c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
You are right (/j). Lego always has a big instruction manual...
I am right. If anything goes wrong with LEGO you just dismantle and rebuild. It's pretty much stress-free, even for someone who has never used LEGO before. It's a toy to be played with; you can forgo that instruction manual and build whatever you want, carefree. The same can't be said for building a PC, which needs more planning and the handling of delicate and expensive components when in the process of building the thing and because of those factors, might be very stressful for someone who has never built one before.

I know people like to emphasise that anyone can do it, which they can, but you could do it in a less misleading fashion I think!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I am right. If anything goes wrong with LEGO you just dismantle and rebuild. It's pretty much stress-free, even for someone who has never used LEGO before. It's a toy to be played with; you can forgo that instruction manual and build whatever you want, carefree. The same can't be said for building a PC, which needs more planning and the handling of delicate and expensive components when in the process of building the thing and because of those factors, might be very stressful for someone who has never built one before.

I know people like to emphasise that anyone can do, which they can, but you could do it in a less misleading fashion I think!
The lego analogy is a lot to do with people posturing how easy it is for THEM, I think.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I know people like to emphasise that anyone can do, which they can, but you could do it in a less misleading fashion I think!

I watched a 20min youtube video and replicated what he did. It is extremely easy.

No no no. See this quoted post and it's exactly like this. People are just afraid because they think they can easily break things. Breaking a graphics card or a motherboard is more difficult than some people might think. People putting the CPU socket wrong even though there are arrows showing how you are suppose to do it...well maybe take a breather and look a bit at your components. Also you can also break adult lego not even speaking about the lego tech department.

I mean it's this:

- put your budget into a one of those sites many people posted here
- order those things
- look up a Youtube video with lots of views and recommendations or just type that into google and you get the building order
- do the building order and put a bit of pressure for the CPU fan
- try to turn it on, realize you miss the mainboard pins for being able to start your computer
- fiddle around with those little shit sticks (or you have a modern motherboard which is a single stick and even easier)
- ???
- ignore cable management
- enjoy

rostad

Oct 27, 2017
Im 31 and built my first pc ever in a sff case. Watched a bunch of youtube but it did take me 2 days from assembly to get it to boot.

It's not that hard and I've never looked inside a pc before.

Last edited:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
If you are one that is good with their hands at electronics. It's pretty easy. Especially with all the guides online now its even easy for a novice that just wants a good personally built PC.

Components are much more resistant to being shorted from static. There's videos online of people trying to short parts with static and it still works fine. Parts are pretty easy to understand what goes where once you follow instructions

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
My first build ever took me only something like 2 hours. I watched YouTube videos prior and during the process.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
just putting it together is not really hard at all. when it doesn't boot / boot loop or need trouble shooting is where it gets a bit hard lol

I had this kind of problem with my two PCs I built.
No idea how I made then work.

And I had a black screen when switching my GPU.

Putting pieces together is ok. Fixing random problems can give a headache.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
No no no. See this quoted post and it's exactly like this. People are just afraid because they think they can easily break things. Breaking a graphics card or a motherboard is more difficult than some people might think. People putting the CPU socket wrong even though there are arrows showing how you are suppose to do it...well maybe take a breather and look a bit at your components. Also you can also break adult lego not even speaking about the lego tech department.

I mean it's this:

- put your budget into a one of those sites many people posted here
- order those things
- look up a Youtube video with lots of views and recommendations or just type that into google and you get the building order
- do the building order and put a bit of pressure for the CPU fan
- try to turn it on, realize you miss the mainboard pins for being able to start your computer
- fiddle around with those little shit sticks (or you have a modern motherboard which is a single stick and even easier)
- ???
- ignore cable management
- enjoy
That's nothing like LEGO. That's my issue here. Make you point that it's not as hard as one might think but stop comparing it to LEGO.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's nothing like LEGO. That's my issue here. Make you point that it's not as hard as one might think but stop comparing it to LEGO.
People usually say, "adult LEGOs". Adult being the key operator here. Because it's about as complex as regular LEGOs would be to children. But you're not a child, so scale up the complexity accordingly and you have PC building.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I feel like people on this thread are vastly understating how hard it is to build a PC if you've never done it before. There are so ways it can go south of you aren't careful. Messing up steps like paste or shield, scraping the board (hope you have a magnetic screwdriver OP), bending pins, dropping parts, causing static, installing incompatible parts, troubleshooting dud parts, the list goes on, and the quickest slip can mean you've lost hundreds of dollars and/or hours of your time. With Lego you can throw the pieces on the ground and it doesn't matter, it's not even comparable.

You have to try really hard to fuck up.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Like lego with electronics. Just watch some yt videos.
I'd add that cable management is also very important though. Something you don't have to worry about with Lego, and something a lot of people neglect.

Too easy for a cable to fall against a CPU/GPU fan if you don't route and tie them up correctly. Also helps with heat.

Probably the most challenging thing about building a PC in my experience is often fitting a high-end cooler to your CPU. The stock coolers are easy to fit, but the high end ones can be seriously fiddly, which can then cause other issues if they take up a lot of space when trying to fit other components etc.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People usually say, "adult LEGOs". Adult being the key operator here. Because it's about as complex as regular LEGOs would be to children. But you're not a child, so scale up the complexity accordingly and you have PC building.
Even adult lego is a poor analogy, and most people ITT are not saying "adult" so I don't think people usually do.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Think of it as LEGO.

BUT! this is big, and something I've seen happen. Keep a guide upon your phone, and unless it tells you to force something, DO NOT FORCE IT.

I've seen people pull the tabs out of RAM slots, and an entire mounting plate off of a GPU because they just pulled.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The only intimidating thing - and I wonder why we still not have a better way - is to put the CPU into the socket and applying thermal paste.
Shit was straight up never changed for some fucking reason. The rest is basically plug and play.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This a super beginner mistake I once did many years ago that I think needs to be stressed OP.
This seems like such a "no shit, sherlock" moment until you realize that beginners probably don't know about it.. Although you really should read the MB manual.

Building a PC is easy-er said than done. Like the example above, most of us that have build systems and it's more like second nature. So we kinda forget to talk about the most basic things.

The gist of building a system is 3 fold..
  1. Familirize yourself with the components.. And yes you can do that before buying anything. Watch youtube videos where components go, read a manual (most Motherboard, Case manufactures have manuals online), look at pictures of motherboards, graphic cards, memory. Just check how for example something needs to be orientated (memory, cpu, cooler ).
  2. Look up how airflow works and how people tidy their systems. Is it absolutely necessary, no. It just makes for a cleaner and cooler system...so perhaps it is little bit important :)
  3. When putting in Memory/GPU/Sound card you can put more pressure on it than you think. Just don't be a idiot and try to jam it in.
Side note: Before building anything, visualize in what order you are going to build your system. Now my method might not be "beginner" proof. How can it be? It's been 30 years that i build my first system and i have the confidence in it that i probably skip steps that i shouldn't.
My method: First, depending on what kind of cooler i got and how much space there is in the case, i start with the motherboard, cpu and cooler. Depending on if there is enough space in the case and screw holes not being on annoying places i might put my memory sticks in. Then put everything in the case.​
If i am going to use a AIO cooler my process is going to be a different than i wrote about above. First putting motherboard into the case and going from there.​
Although i might seem intimidating, with proper care and a bit of time and research. It is going to be alright and it will be easier than you thought :)

Last edited:

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
People usually just say "LEGO", no distinction. I played with LEGO extensively as a child (back in the 1980s) and I don't remember it being in anyway hard or complicated, just fun. The Technic LEGO (I think it was called?) was more complicated but still not in anyway like building a PC.

It was a toy, designed to ignite the imagination to build whatever you want - again, nothing like building a PC. Maybe LEGO has changed since I last played with it. :\

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Not that hard, but not as easy as some say unless everything goes perfect. There is a possibility that a part is defective.

Also getting it to look amazing like all those PC photos people like to post requires good cable management which can take a bit of practice.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
I've done it before with my current PC but I can't be bothered doing it again. I would rather choose the components and pay someone else to build it.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I built my first computer when I was around 12 years old, it looks daunting but you're literally just plugging things in

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On a scale of 1 to 100, it can be either a 2, or "mother of all fuck I just ruined a 1K USD GPU I'll go to BestBuy and flip it for a new one". All depending on how willing you are to actively listen and accept information given by outside sources such as videos and user guides.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's super easy, but not as intuitive as many would have you believe.

Dive into the hobby, consume as many "build" videos as you can, understand the compatibility between parts and then get going.

As with all things though, expect to make mistakes, people rarely get anything right on their first try.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I remember my most recent PC build. I got all the parts, assembled them in a couple of hours, and hit the power button... nothing. I checked it out, saw that it was all correctly installed, and tried again. Nothing.

Hmm. Took it all out the case, stripped it back to the essentials and tried powering it on again. Still nothing. It was only then that I realised one of my RAM sticks wasn't properly inserted. Fixed that up and it powered on fine, and has been working ever since.

It's not quite LEGO/Ikea easy, but it is much easier to do today then it was two decades back (I also built a PC then and that was pretty fun.) Parts are trivially compatible and you can check this before purchase, and there's a wealth of tutorials and instruction videos available. If you're reasonably switched on and have a second screen (laptop, tablet, phone) available it's perfectly doable. Just take your time and try to be confident when putting stuff in, which I know can be hard when you're holding over a thousand pounds worth of kit. There's even a good thread for this stuff on ERA.

www.resetera.com

The PC Builders Thread ("I Need a New PC") v3 PC - Tech - OT

Welcome to the PC Builders Thread, where we talk about computer hardware! Whether you're upgrading your existing computer, want to build a new one, have a question, or just like talking about computers in general - we've got you covered! Now with even more ARGB! CPUs: BUY (5/2023) Best: Ryzen...

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a hassle, when I was young I build pc all the time and people actually pay me to setup pc and such. But now with 9 to 5 jobs along with business and family, I just pay other people to build my pc. I just switch to console since it's much more efficient, just press a button and you can continue playing from rest mode. I still play from PC for Civ and check gamepass games

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Building it is not that difficult. Most things involve a screw and/or pushing something into something.

That being said if you have never done it, it can be a lot to learn, especially picking the right parts to work with each other. A good first run might be better using a solid youtube or website that guides you through it in detail and helps you decide which parts to get as well. You don't want to buy a case to find out it isn't big enough to fit your long gfx card, buy a power supply that isn't the output you need or doesn't have the right plugs, socket the cpu wrong and damage it when you put on the cooling solution, etc.

Once you have done it, it is pretty easy to do again, but don't assume it is as easy as many people represent. There is a long list of things you could do to mess up the part selection and installation. There are good resources to help avoid most of that though, so if you spend the time and educate yourself, it isn't that hard to do.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
None of it is hard except for putting on the cooler. Even my Ryzen 2700x cooler was a BITCH to put on. Felt like I was gonna break the damn thing.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I remember my most recent PC build. I got all the parts, assembled them in a couple of hours, and hit the power button... nothing. I checked it out, saw that it was all correctly installed, and tried again. Nothing.

Hmm. Took it all out the case, stripped it back to the essentials and tried powering it on again. Still nothing. It was only then that I realised one of my RAM sticks wasn't properly inserted. Fixed that up and it powered on fine, and has been working ever since.

It's not quite LEGO/Ikea easy, but it is much easier to do today then it was two decades back (I also built a PC then and that was pretty fun.) Parts are trivially compatible and you can check this before purchase, and there's a wealth of tutorials and instruction videos available. If you're reasonably switched on and have a second screen (laptop, tablet, phone) available it's perfectly doable. Just take your time and try to be confident when putting stuff in, which I know can be hard when you're holding over a thousand pounds worth of kit. There's even a good thread for this stuff on ERA.

www.resetera.com

The PC Builders Thread ("I Need a New PC") v3 PC - Tech - OT

Welcome to the PC Builders Thread, where we talk about computer hardware! Whether you're upgrading your existing computer, want to build a new one, have a question, or just like talking about computers in general - we've got you covered! Now with even more ARGB! CPUs: BUY (5/2023) Best: Ryzen...
This.^ Very good post.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
It's advanced LEGO. It is easy BUT you will most likely get frustrated at some point. It's important to just keep a cool head. Take breaks if needed.
Lay out all the components beforehand on a suitable surface.
It makes sense to write down each individual step and put them in order. If you just start without thinking about the steps,
you are going to add components that you have to remove later because they block something. Some components require force because the dimensions can be tight. Not too much force though, it's a fine line. You will drop screws inside the case and will curse while trying to get them out.
You will be stressed out by dropping the CPU in the socket. Cable management needs to be thought about as well. Depending on your case you need to get the cables in check before mounting the mainboard. You will wonder how hard you have to push RAM sticks for them to move into place. You will look at a million posts how to apply thermal paste the "right" way.

My first build took twice as long because I was constantly putting in and removing components again because I didn't think about it properly.
As with all things in life: It takes practice. It's quite difficult to actually break something. Just go for it.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
It'll take a couple hours and some YT guides. My first solo build the PC wouldn't power up and i had no clue why so i slept on it til the next day. Stripped it down and rebuilt it the next day which fixed the problem somehow.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that hard, but it's probably harder than gamers on the internet and r/buildapc would want you to believe. Attaching the cooler can oftentimes be a pain in the butt, and as a newbie you'll probably be perma-anxious about bending the CPU pins and whatnot. That said, I'd definitely recommend using online ressources to assemble a PC instead of paying hundreds of bucks more for a pre-build machine with the same specs.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
It's never been easier. There are thousands of walkthroughs online, and it's as simple as paint by numbers. Even the little things have been fool-proofed, such as Ryzen coolers having the thermal paste pre-applied.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Screws go in screw holes, plugs and connectors are all shaped to fit a single socket type.
The hardest thing is usually getting the LED connectors right in that awkward socket that hasn't changed since the 486 days.

It used to be awkward, with master/client connections, matched memory, IRQs, identical connectors, etc, but that's a solved problem now.

Go for it, and don't be afraid to double check stuff if you are unsure.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the anxiety of doing it is way out of proportion with the difficulty, but if it is your first time then just give yourself a solid block of a few hours where you won't be distracted, take it nice and slow, watch a YouTube video or two on it, and you 100% can build your own PC. It can be tricky but I don't think there's any blocker that would mean anyone who can follow instructions and deal with some very small and fiddly screws couldn't do it.

Also, use the PC builders thread here as a resource, it is very helpful. I got lots of advice on what parts to pick.

Oct 28, 2017
Really the "hardest" part is mounting the CPU to the motherboard. But if you do it slowly and carefully, it's a breeze.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
So I've been trying to get a PC for the past month. I know bad timing but I'm at home and want to build up my portfolio while I'm furloughed. Anyway I tried to order from Alienware then after 3 weeks they canceled my order. I tried to order from NZXT but it got canceled after 3 days... So I think I'm going to say fuck it and build one myself.

Im intimated as fuck though at the thought of building a PC. So I'm just wondering how hard is it really. I'm not a rocket scientist or anything but I consider myself smart enough haha. I wasn't to big into legos and was never really a mechanic but I can build BBQ'S and Chairs with ease at my job. Anyway would you recommend I build my own and become a true PC master or should I stick with my original plan and find a prebuilt?
Not all you got this, watch a couple build guides from LinusTechTips and Paul's hardware, there are many other good ones too but those two guys are both very beginner user friendly and will walk you through it all very understandably

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Really the "hardest" part is mounting the CPU to the motherboard. But if you do it slowly and carefully, it's a breeze.
Honestly even that isn't hard anymore. Most CPU coolers come with the thermal paste (the only part people historically ever really messed up) pre-applied these days. Just gotta have a somewhat steady hand. Peel paste cover, press down, screw down, done.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
I had this kind of problem with my two PCs I built.
No idea how I made then work.

And I had a black screen when switching my GPU.

Putting pieces together is ok. Fixing random problems can give a headache.
I had a problem booting up my PC after building it. I freaked out a bit, but the solution was I just had to take the CMOS battery out and put it back in again lol.

The hardest part when building a PC for me was putting together the CPU fan and putting it on my CPU.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly even that isn't hard anymore. Most CPU coolers come with the thermal paste (the only part people historically ever really messed up) pre-applied these days. Just gotta have a somewhat steady hand. Peel paste cover, press down, screw down, done.
The heatsink can be tricky, though.

My 2700x came with a Prism cooler, at the time I bought it, there was literally no tutorial online for how to clamp it in and the box had incredibly vague instructions. The way I thought it was supposed to go felt like I was going to break it by applying the pressure needed to click it in place. After building so many PCs over the years, I'm no stranger to how the pressure you need to apply can feel like too much... but this was a new level.

I did eventually just go for it, and it worked, but this was mostly because I had experience with this. A person doing it for the first time... I'm sure many wouldn't have been able to convince themselves to push as hard as I needed to.

This isn't true for all parts, ofc, but it is something you could run into pretty easily as a new builder and it can be pretty stressful to deal with even with experience.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
The hardest part is actually buying parts that are compatible. With today's resources even that is pretty easy. Thermal paste can be a pain if you don't do research.

Even watercooling is so much easier these days unless you're going with a crazy custom rig.

The cases are much better now about cable management, motherboards are cleaner and there so many safety features that messing up is kind of difficult.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's fairly easy to figure out, but sometimes cables are either too long and are difficult to manage or too short and are difficult to plug in.

Basically, it will almost certainly all be worth it in the end, but you may need to bring excess patience and/or bandages with you.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
It's like anything else, do a bit of research and take your time to make it right the first time out and you'll be fine.

You could boil baking down to mixing stuff in a bowl and putting it in the over. That's essentially what it is, but if you've not checked properly what goes with what and how to do it, you won't end up with a cake. Same with PC building, just watch a video or two and make sure your bits work together and you'll be fine.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
People saying Lego are understating it, model car is closer. The motherboard has a shit ton of plugins that look the same, at least on mine. Everything else isn't too bad. I find the hardest part being finding all the parts and making sure they're compatible.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The heatsink can be tricky, though.

My 2700x came with a Prism cooler, at the time I bought it, there was literally no tutorial online for how to clamp it in and the box had incredibly vague instructions. The way I thought it was supposed to go felt like I was going to break it by applying the pressure needed to click it in place. After building so many PCs over the years, I'm no stranger to how the pressure you need to apply can feel like too much... but this was a new level.

I did eventually just go for it, and it worked, but this was mostly because I had experience with this. A person doing it for the first time... I'm sure many wouldn't have been able to convince themselves to push as hard as I needed to.

This isn't true for all parts, ofc, but it is something you could run into pretty easily as a new builder and it can be pretty stressful to deal with even with experience.
I agree. Tricky, but not hard.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Tricky, but not hard.
Tricky is hard for some, though... that's the point why making generalizations like this isn't really helpful. And why the "lego" type analogies are more about the person saying "it's easy for me" than anything.

It is not hard for you, but someone who is more anxious and prone to stress could find it very difficult.