• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE8 SPOILERS BELOW
I've not played RE8 yet but saw this on my LinkedIn feed tonight and thought it was worth sharing.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/rich...l-rabrgames-activity-6797108453513994240-ZnYR

In 2013 I directed my film Frankenstein's Army. It's a crazy monster movie filled with my own creature designs, one of which has been used - completely without authorization or credit in the newest Resident Evil game

Richard Raaphorst directed a 2013 film called Frankenstein's Army and it features this "propellor head" monster, which it appears that RE8 also has a very similar monster design.

Here's a trailer for the film, you can see brief shots of the propeller head monster.

I don't know what to make of it but the designs seem really similar, especially the three-blade propeller design. I'm curious to watch the film after I've played the game. Has anyone experienced both pieces of media, to the point where they feel they can comment on this in a more informed fashion?

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Honestly, I felt like the character was far more Evil Within than Resident Evil, strangely enough, so I'm not totally shocked.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
"Steals" is a strong word.

Resident Evil since its inception has always pulled a lot of inspiration from films. Resident Evil 1 from Night of the Living Dead, Jaws, The Fly, etc.

Resident Evil 7 from Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Blair Witch Project, SAW, etc.

I think this is trying to spin something pretty normal into something more than it is. I'd say they put plenty of its own spin on things (pun unintended). Honestly, I think the person behind the film would be better embracing that horror is a very self-referential medium and it leads to more people wanting to check out the film than anything, but that's just me.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
"Steals" is a strong word.

Resident Evil since its inception has always pulled a lot of inspiration from films. Resident Evil 1 from Night of the Living Dead, Jaws, The Fly, etc.

Resident Evil 7 from Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Blair Witch Project, SAW, etc.

I think this is trying to spin something pretty normal into something more than it is.

oh dusk.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure this will take off or propel the genre to new heights with such a flighty argument.

*Also people mentioning the Evil Within are referencing the Keeper which was a truly scary boss encounter.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
yeah the keeper is kinda similar but not really.

Hes a dude with a safe for a head.

I do find it funny how he cut off his own hands tho. (In RE8)

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Eh, I suppose the movie could have been a inspiration for the section. Actually might get around seeing the movie now.

I do love that propeller boss, especially when the engine catches on fire, and it spews out a line of fire as a result. XD

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Ehhh. I could see two creators coming up with the same concept. The actual execution seems fairly different, though.

Not sure he should be throwing stones, though - most of the other monsters look to be stock Wolfenstein/Zombie Army/Generic Nazi Zombie designs.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
idk. The concept of Object Head monsters seems like a common enough thing (see Pyramid Head, Siren Head, etc.), that you could conceivably arrive at the idea independently. They're not some hidden genius thing that only one or two guys ever thought of.

Here's an enemy called an "Ironhead" from Resident Evil: Revelations 2:
latest

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Concepts can't be copyrighted, just actual design implementation.

They don't look alike at all.

If concepts could be copyrighted then just do Resident Evil in right from the get go for stealing zombies from Night of the Living Dead which stole it from Haitian folklore.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Watching video of both and it's almost exactly the same thing. The context of why it's there might be different, but the creature design is near identical.

Might as well have gone all the way and given him a pyramid for a head.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, if you're going to rip off someone, take from the best.

Frankenstein's Army is fucking amazing.

(watch it)

N2BearHugs

May 29, 2018
I did think about the movie when I played this section. But to call it theft is a leap...

Oh, and the film sucks.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
They are definitely not identical. This might have just been a coincidence. Even if, then this would just be taking inspiration, which isnt a bad thing.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Stealing is some strong verbiage. This is a series that uses zombies. They didn't create zombies in RE1. Or vampires, or werewolves, man eating sharks or crocs.

This building on past ideas is so common that calling out this seems like such a reach. Dragons, giant rats, giant spiders, slimes, ogres, imps... I'll just stop bc I think my point is clear.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Max was referencing Airman in his stream last night and it was hilarious.

Airman: 2021 Edition

''Why do I only have the power to push people away??''

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised at these comments saying they're not the same, they look almost identical to me. Not to mention the fire part too.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Is there someone in that film that looks like father Gascogne/Heisenberg?

No, the movie and Bloodborne arent much alike. The bloodborne like outfits only appear for a few scenes, though the movie does have a cool monster and an overall mood where I can see how it inspired the game (additionally to the outfits in question). At its core though, the movie is based on a pretty fascinating real-life event that happened in France during the middle ages and bears no direct resemblance to Bloodborne.

Aug 15, 2020
yeah, it's too blatant to just pass it off as an inspiration tbh
Surprised at these comments saying they're not the same, they look almost identical to me. Not to mention the fire part too.
They don't look the same at all though outside of the propeller. The monster in Frankenstein's Army has a back mounted engine that feeds tubes into the head while the monster in RE8 has a traditional cylinder engine that rests on top of the shoulders.