dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Having played the ps4 version so long this game feels weird at 60 fps, simply because it seems like the animations have been sped up or something. Like to me, it doesn't feel like going 30 fps console to 60 fps PC in GTAV, that game seemed normal at high frame-rates, here it just looks strange and "to fast" (to me).
Same thing happens with Final Fantasy XV. It feels like game animations are not designed for higher framerates. I don't know what this is (missing keyframes??) but i notice this.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
9900K/2080 Ti FE
3440x1440 Ultrawide
All settings individually set to Ultra, as using only the slider doesn't really set everything to Ultra. MSAA off
DX12 and Vulkan both resulted in an average of 60 FPS on benchmark.
Playing using DX12, getting 60+ most of the time but it can dip as low as 40.
Hopefully we'll have an analysis with the most taxing settings soon. I'm sure there are a few that make a negligible visual difference but yield a good performance boost.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Having played the ps4 version so long this game feels weird at 60 fps, simply because it seems like the animations have been sped up or something. Like to me, it doesn't feel like going 30 fps console to 60 fps PC in GTAV, that game seemed normal at high frame-rates, here it just looks strange and "to fast" (to me). (Not one of those "cinematic fps is awesome" posts, I'm just saying that in the code / behind the scenes it feels like they just increase how fast the game runs etc.)
Why not lock it to 30fps on your PC and see how the animations compare to 60fps, and then compare to PS4 at the same framerate.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9900K/2080 Ti FE
3440x1440 Ultrawide
All settings individually set to Ultra, as using only the slider doesn't really set everything to Ultra. MSAA off
DX12 and Vulkan both resulted in an average of 60 FPS on benchmark.
Playing using DX12, getting 60+ most of the time but it can dip as low as 40.
Hopefully we'll have an analysis with the most taxing settings soon. I'm sure there are a few that make a negligible visual difference but yield a good performance boost.

Easiest one will always be volumetric lighting, you'll probably save yourself 10 FPS there alone if you turn it down a bit.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
getting avg 60 fps in benchmark on 2700x + 2070. at 1440p I am using the settings set by geforce experience app.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I had many of the same problems as most trying to launch the game. Disabling the antivirus did the trick there. I feel like there are certain graphics adjustments that require a restart but it doesn't tell. Some it does but others it doesn't.

I have a 8700k and 1080ti and I have ultra on some thing and high on others. Lowering the volumetric things made a huge difference and the water. I'm hovering around 60 fps on 1440p.

All that said this is a disastrous launch just based on all the problems people are having. Even though I haven't had as many I attribute that to my knowhow. Someone less comfortable troubleshooting would be having a nightmare. They should be embarrassed and highly focused on fixing this mess.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
All that said this is a disastrous launch just based on all the problems people are having. Even though I haven't had as many I attribute that to my knowhow. Someone less comfortable troubleshooting would be having a nightmare. They should be embarrassed and highly focused on fixing this mess.

For sure. How in the hell has this game been in development more than a few months to release in this state?

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Can somebody else try to lower Water Physics and test it and then put it on max and test it again? So far that is what impacted my performance the most. I could put other settings to Low and still have issues but as soon as i lowered Water Physics to minimum i could crank everything else to Medium and some settings to High on my GTX 1060 6GB and get locked 50FPS.

Didn't make any difference for me when I just benchmarked it.

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure when I'll get the chance to try it, but looks like any dreams of 4k60 are shot even on a 2080 Ti without really having to tone stuff down.

Hopefully my 7700k doesn't bottleneck me too much. If I can get a locked 60 at 3440x1440 I'll be happy, but did want to try hit 4K60 on my OLED just to be wowed for a while.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
You're good for 1440p Ultra if you have a 2080Ti

Surprised how GPU-heavy it is though I guess the console versions were only hitting 30fps.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The game seems to be running pretty well for me. With the following settings:
Vulkan renderer
Running at ~1527p (in-game res set to 4K with res slider set to 50%)
Mix of mostly Ultra and some High settings
Maxed TAA and no FXAA or MSAA

I got a 99.9% stable 60 fps with consistent frametimes through the first hour. This is with a 2080ti and 8700k @ 4.4, installed on a Sata SSD, and a 60 Hz cap set in RTSS

Last edited:

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
i5-4690; GTX 970; 16GB DDR3; SSD
DX12; 2560:1080; Medium-High ~40-60fps

Textures at "High" but there must be a streaming issue. They look too low.
Other than that, I have some weird lighting/particle issue. No idea what the reason is.

screenshot9bmkka.png

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I tinkered around a bit with the graphics options, pulled back the custom settings switch towards a performance setting... after confirming the screen went black. Signal from the game never came back since then. I restarted the PC, everythings fine; I start the game, black screen.

Anyone else experiencing this?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I saw the recommended specs, I thought I was good to go with my 1070. From the replies in this thread, looks like I'm better off sticking with the PS4 Pro version if 60 fps is so tough to achieve

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a case of shit optimization or just demanding for the graphical fidelity it has ?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp that's my experience now too. Was great at the settings I mentioned earlier, and even fast traveling to a new free roam area doesn't clear my tanked frames. Still sitting at 20 FPS. Time to go try / play story mode then I guess until this gets sorted.
Yeah, has to be on their end.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
Can anybody with a lower-end machine post some impressions? I still have 3 more hours of work.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'll soon buy a laptop with the following specs:
i7 9750H
RTX 2070
32 GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
1080p 144 Hz screen

What sort of performance can I expect at 1080p?

how much were you going to spend on that? I've been looking for a laptop to play on the go and I figure with those specs, it'll run around 1500. Have you found any good deals?

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Ok, after tinkering with the options for the past 1.5 hours, this is what I've settled on. Not as extensive testing as I would have liked due to having to restart the game every time I want to run the benchmark tool.

Specs: Core i7-9700K, GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM, NVMe SSD
Settings: Maxed preset, Vulkan, 1440p
Average FPS: 31

I've decided to just put it on the max preset because the difference between that and the default medium preset is only about 12 fps with this resolution and graphics card. I just can't seem to hit a consistent 60 fps, so I might as well target 30 fps. I'm happy to say that 30 fps is pretty achievable even at the highest preset settings.

Now, small caveat: this is just with the benchmarking tool. I'm about to jump into the actual story mode now!

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
how much were you going to spend on that? I've been looking for a laptop to play on the go and I figure with those specs, it'll run around 1500. Have you found any good deals?
It's gonna cost me 1860€ and that's because I get lower taxes in the canary islands compared to mainland spain (it's deducted on checkout), regular price with regular taxes is 2099€. It's MSI.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
I switched back to 3840x2160 with mostly the balanced low/medium/high settings and 2 or 3 settings bumped up. Runs pretty stable at 60 fps and looks pretty amazing.

And I really prefer this over 1440p on ultra. Damn TAA blurs the image a lot more at 1440p than I thought at first. Maybe I try to fiddle with nvidia sharpening but for now I don't wanna go back to 1440p. And MSAA is out of question due to the perfomance hit.

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still completely unable to launch the game. Followed ever suggestion in their support article. Just completely wiped my graphics driver using DDU and reinstalled, completely uninstalled and redownloaded the entire 109 GB game. No luck. Same Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly error that is bombarding their twitter account. I guess I just wait for them to do something about it.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Is there supposed to be a problem with Vulcan? Seems flawless to me so far. GPU utilization is maxed with Vulcan. Hovering mostly around 90fps now.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I await DF's verdict on figuring out what settings the consoles most likely match, then il benchmark the game using them to see just how much better it would run all things being equal.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still completely unable to launch the game. Followed ever suggestion in their support article. Just completely wiped my graphics driver using DDU and reinstalled, completely uninstalled and redownloaded the entire 109 GB game. No luck. Same Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly error that is bombarding their twitter account. I guess I just wait for them to do something about it.

Do you have any overlays running? Discord, RTSS, Xbox game bar? Any antivirus?

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Same I've done everything possible too. It's really stupid. Even if there was a workaround that worked this is ridiculous to have to deal with. My PC is very capable and has zero problems with anything else.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
How do we access the images we've taken using the photo mode? Where does it save them to?