• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
The Fire Emblem bit is a little bewildering.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia came out in 2017, very late in the 3DS's life. It was a stopgap project for the team after Fates finished but before Three Houses could go into full development. They were already looking toward the Switch for future projects.

Obviously we now know that Three Houses was made mostly by KT, rather than IS, so it's been an open question what the rest of the IS FE team has been working on, but... another 3DS game? I suppose it makes some sense given their limited scope of technical experience compared to KT, but it's still baffling that they wouldn't have moved on to Switch.

In fact, look at this developer quote from an Echoes interview:
Binding Blade was most likely that cancelled 3DS remake since it was a kinda short handheld game.

Hopefully the upcoming Switch one includes Blazing Blade to make it an actual complete story.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So, what's in the still not localized menu for Fire Emblem? Wouldn't that be the priority?

Hey, while we're at it, that's a really nice franchise titled Wars over there. Why not try it again with a remake of those Advance Wars games? People seemed to enjoy them
FE3, but that's unlikely because it got a remake at the very end of the DS' life.
FE4 is a good candidate.
FE5, but that probably won't come until after 4.
FE6 is another good candidate if they want to jump around, but I could see them starting with FE7 since it's first chronologically then doing 6.

If they are skipping around a lot, Tellius is probably also on the table due to Ike's popularity and it's highly requested. I'd expect individual remakes and not a "Radiant Collection" remaster though.

Binding Blade was most likely that cancelled 3DS remake since it was a kinda short handheld game.

Hopefully the upcoming Switch one includes Blazing Blade to make it an actual complete story.
Both are self contained complete stories. The continuity between 6 and 7 is actually really poor, that's something that needs to be addressed if they remake both games. Combining them would probably be too big of a project though unless they were to make cuts.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It was kind of crazy that Nintendo wanted to keep releasing 3DS games. Their last game, Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, was two years after the Switch came out, but they wanted to keep going after that if not for the games bombing and 3DS sales tanking. Granted, most of these games were ports or low effort remakes, only Samus Returns required real effort. But I think Nintendo couldn't give up the idea of developing for two systems like they did for decades, until they were forced to because it made zero business sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Both are self contained complete stories. The continuity between 6 and 7 is actually really poor, that's something that needs to be addressed if they remake both games. Combining them would probably be too big of a project though unless they were to make cuts.
Sure, they're self-contained for the most part but the continuity between the two is pretty strong and gives a much better context if you combine the two.

Not to mention that they were still rather small handheld games so releasing them together on a single package would go better with Three Houses' storytelling format and the upcoming inevitable Genealogy of the Holy War remake (Not to mention that they wouldn't need to add more content to make the game seem bloated like they did with the Link's Awakening remake).

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
AlphaDream died for this
alphadream likely wouldn't have been able to make the console leap either way, HD sprites are massively time and cost intensive that have caused financial woes in the past (see: SNK nearly going bankrupt and requiring it's employees to go well below minimum wage to stay afloat during the development of KoFXIII)

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, they're self-contained for the most part but the continuity between the two is pretty strong and gives a much better context if you combine the two.
I played them back to back when I played FE6 for the first time, with the newer/revised translation, and didn't really feel that way at all. The stories are full of quirks that don't really make sense when you put them together. Characters not knowing things they should, and quite a few conflicting character actions (one example is a plot hole around Athos and a legendary tome). I came away fairly disappointed in how poorly FE6 aligned with FE7.

And FE6 + 7 combined would include about 80 unique chapters. It could work, but it would be by far the biggest and most ambitious FE game, and I just can't see them doing that for a remake.

Aug 12, 2019
I'm surprised Nintendo managed to hold on as long as they did. The 3DS was pretty much clearly on its way out when the Switch launched in the first place and it has mostly received remakes and lower budget titles since then. I'm glad the 3DS got some more solid content, but it really is time to move on from a 8 year old system that has been overtaken by an improved in everyway successor that also had a portable only model available.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It's funny how people are surprised that Nintendo still planned to release games on the 3DS after the Switch released. Especially Fire Emblems.

Genealogy of the Holy War: released in 1996.
Thracia 776: released in 1999.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Bring Ian Sinclair back for whatever this FE remake ends up being. Way too good to be stuck in a 3DS game.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

They split FE3 Book 2 from FE1 during the DS remakes, even though in its original release FE3 also had an FE1 remake as "Book 1". There was never a standalone Book 2 before the DS remakes. And that was while adding a fairly limited amount of new content.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
If this takes off, maybe we see more existing titles make the... Switch. I jest.
But as an amateur collector, I have around 15 3DS carts left to complete my collection. We'll see.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
They split FE3 Book 2 from FE1 during the DS remakes, even though in its original release FE3 also had an FE1 remake as "Book 1". There was never a standalone Book 2 before the DS remakes. And that was while adding a fairly limited amount of new content.
Again, handheld games.

And is not like Shadow Dragon was particularly well-received or sold that much.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Took them long enough enough. I have had absolutely zero interest in buying 3DS games since the Switch came out, why would I want to play a game on those tiny, low res screens in place of my glorious TV?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Binding Blade remake.

I know Genealogy is "next" but I've always believed Roy's game would come out first. Tho I could be wrong or plans change

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Again, handheld games.

And is not like Shadow Dragon was particularly well-received or sold that much.
If this rumored remake exists it started development as a handheld game though. Also, Echoes was well received, but apparently didn't sell much either. Rather than jamming games together, I think it's more likely they'd attempt to build up on a single game to make any future remakes closer in features to the modern games.

If they ever decided to remake Fates it would be titled: "Shadows of an unknown country"

The countries have names, the issue is the continent.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Another point that I should add about the possibility of Binding Blade/Blazing Sword being put together as a single remake is that Fire Emblem is not an overly-popular franchise like Zelda that can be given the luxury of a simple remake of a handheld game. They need to throw everything including the kitchen sink to make it succeed, especially now that the series is on a rising trend thanks to Three Houses.

Look at Xenoblade Chronicles, the first game was already massive by itself but now they're even including an initially excluded locale to explore for the remake.

Last edited:

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Please tell me they won't seriously use "Shadows of [Continent]" as a serial namesake.

I don't expect it to be. It'll have the Echoes subtitle but the rest will likely be completely different. Echoes: The Inheritors of Light, or something. I wish they would keep Genealogy of the Holy War as the subtitle tbh, it's hard to think of something else that's just as fitting and epic sounding.

For Binding Blade on the other hand I could see it becoming Echoes: Maiden of Darkness, which was its original title.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Whatever the remake, they will need severe changes to attract the public. Things like Echoes half-baked supports were a mistake.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, the Battle Clash 3DS that we heard so much about will see the light of day.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man if that FE remake had been of genealogy I would have been so fucking pissed. That game needs to be made in glorious hd. Put that into a double pack with Thracia on the switch Nintendo c'mon.

OP
OP
Axe

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Good. It is beyond pathetic that Nintendo thinks it's acceptable to take a main console game like Luigi's mansion, and remake it for a nearly dead handheld like 3DS, rather than just put it on the new main console like the Switch. You know, like any sane company would do.

I hope Nintendo never releases another handheld so that all games will be available on a single platform
Luigi's Mansion made sense on 3DS though as it was originally designed to utilise stereoscopic 3D.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that they let AlphaDream be part of their misguided 3DS life-support business is some EA level corporate mismanagement.
AlphaDream was specialized in 2D for a 240p console.
My guess is that they were ill fit for the leap to Switch.

This is why I always believed Paper Mario had a better chance to appear on Switch than Mario & Luigi.

Jan 2, 2018
I own a new 2ds xl for few months now and I'm fine with this. The library is so huge as is that it doesn't really matter to me anyway.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I don't expect it to be. It'll have the Echoes subtitle but the rest will likely be completely different. Echoes: The Inheritors of Light, or something. I wish they would keep Genealogy of the Holy War as the subtitle tbh, it's hard to think of something else that's just as fitting and epic sounding.

For Binding Blade on the other hand I could see it becoming Echoes: Maiden of Darkness, which was its original title.
I honestly expect it to be Fire Emblem Echoes: Genealogy of the Holy War

the longer subtitle for FE2 felt more like a necessity due to it's birth as Gaiden

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time believing they still had hopes for 3DS titles as late as this year, but I can see how they might have still thought there was a market for the titles in early 2018 at least