• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
From a PC mention on a Rockstar employees' linkedin to a retailer posting a listing for the PC version of Red Dead Redemption 2, rumours have been flying around like crazy speculating that the game will have an appearance on Steam sooner or later.

However, the most concrete rumour so far has appeared - inside the files of the Red Dead Redemption 2 Companion App. That's right, the app itself has references to a PC version and multiple settings that would come with it! See for yourself!

Z8AR4tL.png

Full list is here.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This is me pretending to be shocked: Whaaaaaaaaaat?! PC version? But they said there isn't one!

OP
OP
Rodjer

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
The question is - are we getting this before or after the next gen port?

In the best scenario, Spring 2019 or Late 2019, in the worst scenario, same date as PS5, Xbox Next version, in the nightmare scenario, after PS5 and Xbox Next versions.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They would probably release the PC version after next gen versions. Doubling dipping is probably a part of the market and they would have be able to have "new" products to see every year while they make the next GTA, which we would probably only see in 2024 at this rate.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
100% before. We got GTA V on next gen before PC because when GTA V came out, next gen was just a month away. Next gen of now isn't even announced and rockstar won't wait till 2021 to release the port (assuming next gen comes in h2 2020)

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Really wish Rockstar would just do what every other publisher does and launch the PC version simultaneously with the console versions. Having to wait 6-12 months is pretty ridiculous. I know it gets people to double-dip but it's pretty asinine for PC-only players. RDR2 deserves to be played at 60 FPS, not a variable 30.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Without speculating on time frame, I think we are 100% going to get individual releases for (in no particular order) PC/Steam, the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett.

The wild card, as far as how it's handled, is probably Scarlett, because there will be a traditional console as well as a cheaper console that relies heavily on xCloud streaming. So depending on internet connection, It will be interesting to see what kind of experience RDR2 might be like streaming to the cheap console. I am of course assuming the traditional full fat console will significant;y more powerful than Xbox One X, and like PS5, a next-gen version of RDR2 will be similar to the PC version running on mid-range 2020 PC hardware.

I'd expect the common string with RDR2 on PC and next-gen consoles (barring xCloud streaming if you have a slow connection)
is that it'll be 60fps, like GTAV on PC.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's well known the code for RDR was a mess so it's most likely the same here and this is just leftovers/random code being left in

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's well known the code for RDR was a mess so it's most likely the same here and this is just leftovers/random code being left in
So they're aware that they made a mess with the first game, and continue doing so for the sequel even though they know that they're basically losing money by ignoring the PC market.

Sounds like a good business decision to me.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

No, this time, I don't think RDR2 will remain exclusive to the PS4 consoles and Xbox One consoles. It'll be on PC and almost certainly next-gen consoles as well.

There's no way in heck they ended up with code that was such a mess for a second time that it doesn't get released on more platforms.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Hopefully it's in 6 months or so, played a lot of it at my friends house, was enjoying it & would love to play it at 60fps. Trying not to give in & buy it for my PS4 Pro.

Oct 25, 2017
Funny that they're still using "Durango" and "Orbis" to refer to Xbox One and PS4 when there's separate names for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro (Scorpio and Neo)

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
In the best scenario, Spring 2019 or Late 2019, in the worst scenario, same date as PS5, Xbox Next version, in the nightmare scenario, after PS5 and Xbox Next versions.
Both, PS5 and NextBox will be backwards compatible. So I don't think "next-gen ports" will happen anymore. Just like on PC. There might be some exceptions here and there, that bring a substantial improvement with new engines etc. But I think that will be rare.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole situation with GTA V was a pretty unique occurrence with Rockstar and the PC versions. Usually they get announced around 6 -7 months later so if it comes to PC I expect it to be announced in April/May and released in June. Maybe a few months later than that but I'm reckoning in 2019. I'm honestly in no rush since I've got so much stuff to play so if it comes to PC awesome, if not I'll pick it up cheap later on PS4.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I dunno if there will be a Next Gen version of RDR2, PS5/NextBox will likely have BC & RDR2 is already 4K on XBX. The Next Gen version of GTAV had far better visuals to sell, 1080p & most importantly FPS mode, RDR2 on PS5 couldn't offer much more than better shadows, draw distance, maybe 60fps etc.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Could just be for debugging and development, or even holdovers from a previous incarnation of the app. (Did GTA V have a companion app?)

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Could just be for debugging and development, or even holdovers from a previous incarnation of the app. (Did GTA V have a companion app?)

Yeah, it's probably based on GTA V one and also seemingly companion app shared code with tools used internally for debugging game on consoles.

Funny that they're still using "Durango" and "Orbis" to refer to Xbox One and PS4 when there's separate names for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro (Scorpio and Neo)

If it works, don't touch it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Yes but it was totally different than RDR one. I am not sure how real time map update in RDR app works but if it is the same like Black Flag one you need to be connected on same network. And that line of code "autoconnectIpPC" could be that.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Was going to buy it on PC, but this money grabbing is reprehensible.