• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
lol even if we believe they needed 3 quarters of a billion to cover expenses , everything from here on is profits. now let me remind you that we havent even heard a peep about the multiplayer, which almost certainly has batlle royale and will probably bring in chunks of the gta0 audience.

Pretty sure playstation and Xbox recieve 30% of that.

Will still easily cover costs but 8 years and thousands of employees is a massive upfront cost

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand this. The game never seemed very mainstream or iconic to me, especially considering it's theme and time-period. Sure, quality looks amazing, but confounds me how it would beat out other, much more established and accessible titles.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand this. The game never seemed very mainstream or iconic to me, especially considering it's theme and time-period. Sure, quality looks amazing, but confounds me how it would beat out other, much more established and accessible titles.

Rockstar's name alone.
RDR 1 being one of the highest rated games of last gen.
GTA 5 being one of the highest rated of last gen and highest selling.

It couldn't have gone any other way.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Struggling Rockstar needs every penny of those miscrostransactions

But happy to see SP games are still selling big
Both SP are well worth $60, RDR2 has a run time of 50 hours on main missions only, there's a massive epilogue after that and not to mention side stories and content. I mean seriously this is probably the best $60 you will pay this year if you are ok with Rockstar's gameplay

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
R* brand basically, their releases has became a big event after GTAV and even before during post GTA3. GTAVI will be massive

Dec 2, 2017

I think many people underestimate the pull the name Rockstar has. This is their first game this generation. It is a game from the people who made GTA 5. The first RDR is an acclaimed and beloved game. The marketing campaign in the days before launch was insane. That's really all that was needed here.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Can we PLEASE stop listening to the UK sales? It's been proven, again and again and again, that they're no longer representative of the worldwide sales of the game.
Or just take them for what they are and don't overreact. I took the UK sales as a sign that a big launch like this was coming, since RDR2 smashed Black Ops 4's UK launch.

Anyways, with digital included next year UK charts should be much more representative compared to historical data again.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017

also, fomo
and the rockstar thing of 1 event game every 5 years
and there are millions plyaing gtao daily who are willing to take a chance on another rockstar game

This game selling well does not mean we'll be getting glacial Western games with flaky controls from MS, Sony, Ubi, and EA anytime soon.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lol 'opening weekend'

Hey guys make sure we launch on a weekend this time so we have some PR for when we don't outsell GTA V

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably going to make close to the same next week then. Almost 2 billion in 10 days I think.

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017
This PR is something. First, the distinction between opening weekend and first 3 days (so they can excluded GTA 5). And then the confusing "worldwide retail sell-through", so it looks like they are speaking about sales to consumers and not shipment.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This PR is something. First, the distinction between opening weekend and first 3 days (so they can excluded GTA 5). And then the confusing "worldwide retail sell-through", so it looks like they are speaking about sales to consumers and not shipment.

The former is indeed PR nonsense.
The latter part is sales to consumers.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Activision calls out Playstation store sales for cod and destiny the past two years as being the best ever something. Now rockstar has joined them. Wonder if Sony has some sort of agreement alongside their marketing deals for specific callouts like this

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Assuming an ASP of $60. We can assume worldwide retail sell through in the region of 12m units.

But that's an estimate based on a $60 ASP. With special editions the ASP is probably higher.

I think that's pretty close considering in 2015 FO4 shipped 12 million copies and generated 750 million dollars.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking Rockstar just prints diamonds lol. I know the game took time and had a huge budget so it's good to hear. Now Rockstar can invest a ton in their next bully game

Oct 27, 2017

It's Rockstar. The name alone carries a ton of weight. They haven't had a new game in 5 years. Plus the original Red Dead Redemption was well liked and very successful. If anyone else had released the same game, I don't think it would have been near as successful. It is as slow, but brilliant, game.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I genuinely think it's one the greatest games ever made after you get your head around everything. Just constantly surprises me.

Well deserved.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I wanna see how this game affects console sales. Sony has official bundle and Microsoft has their own too.