Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I recently bought a BMW 430i gran coupe (last week to be exact) and when test driving a few BMWs I asked the sales person about the touchscreen. He told me that it was a new feature and last year's models did not have a touchscreen but 2018s do. The day I picked up my new car I found out (after I drove off the lot) that the touchscreen wasn't working. I immediately called the salesman and told him and he asked if I could come back to get it checked out. I ended up going back to the store the following day and he tested it out and acknowledged it wasn't working either. He told me to set up an appointment with the service center to get it repaired and I just got a call from them saying that my car doesn't come with a touchscreen and that the 2019 versions will. The thing is the 440i that I drove HAD a touchscreen that worked. I would not have bought this car if I knew it didn't have that feature, I would have opted for the car that did. I just called the salesman again and he said he's gonna look into it and informed me that SOME models don't have a touch but he NEVER TOLD ME THIS, in fact, when I asked him while test driving he said all 2018s had it.

What is my recourse? I love the car but I want the damn touchscreen, it might seem silly but when I know what I want I make damn sure I get exactly what I'm looking for. I don't think I can return the car since it was new so can I make them get me a touchscreen in the car? How should I approach it?

UPDATE 4/4/18

The BMW dealership said that they cannot put a touchscreen in the car for me but they will be giving me $1000 store credit for my troubles and free installation of what I purchase for my car (looking to get some rims). I'll have to live without the touchscreen it seems... Thank you to all of you who gave suggestions and helped out!

Last edited:

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
If the salesman misrepresented the features of the car to you take it back to the dealer and try to get it fixed. They are not required to refund you but they might if you explain the circumstances. Alternately they may give you an upgraded device or a car with the package you want. That's really your only recourse unless you want to pay the dealer or third party to upgrade it.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
In the UK, you are well within your rights to have the car taken back for full refund, ESPECIALLY if what you bought is different to what you were told it was going to be. Not sure how that law works in whatever country you're in though. Surely you have rights to get it upgraded/changed?

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I recently bought a BMW 430i gran coupe (last week to be exact) and when test driving a few BMWs I asked the sales person about the touchscreen. He told me that it was a new feature and last year's models did not have a touchscreen but 2018s do. The day I picked up my new car I found out (after I drove off the lot) that the touchscreen wasn't working. I immediately called the salesman and told him and he asked if I could come back to get it checked out. I ended up going back to the store the following day and he tested it out and acknowledged it wasn't working either. He told me to set up an appointment with the service center to get it repaired and I just got a call from them saying that my car doesn't come with a touchscreen and that the 2019 versions will. The thing is the 440i that I drove HAD a touchscreen that worked. I would not have bought this car if I knew it didn't have that feature, I would have opted for the car that did. I just called the salesman again and he said he's gonna look into it and informed me that SOME models don't have a touch but he NEVER TOLD ME THIS, in fact, when I asked him while test driving he said all 2018s had it.

What is my recourse? I love the car but I want the damn touchscreen, it might seem silly but when I know what I want I make damn sure I get exactly what I'm looking for. I don't think I can return the car since it was new so can I make them get me a touchscreen in the car? How should I approach it?
What are the laws in your state? Maybe you have 3 days or something to return the car. How long ago have you had it?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
First things first don't ever say another word to the sales person and immediately talk to management at the dealership and tell them they are a liar and that if you ever have to talk to that person again, you will never do business with them.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First things first don't ever say another word to the sales person and immediately talk to management at the dealership and tell them they are a liar and that if you ever have to talk to that person again, you will never do business with them.

Yes I agree with this. Be open about willing to ruin the reputation of the seller and escalate the situation. If you are able to buy a BMW new, you should have contacts with people that have also bought BMW at the dealer. Drop that information to the manager. The seller is either a scumbag or he is misinformed. In either case he should not have told you false information. It is not your fault.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I will also say that calling BMW of NA is extremely useful to get dealers to do shit. I've done this in the past - I'm looking at you EGR recalls

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Be thankful it isn't a Ford. Fuckers did nothing when my parents had issues with a pickup and the dealership. Franchise blah blah blah.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Hey man, you have every right to go to the dealer and ask for an exchange. You spent a pretty decent penny on that 440i and you should get exactly what you want.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I live in Mass and I have had the car for 10 days now. I am trying to look up the lemon laws but they all see to apply to used cars.

Sounds like you're probably out of luck, short of suing them for false advertising and hoping they settle by taking the car back, I can't think of any course of action.

edit: assuming they refuse to do the right thing, of course.

Hippo_PRIME

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know in some states, the specifics of the contract you sign say something to the effect of only what's written in the actual purchase agreement constitute an enforceable contract and any verbal agreement to is irrelevant.

Hopefully the dealership will step up and take responsibility here. You might check what the Massachusetts law says about purchase agreements. Sorry to hear you had this experience!

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Lemon laws only apply to consistent defects. Try to find what your stats consumer/vehicle protection laws are. I live in GA and we have some of the worst in the country, dealers can pretty much screw you over here and there's nothing you can do about it. Good luck OP.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you have to, be relentless until they give you what you ask for. Be polite but extremely firm and do not let up. You were lied to, and there's absolutely no reason you should not hold them to what they said they would deliver. You paid for a product that is not what was described. If I were in your shoes, I would be a thorn in their side until I was satisfied.

Oct 29, 2017
as someone who worked in a dealership before...salesmen dont know shit. You should always verify the info on your own.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, OP, I have a friend who was faced with the exact same problem you are now with his Series 3, but luckily he spotted it before he drove it off, or I guess signed papers. He raised a stink about it and got the car with the touch screen, but not before he threatened he'd just walk away when they wanted to charge him $1000 extra for the touch, when he pointed out a problem to them. Luxury car dealerships are literally the worst, in my experience.

I don't use the touch screen in my car much, but if you often need to use the navigation, or use the AndroidAuto or Apple CarPlay, you'll definitely regret not having it.

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Salesman probably didn't intentionally lie he just didn't know wtf he was talking about. Talk to management and just say please figure out how I can get the model with the touchscreen. Don't ask if it's possible - tell them to figure it out and let you know what you need to do.

OP
OP
Domcorleone

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, OP, I have a friend who was faced with the exact same problem you are now with his Series 3, but luckily he spotted it before he drove it off, or I guess signed papers. He raised a stink about it and got the car with the touch screen, but not before he threatened he'd just walk away when they wanted to charge him $1000 extra for the touch, when he pointed out a problem to them. Luxury car dealerships are literally the worst, in my experience.

I don't use the touch screen in my car much, but if you often to use need navigation, or use the AndroidAuto or Apple CarPlay, you'll definitely regret not having it.

Yea I use apply CarPlay all the time and it's annoying as fuck not being able to use the touch screen. I'm so mad that I didn't catch it before I left the lot but the salesman had turned on the tire calibration on so I couldn't back out or anything until it completed so I assumed the touch screen would work afterwards SMH. I'm going to pick up the car in an hour or so, I'm going to raise a big stink about it over there. I just don't know what I can threaten them with, they already got my money

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
If they cause problems, call Maura Healey's office and all the local news stations.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Yea I use apply CarPlay all the time and it's annoying as fuck not being able to use the touch screen. I'm so mad that I didn't catch it before I left the lot but the salesman had turned on the tire calibration on so I couldn't back out or anything until it completed so I assumed the touch screen would work afterwards SMH. I'm going to pick up the car in an hour or so, I'm going to raise a big stink about it over there. I just don't know what I can threaten them with, they already got my money
If they won't make good on what was said like any proper dealership should, PR stink is always a way to go, but might be seen as nuclear.

I sure as shit wouldn't accept that shit.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
You bought a 430i because of the touchcreen?

I mean, if it's that important then sure, fight it but to me there's a whole lot more to the 430 then its touchscreen.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I live in Mass and I have had the car for 10 days now. I am trying to look up the lemon laws but they all see to apply to used cars.
These won't help you barter for some nice rims or another add-on. I had touchscreen before now I don't it's not as bad as you think but make a stink they will do anything to avoid going to court or other hassle

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Was this the salesman?

latest

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You didn't test the screen during your test drive?

He drove a 440I and ordered a 430I - The sales person told him the Touchscreen from the 440 was in the 430.

OP, are you ready to pay the price difference to get to the 440? It will be part of any remedy.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I believe it is your right to be able to return but I suppose I disagree that you should return a 50 thousand dollar car you otherwise love because of a touchscreen.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have to contact BMW NA. Also should have talked to the sales manager. You handled this very poorly among just being poorly informed when making an expensive purchase.

OP
OP
Domcorleone

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
He drove a 440I and ordered a 430I - The sales person told him the Touchscreen from the 440 was in the 430.

OP, are you ready to pay the price difference to get to the 440? It will be part of any remedy.

Hmm well the 440i is def a better performer so I'm not opposed to it, however I'd just rather they install a touchscreen into my car I already own. I just need them to try to make this right instead of hand waving me away :-/

OP
OP
Domcorleone

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Have to contact BMW NA. Also should have talked to the sales manager. You handled this very poorly among just being poorly informed when making an expensive purchase.

Well I was pretty informed but doing research showed me that the early models of the 4 series lacked the touchscreen but later models (manufactured after Dec 2017) had the touchscreen. My car was made in Jan 2018. Also I did speak to the sales manager, they said they are going to talk to the salesman and get back to me. I know they know he fucked up because Inhave a loaner car because he told me to go to the service center and get it "fixed". So my story checks out

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I was pretty informed but doing research showed me that the early models of the 4 series lacked the touchscreen but later models (manufactured after Dec 2017) had the touchscreen. My car was made in Jan 2018. Also I did speak to the sales manager, they said they are going to talk to the salesman and get back to me. I know they know he fucked up because Inhave a loaner car because he told me to go to the service center and get it "fixed". So my story checks out

Can you take a pic of your window tag? Blackout the VIN.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it is your right to be able to return but I suppose I disagree that you should return a 50 thousand dollar car you otherwise love because of a touchscreen.

I feel the opposite. If you are going to drop that much on a car, should it not have all the things you requested and were told it had?

OP
OP
Domcorleone

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I feel the opposite. If you are going to drop that much on a car, should it not have all the things you requested and were told it had?

That is my exact sentiment. I've never spent this much on anything before so I feel like to be mislead about this is pretty huge. I literally wouldn't have gotten this particular car if I knew that prior.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is what I was thinking...I thought every car after 2014 had one. Especially a bmw

A lot of luxury cars (many Mercedes-Benz, Lexus, BMW, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, etc.) don't have a touchscreen and instead rely on control knobs placed near the center console. The reasoning is to avoid fingerprints, as well as be able to place the screens in a way where it would be difficult to reach consistently for better aesthetics/"easier" to see. The $130,000+ BMW i8 doesn't even have a touchscreen.

I will say, OP, you should absolutely get what you thought you were getting, but I currently have an Infiniti Q50 with a touchscreen and every time I drive it (and I love it) I wish I had my previous BMW i3's non-touch screen infotainment system. It was so much better after I got used to it, which didn't take long at all.