• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
This is fucking disgusting

Polanski himself was not present out of fear of a "public lynching"

The first person leaving is Adèle Heanel (who plays in Portrait of a Lady on Fire), she can be heard saying "La honte!" ("Shameful!")

Florence Foresti, the host, refused to stay for the rest of the ceremony, saying she was feeling "sickened" ("écoeurée")

Last edited:

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Fuck that dude. The fact that he is not rotting in prison for drugging and anally raping a thirteen year old girl is beyond comprehension. It's like rich white guy privilege times a million. How he still gets support from production companies, crew members and artists I will never know.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Gross. Good on the people who walked out.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck that dude. The fact that he is not rotting in prison for drugging and anally raping a thirteen year old girl is beyond comprehension. It's like rich white guy privilege times a million. How he still gets support from production companies, crew members and artists I will never know.

tHe TiMeS wErE dIfFeReNt

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Never forget when all those Hollywood cunts gave a standing ovation to that piece of shit:

Also, the balls on these fuckers to still have this video up, from the official Oscars youtube channel, jesus christ.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Just disgraceful. It's a real shame that there are still a lot of (prominent) actors who are willing to work with him.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I was about to make a thread.
Yeah, fucking shameful.

More about it: https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...rs-cesars-row-over-roman-polanski-nominations
Quote from Adèle Haenel, who was the first to leave:
Adèle Haenel, the star of Portrait de la Jeune Fille en Feu (Portrait of a Lady on Fire), which has also been nominated for a César, warned she would boycott the event if Polanski attended. She has accused another French director, Christophe Ruggia, of sexually harassing her when she was 12.

"Distinguishing Polanski is spitting in the face of all victims," Haenel told the New York Times, adding that nominating him "means raping women isn't that bad".

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Props for Adele Hainel and the rest for leaving. She was amazing in Portrait, glad to see she won't stand for this. It is indeed shameful of the French film industry.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City

"I worked with him and he was the nicest person!"

Oct 28, 2017
I am still completely baffled as to why so many people in show business hold a known rapist in such high regard. The likes of Weinstein and his abuse of power are one thing, but directors and actors weren't out there signing petitions defending him like they do for Polanski.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
The first person leaving is Adèle Heanel (who plays in Portrait of a Lady on Fire), she can be heard saying "La honte!" ("Shameful!")

Florence Foresti, the host, refused to stay for the rest of the ceremony, saying she was feeling "sickened" ("écoeurée")

Good for them
l2v6snj3evrz.gif

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
That awkward pause and gesturing after "And the nominees are..." says it all. What a disgrace the board and voters have created.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am still completely baffled as to why so many people in show business hold a known rapist in such high regard. The likes of Weinstein and his abuse of power are one thing, but directors and actors weren't out there signing petitions defending him like they do for Polanski.

Weinstein was a jerk who never played ball with the other big shots and made enemies with a lot of people in Hollywood, hence why when he fell, they were ALL TOO HAPPY to make him persona non grata.

Polanski, on the other hand, is friends and has connections with a lot of the big wigs (basically any of the assholes who gave him a standing ovation for his Oscar win).

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
That awkward pause and gesturing after "And the nominees are..." says it all. What a disgrace the board and voters have created.
The video is from after he won, so the nominees that were about to be presented were for the Best Picture award, but yeah, you could feel things were awkward

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Never forget when all those Hollywood cunts gave a standing ovation to that piece of shit:

Also, the balls on these fuckers to still have this video up, from the official Oscars youtube channel, jesus christ.

Just so I get this straight, this was after Polanski was exposed for rape, right?

Also fuck this shit! Can't believe people will still work for Polanski! Good on the actors and other attendees for walking out.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Let's especially not forget it happened at Jack Nicholson's house and he's there clapping along. Someone drugged and raped a 13 year old in your house and you're out here cheering for him.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Adèle. She's right that it is shameful. It's bad enough that that POS is given sanctuary there and treated as if he's more than a sack of shit wrapped in skin. To give him awards is just ridiculous.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Just so I get this straight, this was after Polanski was exposed for rape, right?

Also fuck this shit! Can't believe people will still work for Polanski! Good on the actors and other attendees for walking out.

I thought he fled the US years before this, to avoid being arrested. Other people in this thread may know better.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Weinstein's fall came abruptly because partly of its timing (i.e. with an unrepentant serial assaulter and rapist in the white house). Societies tolerate and paper over abuses of power as long as some things are going okay. In times where nothing feels okay the cultural tipping point is much closer. Polanski had his detractors but it took the water rising to its current levels for this degree of reaction to emerge at all. Polanski remains a free and protected man thanks to that significant timing gap.

I thought he fled the US years before this, to avoid being arrested. Other people in this thread may know better.
He fled back in 1978 when he realized that he was not going to avoid serious jail time. If he sets foot in the US or a country with an extradition treaty with the US, he gets immediately arrested and shipped out back to California to face justice.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Yes, he won the Oscar in 2003, 25 years after being charged with rape.
And like jml pointed out, he wasn't there to receive his own oscar, that the Academy so happily gave him, cuz if he was, he would've been arrested.

Also, fuck Jack Nicholson. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten "MeTooed", he looks, sounds, and acts like a major creep.

EDIT: Oh, and also fuck everyone who choose to keep working with this rapist cunt, that allowed him to keep making movies, and live a normal life, like he did nothing.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Film industry has a dark side, they probably don't have a problem with it because imagine the shit they get up to at parties.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't know much about the people in the films industry but he did whaaaaaaaat??? And got away with it and most people just don't care??? Why would anyone applaud a known child rapist? Thats fuckin' disgusting.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
The whole reason he wasn't there to accept his award was because he was hiding away in Europe to avoid his rape charge.
He's been on the run since 1978 and this is from 2002. Everyone in that room knew what he did.
Oh, it's way after that. He was convicted in '78 and that Oscars took place in 2003.

Well holy shit!

*groans in frustration*

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about the people in the films industry but he did whaaaaaaaat??? And got away with it and most people just don't care??? Why would anyone applaud a known child rapist? Thats fuckin' disgusting.
That's Hollywood. LA Noire wasn't exaggerating with how fucked showbiz is. They get away with a LOT

Some of it, even a lot of it, is because of his sympathetic life story, from being a Holocaust survivor (he survived and escaped the emptying of the Krakow ghetto that should be very familiar to anyone that's seen Schindler's List) and the shocking death of his wife Sharon Tate and their unborn child at the hands of the Manson Family. That he also happens to be one of the most influential filmmakers the medium has ever seen also doesn't hurt his rep, as even before the rape case, actors were beating each other with sticks for a chance to work with him.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Well holy shit!

*groans in frustration*

If you want to be even more frustrated, in 2008 he was arrested in Switzerland over the case. In response 100's of celebrities signed a petition asking for his release. Here's some notable names on it

Woody Allen
Wes Anderson
Asia Argento
Darren Aronofsky
Monica Bellucci
Terry Gilliam
Wong Kar Waï
John Landis
David Lynch
Michael Mann
Martin Scorcese
Tilda Swinton

But the kicker to it all was the person that distributed the petition, Harvey Weinstein.

And there's Martin Scorsese clapping a rapist alongside Harvey Weinstein. It's not a great look.
Gangs of New York was up for a lot of awards that year (winning none of them), so it's not unusual that director and producer would sit near one another at the Oscars, even as we do know that things got heated between the two all throughout the production.

That being said, Scorsese has long been a true blue supporter of Polanski, so he'd be running up and down the aisles with or without a film competing against Polanski. Hell, he's probably happy at the fact that he got to lose to Polanski in his lifetime.