The Great Dictator
Nosferatu
From Russia with Love
Goldfinger
12 Angry Man
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
there's an underrated, old low-budget war film that I would recommend called The Steel Helmet.

in fact, I recommend a deep dive into the filmography of Samuel Fuller. An interesting filmmaker who only gets love in film circles... sometimes.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
'The Asphyx' (1971) is pure Victorian horror in every sense of the word. The movie focuses on a high society doctor, Sir Hugo Cunningham (Robert Stephens), who after capturing an ancient creature that comes to claim your soul at the moment of death, begins to experiment with the monster the film is named after. The movie's best moments come when Hugo debates the meaning of the creature's existence and his philosophical conversations are given the time needed to explore unanswerable questions of human mortality.

If you have the patience (this film demands it), it makes up for in an original story that hasn't been replicated since and ultimately demands a deep consideration of your own impending death.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Paths of Glory

All Quiet on the Western Front

Honorable mention to Come and See, even though it's an '85 film

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched The Seventh Seal over the weekend and it's amazing. On the Criterion channel. Gonna try to watch more of Bergman's stuff soon.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
P0r6v7IrKJJWhmoIgAGewxvlkQnnIb_large.jpg

Fantastic film.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Harakiri
51MDZCr6U%2BL._AC_.jpg

Housu
8a1bf7c5d1a9752dfa24a049ca3f38b6.jpg

I'll leave it with those two because I have so so so many. Cinema has been good for ages.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BNWMwYjU4NTQtMjRhZC00MjNlLTlkZTctNDZjNDRlNzRkNDdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

MV5BMDcxNjhiOTEtMzQ0YS00OTBhLTkxM2QtN2UyZDMzNzIzNWFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

MV5BMmNlYzRiNDctZWNhMi00MzI4LThkZTctMTUzMmZkMmFmNThmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

MV5BNDYxYWY3ZTUtNzNiMi00ZmQyLTliMzAtNDdiZGY1NzVjZTc3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

MV5BOGM4NjBhMmEtZmI1NS00ODIwLWFjNzAtYjIzYzQ5MDJjMTFjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg3MTIwODI@._V1_.jpg

I envy you if you haven't seen any of these, OP. You will come to know 70s Sissy Spacek as God, like I have.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
So many I could pick! But since OP asks for one movie and a lot of my favorites have been mentioned, I'll say:

Bicycle Thieves

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Wow I was going to say House

Reasonably. House is the zenith of human creativity that has not since been equaled by mortal hands.

I'm genuinely unsure if I'm joking or not. There's NOTHING else out there like it (though some of the director's other work comes close, it's hard to tell since most aren't available outside Japan).

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Burn, Witch, Burn also known as Night of the Eagle (1962)

Night of the Hunter (1955)

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)
Directed by Michael Curtiz and starring James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, Ann Sheridan and Humphrey Bogart.
An absolute classic and one of my favorite movies of all time. If I could only recommend one, it would be this one. I think it might only be on DVD though because I can't find it streaming anywhere.

Angels_With_Dirty_Faces_001.jpg

Other recommendations include The Big Sleep (1946), Strangers on a Train (1951), and Witness for the Prosecution (1957).

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
Rear Window is my absolute favorite movie of all time. Actually quite fitting at the moment too. Dude is stuck in his apartment because he broke his leg, so he sits at the window all day and watches his neighbours go about their home lives. Which turns into a murder mystery :)

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Predictable answer but Casablanca.

A few other personal favourites: Bride of Frankenstein, It's A Wonderful Life, Wizard of Oz, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Haunting, Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, Taxi Driver...

A Touch of Zen (1971)

And this. :)

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
El Topo
The Holy Mountain
Bride of Frankenstein
Blues Brothers
Deep Red (Profondo Rosso)
Fantastic Planet

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Rear Window is my absolute favorite movie of all time. Actually quite fitting at the moment too. Dude is stuck in his apartment because he broke his leg, so he sits at the window all day and watches his neighbours go about their home lives. Which turns into a murder mystery :)
About 7 or so years ago I was really sick about Christmas time, staying in bed as much as possible and put on the DVD for Rear Window. Watched it and at the end I was struggling to motivate myself to get out of bed and while I was deliberating, the film just looped and started playing again. So I watched it again straight away, not just because I couldn't get out of bed but because I got sucked in again almost immediately as I really love that film. Definitely in my top 10 favourites.

Oct 25, 2017
01_jaws_main_0.jpg

Jaws is the best movie of all time so watch that.

Also watch The Great Silence:

the-great-silence-movie-poster-1968-1020420955.jpg

I saw this on TV around 30 years ago expecting something fun like the Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood movies.

What I actually got was an anti-authoritarian and anti-capitalist spaghetti western which is so cynical and bleak that it fucked me right up when I was a kid.

It's great.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I got a couple of film recommendations:

Cool Hand Luke - starring Paul Newman
North by Northwest - Hitchcock and one of the best IMO, I see tons of vertigo recommendations but you should watch this too
Dirty Harry - the protogenesis of the summer blockbuster

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So many...

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
12 Angry Men
Harakiri
Bicycle Thieves
Ben-Hur
Rosemary's Baby
The Sound of Music
Citizen Kane
Persona
2001: A Space Odyssey
Once Upon a Time In The West

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Halloween
The Last House on the Left
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Suspiria
Don't Look Now

The 70s was a great decade for horror damn.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Lot of really good recs in this thread! I think the necessities and more artistic films have been covered a lot, so I'll go a little sillier.

"Singin' in the Rain" is one of my favorite movies and I think it still holds up (mostly due to it being a period piece). It's light-hearted and fun, but well acted and can be very clever at times. ...it also should never have worked since it's a jukebox musical intended to highlight one composer's songs, so the fact that it managed to work them in while still managing to be coherent and entertaining is pretty impressive.

A little less known but one I personally enjoy is "Arsenic and Old Lace". It's a direct adaptation from a play, so it drags a bit in the middle (where there would have been an intermission) but the beginning and end are so worth it. A surprisingly dark comedy for the time, and a lot of fun as long as you don't mind people making jokes regarding murder.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
To Kill a Mockingbird
Dog Day Afternoon
The Apartment
What's Up Doc?
12 Angry Men
The Sound of Music

I mean, Star Wars/ESB technically meet the requirement but maybe not the spirit of the thread.
But on that note, American Graffiti.

Oh and anything by Mel Brooks
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum