• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony must bury the crap of PSNow and learn from Microsoft in this area.

Oct 27, 2017
This is huge. Gamepass was already a big step in the right direction, but If MS keeps doing stuff like this I will have no choice but to buy a xbox x. Funny how things change so quick.

Oct 26, 2017
Is the patch available stateside because I haven't seen an update yet.

I think there was a setting to have all games automatically update 4K patches if available or am I crazy? Is that only in preview program?

Nov 14, 2017
When Developers make games what resolution do they create the assets in? So during the 360 days were they all using 4k as the asset resolution for there original working files scaling them down later on for consoles? Were they working in higher than 4k resolutions so someday we can have 8k Red Dead? I really don't understand the process of taking these games and making them Native 4k.

I know with old movies regular film was much higher quality than 1080p so it was easy for them to release remasters with the Native film, but if a game was originally designed for 1080p in the day and that's how all the assets were created how do they have it be in 4k without redoing all the assets from scratch?
Games aren't "mastered" like film is, they're rendered in realtime; it's more like reshooting the movie (assets) with a better camera (rendering resolution). The resolution is simply how many pixels the renderer outputs per frame, which is why PC games can run in a huge variety of resolutions just by changing a couple of lines in a settings file (usually). This means that if you increase the rendering resolution, there's always going to be more pixels making up the image and therefore more detail and less aliasing. There's no necessary relationship between the fidelity of an asset (texture resolution, polygon count etc...) and the resolution that the renderer displays it in. However you can have detail that is obscured by a low resolution or diminishing returns for a low-fidelity asset rendered in a higher resolution. Compare RDR in 4K and Far Cry 5 in 4K and you'll see that the assets in the latter are obviously higher fidelity, but the image quality, aliasing etc... are comparable.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont have any download prompt but I'm sure that it has been updated seeing how clean it looks. And I have the Xbox one X setting

How can it update without any prompt or anything in my queue or recently installed tab

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about a One X because I need a 4k Blu Ray player, but this is just icing on the cake.

Can I just put my 360 disc in to get access?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Sony must bury the crap of PSNow and learn from Microsoft in this area.
I wonder when Nintendo will learn from this. If they will learn from this.
it09.jpg

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just downloaded the game on my X1X, I don't need to adjust any new settings or anything right? I can just start playing and enjoying 4k?

Oct 26, 2017
I dont have any download prompt but I'm sure that it has been updated seeing how clean it looks. And I have the Xbox one X setting

How can it update without any prompt or anything in my queue or recently installed tab

I've had mine installed on my hard drive since last year but don't see any hints in queue or anywhere that the patch was installed.

For those of you sure you have the new patch installed, can you provide Version number? You would hover over the game app, hit start, manage and on the installed tab it should be written on top right

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had mine installed on my hard drive since last year but don't see any hints in queue or anywhere that the patch was installed.

For those of you sure you have the new patch installed, can you provide Version number? You would hover over the game app, hit start, manage and on the installed tab it should be written on top right
It says last updated 10/24/17. 1.0.1803.4089

But I'm almost'sure The update has been done I have the X setting (performance/graphics)

Maybe the store didn't update yet ? It's the same
For gears / portal 2

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
It says last updated 10/24/17. 1.0.1803.4089

But I'm almost'sure The update has been done I have the X setting (performance/graphics)

Maybe the store didn't update yet ? It's the same
For gears / portal 2

This happens on my X sometimes. Sonic Generations shows up in the enhanced section but RDR doesn't. Click RB+LB+Start+select over RDR in the games and app section. It will show a date of the last update. X1 enhanced will still show false until your Xbox recognizes that it's xenhanced even though the patch is installed.

And as long as you have X options in the 360 home menu, it's X enhanced.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
Now the question for me is not will I, but when am I getting an Xbox One X. Seems to be working in my favor as I've slowly built an online catalog. Too bad most of my 360 games were physical releases and I spent a bulk of my money on PSN for the PS3.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Usually I never replay games, but just bought an X last week for FC5. Might need to make an exception for RDD.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Again, this makes me extremely sad we also didnt get a PC version of this. This looks great and makes me want to possibly get an X. But god damn.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Now the question for me is not will I, but when am I getting an Xbox One X. Seems to be working in my favor as I've slowly built an online catalog. Too bad most of my 360 games were physical releases and I spent a bulk of my money on PSN for the PS3.
you can put your 360 discs in if a game is in the BC catalog. This will trigger the download of the game. Only thing to play a BC game if it is not digital is to put the disc into the Xbox One.

Last edited:

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
This may get more play time on Xbox than some new releases this period. Makes sense that Microsoft keeps twisting the knife with regards to bc since Sony's PS3 architecture unfortunately makes this a pipe dream on their platform.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This may get more play time on Xbox than some new releases this period. Makes sense that Microsoft keeps twisting the knife with regards to bc since Sony's PS3 architecture unfortunately makes this a pipe dream on their platform.

That PS3 emulator is coming a long way. I don't get why Sony don't work on something like that.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I just played for a good two hours. It's face meltingly beautiful - and it makes me so happy to have an X. The frame rate was solid during a high intensity Irish mission at Gaptooth Ridge.

Give me a GTA IV patch, and this console just keeps blowing me away. It's the perfect way to get ready for Red Dead Redemption 2, a full replay is warranted!

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
you can out your 360 discs in if a game is in the BC catalog. This will trigger the download of the game. Only thing to play a BC game if it is not digital is to put the disc into the Xbox One.
Dangit. Good to know, but I got rid of all my 360 games after my system RROD. I think I'm sticking to an all digital library when it comes to MS, they've shown some goodwill recently. When it comes to RDR2 I'm still undecided on which platform.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
This happens on my X sometimes. Sonic Generations shows up in the enhanced section but RDR doesn't. Click RB+LB+Start+select over RDR in the games and app section. It will show a date of the last update. X1 enhanced will still show false until your Xbox recognizes that it's xenhanced even though the patch is installed.

And as long as you have X options in the 360 home menu, it's X enhanced.
Holy shit I didnt even know you could do this

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
That PS3 emulator is coming a long way. I don't get why Sony don't work on something like that.

May not be worth it if it's just emulating the base PS3 experience. The selling point would be visual / performance upscaling. Hell, Sony wrote the book on this with how PS3 emulated PS2 and PSone with added bells and whistles.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
The team did a great job with "remastering" Gears 3, Forza H, Witcher 2 etc. and this one is no exception. The game looks absolutely beautiful now and I`m tempted to buy a XOX again.