• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Project started by Albert and Cris back in 2014, it's gone a long way! Congrats!

WHAT'S INCLUDED:

Note: This is not the "final" release — there are several things that remain, like enemies, NPCs, playable characters, weapon and item refinements, etc.
  • Village Pack – UPDATED
    • All textures, 3D edits, lighting and effects improvements to date
  • Castle Pack – UPDATED
  • Island Pack – NEW
  • Separate Ways Pack – NEW
  • Assignement Ada Pack – NEW
  • The Mercenaries Pack – NEW
  • Subscreen and Menus and Weapons Pack – NEW
    • Re-created menus and subscreen background images
    • Improved inventory item models and textures
  • Weapons Pack – NEW
    • In-game weapon 3D models and textures based on the higher quality "examine view" version
      NOTE: Weapon textures will receive a complete makeover in the final release
  • Items Pack – NEW
    • In-game item 3D models and textures based on the higher quality "examine view" version
      NOTE: Some item textures will receive a complete makeover in the final release
  • Cut-scene Pack – NEW
    • Fixed and restored effects from the Gamecube/Wii version that got lost during the HD porting process
    • Improved cutscene-exclusive textures and 3D models
    • Low-polygon Ganados have been replaced with the higher-polygon version
    • Some lighting adjustments here and there
    • Some effect adjustments here and there
  • Miscellaneous
    • Enemy torches and crossbow arrows cast real time light
    • Improved barrel and tank explosions
    • Fixed some minor sound bugs
RE4HD Project – Release 3 – Instructions and Download

RELEASE3.gif

Trailer:

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited for this. I'll try and see if I can get ambient occlusion to work this time

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I still remember when the creators originally announced their intent on doing this restoration project on the old forum and I'm pretty sure, if I remember correctly, the first several pages were mostly people doubting their ability and telling them to use their time more wisely and essentially to give up. I'm so glad they kept pushing through. Incredible work and looking forward to the final release soon!

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Holy shit, what a night and day difference. Usually I ignore HD texture projects because the finished product only ends up looking better from a technical standpoint, but worse from an artistic standpoint. This seems to be incredibly faithful, though. Once the full game is done this might sell me on a long overdue replay.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played Resident Evil 4 before. If I do buy it cheap on Steam one day, I can just apply a huge patch and play it like this, right?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Every time I see this it blows my mind how well done it is. Waiting on the final release is a struggle but it will definitely be worth the wait.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I freed 155GB but my file extractor says there isn't enough space in my hard drive...........

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta hold out for that full release... God, it's hard.
Personally, I don't see the point in "holding out" when this is the first version of the mod that is playable from start to finish. The enhancements done so far cover the entire game, even Mercenaries. Yes, the character models have yet to be redone. Yes, some items are not in their final state. There are nips and tucks that still need doing. But this project has reached the safe stopping point where the overhaul is gonna start getting divisive with the next and presumably final update. Particularly when it comes to reworking the textures on the character models.

Way I see it, perfect is the enemy of good. I understand people fretting about a "suboptimal" experience. I understand people almost wanting to keep this mod low profile because it's "not finished" and wanting the final version to the big reveal for maximum effect. But I don't think that's wise. The mod has reached a point of maturity that is satisfactory and something everyone involved can be wholly proud of, IMO. Not perfect, but satisfactory. The best way to celebrate RE4 and this achievement is to play the mod. Tell friends. It's not like you're getting an inferior experience. You're getting a fantastic experience that will become slightly more fantastic at some undisclosed point in the future. If the mod didn't cover the game from start to finish, I'd wholly agree with holding back. But this gives you a comprehensively enhanced experience from the start of the game until the end, and also all the bonus material. It's a good a time to leap in as any.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
as popular as this game still is, i am really astonished about the fact that there hasn't been a remake for this from the ground up for current gen consoles but instead just HD remasters.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, the download has already hit its limit on Google Drive. I don't mean to be rude, because this project has obviously taken a lot of hard work and effort for next to no reward, but only releasing this through Google Drive? Yikes.

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017
Welp, the download has already hit its limit on Google Drive. I don't mean to be rude, because this project has obviously taken a lot of hard work and effort for next to no reward, but only releasing this through Google Drive? Yikes.

You didn't mean to be rude but somehow powered through.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can bypass Google drive limits, but I've forgotten how. Anyway, hopefully they put up a few mirrors. I'm kinda baffled they didn't release a torrent off the bat. They could have also teamed up with moddb, although this mod is huger than the huge mods ModdB typically handles.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember when the creators originally announced their intent on doing this restoration project on the old forum and I'm pretty sure, if I remember correctly, the first several pages were mostly people doubting their ability and telling them to use their time more wisely and essentially to give up. I'm so glad they kept pushing through. Incredible work and looking forward to the final release soon!

Yea I remember that thread and what the people were saying. But man am i glad that they were ignored

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I didn't know what to expect when click the thread.

I still remember the first thread from old forum.

Good job

Oct 28, 2017
You can bypass Google drive limits, but I've forgotten how. Anyway, hopefully they put up a few mirrors. I'm kinda baffled they didn't release a torrent off the bat. They could have also teamed up with moddb, although this mod is huger than the huge mods ModdB typically handles.

Log-in to your Google account and try downloading the files. Now go to your Google Drive homepage, the official downloads will show up under the "Quick Access" tab, since you just tried accessing them. Right click the file and select "Make a copy". Now just download the copy you made. Voila, you've bypassed the download limit.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Glorious! Good job Albert and Cris!

I'll wait for the final release though, don't have the time to play right now anyway so might as well.

Nov 4, 2017
Personally, I don't see the point in "holding out" when this is the first version of the mod that is playable from start to finish. The enhancements done so far cover the entire game, even Mercenaries. Yes, the character models have yet to be redone. Yes, some items are not in their final state. There are nips and tucks that still need doing. But this project has reached the safe stopping point where the overhaul is gonna start getting divisive with the next and presumably final update. Particularly when it comes to reworking the textures on the character models.

Way I see it, perfect is the enemy of good. I understand people fretting about a "suboptimal" experience. I understand people almost wanting to keep this mod low profile because it's "not finished" and wanting the final version to the big reveal for maximum effect. But I don't think that's wise. The mod has reached a point of maturity that is satisfactory and something everyone involved can be wholly proud of, IMO. Not perfect, but satisfactory. The best way to celebrate RE4 and this achievement is to play the mod. Tell friends. It's not like you're getting an inferior experience. You're getting a fantastic experience that will become slightly more fantastic at some undisclosed point in the future. If the mod didn't cover the game from start to finish, I'd wholly agree with holding back. But this gives you a comprehensively enhanced experience from the start of the game until the end, and also all the bonus material. It's a good a time to leap in as any.

Thanks. Gonna jump into this for the first time ever shortly as this one is next up on my RE pilgrimage. I don't think I can wait until the final release and I really wanna experience one of the most beloved & highly rated games of all time at some point in my lifetime. Besides, they didn't even need to make this texture project. People complaining that it's not finished should be grateful for what we have. Could've just been stuck with Capcom's so called HD port and learned to love it.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

The character models clash against the now super detailed backgrounds. The character models are always what's in the center of your view during the game. I think it is a disservice to the environment to play through before the models are done.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The character models clash against the now super detailed backgrounds. The character models are always what's in the center of your view during the game. I think it is a disservice to the environment to play through before the models are done.
He probably won't ever do the new models because people will get very angry & claim he ruined them, then all the discussion about the mod will be just that, how the modder ruined their childhoods by changing Leon's hair color slightly.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom really needs to pay the team and release this as a free update when finished.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
He probably won't ever do the new models because people will get very angry & claim he ruined them, then all the discussion about the mod will be just that, how the modder ruined their childhoods by changing Leon's hair color slightly.
They are doing them tho, they state that's the next step. Also I feel like that is a silly belief to have, they have long since proven their abilities with the work so far. No one should be concerned with the work they're going to do on the models.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are doing them tho, they state that's the next step. Also I feel like that is a silly belief to have, they have long since proven their abilities with the work so far. No one should be concerned with the work they're going to do on the models.
Pretty much every remaster project in existence begins treading on people's toes once it starts touching character models. Faces in particular. Tomb Raider 2013's PS4 version? People hate the new Lara model's face. Perfect Dark XBLA? People hate the new Elvis model and the other character models are met with varying degrees of side-eye. Return to Arkham? People hate the character model changes. Just last year, we had Shadow of the Colossus and among other complaints you had people complaining about the character model changes. I know I'm saying "people" in generalizing terms but messing around with character models is the #1 contentious point because it's so "in your face" if you'll excuse the pun.

I'm sure they'll do a good job, but it's not a job everyone's going to agree with. They're going to be by far the most contentious aspect to change. The characters are by far the most stylized element of the game's visual makeup. They can't just slap "real" textures on them. It's a delicate problem. For example, as a reference RE6 Leon has a much more detailed character model in terms of body and clothes but he also has a far more realistic face to go with that. This is not an easy problem to solve. The moment they update one aspect of the character model to be high fidelity, other aspects start standing out.
In Leon's case, the Leon character model was pretty darn detailed for 2005. There's clear room for improvement to the texture work, but of all the visual elements, it holds up among the best.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
For me, this will end up being the best mod of all time. I can't imagine anything that could beat it.

Nov 14, 2017
The level of faithfulness and the long-term commitment involved in producing this mod are both remarkable. The download is worth every GB.
Cacpom should just hire them.
If you're talking about Capcom officially releasing the mod and compensating them for their work I'd agree (so long as it didn't end up turning a labour of love into a commercially controlled product), but if you're just talking generally then it's worth remembering that fan works such as this operate under a different set of constraints compared to asset production in a commercial industry. Not having to deal with time or hardware constraints often outweighs the limitations of budget, and having references to work from helps immensely. Which is not to downplay the quality of the work that's gone into this mod, but sometimes people see mods which can outshine even new releases in terms of fidelity and assume that it's due to talent alone, which isn't fair to the artists who worked on the original.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i have the feeling that after playing re4 with this mod it's going to be impossible to go back to the original version, that's how good it looks. the original game just looks completly "wrong" now in the comparsion shots, like someone put the game on ultra low settings or somethng.

i'm also one of the people who's going to wait for the final release. i'm slightly worried about how the next update will change character models and if i'm going to like it but maybe the team could make updated models an option in the option menu or something? sort of like deus ex revision does it