• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Deep Silver/4A Games claimed that Exodus sales were 2.5x greater on EGS than Last Light sales on Steam for the same time frame.
That's actually a "beam me up Scotty", AFAIK. That exact statement was never said, it was "Metro Exodus has sold 2.5x of Last Light's sales on Steam over the same time frame". No mention of it being specifically just EGS sales. (I mean, I could be wrong, but I never saw a direct PR quote stating that, just an article interpreting it as EGS sales.)

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
No. You're removing one avenue for alt-right/etc. to spread their bullshit. It's a small victory in a larger war.

"Legitimate consumers" complaining about their video games is not more important than that, sorry. Y'all are delusional if you think nerds complaining about a game being on a different store are more important than deplatforming white nationalists who spread hate.
I don't give a shit about which games end up on which stores. All I care about is that people are allowed to voice their concerns with a product they have purchased. It's on both the storefront and the consumers to determine whether those concerns are justified.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Last Light was the previous fastest selling game in the franchise. Metro Exodus sold 2.5x faster than LL did in the same time frame. There is nothing murky there

Exodus was also the fastest selling Metro game ever on consoles.

Again, if people are truly upset with this, a far better method is DONT BUY B3.

Want me to hazard a guess though? I'm willing to bet B3 sales will still be massive on PC.

Same time frame doesnt say which time frame for multiple reason.
They claim "launch aligned" but Last Light had longer preorders. Did they count it as a "launch period" ?
Also did they count Steam sales only ? Or Sales from other storefronts too ?
The timeframe + what's included is willingfully not defined.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Metro Last Light was the previous fastest selling game in the franchise. Metro Exodus sold 2.5x faster than LL did in the same time frame. There is nothing murky there

Want me to hazard a guess though? I'm willing to bet B3 sales will still be massive on PC.

The original version of LL not selling a lot during it's launch window compared to LL Redux (a comparison point that Epic/Deep Silver did not clarify) still leaves me wanting for more clarification on that. For a company that employees someone who absolutely did not give a shit about sharing "sales" numbers for games, Epic is shockingly coy about revealing hard numbers.
There is significant research and investment put into studies like this all the time.

If you dont have access to these studies I'm sorry

This feels like a poor copout to come in here and attempt to assert a "truth" without being able to show a single objective piece of evidence behind it. It can't be that hard.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

It is genuinely disappointing to see you specifically posting that image.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is the argument that the people review bombing will still buy the game anyway and are just being babies or that they are in the minority and should therefore just shut up?

The argument is in the grand scheme of things what launcher someone uses to access their PC games doesnt seem to affect sales at all. UPlay has never hurt PC sales. Origin doesnt hurt EA. Destiny 2 being on Blizzard didnt hurt it. I could go on and on.

At the end of the day people will by and large buy B3 on epic store because they want to play more Borderlands. The outcry more than likely is mostly noise in the grand scheme of things.

Metro had a massive marketing push in comparison to Last Light

2.5x that number isn't something to sing from the rooftops

What? Exodus is a massive success for 4A. Fastest selling Metro game across both PC and console

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
As I've said before, many of my reservations about the EGS will largely evaporate once I'm able to purchase keys for EGS exclusives from Fanatical, GMG, Humble, Game Billet, etc. at discounts comparable to those that I currently receive for titles that distribute Steam keys.

Then -- and only then -- will I acknowledge the EGS as a "real" competitor to Steam, because then -- and only then -- will I see the benefits of it as a consumer.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a poor copout to come in here and attempt to assert a "truth" without being able to show a single objective piece of evidence behind it. It can't be that hard.

I mean...I'm well known for sales data specifically.

If you dont want to believe me all you have to do is ignore me. It's not difficult

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It is literally baked into the conversation that a Bethesda game will be broken. What other industry is a that happening in?

They are an outlier in that Bethesda games have preached the endearing qualities of their bugs for a very long time so while you might think that is transparency or pragmatic they are framing it as a "fun" thing. It's stupid but I don't know of any other dev that does that. I am speaking to the pretty regular warm and fuzzy sales pitches that are designed as red meat to fanboys of a studio. I have heard Blizzard straight up call the fans "family." Other companies don't go that far but they take similar tones with their customers.

You are right they aren't our friends and sure as hell aren't family. They sell a product and that's it. The good thing is that more and more people will adjust to that mentality but I'm not sure these companies want that tbh. People falling in love with a brand or dev can garner a ton of sales but you also run the risk of a more passionate response when you make a bad decision. It will be interesting to see the rhetoric at E3 this year.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are the 16 other pages?
I keep seeing people say this about that image. The thing is: those colored users aren't just people playing Modern Warfare 2, they're users playing any game at all. Of the people in that group who were actually busy playing video games, most of them were playing Modern Warfare 2.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017

Voting with your wallet has always been the best and most effective way of sending a message, I agree. Do you know if Exodus is showing decent legs btw? I know initial numbers were strong compared to previous titles but people were really doubting legs on that one.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
As I've said before, many of my reservations about the EGS will largely evaporate once I'm able to purchase keys for EGS exclusives from Fanatical, GMG, Humble, Game Billet, etc. at discounts comparable to those that I currently receive for titles that distribute Steam keys.

Then -- and only then -- will I acknowledge the EGS as a "real" competitor to Steam, because then -- and only then -- will I see the benefits of it as a consumer.
This is essentially my biggest issues as well, cutting out the rest of the market is anathema to me and the reason I left consoles as my primary form of gaming years ago. If they allow 0 cut key generation like Steam that can be distributed to 3rd party stores then the majority (far from all, but the majority) of my issues with EGS goes away.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you can buy from humble but for now it looks like they're price fixing since you see exactly the same price there as on EGS

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
That's actually a "beam me up Scotty", AFAIK. That exact statement was never said, it was "Metro Exodus has sold 2.5x of Last Light's sales on Steam over the same time frame". No mention of it being specifically just EGS sales. (I mean, I could be wrong, but I never saw a direct PR quote stating that, just an article interpreting it as EGS sales.)

After further research, it was Epic that made the announcement during its "State of Unreal" presentation at GDC 2019. Here is the slide:

dasdasdasa.png

I'm going to assume that it refers to PC sales only as it was Epic making the announcement.

Oct 27, 2017
I guarantee if this topic was about a different industry (let's use telecomms as an example) the people defending less consumer choice would be singing a very different tune.

If the other telecomm companies lacked major features, region locked major parts of the world, and bought exclusivity for technology?

I would certainly hope not.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Ive never see a company get benefit of a doubt so quick on a forum focused on sales like Epic does. They have no reason to elaborate when everybody just accepts it i guess.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
you can buy from humble but for now it looks like they're price fixing since you see exactly the same price there as on EGS

Right - I was aware that Humble is currently the only third-party storefront distributor of EGS keys, but until there is an actual discount from them (as well as the existence of other key distributors), then I consider my original point of there being no actual competition with Steam still in effect!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Right - I was aware that Humble is currently the only third-party storefront distributor of EGS keys, but until there is an actual discount from them (as well as the existence of other key distributors), then I consider my original point of there being no actual competition with Steam still in effect!

Why they would discount if they are the only option?

Wait one year.

Oct 27, 2017
After further research, it was Epic that made the announcement during its "State of Unreal" presentation at GDC 2019. Here is the slide:

dasdasdasa.png

I'm going to assume that it refers to PC sales only as it was Epic making the announcement.
Without knowing the value of X that slide is meaningless. X might be 400 and that would be 1000 copies sold, not very impressive I would say.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This thread stopped producing constructive conversation and has been locked

Status
Not open for further replies.