• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I certainly don't mind the design, I don't think it's ugly necessarily, but it's certainly not attractive or imaginative. It's just a plain black box with a slot. I'll be getting a PS5 and a Series X eventually, but the PS5 design is the only one that excites me. Series X looks boring, but hey, function over form.

The Dreamcast is still the best-looking console to-date.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
It looks so good that I wanna buy it ... rip it's guts out and put in a PC.

Very similar to one of Corsair's cases.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
While the Xbox is inoffensive and simple, the PS5 is frankly embarrassing. Aesthetics don't really matter much but I know which one I'd prefer on my entertainment stand.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
If you can fit a Switch in your entertainment center, this will fit fine horizontally. At least it's not freakishly garish like the PS5.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Illicits about the same feeling I have towards the Xbox brand; indifference.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
So then why is something built entirely around a round fan so square? There are absolutely design choices here that go beyond pure function.

611%2B0NupwHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Do we think MS is using off the shelf fans with molex connectors?

You can see how the console is build in the DF video, it seems a cube tower was actually the best cooling solution for them.

There's other videos on it I think. You don't have to like the design but it seems it really was made with performance in mind.

I'm a PC user so I like it.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Probably one of my favorite console designs, to be honest. Up there with PS2 Slim, Fat PS3 BC, 360 Elite, X1X.

Good stuff, MS. A lot of power in a modestly sized box.

Oct 27, 2017
So then why is something built entirely around a round fan so square? There are absolutely design choices here that go beyond pure function.
Because disc drives and motherboards are flat and define the minimum dimensions. I'd prefer something boring and compact with good airflow over a design that looks more out there at the cost size and airflow.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm 40, the last thing I need is someone to notice my ps5 before they notice my 70" tv when walking in the door.

i want things to blend into the entertainment center.

You mean you don't have this furniture in your house?
This would distract them away from a PS5.
Although it might also attract the police as you would probably look like a low level Russian gangster
Efyoq-GXYAAysS3

Efyoq-BXYAI87b5

Efyoq96XkAEPFdB

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 40, the last thing I need is someone to notice my ps5 before they notice my 70" tv when walking in the door.

i want things to blend into the entertainment center.

Two different philosophies here. Series X is built to blend in with your entertainment center. A lot of people may not even notice you have one. PS5 is built to stand out and is obnoxious on purpose bringing the focus back to the hardware itself, not the software/services.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I like it. I really don't think it's bland, it's very distinctively different to all other consoles but without being flashy.