southwest

Sep 15, 2022
you forgot about the big dawg

(amusingly at least a couple of those movies were clearly chasing after Avatar)
How on earth are you including Avatar on that list? Good reviews and massive box office success. That shit ain't cursed at all, it's blessed.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How on earth are you including Avatar on that list? Good reviews and massive box office success. That shit ain't cursed at all, it's blessed.
What I'm saying is Avatar is proof that concept isn't all that cursed I guess lol

Most of those movies are just not good.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
32 meta... this is getting close to not even being worth a half arsed watch for the visuals. Fucking hell Zack, can you hire a god damn writer already.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
awesome, this guy is such a rich vein of comedy for The Flop House podcast - can't wait to listen to that episode

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
its such an awful looking movie from the trailers, just a green screen fest with a mismatch of aesthetics and styles, like bad video game FMV from the 90s.

If thats all its got going for it then oof.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
It looks like 5 different films mashed together.

This means I will watch it at some point.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This reception is certainly below the middling one I expected based on the trailer.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
you forgot about the big dawg

(amusingly at least a couple of those movies were clearly chasing after Avatar)

Yeah you got a point. Maybe because Avatar actually feels like it's having fun with itself even with the overt themes while all the other movies feel pretty dour about themselves.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Apparently the movie has sexual assault in it based on the MPAA rating... is this the follow-up to his comment about Batman in prison?

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
The previews were pretty unremarkable. Snyder's films at least have good trailers sometimes.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I love the way he feels somehow entitled to have four-hour versions of his movies by default now.

Buddy, work on making a coherent two-hour movie first, like everyone else.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
While I do not seriously think Zack Snyder should be stopped from making films, it continues to baffle me how this guy keeps getting tens of millions dollars to make films that are consistently considered to be among the worst to be released in their release year when so many much more talented filmmakers are struggling to find funding.

Like, surely at some point these studios have to look at the reviews and general response and think: why are we investing so heavily in this guy?

I think you will get a kick out of this article about another Netflix project:
ca.finance.yahoo.com

The Strange $55 Million Saga of a Netflix Series You’ll Never See

Near the height of the streaming boom in 2018, a half-dozen studios and video platforms lined up to woo a little-known filmmaker named Carl Erik Rinsch. He had directed only one movie, “47 Ronin.” It was a commercial and critical dud, and Rinsch’s tussles with its producers had raised eyebrows...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
While I do not seriously think Zack Snyder should be stopped from making films, it continues to baffle me how this guy keeps getting tens of millions dollars to make films that are consistently considered to be among the worst to be released in their release year when so many much more talented filmmakers are struggling to find funding.

Like, surely at some point these studios have to look at the reviews and general response and think: why are we investing so heavily in this guy?
Maybe he worked with the robots to betray the humans and got put back in the Matrix as a movie director.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Things may change if Netflix and these other studios/streamers start cutting on spending, but to this point I think the appeal was that he works quick and on budget and is a name, and delivers movies that seem to have a high profile (mostly due to his name). He does have a "distinct" visual style to this point as well. I think thats probably right in the wheel house for someone like Netflix who is just looking for eyeballs on screens. But again business models change.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Saw a comment somewhere that was like...

It's funny that Max Landis saw Bright as being his Star Wars, whereas Zack Snyder's rejected Star Wars has inadvertently become his Bright.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently the movie has sexual assault in it based on the MPAA rating... is this the follow-up to his comment about Batman in prison?
I've watched all Snyder films, I think every single one of them either contains a rape scene or alludes to rape.

Hell, even his kids owl movie has some suspect sexual shit.

guise

Jan 1, 2018
After Army of the Dead i'm not going to bother wasting my time giving Snyder the benefit of the doubt and trust the reviews this time.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Is Part 2 already shot? If not they might want to get rid of the Part 1 from the title.
I think it was supposed to be one movie and they made the decision to split it in two a couple of months ago because it was reaching like 5 hours in length or something.

Part 2 is coming unless Netflix does a Zaslav.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
The dude has only done 2 movies worth of shit and none recently. He's almost at Micheal Bay's level at this point.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Serious sci fi adventure with inventive visuals might be the most cursed movie sub genre outside Dune

Jupiter Ascending
Valerian
After Earth
Prometheus duology
Elysium
Oblivion
John Carter
Cloud Atlas

Yeah I always joke that if I was a cold hearted exec I would never greenlight a single "big" sci-fi movie, they're expensive and the hit rate is terrible.

Cloud Atlas is great though, aside from the uh, unfortunate makeup.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i wonder if the game will be better then the movie lol

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I for one, cannot wait for the PhD tier explanations how this is an actual masterpiece with deep symbolism.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
The trailers for Rebel Moon looks absolutely hideous too.

Snyder basically eliminated the one thing he had going for himself.
Yeah, I'm not understanding the posts saying, "will watch for the visuals!" Unless Snyder has panels from a comic to crib from, most of his films look pretty drab.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"Action scenes are serviceable enough but rarely exciting, pumped up with Snyder's usual tool kit of speed-ramping and slo-mo. But there's a grimy aesthetic to the movie that becomes ugly and tiresome (the director took on the DP role himself)"

Don't let this man be the DP.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
"Action scenes are serviceable enough but rarely exciting, pumped up with Snyder's usual tool kit of speed-ramping and slo-mo. But there's a grimy aesthetic to the movie that becomes ugly and tiresome (the director took on the DP role himself)"

Don't let this man be the DP.
I wonder if he used a broken camera again