WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
I do have 10-15 year old consoles that still work great. Maybe you need to take better care of them.

Didn't mean it literally as 10-20 years but more that having physical games doesn't necessarily mean that your games will work indefinitely. Many times it's nearly vital to install the day one patch in order to get the best experience out of a game these days. In 20 years if the servers or network is no longer supported it won't be that you're not affected at all because you went physical.

I understand the pros of physical and I don't want to dismiss them out of hand, but there's nothing wrong with going digital either. Both have pros and cons and whatever fits your lifestyle is cool.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. It's 92GB for me.

For the ones on hold you need to select "Cancel and Delete" and then re-download them from the Library. That's why I hate when DLC downloads at the same time as the game because it will finish downloading in two seconds then get stuck on "Waiting to install" forever unless you delete them and redownload after the game download finishes.
Mine stated 92GB while it was downloading, but once the download was over and I checked the next day it said 98.15GB. I think maybe once the pre-load is over it then installs the "day one patch" which adds the additional 7GB? If that is the case I'm glad it's that way so that I don't have to wait longer once it unlocks on Thursday to then download and install the day one patch.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone literally explain the size of this game to me because I feel like I've heard a dozen different things at this point lmao

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone literally explain the size of this game to me because I feel like I've heard a dozen different things at this point lmao

I don't know what the definitive answer is yet, but I guess one more take would be that after Dan Houser was touting the size of the script "It stands 8ft tall" "80 page scripts for NPC's" "Over 500,000 lines of dialogue" I would imagine a lot of it will be audio. This coupled with usual advancements in complexity of the game world compared to games from earlier in this generation. And I would hope to think a sizable chunk being from online? If not it is going to be ridiculous to download another 50GB or something in November before RDO launches.

Don't think that was the most official explanation to the size but my thoughts on it. haha

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what the definitive answer is yet, but I guess one more take would be that after Dan Houser was touting the size of the script "It stands 8ft tall" "80 page scripts for NPC's" "Over 500,000 lines of dialogue" I would imagine a lot of it will be audio. This coupled with usual advancements in complexity of the game world compared to games from earlier in this generation. And I would hope to think a sizable chunk being from online? If not it is going to be ridiculous to download another 50GB or something in November before RDO launches.
i feel like we're definitely going to have to download at least another 25gb or so for the online lol. still excited as hell for this game though. it doesn't bother me too much cuz i tend to play one game at a time and then move on to something else once i finish it, so i don't mind clearing up some space but it's confusing that no one seems to have a definitive answer

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like we're definitely going to have to download at least another 25gb or so for the online lol. still excited as hell for this game though. it doesn't bother me too much cuz i tend to play one game at a time and then move on to something else once i finish it, so i don't mind clearing up some space but it's confusing that no one seems to have a definitive answer
Yeah, I think we'll find out once the game releases. Rockstar has pretty much clamped down on everything pre-launch and in many ways even more so than usual. Like, compared to the presence of this game the marketing behind it has been negligible. We still don't really know *that* much about the moment to moment gameplay besides just what previewers have stated in their limited hands-on time with the game.

Ridiculously hyped for this though. Counting down the next few days is going to be excruciating as fuck haha

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
How long is going to take to install this from the disc?.
Rough estimate would be like 40 min? I read earlier in this thread someone saying the physical disc for Spider-Man took an hour and that's half the size of this. But I find it hard to believe it would take 2 hours for this. If it does I'm sure they'll have it partitioned where you'll be able to start up the game and play the beginning while it continues installing in the background.

From what I've read in previews the beginning of the game is pretty narratively driven and you're not let loose into the open world until maybe 2 hours in. So I could see it working that way.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Title should probably be changed to 98.15, which is the current size of the digital install.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on the 4K texture pack on PS4 pro?
To my knowledge I've cursorily only heard about 4K texture packs in reference to the X1X. Possibly because PS4Pro doesn't hit true 4K but checkerboard instead so it might not be sizable enough to be highlighted as a separate texture pack. I could be wrong though

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To my knowledge I've cursorily only heard about 4K texture packs in reference to the X1X. Possibly because PS4Pro doesn't hit true 4K but checkerboard instead so it might not be sizable enough to be highlighted as a separate texture pack. I could be wrong though
Is RDR2 is going to be Native 4K on XBox 1 X?

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Mar 17, 2018

Don't think that was the most official explanation to the size but my thoughts on it. haha

I will be needing a 2TB WD SSD sooner than I thought for my PS4 lol. Because of me playing mostly online games not on my PC my PS4 might need the 2TB SSD. Games like this are crazy, and I hate redownloading MP games.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

"4K textures" has absolutely nothing to do with output resolution or "native" vs "checkerboard" and everything to do with available gpu memory to the system of which the one x has more than the ps4 and pro.

It's just higher quality textures really and you can spot that if you render to 1080p as well.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
"4K textures" has absolutely nothing to do with output resolution or "native" vs "checkerboard" and everything to do with available gpu memory to the system of which the one x has more than the ps4 and pro.

It's just higher quality textures really and you can spot that if you render to 1080p as well.
This "4K textures" thing is so stupid, developers should just call them ultra textures or something to stop confusing people.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
I will be needing a 2TB WD SSD sooner than I thought for my PS4 lol. Because of me playing mostly online games not on my PC my PS4 might need the 2TB SSD. Games like this are crazy, and I hate redownloading MP games.
Most definitely, I had my cousin help install a 2TB HDD on my PS4 and I'm so glad I did. I love having my entire library right there for whenever I need it. Definitely worth it for the convenience and I think it'll be enough to get me through this generation at least.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't mean it literally as 10-20 years but more that having physical games doesn't necessarily mean that your games will work indefinitely. Many times it's nearly vital to install the day one patch in order to get the best experience out of a game these days. In 20 years if the servers or network is no longer supported it won't be that you're not affected at all because you went physical.

I understand the pros of physical and I don't want to dismiss them out of hand, but there's nothing wrong with going digital either. Both have pros and cons and whatever fits your lifestyle is cool.
Citation needed.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Is this the future of gaming ? If so I'm probably going to stay away from AAA games , well most of them

Edit unless they can somehow increase download and install speeds