• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
This trailer just looks bad, and it probably has the best bits. I expect the movie to be a miserable slog.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
The Evil Empire can just….. glass the whole planet safely from orbit or carpet bomb this small shitty village with zero air defense. All these elements have already been established in the first awful movie…

And they're doing an invasion just for fucking wheat.

lmao

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
All the characters were pretty well-defined, even though none of them got extensive backstories, they acted like they had them. As cheesy as the movie is, it never got in its own way when it came to trying to at least make the cheese entertaining.
Yeah, I wouldn't say Battle Beyond The Stars is some great film or even necessarily a great cash-in/ripoff, but it works, and it works in the very meat-and-potatoes way these genre flicks have to and Rebel Moon fails at. Simplicity and clarity of story, streamlined to the bone, and, most importantly, the characters. Even though they are slight they are instantly there, instantly whole, and most of them have one of the greatest qualities a character can have: you wish you could watch another film with them. The fact we never got a Gelt spinoff is criminal.

Meanwhile, Snyder took the same hoary concept and muddied it to hell, slowed it to a crawl, and populated it with the least impactful characters to ever grace a team of badasses. He managed to craft a film where Doona Bae with lightsabers was uninteresting,

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I watched the trailer of the first movie so I assume I have all the context needed right? 🤣
Looks really generic and the fake lightsabers don't help. Ill wait for the extended editions to watch both back to back and fully embrace the B-movie spectacle.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The Evil Empire can just….. glass the whole planet safely from orbit or carpet bomb this small shitty village with zero air defense. All these elements have already been established in the first awful movie…

lmao
You see, the galaxy spanning empire really needed some supplies of Wheaties from this little village or else their expedition would starve.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

lmao
The first movie's ending also established the evil emperor wants Sofia Boutella's character alive.

I mean, I dunno, it seems just as believable as a bunch of ragtag rebels blowing up a planet destroying moon because of an outer design flaw.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
All I want for Snyder is to turn off his slow mo setting lmao. Like just let it play damn it.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Remember

Ft-rhi3XsAAeJHj.jpg
But I've already seen the first one now. Gotta sunk cost fallacy the fuck out of this.

Oct 27, 2017
They took care of all that in Part One (A Child of Fire). Now we can get on to the main course, ACTION!

That's the point though. There are zero group dynamics in the first film and hardly anyone outside of Kora has a defined personality. Seriously; outside of using single word descriptors like 'noble' or 'stoic' can you describe any of the motivations or personalities of the main cast in Part 1? The only other one who has close to a personality is Djimon Hounsou, but that's mostly because for about half the film they're telling us his backstory than trying to show it, or how it affected him, in any meaningful way.

QBiyGZP.png

As someone who hasn't watched the first one yet... Is there a reason this soldier doesn't shoot her from 10-20-30-40 feet? why does he walk up to her with his gun down to get shot?

Because she has to run toward them in slow motion and stylishly execute them, obviously!

I hope it's more than just "training a village to defend itself" storyline, which is done every once in a while.

I'm willing to bet the 10-minute section from IP Man where they defend their factory from the bandits will be more developed and cohesive than this whole film.

God can Ed Skrein stop getting villain roles?
Why couldn't he stay dead in the first movie.

He is just utterly bland (Deadpool, Alita, Rebel Moon)

Yeah, he seems like a nice guy but I am not a fan. I really think if they don't have time or the interest to develop the villain they should have gone with someone physically imposing as the admiral guy (someone like Dave Batista or Rory McCann) so you actually get a sense he's dangerous and there'd be deep shit if he lost his temper. Plus it's not very threatening that the main bad guy in this movie is... the same bad guy she beat 1v1 in the previous movie.

AceStrimmer

Feb 12, 2021
Yeah, I wouldn't say Battle Beyond The Stars is some great film or even necessarily a great cash-in/ripoff, but it works, and it works in the very meat-and-potatoes way these genre flicks have to and Rebel Moon fails at. Simplicity and clarity of story, streamlined to the bone, and, most importantly, the characters. Even though they are slight they are instantly there, instantly whole, and most of them have one of the greatest qualities a character can have: you wish you could watch another film with them. The fact we never got a Gelt spinoff is criminal.

Meanwhile, Snyder took the same hoary concept and muddied it to hell, slowed it to a crawl, and populated it with the least impactful characters to ever grace a team of badasses. He managed to craft a film where Doona Bae with lightsabers was uninteresting,
A million times this.

Corman knew you had to have characters if you had no money so made sure folk remembered the film that way. In the space of one scene, of somebody sat on a throne of his own misery, you got the entirety of that person with the bonus that you were also invested in them!

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
QBiyGZP.png

As someone who hasn't watched the first one yet... Is there a reason this soldier doesn't shoot her from 10-20-30-40 feet? why does he walk up to her with his gun down to get shot?
That entire scene is jaw-droppingly awful - the actors look to be going through their planned choreography rather than acting out a battle. Maybe it would look less terrible with copious amounts of slow motion?

In terms of the first one, from what I remember the set-piece fight in the barn was pretty bad, and the final battle had a similarly daft "why don't they just shoot them?" moment.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Not having seen the first but aware of the memes and online criticism, I tried going into this trailer with an open mind. I did rather enjoy his cut of Justice League…

So this is just Seven Samurai done in the most banal sci-fi fantasy way huh? Even trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, this story has been told better a zillion times already and this trailer really didn't seem to offer anything interesting. Even the action looked rather mundane despite the obvious visual expense.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It took me over 5 sessions to be able to finish the first one. Such an unpleasant experience. And the only time I've ever voted thumbs down on a movie so far.

Yeah, I will pass on this one.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
I'm down to watch this but having to wait another 5 months for the extended versions is ridiculous.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I'm down to watch this but having to wait another 5 months for the extended versions is ridiculous.

Especially since he probably had free reign to do what he wants with this, meaning having his vision realized from the start and not do another directors cut marketing cycle bullshit.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
So this is coming out in like 4 days apparently.

I guess I'll see this through

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess everyone's just waiting for that Juicy review thread at this point considering how discussion of this just disappeared a few days after this trailer launched.

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure I'm not the only person to make the comparison, but I just realized this is just 7 Samurai [eyeroll] Also why in the beginning of the trailer is the guy with the light saber not striking at the lady killing everyone. Also Light sabers? [eyeroll]

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So this is coming out in like 4 days apparently.

I guess I'll see this through
yeah noticed it also. We got one trailer and its releasing in two days.
I think it will be fine. As main marketing will be done for part 1 and then when part 2 arrives people just see it on netflix again in top 10 and trending etc.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
www.theguardian.com

Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver review – Zack Snyder’s bombastically fun sequel

The divisive director’s sci-fi follow-up is both original and derivative and will be unlikely to convert anyone, but there’s something charming about its sincerity

3 out of 5 stars from The Guardian. But not much kinder in the text.

Rebel Moon almost certainly didn't need to be two multiple-cut movies. It probably could have gotten by as zero. But as a playground for Snyder's favorite bits of speed-ramping, shallow-focusing and pulp thievery, it's harmless, sometimes pleasingly weird fun. (That said, the first part is better and weirder.)
Ouch.

The Scargiver essentially ends with another extended sequel tease, this time for a movie that stands a decent chance of never happening
Burn.

I'm going to find some time to watch this in the next month or so. But the thought of how both movies together is already a 4 hour affair, and there being an extended cut coming out in the future.... I'm not sure if I can survive this.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this feels like a parody, like the fake action movie you see inside of another movie. Hell "the scargiver" is just a tryhard name lol

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Scargiver sounds like a third-rate tattoo parlor everyone stayed away from, is that supposed to sound badass?

If someone's kind enough to trawl through the lore please share with the class how giving scars(?) to people have significance in this world, like culturally or what not lol

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Scargiver sounds like a third-rate tattoo parlor everyone stayed away from, is that supposed to sound badass?

If someone's kind enough to trawl through the lore please share with the class how giving scars(?) to people have significance in this world, like culturally or what not lol
I don't think it's too hard to understand, even if it's stupid. You get a scar when you get cut. So a scargiver would be someone who in theory cuts a lot of people up. Hence... scargiver.

But if you think about it, if the intent is to kill people with a sharp weapon, then a scargiver is pretty shitty because it would refer to a person who successfully cuts a lot of people but fails to kill them. Hence Scargiver, and not Corpsemaker. Lmao!!!

Idk, I don't care. Hope that makes sense.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
How much slo-mo is in this? RT is only tracking four reviews right now and one of them has a blurb for it that mentions that Snyder's finally slid into self-parody with its usage in this.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
I don't think it's too hard to understand, even if it's stupid. You get a scar when you get cut. So a scargiver would be someone who in theory cuts a lot of people up. Hence... scargiver.

But if you think about it, if the intent is to kill people with a sharp weapon, then a scargiver is pretty shitty because it would refer to a person who successfully cuts a lot of people but fails to kill them. Hence Scargiver, and not Corpsemaker. Lmao!!!

Idk, I don't care. Hope that makes sense.
No I got the literal meaning yeah, but why is it significant in-universe? So is the protagonist just a sadist mutilating people everywhere she goes?

Probably a waste of time thinking too hard about a lame nickname though I agree lol

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver review – Zack Snyder’s bombastically fun sequel

The divisive director’s sci-fi follow-up is both original and derivative and will be unlikely to convert anyone, but there’s something charming about its sincerity

3 out of 5 stars from The Guardian. But not much kinder in the text.

Ouch.

Burn.

I'm going to find some time to watch this in the next month or so. But the thought of how both movies together is already a 4 hour affair, and there being an extended cut coming out in the future.... I'm not sure if I can survive this.

What the fuck at them saying the first part that was essentially a buildup to this second part is somehow better

This is going to be terrible

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
No I got the literal meaning yeah, but why is it significant in-universe? So is the protagonist just a sadist mutilating people everywhere she goes?

Probably a waste of time thinking too hard about a lame nickname though I agree lol
Look, I watched the first movie and I can't tell you who the "child of fire" in the subtitle actually is either. I assume it's the main character but there's nothing in the film that drew attention to that as far as I recall.