impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
People switching over to an xbox one x simply because of rdr2 being superior on it are absolutely ridiculous! Each to their own, but it is a bit silly, especially when rockstar haven't even commented on a potential 'fix' if there is one.

The ps4 has far more exclusives and even multi platform titles on par with the x, so there are very few reasons to own microsofts console.

I expect the vaseline issue to be resolved but it does remind of the gta4 situation where the ps3 version was quite blurry compared to the 360. Patches weren't as regular back then, but if the community are vocal enough rockstar will fix this. It is sony who are feeding rockstar and not microsoft, so i am sure they are smart enough to pay attention to them.

If this is a case of ensuring that the game is effectively '4k' then i really do not know what to say! In this case a toggle to 1800p will do.

Have more people tried this on the pro pre patch?
Insecure much? Talking about random multiplats and exclusives in the Red Dead Digital Foundry thread lol

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I would say there are enough reasons for the switch and most likely this is the tip of the iceberg. Coming multiplayer games might start to show even bigger differences.. And then there is the game pass and bc features..

All in all, it is not totally unreasonable for the switch. But it can also be that many guys/gals here have 500 quid just laying around so.. ;)

We probably have another year of this generation left and its sony who have the best exclusives next year, again.

I can get the tech fanatics wanting to get an x, but gamers who are swapping the pro for the x are ridiculous!

The main issue i have with the image is that it seems quite bright or washed out and turning hdr off in the game doesn't resolve the issue on the ps4 pro. On the whole it looks brilliant, but the character models are pretty bad when compared to other top titles.

vkbest

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
It's really downsampling to 1080p on PS4 Pro? This game is pretty silent on my console like no patched or 1080p locked games

Besides the framerate looks perfect and the game is not blurred like some pics I saw here

I think the game is 1080p or custom resolution (no CR) when the pro is plugged to 1080p screen

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Also, with HDR off I feel like my PS4 Pro is a tad more silent (not entirely sure though, but since HDR requires ressources I wouldn't be totally surprised).

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
People switching over to an xbox one x simply because of rdr2 being superior on it are absolutely ridiculous! Each to their own, but it is a bit silly, especially when rockstar haven't even commented on a potential 'fix' if there is one.

The ps4 has far more exclusives and even multi platform titles on par with the x, so there are very few reasons to own microsofts console.

I expect the vaseline issue to be resolved but it does remind of the gta4 situation where the ps3 version was quite blurry compared to the 360. Patches weren't as regular back then, but if the community are vocal enough rockstar will fix this. It is sony who are feeding rockstar and not microsoft, so i am sure they are smart enough to pay attention to them.
People can switch if they want to and honestly, i don't see why that should bother you in any way?

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

If this is a case of ensuring that the game is effectively '4k' then i really do not know what to say! In this case a toggle to 1800p will do.

People can switch if they want to and honestly, i don't see why that should bother you in any way?
Most people don't even switch, they just add the One X to their collection of consoles to play multi platform titles there if a games version is better there.

Sucks, but I can't justify buying a X over this. Gonna install on pro tomorrow and just go with it.
You will be fine there. You still play the 2nd best version of the game. This situation is not new with multi platform games since the release of the Xbox One X.

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

What's this about switching? You need not own only one console.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I would say there are enough reasons for the switch and most likely this is the tip of the iceberg. Coming multiplayer games might start to show even bigger differences.. And then there is the game pass and bc features..

All in all, it is not totally unreasonable for the switch. But it can also be that many guys/gals here have 500 quid just laying around so.. ;)
Not even £500... You can get a 1x with rdr, fh4 and forza 7 for £ 399. Crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
No idea why anyone is responding to game forever troll. Look at his post history.

Here are a few beauties

Why would playstation owners want to play xbox owners? The whole thing is ridiculous and we might as well just have one platform

When asked if anyone moved from pro for x?

No idea why any one would so this!

I didn't buy into PlayStation so I could play with xbox players - infact i would rather avoid them!

greekwolf

Oct 28, 2017
We probably have another year of this generation left and its sony who have the best exclusives next year, again.

I can get the tech fanatics wanting to get an x, but gamers who are swapping the pro for the x are ridiculous!

The main issue i have with the image is that it seems quite bright or washed out and turning hdr off in the game doesn't resolve the issue on the ps4 pro. On the whole it looks brilliant, but the character models are pretty bad when compared to other top titles.

Who kicked sand in your vagina? Good grief...

Oct 27, 2017

Please stop calling people ridiculous for wanting to play a game on one console or another. Thank you.

gruenel

Oct 27, 2017
It's really downsampling to 1080p on PS4 Pro? This game is pretty silent on my console like no patched or 1080p locked games

Besides the framerate looks perfect and the game is not blurred like some pics I saw here

I think the game is 1080p or custom resolution (no CR) when the pro is plugged to 1080p screen
I think so too. I played with that setup for a few hours yesterday and I gotta say the game looks gorgeous. No blur or jaggies, locked 30 fps, silent console. I was concerned after reading this thread yesterday but now that I played I'm really happy with this.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
I think so too. I played with that setup for a few hours yesterday and I gotta say the game looks gorgeous. No blur or jaggies, locked 30 fps, silent console. I was concerned after reading this thread yesterday but now that I played I'm really happy with this.
That's cos they are just comparing it with one X. It isn't blurry it looks gorgeous. But compared to one X it obv looks worse so people assume it looks like a PS2 game because of it. Welcome to the internet.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has nothing to do with One X, just need to compare to Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman or God of War, AC Odyssey on PS4 Pro for example...

Or non-reconstruction implementations in games such as Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, which switch between native 1350p and 1584p upscaled and don't look as soft or blurry.

gruenel

Oct 27, 2017
Or non-reconstruction implementations in games such as Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, which switch between native 1350p and 1584p upscaled and don't look as soft or blurry.
It has nothing to do with One X, just need to compare to Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman or God of War, AC Odyssey on PS4 Pro for example...
We were talking about playing in 1080p though. I just played Horizon before this and to be honest I don't even notice a difference in IQ, it's so clean. Maybe I'm going blind.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I watched my cousin play this on his PS4 Pro and we couldn't believe how blurry it was. This is on his 4k tv. He's gonna try to play this on his 1080p monitor without downsampling to see if it's there's less vaseline filter going on.

Voxels

Oct 27, 2017
So I made it to chapter 2...I took at gander at a vista. The amount of artifacts all over over. Extreme pixelation on whole image. A 1080p image truly looks cleaner.

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it true that a TVs game mode setting when ON lowers picture quality? If so, should I turn game mode off for this game?

Oct 25, 2017
What's this about switching? You need not own only one console.

But you can only pledge fealty to one console maker.

Man, this is sad. It's purely a matter of opinion that Sony will have the better year. You'll get a handful of exclusives, but if you're buying many games, most will be multiplats that play and look better on 1X. You don't have to be ridiculous to favor that proposition, especially if Sony's games don't appeal.

Deleted member 8688

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HDR is broken, some people might think it's fine but it really isn't. I'm expecting it to be fixed.

Looks like those 100 hour working weeks weren't enough hey R*.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
I have both pro and Xbox I have seen game running on both. surprisingly I do feel the difference in graphics is massive. usually these things are overblown but in this case I think massive is the right word.

Oct 25, 2017
I had my hand on the buy button a little bit ago.

Now I'm starting to see a lot of complaints about the game itself. I didnt even finish the single player of GTA5 and disliked GTA4. I'm hearing they play a lot alike.

Between that and the subpar effort from R* we got from reconstruction I haven't purchased yet. If i do buy I'm going to play on base and 1080 because the blur would drive me insane.

Someone said their is a slider for sharpness and it's set all the way up. If it's on pro turn it down and it will get rid of some of that.

Anyway still undecided and I'm also still in the middle of SM.
I'd wait, especially if you didn't like the last couple GTA's. It's certainly a divisive game and the initial reviews aren't very informative. You'll see a lot more reasoned analysis in the coming weeks and should have a clearer picture of whether it's right for you or not.

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
I turned HDR off, and it looks so much better. Before, it was washed out, dark, and grey.

HDR is one of the best things about this generation of games...so disappointed they didn't do it well in RDR2.

It's like FH3 which is terrible in HDR vs FH4 which is amazing.

It's also something that Devs never seem to fix for some reason.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
I feel like I'm doing something wrong, cause I have no issues so far with HDR on Xbox One X and everyone seems to be complaining about the HDR implementation on RDR2... maybe I will turn it off to see how it goes lol

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It's ok to own more than one console. PlayStation 4 is great no doubt, but the Xbox One X is an amazing system as well. A lot of those people are just adding the Xbox to their console collection to enjoy what it has to offer, nothing ridiculous about it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd wait, especially if you didn't like the last couple GTA's. It's certainly a divisive game and the initial reviews aren't very informative. You'll see a lot more reasoned analysis in the coming weeks and should have a clearer picture of whether it's right for you or not.

I would honestly say that we will see a lot of Sony fans saying the game isn't as good as reviews. I would like to see the split of Xbox one x owners over Sony fans who feel burnt by the port.

The game is incredible imo but there is a negative vibe about the game due to the pro version.

We could also see Sony fans with buyers remorse stating why did I buy an Xbox one x for this?

For personal reference I think the game is incredible.

Oct 26, 2017
I would honestly say that we will see a lot of Sony fans saying the game isn't as good as reviews. I would like to see the split of Xbox one x owners over Sony fans who feel burnt by the port.

The game is incredible imo but there is a negative vibe about the game due to the pro version.

We could also see Sony fans with buyers remorse stating why did I buy an Xbox one x for this?

For personal reference I think the game is incredible.
Peak era

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
You have to turn off on a system level, go to settings - > display and sound -> video output - > video modes and turn off the HDR, don't forget to turn on again while playing another game
oof that's annoying — i'll test it out. i feel like the game looks fuckin incredible as is so we'll see. it'd probably be harder to compare without the toggle. for some rzn ps4 users can toggle it on/off

Deleted member 20433

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played maybe 4-5 hours yesterday on my PS4P. The game looks incredible, one of the most impressive games I've seen. I was really close to buy a X1X yesterday but didn't. After playing it I can safetely say that I'm more than happy how the game looks in "4k" on my Pro.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Ok just booted in SDR and people are either dealing w glitches or trippin bc it looks much better in HDR and looks faded in SDR. Super weird.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Played maybe 4-5 hours yesterday on my PS4P. The game looks incredible, one of the most impressive games I've seen. I was really close to buy a X1X yesterday but didn't. After playing it I can safetely say that I'm more than happy how the game looks in "4k" on my Pro.

Good choice. The game looks and plays good on PS4P.
Spending so much money for one game is crazy when you know next gen is so close. 1,5 year and no one cares anymore about x1x. Or Pro for that matter