neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I thought sony took input lag very seriously when they design the system. Didnt mark cerny said that himself? What the hell happened

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Capcom have worked on improving it for SF6 considering this level of input delay isn't that much of an issue in other games like RE.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a good sign but it's also too early to assume that there won't be any improvements. I'm sure Capcom is in close contact with Sony about it, especially with them buying Evo and eSports being such a major component of the way they're pushing SF6.

Also yeah there are other PS5 native RE Engine games that could also be tested, I'd be interested to see where DMC V SE lands.

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
I don't see the objective for this test. A fighting game will have people working to optimize the input lag as it's a major thing there and not on a game like RE. Also, didn't compare other platforms to see if this is the standard or PS5 issue.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
They are two completely different games with their own very different priorities, though. Let's not make assumptions.

Squidmaster7

Feb 24, 2021
I thought sony took input lag very seriously when they design the system. Didnt mark cerny said that himself? What the hell happened
Just because their is considerable input lag doesnt mean its the consoles fault. It could just as easily be how the engine handles inputs and handles each frame. Im going to lean towards this being an RE engine issue and not the system.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Even with that, it's still up to the game engine to not be slow with things. UE hasn't always prioritized input latency and then we just saw Strive reduce input latency on the PS5 version, which uses UE4. It's not that the PS5 cannot have poor latency in the way its designed (like the PS3 did) but the way an engine interacts with a newer system, even now that we're approaching 2 years since release, can certainly affect it if it hasn't been optimized as well for it.

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Jumping the gun here, chief
If it had shown low latency, would you have said the same?

I'm sure Capcom have worked on improving it for SF6 considering this level of input delay isn't that much of an issue in other games like RE.
We can hope, but right now this is what we got

Not sure using this to predict SF6's input lag is going to be all that relevant.
Then why people asked him to run the tests? 🤔

As stated in the thread, a DMC5 test might be more representative than an FPS
You mean DMCV SE, because normal 5 is running the RE7 branch.

Also yeah there are other PS5 native RE Engine games that could also be tested, I'd be interested to see where DMC V SE lands.
Older branch from 2020, but fair.

What a pointless test.
What a pointless drive-by.

I don't see the objective for this test. A fighting game will have people working to optimize the input lag as it's a major thing there and not on a game like RE. Also, didn't compare other platforms to see if this is the standard or PS5 issue.
DNF Duel got up to 8F of lag on PS5, and that's a fighting game.

And we also have this

View: https://twitter.com/nycfurby/status/1541995118617628674

But that's not RE Engine so different thing.

I thought they already fixed it in another thread? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.
That's Guilty Gear Strive.

yeah, I'd like to see input lag on the 120Hz mode in DMC5
Valid if SF6 has 120fps mode though and doesn't force the PS5 to change to 60hz.

They are two completely different games with their own very different priorities, though. Let's not make assumptions.
Again, he was asked to test this to see the current state. But okay.

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
You wouldn't have made the thread if it did, so nah.
Needs a wake up call, because this is embarrassing and shouldn't have required the community begging since 2013 to fix this in 2022 on PS4.

And without this, they wouldn't have fixed PS5 either. Came out almost two years ago and they had no issues with games with up to 8F of input lag.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
the input lag in Street Fighter 6 was pretty bad in 2013 but its gotten better since give them some credit.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Needs a wake up call, because this is embarrassing and shouldn't have required the community begging since 2013 to fix this in 2022 on PS4.

And without this, they wouldn't have fixed PS5 either. Came out almost two years ago and they had no issues with games with up to 8F of input lag.

Look we'll have a beta we can test for input lag in the coming months. If that has 5+ frames of lag then by all means sound the alarms.

This is meaningless tho.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they'll prioritize input latency with this game. Will still get on XSX because of the universal 120hz.

But it'd be interesting if they made a native 120fps mode.

He should test the Capcom Stadium or whatever. That's an arcade collection on RE Engine.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Is there any correlation with input latency in past RE/SF games that have used the same engine, MT framework for example. Even then I wouldn't put too much thought in to these test, if Capcom didn't think the engine was good enough they wouldn't be using it for SF6.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
So RT on for shooting a gun actually had lower response time? But the menu test has a significant trend in the other direction.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
Again, he was asked to test this to see the current state. But okay.

And that's fair, I'm not arguing with the fact that people are curious about the current state of the RE engine. But again, these games have different priorities, different developer teams, and of course, different versions of the engine. Things can change (or not). I just don't think people should be concerned just yet, at least until we get our hands on a beta build of SF6 or something.

Capcom Arcade Stadium results: 6-7F on consoles
OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Why would RE get a patch or have this be used a precedent for street fighter? The fighting games get enough flak where they eventually get a patch to address the input lag but why would others? RDR2 had massive input lag as well as other notable games and no one gave a shit, I cant play the megaman x collection because of its insane input lag either.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvZkty_FQHA

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
Damn Capcom obviously was not thinking about the competitive community when making RE Village

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Didn't people (like Maximilian) which tested SF6, who play fighting games a lot, basically stated that the game was responsive as hell?

I don't know...maybe, just maybe, input latency is way more of a focus for that specific genre.

But let's wait and see.

Damn Capcom obviously was not thinking about the competitive community when making RE Village

LMAO

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't people (like Maximilian) which tested SF6, who play fighting games a lot, basically stated that the game was responsive as hell?

I don't know...maybe, just maybe, input latency is way more of a focus for that specific genre.

But let's wait and see.
Was the demo running on console or PC? Because SFV on PC is a whole different level vs PS4 on that regard.

LOL

About impressions regarding "how it feels"

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are not believing impressions when it comes to measurements of input lag in fighting games. Basically no one realized that something was wrong during all SFV's betas. Same for the release until input lag tests were made.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
We are not believing any input of humans being when it comes to measure input lag in a fighting game. Basically no one realized that something was wrong during all SFV betas. Same for the release until input lag tests were made.

Welp.

Here's hoping they prioritized and optimized the game for it.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
You should basically never purchase a console if you're actually very serious about input latency. Most TVs are already significantly worse than most monitors. Then you add in how basically no console treats input lag as a priority and it's no shock that you usually get a mess.