• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Last pics for today and a video. It's 2:30 am here, need to sleep. :D

Ja4Misi.png

MXnqv3D.png

And here is the video. 1080p, super sampled.
Yes, this is a 9 year old game.

Don't ask me why the title is in Japanese, I have no fucking idea. :D

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
it's wild how so many Rockstar games have aged so poorly yet this one will seemingly never look bad

TheDriftRider

Banned for being an alt account.
Apr 5, 2018
Welcome back John

although we will be seeing you again real soon (he's the guy in the far back)

df630dba991555621e2bc4e55f6c3ea7.jpg

hope you get along with Arthur :)

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I am just sad that MS won't do x2 resolution increase to 1440p on regular X1 instead of x3 times. I think that regular X1 can handle that. Also X1S getting 1440p support soon.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the game in motion in this fidelity is something else. Can't believe this actually happened.

TheDriftRider

Apr 5, 2018
so is this proof that Rockstar was just being lazy about their "terrible code" excuse and they could of really ported RDR if they wanted too lol

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Did not have a lot of time, but just gave the game a quick shot and damn does it look good. Being able to see the details far off the screen is just amazing. Damn impressed!

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
Pro tip for all you photo mode lovers - if you idle in Red Dead, the camera will zoom out and give you a landscape view.

Oct 31, 2017
The thing is, with next gen probably coming in about 2 years time, I was thinking I could ride out this gen with a really cheap S and jump on board the next gen with a super charged system from the get go since backwards compatibility would surely be something that caries through from now on for any Xbox going forward.

If I were you, I would get a 1S.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Just played for about a hour after just recently playing last week and it's night and day. Game looks best at a distance as faces and such still look rough by today's standards but it's truly magical what they've done with this. Had some jaw dropping moments just riding around on a horse that I didn't have doing the same thing last time I played.
Now if we could get HDR my head would explode.
Great job Microsoft. Can't wait to play Jedi Academy and Republic Commando

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Did they mess with foliage distance? This looks fucking insane. It extends so far into the distance.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Didn't the 360 version have 4xMSAA too? IQ must be stupid good if still maintains that in 4k

It's a vast jump over the 360 to be sure. But not perfect, if I'm being pedantic. Still shimmering and sub-pixel aliasing, which MSAA is not suited to handle. MSAA kind of sucks compared to many of the modern AA techniques that have been developed.

Okay. Going to bed now for real as 1am.

Some quick thoughts:

- For an 8 year old game, this looks incredible.
- Native 4K, it's approaching 10 times the resolution - ridiculous.
- Locked 30fps and no judder in recorded footage.
- 16x AF on textures too.
- Wow. MS and Rockstar are giving away a remaster for free.

The online still works too, runs in 4K and people are still in the lobbies.

I felt like I noticed some dropped frames/frame pacing issues in the intro cut scenes, but nothing during gameplay thus far.

Did they mess with foliage distance? This looks fucking insane. It extends so far into the distance.

I was wondering about this too. I have no idea if RDR's LOD code varies dynamically with CPU load (in which case it should be improved on S/X), or if it's locked. Witcher 2 had LOD improvements, so it might the same here.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm extremely tempted to buy an xb1x just to play all of these 4k 360 games. Puts every other platform holder's legacy content to shame.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Looks beautiful... but still no substitute for a proper PC port/current gen remaster. Assuming that's never gonna happen, hopefully an emulator will allow us to play this game at higher resolutions and 60+fps someday.

(Still jealous af.)

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the coolest shit. Free update to one of the best games of all time. I wish I had an Xbox One X now.

*stares sadly at his OG Xbox One*

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I were you, I would get a 1S.
I'm really heavily leaning that way. There's so many games coming out on Switch alone that I want to keep up with in the coming months that besides buying a whole bunch of Xbox games, along with an extra 300+ cost on a system would be a bit much.
Especially since I've Just bought close to 20 360 games last week, including a 100€ copy of Bullet Soul, 8 new Switch games at full price and tonight ordered 12 Xbox one games.
So yeah, I'm on my way to bankruptcy if I keep this up. ;)

TheDriftRider

Apr 5, 2018
this should get us in preparation for RDR 2

i saw this image, looks pretty accurate

MUxW4fF.jpg

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ.

I have not cared about an Xbox One X or 4K gaming until this moment.

Damn.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
This is insane. I'm still enjoying Doom and Resident Evil 7. I waited for the 1X enhancements for my first play throughs.

Now I have to stop everything, finally get out of Mexico, and finish Red Dead Redemption once and for all in stunning 4K. Crazy.

Last edited:

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this looks amazing.

If it weren't for MLB The Show, I would seriously be considering trading in my PS4 Pro for the OneX.