Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
whats the point in having an opinion unless you believe deep down that you're right and other people are wrong? It's not personal, it's just movies.

Telling someone "you're wrong for liking the things you like" is personal. That's also not what having an opinion means. Having an honest opinion involves understanding that there is no right or wrong. If there was it wouldn't be a matter of opinion.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Telling someone "you're wrong for liking the things you like" is personal. That's also not what having an opinion means. Having an honest opinion involves understanding that there is no right or wrong. If there was it wouldn't be a matter of opinion.

sorry bud but even this opinion is the wrong opinion.

I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell you this.

Anyway Joaquin is always interesting even in movies I don't love so I wonder if he could salvage this for me.

huh?????

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry bud but even this opinion is the wrong opinion.

I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell you this.

Anyway Joaquin is always interesting even in movies I don't love so I wonder if he could salvage this for me.

huh?????
Wait a minute here. are you comparing a TV show that has literally thousands of episodes from one man versus a singular movie. and since we can bury Monday night raw without seeing it even though it's completely different circumstances therefore we can bury this movie that we haven't seen before.
That ain't it chief

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why you all are praising their misrepresentation of someone's words for the sake of positive promotion.

It helps that it's not really "for the sake of positive promotion". If that's all they wanted, there are dozens of glowing reviews they could have pulled from. No, this was done for the sake of trolling, and it's beautiful.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
It helps that it's not really "for the sake of positive promotion". If that's all they wanted, there are dozens of glowing reviews they could have pulled from. No, this was done for the sake of trolling, and it's beautiful.

It's also dishonest. The guy only did his job and shared his honest opinion of the film. There's no reason at all to troll him just because he didn't care for the movie.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Wait a minute here. are you comparing a TV show that has literally thousands of episodes from one man versus a singular movie. and since we can bury Monday night raw without seeing it even though it's completely different circumstances therefore we can bury this movie that we haven't seen before.
That ain't it chief

Joker:

- Dozens of appearances in other tv/movies
- Thousands of comic book appearances as a character
- A bunch of other Todd Phillips movies
- A bunch of other movies written by Scott Silver
- Tons of interviews about the basis for the character (including direct callouts to specific other films and comics)
- Trailers

I mean, yeah this is only an approximation of a final opinion that will only be shaped by seeing the movie. And shit, I hope it's good, I probably will see it at some point! And I'd rather see a good movie than a bad one. But pretending that there's NO WAY to judge a film's merits pre-release just isn't really true. I'm not saying anyone else has to take my opinion as gospel, I'm simply saying the impressions make me personally feel less likely to see it, and that it looks bad.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I don't know who I should listen to :(? These people who have seen the film or the Chicken Littles bashing it based on a few off-screen clips and a leaked script.. hm

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joker:

- Dozens of appearances in other tv/movies
- Thousands of comic book appearances as a character
- A bunch of other Todd Phillips movies
- A bunch of other movies written by Scott Silver
- Tons of interviews about the basis for the character (including direct callouts to specific other films and comics)
- Trailers

I mean, yeah this is only an approximation of a final opinion that will only be shaped by seeing the movie. And shit, I hope it's good, I probably will see it at some point! And I'd rather see a good movie than a bad one. But pretending that there's NO WAY to judge a film's merits pre-release just isn't really true. I'm not saying anyone else has to take my opinion as gospel, I'm simply saying the impressions make me personally feel less likely to see it, and that it looks bad.
You just said "whats the point in having an opinion unless you believe deep down that you're right and other people are wrong? It's not personal, it's just movies" especially when you haven't seen a damn movie. See the movie or don't see the movie but don't make you post like that dude.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
- Taking influence from other movies to make something new and exciting: good

- using some grain and telling people your movie "looks very 1970s" and then making a movie about one of the worst characters in comics: not as good

We get it, it's not a lascivious fanservice-laden anime so you're not interested.

lmao they used the pull quote from Ehrlich's negative review. I'm dying.

This is amazing.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, The King of Comedy is on Prime Video. Good excuse to finally watch it!

AlanMoore

Feb 22, 2018
Some new reviews added to RT.

Mara Reinstein
Us Weekly

September 10, 2019
This predictable brand of cold-hearted cynicism is not worth your time. Seriously.
Full Review

---------

Leah Greenblatt
Entertainment Weekly

September 10, 2019
A movie with the message this one hammers home again and again... feels too volatile, and frankly too scary, to separate from the very real violence committed by young men like Joaquin Phoenix's Arthur Fleck in America almost every day.

--------

Goodness.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I don't think the reviews really matter at this point lol. The film is dominating awards discussion and it's gonna dominate at the box office too.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
jokes on you when they reveal that Joker is actually a 6000 year old dragon you can fuck

to the extreme sadness of my friends and family I am just Like This sadly
This is a good post lol
Some new reviews added to RT.

Mara Reinstein
Us Weekly

September 10, 2019
This predictable brand of cold-hearted cynicism is not worth your time. Seriously.
Full Review

---------

Leah Greenblatt
Entertainment Weekly

September 10, 2019
A movie with the message this one hammers home again and again... feels too volatile, and frankly too scary, to separate from the very real violence committed by young men like Joaquin Phoenix's Arthur Fleck in America almost every day.

--------

Goodness.
Ugh kill me

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Professional Reviewers who review the movie outside it's quality and grade it low because they think it will inspire incels to kill are on the forever ignore list as they showcase they don't review the movie but make social commentary and apply it to every movie they have ever seen. They might be even influenced then if they like or dislike a director or a cast member

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Professional Reviewers who review the movie outside it's quality and grade it low because they think it will inspire incels to kill are on the forever ignore list as they showcase they don't review the movie but make social commentary and apply it to every movie they have ever seen. They might be even influenced then if they like or dislike a director or a cast member

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, that tut-tutting is not going to age gracefully. In time it's going to look like the pearl-clutching moral panic against metal music in the 80s and gangster rap in the 90s.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah it's disappointing but not surprising. I'm very curious to see where the review aggregates are gonna end up.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
A critic I called a fucking idiot, irl because he was being a dick to a mutual friend, didn't like this The Joker so now I will feel even better if it does win some awards

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I hate this genre of review that's like "we can't endorse this movie because some people MAY take the wrong idea from it". Corniest shit ever.

anyway looks like another screening just ended:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Oh boy

I can't wait for people's point of reference for mental illness to be the fucking Joker.
Sometimes untreated mental illness leads to horrific results, we've seen it time and time again. There's of course a lot more to mental illnesses than being homicidal (I hoped people knew this already), which in no way means that the darkest aspects couldn't or shouldn't be explored in film. They absolutely should. And I hope that this movie sparked discussion about mental health treatment and resources, rather than if movies cause mass shootings (which has been happening instead). First one is important discussion, second one is probably waste of time.

Last edited:

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This movie is going to damage talk about destigmatizing mental illness. I'm sure it's good but I'm not looking forward to that.

How can you say that unless you've seen it already? (If you have then disregard)

It could be that it sheds a light on how mental illness can occur/affect people and how drastically it can change someone. That would be a great thing, even if conveyed in a dark manner (because it in itself can be a dark topic).

Oh boy

I can't wait for people's point of reference for mental illness to be the fucking Joker.

Better than it continuing on as it has been (IE completely ignored and/or misunderstood).

Hell, the isolation that comes from mental illness can itself be the springboard into violent tendencies (maybe this movie touches on that?).

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not usually into very violent films unless its aliens, zombies and the supernatural but these impressions about this movie being worrying is making me very interested in seeing what all the fuss is about.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RT Scores at the moment.

• All Critics: 81%
  • Average Rating: 8.44/10
  • Total Count: 59
  • Fresh: 48
  • Rotten: 11

• Top Critics: 38%
  • Average Rating: 7.2/10