• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't actually been room to recline without fucking with the person behind you for decades.

I think that depends on the airline. I just flew JAL and I was pleasantly surprised how much space there was in between the seats.

Considering how Era views people reclining their seats on a plane I would think this should be welcomed news.

Ya, this is what I was expecting the second I read the thread title. Lots of people on Era hate people who recline.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I recline all the way every time because I paid for the seat and the person behind me can recline as well. I don't see a problem.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I've ever reclined was if my seat was the last row of the section. Anyone who reclines with a person behind them is a fucking asshole.

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
R.1c93588b4835c875bda26ce66c20c817

soon
I would literally have a panic attack trying to pretend that was comfortable, knowing that I could not move or adjust myself for hours and that I was trapped with the back of another person right in my personal space like that.

Never. Never ever. For god sake you can't just have hard plastic jutting into people's prostates while they're locked in a half-squat all day

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
good

I know they're just trying to cut costs with lighter seats, but people who recline only care for their own comfort and not those around them, so I'll take it as a win

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Every seat should be fully declined/safe by default and upright as the optional. Otherwise get rid of the feature completely.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on no-recline side on this one. They're not giving us more space between seats and until they do, no-recline or pre-recline or anything that's set in place is better. Those little tables are miserable to use otherwise.

Oct 30, 2017
Ottawa
I recline all the way every time because I paid for the seat and the person behind me can recline as well. I don't see a problem.

You didn't pay me for the discomfort you cause me. My knees touch the seat in front before you start slamming it back against my knees.

Also, I've been stuck on a 14 hour flight with a seat that didn't recline while the person in front of me reclined all the way back.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Considering how Era views people reclining their seats on a plane I would think this should be welcomed news.

It's downright hostile here. I used to fly constantly, am 6'2", and have never once had issues with anyone reclining into me or vice versa. Granted I usually fly southwest if I'm doing a cheap airline.

If reclining seats are a problem, most likely you can fly Southwest for the same price and have more room.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
As someone that just flew to Europe and back to Canada economy class, FUCK reclining seats.

I fully support this.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great move. If someone reclines, unless there is no one behind them, someone is losing a portion of their already very limited space. In some cases, you can't even use your tray table. It's super annoying flying and being stuck behind a reclined seat.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
All my recent experiences of reclining seats where that the difference was so minimal it was almost non existent.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
economy class?

get rid of chairs all together

let the cattle stand the whole flight

👏

Make this man dog an airline CEO immediately! Do you have any idea how many shaved lbs of seats, and dollars of maintenance would be saved if everybody just stood? The mind boggles at the extra profit. We're talking an easy 10% bump to quarterly revenue. 10%!

Unpopular? Yes, but that's exactly how you know someone is CEO material.

Also, maybe marketing can do something with this. Imagine all the comforting physical contact people will have with strangers. It's like fellowshipping at a church kinda.

A small addon idea: What about if, in first class, instead of having actual sleep in seats, they are replaced by tall and soft people who are willing to just lie down quietly while first class passengers sit or sleep ontop of them. They can get a 5000 miles reward per flight. And maybe even a free lunchbox with cheese, almonds, crackers and those little dried cherries (if there are any leftover).

Also thinking about replacing the pilot with a kid who's good at plane/spaceship videogames for a 50% seat discount. Preferably the son or daughter of a passenger. The autopilot does most of the work anyways and for the takeoff and landing you can just have one single pilot at the tower guiding the child on what to do.

Also, suitcase weight? Hellooo? Why not just empty all the check in suitcases contents in one giant garbage bag in the plane and leave the suitcases off the plane completely, saving on all that weight?

Passengers can be given 1000 airline luggage bucks each to bid on random items from all the passengers. First class passengers get 5000 airline luggage bucks obviously. They can also bid on suitcases left from passengers who took the opposite flight to store their belongings.

We need to talk.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
👏

Make this man dog an airline CEO immediately! Do you have any idea how many shaved lbs of seats, and dollars of maintenance would be saved if everybody just stood? The mind boggles at the extra profit. We're talking an easy 10% bump to quarterly revenue. 10%!

Unpopular? Yes, but that's exactly how you know someone is CEO material.
ive often been told i have the mind of a ceo

wait til you hear my next idea; podcasts for dogs

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
Everything I hear about air travel these days makes me wish the US had better rail service. What I'd give to be able to take a high-speed train from coast to coast.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
rights are only available to people with money

United literally charges like $70 or something for more legroom. Airlines have been trash for ages, but post-9/11 they just went to full nickel and diming people so any modest convenience has to be purchased for at least $50. The business model is pretty much based on making things as shitty as possible to incentivize upgrading.

Everything I hear about air travel these days makes me wish the US had better rail service. What I'd give to be able to take a high-speed train from coast to coast.

Same, but airlines (Southwest) or sociopathic man-baby EV CEOs (take a guess), among other interests, aggressively lobby against any possibility of rail.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Same, but airlines (Southwest) or sociopathic man-baby EV CEOs (take a guess), among other interests, aggressively lobby against any possibility of rail.
i remember hearing about how the highspeed rail in texas was aggressively and constantly fucked over for years cuz of the airline companies

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Can we just get fucking high speed rail already please? The competition would put airlines in their place, which is hopefully extinct except where needed.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can we just get fucking high speed rail already please? The competition would put airlines in their place, which is hopefully extinct except where needed.

With how much places in America charge for slow rail transit, I can't imagine how much they'd try to get away with for high speed rail. It'd probably end up being significantly more expensive than flying which is hilarious to think about.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst flight of my life involved involved the woman in front of me reclining all the way back immediately and then bitching about being uncomfortable the entire time. Me being who I am didn't recline back because the person behind me was tall and clearly uncomfortable already. I vowed to never fly Iberia again. I get this experience isn't a reason to suggest no one gets to recline, but it does make me feel like not everyone should.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
With how much places in America charge for slow rail transit, I can't imagine how much they'd try to get away with for high speed rail. It'd probably end up being significantly more expensive than flying which is hilarious to think about.
i watch a lot of train videos, and its impressive how many options in Japan they have for their high speed rail, there like a communal bed mat areas at the cheapest levels and they are very affordable, like most folks could just get on a train in the evening and be on the other side of the country by morning

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
economy class?

get rid of chairs all together

let the cattle stand the whole flight
You joke but the last 30 years of airline consumer habits show that people don't view flights as anything other than a means to an end so if it was even a hair cheaper, people would bite.

If United or whoever came out with a set of flights where the flight attendants got to give each passenger a couple of sucker punches when it hit cruising altitude, but the tickets were $50 cheaper than whatever the cheapest option is now, they would sell in no time.

And I get it. I'd love way more legroom, better food, etc... but I will also trade all of it away to reduce the cost of the ticket. Once I land, it's over and any money I spent no longer benefits me.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
I'm tall. I hate when people recline into me and so I don't recline into anyone else. The discomfort for the person behind you is greater than the little bit you gain.

This. One time dude reclined so hard when i had the tray down it literally felt like a punch in the stomach. i Pushed the chair with all my force and he quickly fixed his chair.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
i remember hearing about how the highspeed rail in texas was aggressively and constantly fucked over for years cuz of the airline companies

Yup. Used to live there and it's an ideal place to have rail between the major cities since it's flat and would service the vast majority of the state's population to travel between the cities, which is about 2-3 hour drive otherwise (Houston/Dallas/Austin-San Antonio effectively form a triangle in the central-eastern portion of the state). Ideally, you'd have another set of routes to smaller cities like Corpus Christi/Lubbock and El Paso, which is like a 7-hour+ drive from the other cities.

Instead you had to drive among through small nothing towns and endless speed traps (although now I guess there are Bucees everywhere, aka fancy gas stations). Anyway, that's in my alt-Texas universe where the state pays attention to its people and does the basics of governance.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
The way it is now sucks, every time I'm on a flight the person in front of me lowers their seat all the way back and their head is practically in my lap.

How? What airlines are we talking about here?

I fly constantly for work and the most I see economy seats recline is something like 5-10 degrees, tops. Like, 2 inches. Jet Blue, Delta, American, Air Canada, etc.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Tall person here, I'm good with that. If the person in front of me reclines it absolutely sucks for me. I feel like in generally it makes the person behind you have worse comfort, so it kind of just sucks in general.
Ah yes, and then the person behind that person can recline, and the person behind them, and, oh wait someone wants to (or has to) sit upright with normal posture? Too bad for them I guess. They can have fun being cramped or in discomfort for the flight. At least you got to be nicely reclined without a care in the world :D

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
How? What airlines are we talking about here?

I fly constantly for work and the most I see economy seats recline is something like 5-10 degrees, tops. Like, 2 inches. Jet Blue, Delta, American, Air Canada, etc.
Not sure about the head in lap thing, don't think I've seen that either, but I can attest that as someone over 6 ft as soon as someone reclines my knees/legs are absolutely digging into their seat and there's nothing I can do about it. That over several hours is brutal.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Good

Now crack down on carryon luggage size so we don't have to wait around for people trying to cram obviously-oversized shit into the overhead bins

PleaseBeKind

Oct 31, 2023
A month ago I took an 9-hr flight to Europe. As soon as I sat on that tiny seat I had a mini claustrophobia attack. My thighs were locked between the armrests and I barely had room to stretch my legs. It was no fun 😕

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Not sure about the head in lap thing, don't think I've seen that either, but I can attest that as someone over 6 ft as soon as someone reclines my knees/legs are absolutely digging into their seat and there's nothing I can do about it. That over several hours is brutal.

My coworker is 6'3" and definitely runs into this. He usually springs for extra leg room seats.

I'm 6' and finally gave up on window seats this year. I'm aisle all the way for breathing room's sake.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I'm reading this and thinking like...the "recline" on economy seats is like a 3° change at best. The last time I flew--extremely recently--I kept thinking what even is the point of this?

It didn't bother me, but I also didn't perceive any benefit when I myself did it. I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
My coworker is 6'3" and definitely runs into this. He usually springs for extra leg room seats.

I'm 6' and finally gave up on window seats this year. I'm aisle all the way for breathing room's sake.
For sure, for me personally paying extra so I can fit my legs in isn't really an option right now. Aisle helps for sure but have to angle my legs and be conscious of people / carts going up and down. They could also, you know, remove reclining and I can sit normally.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Reclining seats suck if you're tall. It just means the person in front of me gets to delete my already limited legroom.

But the real solution would be more legroom.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
This is 100% the right move. In cramped conditions, no-one should be able to make other people more cramped by invading their space reclining.

lol this corporate PR bullshit

"less choice is good, actually!"

"right-to recline wars" woooow
You folks not around for the past decade? There absolutely has been a heated debate about seat recliners, to the point airliners had to ban passengers using devices that prevent the person in front of them reclining their seat. Which indicates that the "fuck recliners" argument was so widespread that an entire product category was created out of it.

"War" might be hyperbole but it isn't something the corporate PR machine invented.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

This works in theory, but last week on my 12 hour flight to Istanbul the person in front of me fully reclined. I tried to recline just a tad to give me a little room between myself and the screen but the person behind me punched and shook my seat until I relented. They did not appear to be someone who could be reasoned with.

Last edited:

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
I don't really understand all the complaints about air travel. Its 5-6 hours max for a domestic flight. Its still like like $200- $300. I don't need amazing comfort.

Very strange people get all vexed about such a short period of time considering the miracle of flight, its speed, and low cost.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
I dunno what everyone is complaining about, I get plenty of legroom and space on flights. Nobody should need to recline for more space.*

* I am 5'1".

ShadowLink86

Aug 30, 2023
I hate this. I don't mind it for 2-3 hour flights, but anything above that starts to feel uncomfortable for me.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I've never been on a flight.

The prices and stories make me never want to be on one.

Sedation and throwing me in a box sounds fine. Just no diddles please.