• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm... I originally preordered the physical edition, but the prospect of switching disks or keeping the disk in the drive is unappealing. So I cancelled my physical preorder and preordered the digital PS4 from Best Buy. But Best Buy is saying preload doesn't start until October 23rd? Maybe they're not getting codes until then? Tempted to cancel that and get it from PSN I guess if I can start preloading earlier. My internet is fine with Steam games and all but I remember when I had to preload God of War, the PSN download speeds were painfully slow, so I'll probably need all the time I can get to download RDR2.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For the new page, does this mean that for the Xbox version of the game, it's going to require 107gb to download the game? So there will be 107gb that's needed to download? I remember reading that it said 89gb on the Xbox dashboard...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
For the new page, does this mean that for the Xbox version of the game, it's going to require 107gb to download the game? So there will be 107gb that's needed to download? I remember reading that it said 89gb on the Xbox dashboard...

Preloads start tomorrow so we'll know for sure soon.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thank god for my 2 tb ps4pro and new 400mbit internet speed

Is this the first time a game was so huge? I dont remember downloading anything bigger than 60 gb

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
People wiping out their hard drives like:

6cc06d2b6f3d79959afd3ef12104a9fe5f37ef8f_hq.gif

9a36a0b642e8b378af193f5749ff7d2a.gif

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I went on the RDR reddit page and someone in Australia is downloading the game and it says it is 92gb. I'm not sure what that means then.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Does anyone know how installation works on the consoles? Does the Xbox One decompress files on the fly as it's downloading with a hardware chip or something and the PS4 can't?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's 2 discs, pretty sure. There's a lot of evidence now.

1) That Japanese PS4 box (don't have it to hand, sorry)
2) This double wide case (EDITED, probably fake)
3) The fact that the Digital Download only takes 50GB extra space when installing rather than the usual DOUBLE the size. The .pkg system will follow the disc structure, so it will download disc 1 .pkg, install, then disc 2 .pkg.

Not sure about XB1 as all the pictures we have are based on PS4 so far. But unless there's something funky in the OS that would block it, I would imagine it will be 2 disc too.

Last edited:

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
It's going to take 26 hours for me to download. And that's without using the internet for anything else. Otherwise it slows to a halt. So i'll Download it over two nights I guess. Bummmmmmer

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god for my 2 tb ps4pro and new 400mbit internet speed

Is this the first time a game was so huge? I dont remember downloading anything bigger than 60 gb
I guess you aren't playing many big name games?

Gears of War 4 = 132GB
Forza Motorsport 7 = 99GB
Grand Theft Auto V = 72GB
Battlefield 1 = 81GB
DOOM = 67GB

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017

2) This double wide case:

SFIxt6r.jpg

3) The fact that the Digital Download only takes 50GB extra space when installing rather than the usual DOUBLE the size. The .pkg system will follow the disc structure, so it will download disc 1 .pkg, install, then disc 2 .pkg.

Not sure about XB1 as all the pictures we have are based on PS4 so far. But unless there's something funky in the OS that would block it, I would imagine it will be 2 disc too.

That's a fake mockup. Notice how it says 'Only On PlayStation', even though it's obviously not.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I guess you aren't playing many big name games?

Gears of War 4 = 132GB
Forza Motorsport 7 = 99GB
Grand Theft Auto V = 72GB
Battlefield 1 = 81GB
DOOM = 67GB
I do.
Dont have a xbox one.

Bf1 was 81gb on release? I have the gears 4 demo on pc. It was big i remember.

Thinking about it i downloaded the forza horizon 4 demo and it was huge on pc. More rhan 100gb for sure. 160 i think?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a fake mockup. Notice how it says 'Only On PlayStation', even though it's obviously not.

Good catch. I still think the other two factors are enough though. It would be really weird for RDR2 to be the one exception to not doubling the size of install on a digital download without a reason.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017

2) This double wide case (EDITED, probably fake)

Worth noting also the Japanese cover and now leaked Xbox / PS4 English covers feature new never before seen screenshots

bllymcixi

Alt Account
Oct 12, 2018
not a problem for me i think have like ~700GB left.

1TB should be the absolute minimum these days. I want to see 1TB + 2TB next gen models at the very least.

bllymcixi

Alt Account
Oct 12, 2018
thankfully HDD's are dirt cheap.

imagine if consoles had SSDs lol. yeah have fun buying a 1TB or 2TB SSD.