Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure, but I'd assume a deer and rabbit won't feed 20+ people past a meal. I just donate all my catches to them honestly. I just skin animals as I go and bring it back later. You get some meat from skinning them, but not as much as if you brought the whole body.
Right and I like hunting but being able to carry a single deer back is super tedious. How many pelts can you carry at a time? And when you skin them does the meat automatically go into your inventory?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
After trying to defend rdr2 saying rdr1 opening was pretty boring too..

I take it back. 2's opening is unbelievably boring it's almost put me off the game completely.
Was it because you just wanted to have freedom to go anywhere?

For me it was great. Because the first couple hours were restrictive I felt I was learning the land and a handful of the characters to get invested. The way it slowly opens up nearby areas also continued to help me become familiar with landmarks and gang members.

Getting the fishing pole... Now that's some shit that took too long

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
One thing about the combat that I don't like is how the sensitivity seems to change when my cursor is on an enemy. Like it gets much faster when I'm aiming at an enemy than it is when I'm not. Makes aiming really difficult when the sensitivity is all over the place.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish I was single right now.

My other half doesn't want to watch me playing games. No matter how impressive they are.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the manual save was part of the Pause menu and not in Story. Minor complaint, but I remember being able to save quicker in RDR1.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Right and I like hunting but being able to carry a single deer back is super tedious. How many pelts can you carry at a time? And when you skin them does the meat automatically go into your inventory?

I've stuffed multiple pelts on the back of my horse and had no problem. I get the weird message saying I don't have room, but I obviously do lol. When near or on your horse, open the satchel by holding right on dpad. There should be a section that says horse or whatever. You can fill up to as many spaces as there is. I believe the same animal pelt will stack with space, it just has to be of same quality. For example, two good deer pelts would stack, but a good and poor deer pelt wouldn't and would need a space each. I might be wrong on that, but I believe that's right. Always save your stow on the back for super big game like alligators or elks. You have to skin them and their pelts are treated like a deer, where you can only care one at a time. You also get two small game stows, one on each side of the horse.

The game doesn't explain any of it lol

Edit: also, skinning small game or birds will have Arthur put it in his personal satchel, not the horses. When donating or selling, you can tab over to just your satchel, or the horses. You don't have to take off the game from the horse.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't done any story since starting Chapter 2. Just been wandering around and doing random shit. This game is a little janky honestly. The more I play it, the more I realize it. Dying feels stupid especially. It takes whatever you were doing away and you basically just have to move on. I've also had things randomly disappear on me like guns. :/

Anyway... I did all the gunslinger quest but I can't find the writer at the Saloon anymore. Where is he now? Another thing about this game that bugs me is that it's not exactly crystal clear where to go next on side stuff at all. Or where any side things are.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
oqT1YsA.gif

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe 15-20 poker hands in total throughout the game and I have yet to get even a pair. A fucking pair. I can't believe my luck lol.

e: soon as I say that I get 5 spades lol.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone beat the game? Is the main game really 50-60 hours? Im guessing Ill love the story, but often get bored of open world sidequests. Assuming this isnt Witcher level quality of sidequests.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I haven't done any story since starting Chapter 2. Just been wandering around and doing random shit. This game is a little janky honestly. The more I play it, the more I realize it. Dying feels stupid especially. It takes whatever you were doing away and you basically just have to move on. I've also had things randomly disappear on me like guns. :/

Anyway... I did all the gunslinger quest but I can't find the writer at the Saloon anymore. Where is he now? Another thing about this game that bugs me is that it's not exactly crystal clear where to go next on side stuff at all. Or where any side things are.

I can't find gunslinger writer either lol. I loved meeting all of them though and Black Betty was my favorite. Crazy ol' lady lol.

Rorschach

Oct 25, 2017
It took me a while to figure out how hitchhiking works (I'm pretty early in chapter 2, so maybe a future mission covers this...?). Anyway, you do a Callout to a wagon/stagecoach, then Request a Ride, then you have to press square (PS4) to actually get on.

I couldn't for the life of me figure that last part out. At one point I got angry and pressed triangle, which got me a Wanted level.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I love that this has draw dominoes. Is there somewhere where the stakes are higher than a couple bucks?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Can we donate whole carcasses to the camp? I may be missing it. I just end up skinning it and giving pieces to the camp.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I am baffled by the consensus that the first chapter is 'boring'. I was gripped immediately. It's so elegantly and deliberately paced. Y'all are fuckin' weird.

Agreed. It's incredible! Some people just want to shoot things all the time. I'm glad the game is slow paced instead.

Can we donate whole carcasses to the camp? I may be missing it. I just end up skinning it and giving pieces to the camp.

Leave it on your horse and donate it from the menu at Pearson's table.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone beat the game? Is the main game really 50-60 hours? Im guessing Ill love the story, but often get bored of open world sidequests. Assuming this isnt Witcher level quality of sidequests.

The game unfortunately doesn't seem to track time played, but I'd imagine I'm somewhere around 20 hours played with around 65% of the main missions done, so nah, I reckon you could definitely finish the main story in 25-30 hours if you focused on them.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I struggled a bit with the shooting at first but now I'm really really feeling it. I think my early struggles were mostly due to the low health you start off with and the Dead Eye limitations. Now that I've leveled up both it's feeling real nice.

Was just terminator walking through a town absolutely destroying fools during a mission. Took some adjusting coming from RDR, which I was actively playing before RDR2 dropped, and I think I enjoy the combat in RDR2 it more. Love how tapping RT will quick draw and shoot the guy in front of you. The added gore is also a huge plus.

Dead eye is pretty OP once you begin unlock some of the advanced stuff and manage it with tonics lol, it's a great bailout but I hate having to rely on it. I still think the way the aiming feels on the sticks do not feel tight enough, and are kind of wonky. But I like how there's a timing to your shots since you have to cock your gun and the circle around the reticle is a pretty good que on when you're good to fire. Constantly mashing the trigger results in a pretty huge accuracy and damage penalty it seems. Pretty cool imo. They also took a card from RE4 with how you move while trying to steady your shot, but they took it to the next level with the wobble penalty you get while trying to walk and shoot at once. The reward for landing those shots? Looking like a badass cowboy. Still think they should've went the Max Payne route with the aiming all together (I still don't have a setting that I really like... to add to the MP3 comment: it was also able to nail physics, animation, and responsiveness in a great way). Even with the deadzone slider all the way down I still feel like there is some deadzone and that the stick isn't matching well with my movement.

Either way, I think the gunplay gets better when you find the guns you like. Cattlemans Revolver is trash, Double Action for life. The Springfield and Bolt Action rifles feel amazing.

Side Note: Duel revolver loadout + dead eye + unleashing all your clips = heaven.

EDIT: Extra Side Note: To those that are struggling in gunfights, makes sure to get the timing of you gun and shots down. They all vary. Also, make sure you are using the right guns close range, mid range, and long range.

Last edited:

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everywhere possible. I think Keiran also gave that hint during an early mission to always search the chimneys.

Found good things such Rum that permanently increases stamina or $150. I can give the locations to those at least.

The pirate Rum is in that crazy death cult hut near the hidden stash in the big tree, the $150 in the house you break into with Hosea at Carmody Dell

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I said I was done with Rockstar games after GTA5 due to the fact the controls barely improve, but couldn't resist. Yeah, the controls feel worse. I end up accidentally shooting a hostage, and have to replay the entire mission. Trying to move while in a gunfight like a snail, I mean really? Slow ass looting? I'm sure I'll get sucked in to the setting and storyline, but fuck their gameplay. OK, rant over.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very, very unlikely unfortunately. Ever since GTA 4 their games felt like shit to actually play.
RDR2 really puts it on another level though, you are not really controlling Arthur but rather suggesting him to take a certain direction. And then wait for him to do it...in some way...at his own pace.

This is definitely how it feels to me.

I'm a couple of hours into Chapter 2, and I'm really enjoying the atmosphere of the world, but the experience so far has been mostly frustration and confusion.

Also, does anyone know what happens when you die? Like what is the logic in where it chooses to put you after respawning? I was tracking that legendary bear and it got the best of me. I respawned somewhere else and had no idea how to get back to wherever the bear was, so I just gave up.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Did you find the cabin the prisonier was talking about?

I saved that same prisoner, and I think I found that cabin he was talking about.

It's just north of the Little Creek River in West Elizabeth at the end of a creepy road headed into the woods.

Also,

There's a funny little NPC interaction when you step inside, and you can get a semi auto shotgun.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is definitely how it feels to me.

I'm a couple of hours into Chapter 2, and I'm really enjoying the atmosphere of the world, but the experience so far has been mostly frustration and confusion.
That was me yesterday.

Today I got used to it more and less random jank happened to me. I think the game clicked with me now.

Turning up the camera acceleration almost to maximum and sensitivity higher as well made the experience a bit more fluid, too.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Woke up in camp rode out....saw a rainbow.....no..a double rainbow...

I just sat there dumb founded, in all my years playing video games i never seen a rainbow in a open world game or any game really...well outside of rainbow road in Mario kart.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I wish this had a similar thing to AC:O where you could set the horse to auto travel to your waypoint

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
So what do you do with animal carcasses? I killed a legendary wolf, skinned it and then picked up the carcass and brought it back to camp. The butcher guy said he wouldn't accept it. So I put it back on my horse and rode to valentine to see if anyone would there. It decomposed and fell off my horse on the way lol

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it. This was my suspicion. No retrying anything but story missions I guess.

I've been able to retry side missions but if I, let's say, ran into people blocking a bridge and there was a shootout. If they kill me, that's it. I go back there and there's nothing. Same for a legendary bear that I was hunting. He killed me, now he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.