EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
To Toronto's defense, they don't have much experience with how to behave when on the verge of winning.

Just playing. Bad move by some fans. Durant looked dazed. He almost showed no reaction to the injury, not much that I saw, at least, just instability.

Hoping for a good diagnosis and a proper recovery. He tilted the NBA but he's a great player and is ultimately great for the game. Sucks that he got hurt with his impending free agency.

I hope Durant didn't feel pressured to come in and he truly felt he could go. I was concerned with the report that he left practice early to wrap his calf in ice and had ice on his leg between timeouts.

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
Tribalism is and will always be strange to me whether it's on the court, in the court side seats or on message boards. We are whatabouting other city fans.

These posts are weird, man. You wanted a city to win, but now you're hoping the opposing team, not opposing city, wins. Just to spite an entire city for the actions of a few shit fans?

Were you really rooting for Toronto? Or am I missing your sentiment here?
I got no horse in this race.

I just thought it would be nice for toronto to win its first chip but then Durant's sacrifice made me change my mind. There's no malice behind my thoughts.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Worst one I remember is when I a a kid and Eagles fans cheering when Michael Irving my have been paralyzed and his career was ended.

He was taken out on a stretcher and put in a ambulance.

Jokic4MVP

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Wish someone would of tried to sucker punch me while I was wearing my Giannis jersey in the conference finals. Man's would of gotten curb stomped pulling that shit.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking gross. Never been to a game where the crowd doesn't go silent and cheer when he gets up and walks off
Yeah this is the etiquette. Never seen fans cheer in the arena/stadium when anyone goes down live before in decades of watching sports. And no, I'm not going to count confusing situations like when someone knocks down a 3 at the same moment someone's collapsing with an injury.

Finals crowds are always the worst crowds so it doesn't reflect on the fanbase overall much (same for how dead and pouty GSW crowds are this year). But this was kinda beyond the pale.

Ultimately it's more distressing that GSW played him in the first place. It's not like people didn't warn them of this exact injury. If the Raptors manage to lose this series, though, that clip of the crowd being absolute ghouls will be played for a long, long time.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I was at the game, 6th row. The fans around me were stunned at first, and then cheered and chanted for respect for Durant as he was helped to the locker room. Maybe this didn't come across on the broadcast very well. It's unfortunate that some cheered the injury itself.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Nah, they are particularly bad fans. I've never ever seen in any sport where the whole stadium burst into cheers and mockeries over a player's serious injury. That was weird. Even the announcers were taken aback. Hell, their own players were visibly embarrassed.
It was a bad look for sure, though some of these videos are misleading. The action continued after KD's injury. Raps made a 3 pointer. Most people cheered for that. At first myself I didn'T think it was that bad of an injury.

Of course they are trash fans, just like everywhere else. Mob mentality. People forget it's just a game.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
It was a bad look for sure, though some of these videos are misleading. The action continued after KD's injury. Raps made a 3 pointer. Most people cheered for that. At first myself I didn'T think it was that bad of an injury.

Of course they are trash fans, just like everywhere else. Mob mentality. People forget it's just a game.

Definitely many fans didn't notice Durant was down until after the Raptors scored on the next possession too. I had to point it out to the person next to me.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
This type of thing happens way more in the NFL than the NBA in my experience, but I'm not going to generalize all Raptors fans or people in Toronto for the actions of a few classless morons. You could even see quite a few fans in the arena clapping for him when he was being helped off. And I'd like to believe that karma came back to bite those who were cheering when KD went down looking at how the Raps choked down the stretch. Good on Kyle Lowry trying to cut that shit out when it started.

I know they probably were cheering more about the fact that KD being out gives them a better chance to win than KD being injured, but you don't cheer when players who put their bodies and careers on the line every time they step on the court/field/ice.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
This is alcohol mixed in with obnoxiousness.

Painful as a knicks fan, just painful as someone who appreciates good ball that this happened.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pulling for Golden State for the first time in years. Toronto, you were the NBA's sweet heart and you shit all over that good will real fast. If Golden State can win Thursday then Game 7 is going to be TIGHT for the Raptors, be interesting how the fans/team handle all that pressure.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
It's also a "Misery Loves Company" mentality. When the fools boo every other Knicks pick in the draft, I shudder in embarrassment of people willing to ruin someone's big moment for shits and giggles.

Misery is celebrated more than victory. People love seeing someone suffer and lose over them winning and obtaining something good.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
as a philadelphia fan, this is disgusting behavior. glad we never had anything like this happen.

giphy.gif

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a "Misery Loves Company" mentality. When the fools boo every other Knicks pick in the draft, I shudder in embarrassment of people willing to ruin someone's big moment for shits and giggles.

Misery is celebrated more than victory. People love seeing someone suffer and lose over them winning and obtaining something good.

You'd think a city whose fan base is baptised in misery would know not to celebrate someone else's 🤔

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely many fans didn't notice Durant was down until after the Raptors scored on the next possession too. I had to point it out to the person next to me.
Ya shits confusing when you're there live. People start cheering when they hear anyone else cheering. People clap when they hear clapping. I was cheering for the turnover before I even knew he was down. Sure there are dicks there. I ain't denying that. But this happens everywhere. Especially when it's s top player in a serious game. France cheered when Ronaldo got injured in the finals at first. Then they gave him an ovation after realizing someone's actually hurt

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ya shits confusing when you're there live. People start cheering when they hear anyone else cheering. People clap when they hear clapping. I was cheering for the turnover before I even knew he was down. Sure there are dicks there. I ain't denying that. But this happens everywhere. Especially when it's s top player in a serious game. France cheered when Ronaldo got injured in the finals at first. Then they gave him an ovation after realizing someone's actually hurt

The clip of Jurassic Park outside the arena shows the majority of Toronto fans cheering even louder when they realized Durant was hurt and hobbling off the court.

They clearly knew what was happening.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Which ones? Because they all do.
I feel like baseball fans in general are classier than some of the more violent/fast paced sports. Johnny Damon in particular I remember getting a standing ovation as he was carted off the field as a Red Sox player in Oakland during the playoffs when he was knocked unconscious

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
it's not a good look but let's not act like every franchise doesn't have asshole fans that would do this. they got caught up in the moment.

i don't believe there's something inherent to toronto that doesn't generalize to the other 29 nba cities.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't all that strange in the land of sports. It's fucked up, but it's one of the Warrior's best players so it almost guarentees that the Raptors take this.

Not saying I agree or would be cheering for this myself, I just understand why it's happening. Hope he recovers regardless.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
How hard is it for people to just cheer for their team? You can show love and support for your squad w/o trashing the opposing team.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Find me a sports fan base that doesn't initially react like this. Like this place wouldn't get gleeful if Tom Brady for example, got hurt on the field. It's just sports mob mentality. It's part of the experience.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
it's not a good look but let's not act like every franchise doesn't have asshole fans that would do this. they got caught up in the moment.

i don't believe there's something inherent to toronto that doesn't generalize to the other 29 nba cities.

This

It was definitely classless of the fans to cheer, but this is a sports issue and a mob mentality issue rather than a Toronto issue. I would not be surprised if there would be some ecstatic GSW fans if Kawhi went through the same injury, that's the kind of response you invite upon yourself if you're a dominant game-changing player in your sport. On the list of reprehensible things done by fans of any sport, cheering for an injury is not even close to being the worst.

Oct 26, 2017
What assholes. Longtime Chicago Bears fan, and my first thought when I saw Aaron Rodgers go down is that I hope it isn't serious. Who wants to win because other guys got hurt anywho? "Great job winning against the backup."

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Mentioned it in the NBA thread, but it's always hilarious when sports fans talk about "class" and engage in finger pointing as if every single fanbase isn't full of shitheads.

Sports are tribal. Fandom is arbitrary. People cheer for others' misery if it helps their side win in certain scenarios. Last night was a prime example.

Don't act like you're some saint or a "classy" fan. You're no better than any other fanbase.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
The fans' behavior was definitely bad but acting like other sports cities are on some moral high horse is absurd ("Philly fans wouldn't do this"...right...). Drag these fans, roast them accordingly (though "actually, Toronto and Canada are garbage" takes are lame), but acting like toxicity and lack of empathy are surprising to see in sports is pearl-clutching. Not defending Toronto, but I'm not going to act like this is shocking or indicative of what it means to be a fan in Toronto.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Mentioned it in the NBA thread, but it's always hilarious when sports fans talk about "class" and engage in finger pointing as if every single fanbase isn't full of shitheads.

Sports are tribal. Fandom is arbitrary. People cheer for others' misery if it helps their side win in certain scenarios. Last night was a prime example.

Don't act like you're some saint or a "classy" fan. You're no better than any other fanbase.

Classy fans call out the trash fans for being trash. They don't defend and normalize the behavior.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Find me a sports fan base that doesn't initially react like this. Like this place wouldn't get gleeful if Tom Brady for example, got hurt on the field. It's just sports mob mentality. It's part of the experience.
i everyone of my buddies fucking hate the cheatriots and brady, and the air went out of the room when he went down that one year in game 1 against the chiefs, then they showed the replay and we all almost threw up. yeh i wanna fucking win, but at the end of the day its a fucking game, and all of them are risking their body for entertainment. plus its basic human compassion.

and yeh every sports base is like 75% pure trash, cant help it, fuck i went to a cowboys game and a cowboys fan shot someone after the game. but lets not be dipshits and try to say its ok because everyone does it,