• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predictions

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 90-94

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • 85-89

Votes: 89 16.8%
  • 81-84

Votes: 216 40.8%
  • Below 81

Votes: 208 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't talking about personal judgment of review scores. A game not near the top can mean "trash" to people; that doesn't mean the actual reviews correlate with those personal feelings.

You're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that there is some kind of objective review scaling, one person's trash is another's gold, beauty eye behold, yadda.

Having a scale where 7-8 is good or average is just as valid as having that be trash because it all comes down to perspective. In fact, though I profess not to care about review scores and try not to, I cannot deny the fact that when a game comes out that i am interested in and sits at 72 instead if 92, i am waaaaaaaaay less likely to buy it for more than $10. Irrational and hypocritical I am.

Deleted member 12100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had really high hopes after watching that 18 minute preview that came out a while ago, now I'm seriously waffling. I may still pick it up and keep an eye on the refund timer if the hooks aren't digging in.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they have a good launch, but waiting is understandable, most of all with Bethesda (non-Elder Scrolls) in the mix. Doom was a critical success and still got discounted to a third of its price after a month. I can't imagine RAGE's fate being any different.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Yo so where are my Far Cry comparisons? I mean the combat looks awesome, and some of that "?" clearing really reminds me of the Ubisoft methods for Far Cry. I mean I've been playing a lot of FC5 and again, I don't think any of the characters are really memorable but the world is a fun mindless grind to explore.

This combat looks insanely frenetic and I couldn't really care about what the narrative is trying to provide - it sounds like they could've done a better job for sure on that front but I'm ready to wander the different wasteland biomes, kill everything with super powers and collect mindless shit. The open world filler in shooter games like this I actually really enjoy - the driving, the flying to another outpost, the ease and freedom to explore how you choose even if it doesn't feel meaningful to most.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that there is some kind of objective review scaling, one person's trash is another's gold, beauty eye behold, yadda.

Having a scale where 7-8 is good or average is just as valid as having that be trash because it all comes down to perspective. In fact, though I profess not to care about review scores and try not to, I cannot deny the fact that when a game comes out that i am interested in and sits at 72 instead if 92, i am waaaaaaaaay less likely to buy it for more than $10. Irrational and hypocritical I am.
Huh, where did you get I was talking about some kind of objective review scale? That's an impossibility.

Oct 25, 2017

Rage 2 has some neat ideas and a good shotgun but I wish the action was a little more wild. It's very straightforward and not as over-the-top as the trailers made it look. Open-world feels very empty, too.

Interesting take. I'm not sure if the marketing should be applauded or criticized...

Rage 2's combat feels good. World feels quite empty. Characters I've encountered so far felt very forgettable. It's a very good podcast game. Arigato for your time.

Welp, I guess this has a place in my library

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm ok with that but there are a bunch of different rental services and some stores offering almost full credit within 15 to 30 days after buying big games, so wasting 60$USD on a game sounds like a strange concept to me honestly.
Not everyone lives in the US. I live in The Netherlands and here we don't have any game rental service whatsoever. You might be able to pick up a handful of games at your local library, which you need a membership for and they only have old games. Last time I checked here the only PS4 game they had was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5. Also; not a single store that sells games offers a refund here. As soon as you take off the wrapper, not a single store will take it back. You can sell it to Game Mania, the biggest videogame retailer in the country, who usually offers ~50% of the used price, which is €50 for a new game, /2 = €25, which means you'd only get €25, maybe €30 back on your €60 purchase if you're lucky.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Between this and Day's Gone, this has been a disappointing month or so.

It seems Days Gone may be better than the reviews say, so I am thinking about giving it a shot, and hopefully, that is the case here.

The game, despite the try-hardness, really looked like a great formula. Blending Doom/BulletStorm gunplay in a post-apocalyptic open world. Borderlands meets Mad Max meets Doom/BulletStorm.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I guess id is responsible for the shooting and Avalanche the open world/story?

Still gonna get but I never purchase games for above $40 anyway. So I'm waiting a few months.

Wanchop

Oct 26, 2017
Malta
I loved Mad Max but absolutely hated the entire Just Cause series, will i like this game? I am also a fan of Doom 2016 btw.
I hate everything about just cause and am really enjoying rage 2. I also dislike mad max, for what it's worth - for all the talk of the world being empty in rage 2, I feel it's miles ahead of avalanche's previous efforts (which admittedly still isn't a high bar)

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who really loves post-apocalyptic fiction, it's a shame the worldbuilding and the story seem to be afterthoughts.

Was looking forward to this, but may wait for a sale.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Pretty good reviews, but what I've been reading has still dampened my excitement. Rage was one of my favourite games, but this one sounds quite short and like it isn't as good.

My copy got delayed, and if the last game I ordered (thankfully this is the final one) is any indication it'll be 1-2 weeks late, so I'll effectively rent it for a week, try to beat it then and see how I feel by the time my discounted copy arrives.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping this was going to be fury road the game. Doesn't look like it. Bummer

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I was never coming to this game for a story, so if I can get essentially Mad Max levels of DOOM gameplay, then I'll be quite happy.

Seems the general consensus is how the gameplay feels good, I should be set.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
definitely going to get the game eventually but will wait for a deep sale
hate it if a dev decides to make a game open world but then the open world turns out to be dull

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
So it's DOOM 2016 gameplay with flat levels, and instead of loading times you drive for 15 minutes?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit conflicted after reading the GameSpot review. It seems like Doom 2016 gameplay spread over an open-world checklist, which doesn't allow it to have the same kind of variety as Doom 2016 -- a game built from bespoke encounters. On the one hand I really like Doom 2016 and RAGE 1, but on the other hand I'm done with open-world checklists. I don't mind driving for 15 minutes and I don't mind worlds being relatively "empty", I'm just done going down lists of icons on a map.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Another open world game with mixed reviews, not that I would totally trust some of the reviews because Days Gone is really good despite the reviews and clearly some reviewers are really liking this one too.

Maybe it's time developers start to move away from some of the old, open world idea's now though and look to find new ways to make them more fun. Hopefully next gen can give us much more detailed and alive open worlds.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Between this and Days Gone, 70s have become the new 80s. Reviewers aren't impressed by games doing 1-2 things really well anymore. Remember when they were handing out 90s like flyers to student parties?

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Rage 2 has some neat ideas and a good shotgun but I wish the action was a little more wild. It's very straightforward and not as over-the-top as the trailers made it look. Open-world feels very empty, too.

Watching the Quick Look makes this look like a post-apocalyptic Banjo Kazooie FPS.

It's an open-world collect-a-thon.

Even the shootouts look slow and plodding. Comparing this to something kinetic and exciting like DOOM is just, unfair.

Last edited:

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I don't know why, but I feel like this will probably be another Mad Max, where critics are lukewarm on it due to having played so many open world games of a similar type, but laymen who pick it up will like it. Could be wrong, though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
sounds good enough for my shooty bang fix until doom eternal. Don't care about much else than gunplay, will pick it up when the backlog tapers

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, bought. Installing now and will VPN for access in an hour or so.

Will play for 2 hours and if it grabs me will continue, if not I'll refund and wait for sale.

Will drop feedback here and in OT for anyone interested.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Not really surprised but for me, Rage 2 will most likely be an easy 9/10 since I loved Mad Max (9/10) and Days Gone was an excellent 9.5/10 and my current 2019 game of the year so for me don't care about critics as the only review that matters to me is my own. Looking forward to playing Rage 2 tomorrow night after work.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Between this and Days Gone, 70s have become the new 80s. Reviewers aren't impressed by games doing 1-2 things really well anymore. Remember when they were handing out 90s like flyers to student parties?

In my opinion, this is why people can't really find a middle ground when they react to these reviews.

It's almost to a point where it's either "A 72 aggregate from reviews? This must be the worst game ever. I'll get it in 20 years when it's 10 cents, I'd never pay more than that for a game with a 72 aggregate." or "I don't understand how this isn't the game of the year."

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I think game review standards are moving in the direction of 7/10 reflecting a decent-to-good game, as it should be.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I think game review standards are moving in the direction of 7/10 reflecting a decent-to-good game, as it should be.
And this may be my issue.

My mindset is still set in the concept that 70-75 is really a 55-65 in gaming review language. Not that it may be the new 80-85.

Of course, when the latest re-skinned Far Cry or NBA 2K gets another 80-85 it seems like the old rules do still apply. So it's frustrating. Since it seems the old rules apply to established franchises and a harsher set of standards apply to new franchises.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

Interesting take. I'm not sure if the marketing should be applauded or criticized...

Rage 2's combat feels good. World feels quite empty. Characters I've encountered so far felt very forgettable. It's a very good podcast game. Arigato for your time.

Welp, I guess this has a place in my library

the open world being emtpy sounds like a bummer, they didn't get to flesh that part out in the first one because time ran out so it's strange to see they didn't focus on that this time around.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
it really is, at least on the Pro...i had to keep telling to myself that they´ve done that on purpose to evoke an retro game style, a mixture of mid 90s shooting and early 2000s game lol

but yeah even with fooling myself i was really putted off by the graphics at times. it looks rough, some textures could be from the Wii U, really blocky geometry too and blurry IQ
For real? That sucks.. this year has sucked so far, but the way they were marketing this game I was sure it was going to be great.

Rage 2 |OT| ID... "Who even are you"
Lol
Edit: ah shit too late

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
And this may be my issue.

My mindset is still set in the concept that 70-75 is really a 55-65 in gaming review language. Not that it may be the new 80-85.

Of course, when the latest re-skinned Far Cry or NBA 2K gets another 80-85 it seems like the old rules do still apply. So it's frustrating.
You need to adjust for genre pretty much. FPS, interactive story games and a few other genres tend to score lower these days and rarely even reach 90+. A score in the 70ties for those is good even. Reviews for annual sports titles are pretty much useless, but generally 80+ is what you want to score there. If you are open world you need to stand out to succeed or you also won't reach 85+. Some devs have a built in advantage like From, ND or Rockstar, so a MC in the 70ties for those devs would be trash. 3rd person linear action games with a strong story presentation also still get plus points from the start or if you have amazing combat.

There is a lot of context to be taken into account these days when comparing MC scores. 1:1 comparisons between games have pretty much gotten impossible, as these numbers do not mean the same thing. I would say for Rage these scores are fine, same as Days's Gone. Not awful by any stretch, just decent to a bit mediocre in some ways, but you can have a lot of fun with it. If The Last of Us 2 scored this way that would be pretty bad on the other hand.

So yeah, you need flexible rules or you are doing yourself a disservice relying purely on an arbitrary number regardless of the game when deciding whether you wanna buy it. This way you would miss quite a few games you might possible love these days

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
it really is, at least on the Pro...i had to keep telling to myself that they´ve done that on purpose to evoke an retro game style, a mixture of mid 90s shooting and early 2000s game lol

but yeah even with fooling myself i was really putted off by the graphics at times. it looks rough, some textures could be from the Wii U, really blocky geometry too and blurry IQ
Owwww... didn't expect that.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Quick Look makes this look like a post-apocalyptic Banjo Kazooie FPS.

It's an open-world collect-a-thon.
So was Mad Max, just with 3rd person Arkham combat instead of first-person shooting.

It was a great podcast game, because you never had to put any thought into what you were doing, you could focus on something else and just mindlessly clear icons off your map. Could have been worse, could have been a lot better.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Will definitely give this game a shot after deep discount simply because i'm still playing through Days Gone which is far better than reviews give it credit for. I'm simply not jumping into yet another post apocalyptic open world game again anytime soon.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
So was Mad Max, just with 3rd person Arkham combat instead of first-person shooting.

It was a great podcast game, because you never had to put any thought into what you were doing, you could focus on something else and just mindlessly clear icons off your map. Could have been worse, could have been a lot better.

The car stuff seemed a lot better in Mad Max.

Granted, watching isn't playing, but that's my take.

Oct 30, 2017
I was watching Cohh struggle through a boss fight and while the action if very DOOM, the music is like someone took the DOOM soundtrack and added another layer of compression on top of it. Lots of unappealing loud music that grates instead of hypes.