16 year old?
They selectively edited video?

yeah from what i heard , the entire situation was mischaracterized quite a bit, the kid might be an asshat but it didn't play out how the event played out

Oct 25, 2017
Don't quote me unless you're going to answer my question. The person I quoted said the media selectively edited videos which implies they intended to deceive. Is that the case or was it just a failure by them to exercise due diligence?

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Man. This thread is a great example why people shit on this site. Kids a fuck but what the reporters did to him is wrong.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Don't quote me unless you're going to answer my question. The person I quoted said the media selectively edited videos which implies they intended to deceive. Is that the case or was it just a failure by them to exercise due diligence?
Media outlets promoting sensationalism isn't exactly a shocking development, so I'm not sure where you're coming from.

The media plastered this kid's face all over the news because they knew exactly what kind of reaction the optics of a White teenager wearing a MAGA hat smugly smirking at a Native American would elicit. I should know, because I felt outraged and disgusted the first time I saw it.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Man. This thread is a great example why people shit on this site. Kids a fuck but what the reporters did to him is wrong.
Yeah, it was kinda failure of basic journalism. First of all, I question the news value of the said clip. Maybe a story for local news paper but for national outlets?
Second, many outlets only only interviewd Nathan Phillips not any other onlookers or the MAGA kids. Had they done their job and asked follow up questions, this all could have been avoided. Instead they gave gasoline for the fake news grifters.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
I hate trump and maga hats as much as the next guy but the media definitely defamed this kid. They plastered his "smug" face all over knowing the reaction they'd get. From what I recall from his side of the story, he didn't really do anything wrong. Also, he was 16 ffs.