• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
So, I've been wanting to make this thread for a long time. Do a girl a favor and listen to this as you read.

pyRThBa.png

Story time: I played Chrono Trigger in Final Fantasy Chronicles for Playstation when it came out in 2001. I played it emulated before, but due to an emulation glitch could never get past 2300 AD so I placed my bets on Square releasing a Playstation port. I ended up waiting two years for that port which in teenager years is an eternity. When it came out I gobbled that game up due to my previous inability to play it and it quickly became an obsession. Playing it, I had many firsts - the first (and last) time I blacked out while playing a game through sheer addiction. Or the first (and last) time I biked over to my friends house after I beat a game because I didn't have space on my memory card to save and had to borrow theirs. I went far for that game. In some ways, too far. Basically, I fucking loved Chrono Trigger.

So a year later, summer 2002, I borrowed Chrono Cross from my friend. Story short, I hated it. I loved the Mitsuda soundtrack. I loved the visuals. I liked the gameplay, although by that point I was already a Suikoden fan and thought it [CC] was a cheap Suiko rip off with none of the personality. But the story is what I truly hated. I hated what they did to Trigger characters, and the more "convoluted" stuff. I was 16 at the time, and maxed out with the game upon completion, I quickly gave it back to my friend thinking I would never play that horrendous game ever again. As a massive Trigger fan I just thought it was probably the worst sequel you could have possibly given that game.

About two years ago, with a lot more experience on my belt, I decided to give it another shot. I'm prone to giving games that I feel don't deserve it second or third shots. Among that list includes Final Fantasy VIII, Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIII, Suikoden IV, Xenosaga II. Sometimes I end up loving them because I've open my mind to them, in cases like FFVIII, Mario 64, or FFXII. Sometimes, my opinion doesn't change but I get a somewhat greater appreciation for them (Xenosaga II, FFXIII). Sometimes, I dislike them even more (Suikoden IV).

Cross ended up being in the love category.

This thread is my attempt to deconstruct the game and articulate why.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QFn5vuc.jpg

I kind of don't know where to start. The graphics, art direction, and music have been so praised over the years that it feels pointless to mention them here. Everything that has needed to be said about these elements has been said. So I think I'll start on the gameplay.

I think gameplay in Cross is largely excellent. More specifically, its battle system. After each battle, you start over with full HP which is unique for jrpgs whose gameplay is often typified by resource management, item management, minimizing damage, and making sure things don't get too low so you're stuck in a dungeon with no potions. The best jrpgs, I find, instill a clear message of fight or flight and risk management: do I fight here or do I wing it? Should I run away and risk getting hit and being forced to use a spell? I need to save my spells for the boss, will ten potions be enough to get me there without using spells for healing? Dragon Quest does it, Shin Megami Tensei does, any jrpg worth its shit in the gameplay department does it. What's interesting is how Cross navigates around that while still managing to have the feeling of resource management, mostly through the element system.

oh3pJbw.jpg

p9jlKuj.jpg

The thing is that elements are kind of limited. You're allotted a limited number of elements per character and each character has their strengths and weaknesses. Serge's strength is white magic, but his weakness is black magic. But it's good to bring black magic just in case you run into another white element character. I ended up playing the game not too differently than how I would a Shin Megami Tensei, with each character covering not only strengths but also weaknesses - just in case - for a well balanced team.

What's more interesting is how Elements are consummable. Like in Final Fantasy VIII, you have no MP, and characters' ability to use Elements is dependent on their stock. So if you end up bringing one heal Element for a character, you can heal only once that battle. But because characters' element options are so limited, you are forced to pick and choose. What's even better is that Elements can't just be plunked down and automatically equipped given that they have tiers. A level 3 Element can't be used in a Level 1 slot. So a lot of time and care is spent on finding the exact Elements to equip, in the right order which makes the games meta extremely satisfying to research and understand. Personally, I'm really big on rpgs where magic is a consummable rather than have an mp option. In a game like Final Fantasy VIII for example, where you might need to use a spell that is equipped to your stats as a consummable, I think that makes things fun and exciting. In the end, I feel like Chrono Cross has a more developed, and thorough take on the approach than Final Fantasy VIII and that if they ever remake FFVIII, they could use Chrono Cross as a nice template to gain inspiration from.

The combination of Cross' difficulty spikes and the element system made for very interesting gameplay. The color field effect system and the strategies you have to employ to get the upper hand on some bosses forces for very, very creative decisions. I felt like Cross demanded more of me as a player compared to Trigger, whose main battle system conceit is its inherent simplicity which combines to be both a strength as well as a weakness. Suffice to say, I love Chrono Cross' battle system. Which wasn't too surprising given how much I enjoyed it the first time I played it. What did surprise me was how much I enjoyed all the rest of its gameplay.

iNqGRUp.png

I remember when I played Chrono Trigger last (on DS) I remember thinking a little less of the game. I mean, it's still one of my all time favorites but I remember the battle system being less interesting than before or certain elements having egregious flaws like the scripted encounter system. But more than anything that shocked me was how bad I felt the dungeons were in Trigger. There's not really much in the way of dungeon design in the game: traps, survival through attrition, resource management. It's kind of like, you fight monster after monster in the most simplistic of ways. So I found that part disappointing.

wPUhtRz.png

I tend to have high standards for dungeons in a jrpg. After a game like Lufia II or the myriad of dungeon crawlers I've faced and beaten over the years and Shiren the Wanderer Mystery Dungeon games, having high standards for dungeons is just going to happen. So color me shocked when I replayed Cross and found the dungeons not only serviceable but actually good. With battles resetting characters HP to max, it meant that dungeons had to be up to par by sheer necessity. You ended up traversing through traps, you had to make sure you didn't fuck up and had not only enough elements to carry your party through, but also the right elements. Dungeons were sometimes full of teases that didn't allow you full access to certain areas or chests unless you fulfilled certain goals, so there was plenty of back and forth. The fact these came from the mind of Square, which didn't - and doesn't - have the best track record with dungeon design is shocking.

Speaking of back and forth, I found myself going back and forth between the two alternate worlds revisiting towns and cities to find new things. Like Suikoden games and Chrono Trigger before it, Chrono Cross has something within it that just tickles that OCD gamer itch. Will I find a new event? Will I find a new character? I might be able to use this key item on this character. This character in this world says something, maybe their alternate version has something else to say? I played the game based on what if's just to see what would happen, just to stretch the possibilities and see what they were and what I could do at any one point which is rare in today's jrpgs for me. Getting characters wasn't as simple as I remember it, and collecting them still had that addictive feeling that Suikoden always had. I ended up desperately trying to recruit certain characters, enthralled by their back stories. Which is funny given how much I felt the backstories were shallow compared to Suikoden 1 and II when I first played it.

I found the gameplay considerably more involved than Chrono Trigger and I was sold on it hook, line, and sinker. Far from the more simplistic battle system and equally simplistic dungeon design its predecessor offers, Chrono Cross has a more in-depth gameplay full of difficulty spikes, creative decision making via the element system, and far more thorough and interesting dungeons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zFeMSAO.jpg

The bigger sell of course, was the story. Chrono Trigger's appeal is, as said, in its simplicity. The characters work despite being seemingly "shallow". The hook of the game - saving the world by going back in time - is genius as it is timeless. The game is also shrouded in mystery upon mystery that are not only fun to unravel but also have captured Trigger fans' imaginations since its release - how did Lavos come to being? Where did Schala go? Chrono Trigger's story was definitely simple, but it was also a good kind. Kind of like other famous time travel stories like Back to the Future. I've never not found Chrono Trigger's story to be a fun ass adventure meant to draw from the players imaginations as much as it did its creators'.

Note: I did this replay playing the Japanese version of the game so it may color my impressions since I did not play the translated English version this time.

CZU7uDo.jpg

Chrono Cross' story is fascinating. I used to think it was the worst sequel you could ever conjure because of its differences to Trigger. Now I realize it was clearly the best thing they could have possibly done. Trigger is about a bunch of kids who decide to try to save the world by altering time. There's no fucking way that act could ever not have ramifications. Chrono Cross is about what happens after time has been manipulated, much like how Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is about what happens once you have achieved an utopia (TNG). Except, in this game, it's not about time, it's about alternate worlds caused by shifts in time.

In one world, Serge is alive; in another, he's dead and forgotten. In one world, one npc has fulfilled their dream as a writer; in another, they work a dead end job as a waitress. I feel that, for better or worse, Chrono Cross simply has more things to say than Trigger based solely off its main premise. I ended up being obsessed with the differences between characters in alternate worlds. Even random npc's had interesting stories and enough differences in personality to see a full formed character arc. It's almost impossible to play it, with an adults life time of experiences, and not wonder in some way, what an alternate you would be like. Would they have any unfulfilled dreams? What would I have the same regrets? What would I be like? As it is, Chrono Cross is a more philosophical and interesting game based off this very relatable duality.

What's more is how these elements intersect with the main plot. Let's take Kid. She gets full of poisonous spores that will kill her and the player is tasked with making a decision: saving her, or letting her die. The caveat is that saving her means going into an alternate world and creating an extinction event. The place is already extinct and dead in the current world, so you actually have to more than bend your morals to save Kid. The game even outright says you're fucked up for causing extinction just to save a girl you barely know. This serves as one of the Cross' first interesting lessons about its story: it takes traditional jrpg set ups such as saving the girl, and flips it. In order to save her you have to be a monster. The second lesson? Chrono Cross is a story that never stops flipping it. The result is a game that not only plays with genre expectations but also introduces a sort of philosophical/moral quandry into its storytelling. I didn't find any of this interesting as a teen, but I found it cool as hell as an adult.

n6yItYW.jpg

One problem with Trigger's story is that despite being a game based on time travel you really don't get to see yourself impact time that much. It feels like you're witnessing events happen much more than you're a direct contributor. There are some side quests where you definitely change time or events, such as reviving Crono, but for the most part, the timeline in Trigger, despite its premise, feels somewhat static. Cross' world is anything but static. It truly feels like you're fully impacting its world and depending on which routes you take, in the worst of ways which made me curious to see all the possibilities.

I didn't find the Trigger stuff as offensive as I once did. Frankly, I think a lot of the "Chrono Cross is convoluted and ruined Trigger" talk to be hyperbole after replaying it. It's not without its flaws, but most of them are made with the assumption that Trigger is a perfect game - and it isn't. It's just that Cross is treated badly just for daring to not only be different but also tie into Trigger in interesting ways.

I certainly found the characters to be way better than I remembered them being the first time I played it. I think I was so caught up in the fact it wasn't a fun adventure with fun characters like Trigger that I wasn't able to appreciate the good that Cross had, such as Glenn's background. If there's one complaint it's that once characters join the party, very few of them matter after the fact. But what's there is really good.

xO6df73.png

I really came away from Chrono Cross more than enjoying it. I loved it when I replayed it. I haven't been able to replay it I last played it to see where it all fully goes, but damn if that first ride wasn't amazing. In the end, I ended up thinking it was (shockingly) a better game than Chrono Trigger. But now unlike most Chrono fans I'm able to appreciate them for being two halves of the same coin. Chrono Cross is every bit the sequel Trigger deserves. It's shame so few people can recognize that.

I really hope we get a new Chrono some day. Hopefully, with luck, it will be every bit as good as Cross.

Have some amazing Cross art.

cuu7INB.png

B5pDRZZ.png

l8o75HJ.png

FSTVSDT.png

af5Iopv.png

vHqL3Ay.png

Gors8VF.png

vSI1g0f.png

fSlF7G6.png

1u5zA8M.png

Vg52jcP.png

ftm5YPV.png

7nYyriw.png

KYzVAN8.png

I'd love if it other posters made threads telling us what games they've REconsidered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cindi Mayweather
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it really is underrated. :( I definitely played my part in shitting on it unnecessarily just because it was different.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Trigger is better, but Cross is really goddamn good

The Picasso level or whatever with Sprigg blew my mind

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
Never beat it but played and liked it back when it was released and even bought it again on Vita. Man, the PS1's JRPG days were some of my favorite gaming memories. Why can't we have nice things again!?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I need time to read the OP. Suffice to say Chrono Cross is on my list of GOAT rpgs. One of the PS games and one of the greatest RPGs. It didnt try to live up to Trigger but it ended up being so much more.

Loved it. I listened to the OST for a year commuting to school. Radical Dreamers is amazing

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the family. Chrono Cross is my favorite video game of all time. Period. I adore this game and your write up was great, OP. I hope it lends some inspiration to others to give the game another go.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the Chrono Cross battle system. I really liked the story too, although it kind of lost a bit of itself toward the end. I thought there were too many characters to get attached to your party.

But overall, it was really, really good, and, like you said, that is largely due to the great battle system. (Its battle theme is terrible though. Which is especially a shame, considering the GOAT quality of the rest of the soundtrack.)

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great OP! Enjoyable read.

I'm a big fan of Chrono Cross while still recognizing its flaws. It certainly caught a lot of undeserved flack because it wasn't Chrono Trigger 2.0. But Chrono Trigger is such a "lightning in a bottle" kind of game, that I think they were very wise to branch out in a completely different direction.

The artwork and music combine to create one of my all-time favorite atmosphere's in a video-game. It really does transport you to a different world.

OP
OP
Cindi Mayweather
Oct 26, 2017
I loved the Chrono Cross battle system. I really liked the story too, although it kind of lost a bit of itself toward the end. I thought there were too many characters to get attached to your party.

But overall, it was really, really good, and, like you said, that is largely due to the great battle system. (Its battle theme is terrible though. Which is especially a shame, considering the GOAT quality of the rest of the soundtrack.)

Yeah, I hate the battle theme and what's even worse is that it plays during boss battles.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Let's take Kid. She gets full of poisonous spores that will kill her and the player is tasked with making a decision: saving her, or letting her die. The caveat is that saving her means going into an alternate world into and creating an extinction event. The place is already extinct and dead in the current world, so you actually have to more than bend your morals to save Kid. The game even outright says you're fucked up for causing extinction just to save a girl you barely know. This serves as one of the Cross' first interesting lessons about its story: it takes traditional jrpg set ups such as saving the girl, and flips it. In order to save her you have to be a monster.
Do you actually have that information when you make that decision though? I don't remember that being stated until after you already get the cure, which still fits with a theme but not in the same way.

Holygriever

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Do you actually have that information when you make that decision though? I don't remember that being stated until after you already get the cure, which still fits with a theme but not in the same way.

It is at the very least implied, what with it being already all fucked up in Another World and multiple NPCs saying the ecosystem of the marshes depend on the hydra in the Home World.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cindi Mayweather
Oct 26, 2017

Yes they tell you this information. The marsh is dead in Another world, so you go to Home world to get the item which they know will force the marsh to die after the fact. During the actual event, you actually fight the Marsh natives who are trying to stop you from destroying it.

Oct 27, 2017
I havent played Cross but i did play Most of Trigger . From reading this though i wonder if Cross would have been better received if it wasnt a sequel to Trigger . Have no baggage and no need to live up to the expectations of its predescessor

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
It is at the very least implied, what with it being already all fucked up in Another World and multiple NPCs saying the ecosystem of the marshers depend on the hydra in the Home World.
Yes they tell you this information. The marsh is dead in Another world, so you go to Home world to get the item which they know will force the marsh to die after the fact. During the actual event, you actually fight the Marsh natives who are trying to stop you from destroying the forest.
Oh ok, it's been forever since I played it so I don't remember the details very well.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Ill never get the cross hate.
Its worthy of trigger in my eyes.

And every time ive seen someone attempt to explain why it comes off as "its not trigger 2.0"

Oct 26, 2017
I've said repeatedly that Cross' biggest issue when it comes to community perception is it's connection to Trigger. It would be much better regarded if it was it's own thing, and I'm not saying I think it's unworthy of being a sequel to Trigger (and Trigger is by most beloved game ever) but I just think the previous game didn't need a sequel, It was a beautifully contained little package.
I mean, the concept of showing the consequences of time manipulation is a good one and I'm maybe just showing a "not in my back yard" attitude, but I think Cross' could have pulled it off just fine without the backstory actually being another video game. For me personally, I just find it a little mean-spirited to go back and muddy the waters after Trigger ended on such a happy note (taking the good ending as canon)

Cross' battle system is good, but I'm a little disappointed it reverted back to the "Characters standing in a line" concept as opposed to them being individually placed on a battlefield and attacks having area of effects to consider. I'm also not a fan of the way that individual characters abilities in battle are a result of equipping items instead of being inherent to the character. This extends beyond Chrono Cross though as it became the done thing after FFVII had it's Materia system.

But I think Chrono Cross represents Square at their creative peak at a time when they were incredibly prolific. It's a stunningly beautiful game, both visually and aurally and shows a flair and confidence that is sadly lacking in JRPGs these days.

OP
OP
Cindi Mayweather
Oct 26, 2017
Cross' battle system is good, but I'm a little disappointed it reverted back to the "Characters standing in a line" concept as opposed to them being individually placed on a battlefield and attacks having area of effects to consider. I'm also not a fan of the way that individual characters abilities in battle are a result of equipping items instead of being inherent to the character.

I'd definitely be interested in a Chrono sequel having a Grandia like movement/placement system combined with double and triple techs and Cross' element system.

Ravic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chrono Cross is awesome. I just think it puts some people off because it is so different from Chrono Trigger.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
i still want a remake, port or remaster to the current gen, i really had more fun and feel more connected to this game than final fantasy series

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I had the luxury of playing Cross before Trigger so I always thought it was a great game. One of my favorite ones back in the day. The story of Kid way so different to anything Is known before as a Kid. I barely understood it. But I hold Chrono Cross as one of the great PSClassics.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd definitely be interested in a Chrono sequel having a Grandia like movement/placement system combined with double and triple techs and Cross' element system.
I've been consistently baffled over the years as to why Grandia's battle system hasn't been used and/or adapted by JRPG's since it released. It makes just about every other system seem archaic by comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
What a fantastic thread.

And what else can I say, other than "welcome to the family!". I'm really glad that you decided to give the game a second chance, and that you ended up loving it!

I consider Cross to actually the best videogame sequel ever, to any franchise.

Shamelessly quoting myself from the other Cross thread:

"Cross is more about the consequences of the adventures of the previous game, and how all the time traveling and world-saving that Crono, Marle, Lucca and the others did, affects the lives of other people and the entire planet.

It happens in the same world (Year 1020 a.D.) but in a new location that only exists because of the events of Trigger.

Consider Cross as the "Back to the Future 2" of the franchise. If you saw that movie you will know that it is about the bigger consequences of time travel and how it can bring unintended consequences even if the intentions were good.

Cross is way darker and more melancholic that Trigger, but it's mainly because it deals with a couple of unresolved business from the first game. For example, remember when Marle gets erased from history, and she claims she was in a lonely, dark place? Well, Cross explains more about what that place is. And remember the people that you "saved" in the ruined future by defeating Lavos? Well, consider that you basically doomed them to the same fate that Marle suffered at that time. Adults, old people, and all the children you found in that horrible 2,300 a.D.? Well, you negated them their existence. Like playing God. And perhaps the main characters of Chrono Trigger were aware of this....

That's basically what Cross is about. Just have that in mind while playing it. It's about dealing with the consequences of such big changes in history, and how other people have to pay for it.

I've always understood when people complain about Cross going darker. That's a perfectly valid complaint. However, it is one of the main reasons I LOVED it. It is not afraid to be different, it is not afraid to turn things upside down. It makes you look at your actions in Trigger in a different way upon replays.

I cannot guarantee that you will like Cross. Perhaps you will find it too dark. Too different. But if you like sequels that have the balls to turn a lighthearted adventure into a philosophical and moral question, then you might enjoy it!

One thing is true, though. Cross has an "info dump" problem. Mainly because the developers ran out of time and budget at the end. The info dump being thrown at the main character actually makes sense from a storyline perspective, but it is still signs of a poor narrative at the end.

Also, beware of headcanons. Many people are quick to bash Cross because of headcanons they have. Go with an open mind, don't assume things."

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I havent played Cross but i did play Most of Trigger . From reading this though i wonder if Cross would have been better received if it wasnt a sequel to Trigger . Have no baggage and no need to live up to the expectations of its predescessor

As someone with only casual knowledge of the two, one of the most common complaints I've seen over the years about Cross is how it undermines Trigger.

So yeah I think without that extra baggage it wouldn't be looked back on as negatively.

Oct 25, 2017

That would make no sense, though.

"Removing the connections to Trigger" would basically mean making an entirely different game.

As someone with only casual knowledge of the two, one of the most common complaints I've seen over the years about Cross is how it undermines Trigger..

It actually ENHANCES Trigger. It doesn't undermine it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would make no sense, though.

"Removing the connections to Trigger" would basically mean making an entirely different game.

It actually ENHANCES Trigger. It doesn't undermine it.

As I said this is just what I observed online. I've actually not played Cross and only played about an hour of Trigger.

The big sticking point I've read is that
It basically made the first game pointless or killed the cast off or something like that?

As I said those were reactions I read a lot online.

Tarextherex

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Great write-up. The parts that connect to Trigger are actually by far the best segments of the game. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would though. It has a lot of things I appreciate in JRPGs (great music/art, unique setting, unique battle/progression system, actually good dungeons) but the pacing of the game just feels too monotonous besides a few standout parts like the Dead Sea. That's the main issue with the game, it's not about it "taking a shit on Trigger's characters and story". Most of the game feels like you do things in random places while you're not sure what's going on in the main plot. That makes the game feel too monotonous, you visit those cool unique areas, get new characters and bigger element levels but neither the story or gameplay progress in a satisfying way. They may be well-made as dungeons and varied in terms of themes but if they all convey the same emotion, there is a problem. Dead Sea is an outlier as it not only provides much needed narrative but also a boss fight that is challenging enough to make the battle system shine. The story should have been told more evenly across the game. The dual world mechanic also felt very superficial, you barely had any differences between both. Going to the alternate version of an area because you can't progress in the other one gets old fast, just like getting the lvl 7s of characters by going in the area where you met them but in the opposite world. If only they all had quests as engaging as Skelly's. A lot of them also lack presence in the main story. People wouldn't mind the absurd amount of characters if the game was balanced around getting to use all of them, for example if it prevented you from using most of them anytime anywhere.

Meanwhile the more "traditional" games like CT and FF simply had a much better balance of harmonies and dissonances to hook the player and motivate their progress. That's why CC is so underappreciated compared to them, even if it does offer certain aspects that those games don't have as much. I'm currently playing Baten Kaitos, apparently a lot of the CC staff worked on it. It has a lot of similarities to it but so far I'm enjoying that more due to the better pacing and much more robust battle system based on "consumables".

OP
OP
Cindi Mayweather
Oct 26, 2017
As someone with only casual knowledge of the two, one of the most common complaints I've seen over the years about Cross is how it undermines Trigger.

So yeah I think without that extra baggage it wouldn't be looked back on as negatively.

It only undermines it in the sense that it argues that the actions of the characters in Trigger wasn't necessarily for the best. For example, as Ishida said. The people of 2300 don't exist and will never exist on part of the fact that the crew "saved" the world from Lavos. And since humanity was surviving, despite Lavos, And if those people don't exist, you have an entire group of people who will never be born because of their actions. That's the only way it "undermines" Chrono Trigger - by arguing that despite good intentions, your actions in Trigger fucked a lot of things. The only way anyone can come to the conclusion the sequel undermines the original is if they think that the original should only ever be exalted, even story-wise, in-game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
like a lot of 32 bit era square RPGs i respect that it dared to do something different, had concepts that looked great on paper... but the execution was a mess. then the "chrono" denotation opens another can of worms

but in a vacuum it was a good game for its time. nowhere near the same stratosphere as Trigger and that's ok, but i think some get a little too sympathetic to its black sheep-ness

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
amazing game. i feel like people would have a completely different opinion of it if the characters/artstyle were by toriyama. that's just a hot-take i would never be able to prove though :)

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic post, great read. Cross was my introduction to the series having never owned a SNES, and I'm glad for it pricelessly because I didn't fall into that [extremely vocal] camp who panned it for not being Chrono Trigger. I was able to appreciate if solely on its merits and it remains one of my all-time cherished games.

The first couple of playthroughs I let Kid die. Seemed like the right thing to do, besides, Harle is life, who's needs anyone else? Turns out I did. Third playthrough I save her to see the other path and discovered Glenn. Kid never died again.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
amazing game. i feel like people would have a completely different opinion of it if the characters/artstyle were by toriyama. that's just a hot-take i would never be able to prove though :)
I really like Nobuteru Yuki's character designs. They're kinda all over the place but they have a lot of personality, which helps when the writing doesn't give a lot to go on.

OP
OP
Cindi Mayweather
Oct 26, 2017
What a fantastic thread.

And what else can I say, other than "welcome to the family!". I'm really glad that you decided to give the game a second chance, and that you ended up loving it!

I consider Cross to actually the best videogame sequel ever, to any franchise.

Shamelessly quoting myself from the other Cross thread:

"Cross is more about the consequences of the adventures of the previous game, and how all the time traveling and world-saving that Crono, Marle, Lucca and the others did, affects the lives of other people and the entire planet.

It happens in the same world (Year 1020 a.D.) but in a new location that only exists because of the events of Trigger.

Consider Cross as the "Back to the Future 2" of the franchise. If you saw that movie you will know that it is about the bigger consequences of time travel and how it can bring unintended consequences even if the intentions were good.

Cross is way darker and more melancholic that Trigger, but it's mainly because it deals with a couple of unresolved business from the first game. For example, remember when Marle gets erased from history, and she claims she was in a lonely, dark place? Well, Cross explains more about what that place is. And remember the people that you "saved" in the ruined future by defeating Lavos? Well, consider that you basically doomed them to the same fate that Marle suffered at that time. Adults, old people, and all the children you found in that horrible 2,300 a.D.? Well, you negated them their existence. Like playing God. And perhaps the main characters of Chrono Trigger were aware of this....

That's basically what Cross is about. Just have that in mind while playing it. It's about dealing with the consequences of such big changes in history, and how other people have to pay for it.

I've always understood when people complain about Cross going darker. That's a perfectly valid complaint. However, it is one of the main reasons I LOVED it. It is not afraid to be different, it is not afraid to turn things upside down. It makes you look at your actions in Trigger in a different way upon replays.

I cannot guarantee that you will like Cross. Perhaps you will find it too dark. Too different. But if you like sequels that have the balls to turn a lighthearted adventure into a philosophical and moral question, then you might enjoy it!

One thing is true, though. Cross has an "info dump" problem. Mainly because the developers ran out of time and budget at the end. The info dump being thrown at the main character actually makes sense from a storyline perspective, but it is still signs of a poor narrative at the end.

Also, beware of headcanons. Many people are quick to bash Cross because of headcanons they have. Go with an open mind, don't assume things."

Great write up. What other Cross thread?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I love this game as well. As a kid I had no idea what the fuck was going on it but the atmosphere is incredible.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As I said this is just what I observed online. I've actually not played Cross and only played about an hour of Trigger.

The big sticking point I've read is that
It basically made the first game pointless or killed the cast off or something like that?

As I said those were reactions I read a lot online.

Yes and No. But that's the point of Cross, showing what happens when you mess up with time.

My favorite PS1 RPG for sure, I could never bring myself to NOT save Kid, only had two playthroughs, so I never saw Glenn and some others characters.

OP
OP
Cindi Mayweather
Oct 26, 2017
Ew.

I think Tobal 2 is a good place to start with transferring Toriyama art to psx era 3d. I think it'd fit the game perfectly. I think Toriyama would should have been the only one from the dream team to come back and I wonder why they didn't as his art and designs are big part of Trigger's appeal.

Raine

Nov 21, 2017
I remember watching my sister play and then following up with a playthrough by myself afterwards, but being that I was still quite young playing this game, I could never fully grasp the story and the whole idea of the alternate worlds.

That, however, never stopped me from constantly reminiscing the amazing soundtrack that accompanied the game. It eventually led me to re-purchase the game from eBay a couple years ago; at the time when the PS2 had been released, my sister had stupidly traded in a decent chunk of our PS1 games for one (still slowly recollecting our old PS1 library to this day).

I still haven't gotten around to replaying the game, but I definitely want to spend time diving into the story and properly understanding it now that I'm older.

Nov 1, 2017
Chrono Cross is a fascinating game and a sequel that truly does strike out on its own and succeed despite being in Trigger's long shadow. Shame that such a strong series with two distinct and important entries is probably forever in limbo.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The Chrono Cross team went on to make Final Fantasy XI, the influences are obvious especially in the OG areas.

amokk0

Oct 27, 2017
I realized that Chrono Cross was a great game when I felt genuinely sad at the battle with Miguel.

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Still one of the best soundtracks ever made. And to me, the game is better than Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross is a special game and it did some really ambitious things.