Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved.

Gonna put this here to collect some much needed salt..

empty-salt-shaker-drawing__k9857343.jpg
Imagine being this passive agressive after the whining for the TGA winner lmao

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kudos to Gamespot for recognizing the best game of the year and one of the best of the generation.

Deleted member 30365

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not the best gameplay, but the best story, best VA for a protagonist (Arthur Morgan it is by far my favourite character this generation), best graphics (a technical marvel on oneX(my pc with a 1070 can't do that because of how optimized for console hardware the game is), fantastic soundtrack, amount of content offered to the player.

It is indeed a game to remember.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Wow, you can do whatever you want outside the missions? You mean like you can also do in Assassins Creed, The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Dying Light, Just Cause, Sleeping Dogs and those other hundreds of open world games out there, you mean?

You were arguing freedom and the lack thereof in RDR2. I just pointed out that you're wrong on that account. It has freedom, and the systems are even more dynamic (especially the physics) than those other games you mentioned (some of which are RPG's)

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
When did Gamespot's site become such a nightmare to navigate? These awards look so cluttered and the site runs slow as hell on top of it. I used to really look forward to their awards because they'd be so straightforward and have a new category each day for a week (Special Achievement, Genre Awards, Platform Awards, and GOTY). Now it appears they just dump a bunch of videos in one place with big pictures that take up tons of room. Oh and the autoplay makes things even worse though to be fair most sites have that now and it's a damn shame.

As for the GOTY, yeah that's expected. Really well made game that I have to actually play some more. I haven't gotten past the first chapter yet since I've only been screwing around in it but that'll change soon.

Spring

Oct 31, 2017
Glad to see Gamespot picked the most deserving GOTY. I loved GOW and played the hell out of it but it's not quite at the same level as RDR2.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
It is settled, I am shitting up every GOTY thread unless they nominate Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux.

Gamestop is a fraud publication and they will be getting no further clicks from me until they recognize the true GOTY.

(This year has been amazing for games)

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
You were arguing freedom and the lack thereof in RDR2. I just pointed out that you're wrong on that account. It has freedom, and the systems are even more dynamic (especially the physics) than those other games you mentioned (some of which are RPG's)

Then you didn't read well enough. I mentioned the lack of freedom in missions. They're just not engaging at all. It's pretty obvious you can do whatever you want outside the missions in an open world game, but the handholding in main missions makes the game not a worthy GOTY contender in my opinion. That and all the exhausting filler stuff that's in the game (upgrades, challenges, hunting) that is (again in my opionion) not fun at all. Personally I would not score this higher than an 8 (I'm in chapter 6 now) and this 8 is purely based on the amazing open world they made.

Like I said: God of War is on a whole other level gameplay wise and when it comes down to just purely having fun. Those are the things that count for me the most. If I play a game for 2 hours that feel like 15 minutes, than I know I'm playing something special. I haven't had that feeling a single time playing RDR2.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Then you didn't read well enough. I mentioned the lack of freedom in missions. They're just not engaging at all. It's pretty obvious you can do whatever you want outside the missions in an open world game, but the handholding in main missions makes the game not a worthy GOTY contender in my opinion. That and all the exhausting filler stuff that's in the game (upgrades, challenges, hunting) that is (again in my opionion) not fun at all. Personally I would not score this higher than an 8 (I'm in chapter 6 now) and this 8 is purely based on the amazing open world they made.

Like I said: God of War is on a whole other level gameplay wise and when it comes down to just purely having fun. Those are the things that count for me the most. If I play a game for 2 hours that feel like 15 minutes, than I know I'm playing something special. I haven't had that feeling a single time playing RDR2.

I see where you're coming from and I can't fault you for that. At the end of the day it's all about opinions and personal taste.

I can agree with you regarding GoW, it is an amazing game and to be honest I'm conflicted on which is the game of the year for me. I kind of don't like "best of X" things just because I like different things for different reasons.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
It's an unprecedented achievement in many ways and one of the most memorable experiences ever for me, for many reasons.

Sometimes it does feel as if R* developed it in a void, completely unaware of what other developers were doing which results in the game feeling very outdated in bits, but also avoiding many current game design tropes and feeling different and fresh because if it, which is a huge plus in my book. I'm not joking when I say at times the game is so old in design it feels new again.

Having said that, I understand how a lot of people couldn't get past the sluggishness of the controls, the way the game is structured and the extremely linear nature of most story missions.
I talked a lot of people into NOT buying it, saying "man, it's like the best game ever but you'll hate every bit of it".