• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
f36be3238b080f7285f5c9e69dbe6f4d44718ae0.jpg

Reasonable specs, hope this can hit locked 60 and look good on Steam Deck but we will see!

More interestingly is all the marketing fluff around the PS5 SSD. Pretty funny stuff

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It is funny, though I would still be curious to see how it would work. I still think the lack of an ssd might cause loading stutter or straight up loading bars.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure that means much when they say SSD is recommended. The game will probably stutter a bunch when loading stuff otherwise

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Very Low textures likely take up a fraction of the space/memory to load. This means they could fit more assets into RAM. The game essentially used the fast ssd as a RAM disk so if you alleviate the RAM capacity constraints it eliminates the need for the bespoke ssd RAM disk solution. Literally every other set of settings requires an SSD. This isn't the gotcha you think it is.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Not entirely surprised. There are obvious benefits to SSD and that's going to be the best way to play but I can't say it felt like R&C:RA was doing anything that would be impossible without a SSD.

Jun 16, 2023
Germany
Of course it was marketed as if it was not possible without the SSD, but in the end I think it just gave them more time and flexibility to fulfil their vision without needing to invest in the tech, too much. Tests with slower SSDs on PS5 also showed that it was no problem.

I think the minimum specs might not give you a smooth experience frame time wise. In order to really really profit from SSD speeds on PC you would also need to implement Direct Storage.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
720p at very low settings, I'm guessing HDD can keep up, and where it can it's small enough to fit in 8 GB RAM.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
the difficult part would be the initial purple-rift sequence, but I suppose it could be replaced by a pre rendered cutscene

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really imagine who is out there with a gaming PC in 2023 and doesn't at least have a SATA SSD.

What's surprising to me is the lack of mention of recommending a Gen 4 NVMe SSD.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Even the minimum spec says SSD recommended but says try and HDD if you want, saying it can run doesn't say it's gonna be anywhere near a decent experience. On top of it literally needing to be 720p 30fps. Lol like come on people.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yea, it's terrible how Sony claimed you needed an SSD when you don't need it at all to run it at 720p / 30fps like the PS5 does.
Lmao like people see HDD and totally gloss over the fact the settings are VERY LOW and 720p and 30fps. Like yes you can run it on a Samsung fridge doesn't remotely mean it's playable.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I can't really imagine who is out there with a gaming PC in 2023 and doesn't at least have a SATA SSD.

What's surprising to me is the lack of mention of recommending a Gen 4 NVMe SSD.
Yeah no mention of a particular speed is far more interesting. I guess it's not too surprising considering Digital Foundry tested a 3.6GB/s SSD in the PS5 and it worked fine.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
If it hitches and loads then it will just prove the SSD was necessary.
I mean, given it's a modern PC port, it will probably stutter with or without an SSD. Of course, it is NIXXES, but I ain't taking anything for granted, modern APIs give devs way too many chances to trip over themselves.

I'm more curious if this will run at a smooth 30 FPS on the Steam Deck.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Will be interesting to see what sacrifices Nixxes had to make in order to get it to run on an HDD.

Obviously 720p/30 with the lowest possible graphics settings is a huge sacrifice already compared to the PS5 version.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember all the secret sauce PS5 SSD threads and again it was nothing but snake oil merchant talk.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
ok so I wanna install this on a 5400rpm WD Blue just to see how bad it is…because i'm expecting it to be awful

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I wonder if PC will get the same load times as PS5. Only game I've seen do the instant cold boot to game in a few seconds is Forspoken which uses DirectStorage.

Nov 8, 2017
Will be interesting to see what sacrifices Nixxes had to make in order to get it to run on an HDD.

Obviously 720p/30 with the lowest possible graphics settings is a huge sacrifice already compared to the PS5 version.

It's not necessarily locking you just to 720 lowest graphics on account of the hdd, it's just that minimum specs are for very old and weak hardware overall of which the hdd is just one factor.

I look forward to the inevitable digital foundry test video.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Why is people all gotcha ing when that no ssd required thing is for very low setting on 720p 30 fps lol

I guess you only need gtx 960 for ps5.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
theres really not that many times you do big zone transitions, and they are uninteractive so a few stutters here and there probably, but i imagine the actual gameplay will be smooth.

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
will be interesting to see how they got the opening sequence to work with the map changing every few seconds.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Curious how it'll hold up against the PS5 visuals, going by the specs I think the PS5 is doing some impressive stuff for its price (still).

Nontheless, Nixxes is delivering! Those CPU recommendations, making use of all dem cores.

I think steam deck owners also have an ease of mind now :p

edit; of course console like the ps5 are target platforms to which developers tune the visual fidelity to (e.g. lower resolution reflections with less details or bounces), lower density of fur etc etc against the vague and general system requirement specs for "Amazing Ray Tracing or High". So it's hard to do an apple's to apple's comparison if said options are not available.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Why is people all gotcha ing when that no ssd required thing is for very low setting on 720p 30 fps lol

I guess you only need gtx 960 for ps5.

those are because of the cpu / gpu, as they seem to scale pretty linearly according to that image.
ssd is still recommended for 720p30, so its likely to do with stutters.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I think this was expected, at least by me. Requiring a SSD just seems like a bad idea. If they can get the game running well without a SSD, then that just means more gamers can enjoy the game.

PC isn't a console, there is more than 1 way to get these games running on PC. I know SSD have been around for an extremely long time on pc, but why require one when you don't have to.

Still looking forward to how it runs on pc, and if ssd makes any difference on a high end pc. The ssd is still recommended, so hopefully the experience isn't that bad without one.